Bryce Brentz triples in AFL opener

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Bryce Brentz triples in AFL opener

Red Sox outfield prospect Bryce Brentz tripled and scored a run in the Surprise Saguaros' loss to the Peoria Javelinas in their Arizona Fall League opener:

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l119&t=g_box&gid=2012_10_09_surwin_perwin_1

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Bryce Brentz triples in AFL opener

And Brock Huntzinger looked like crap...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Brentz looked very strong in Pawtucket this year (towards the end) sometimes things just click for a young prospect and when they are ready....they are ready.  

Not saying this is the case, and I still have concerns with his plate discipline, but he just may be ready by next spring. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red Sox outfield prospect Bryce Brentz tripled and scored a run in the Surprise Saguaros' loss to the Peoria Javelinas in their Arizona Fall League opener:

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l119&t=g_box&gid=2012_10_09_surwin_perwin_1

[/QUOTE]

Whoop de do. Means nothing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

At his age, he shouldn't be playing in the AFL. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you also monitor every AB of Seattle prospects?

[/QUOTE]

So Pike, do you or do you not post under multiple screen names or not and, if so, why?  Those are easy questions to answer!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:

Do you also monitor every AB of Seattle prospects?

I indeed follow Seattle prospects in the Arizona Fall League:

http://forums.seattletimes.nwsource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=190092

http://seattletimes.com/html/marinersblog/2019387580_mariners_prospect_james_paxton.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Ignore soxchemistry, Hill.  It's just the same old rubbish from the pathetic, lonely Pike i.e. "You're not a Sox fan, you don't belong here, you're ruining the board, ad nauseum".

The board needs more Hills, Zacs, Stevens, Jetes, etc. regardless of their home team and fewer idiots like Pike and his creepy list of pseudonyms.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Any good news is welcome news!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lots of guys 23 go to AFL for various reasons. Brentz is about ready for MLB. The same thing was said about WMB and the plate discipline. They both will have their share of K's, but also their share of long balls too...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Will Middlebrooks played in the Arizona Fall League last year at age 23.

Jacoby Ellsbury played in the Arizona Fall League in 2006 at age 23.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Will Middlebrooks played in the Arizona Fall League last year at age 23.

Jacoby Ellsbury played in the Arizona Fall League in 2006 at age 23.

Hill, 

Isn't Sachel Page still playing in the AFL at 110. 

Hetch

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

The biggest disappointed for me was that, when they were going bad in September, and after the trade, why didn't Cherry bring up some of these prospects, who showed they can hit? Like Brentz, bogarts, bradley. Great opportunity missed IMHO. You look at all the rookies that helped Oakland get into the play offs. Who do we get Podsednik , an passed by use date 37 yo. Yes I know Iggy was there, good idea, but it's pretty clear he will make it on his defense.  He however needs to be in a lineup with hitters.

Once Middlebrooks and Ortiz went down, the party, if there ever was one was over. They should have used the opportunity to give these future players a cup of coffee. IMO not only was the season abbysmal , but the poor roster managemnet when all was lost , bodes very ominous for the future. BC is clearly out of his depth, he waited to long to sign a manager last year, I hope he signs a new manager before Christmas. 

Unloading Gonzo, Crawford, and Beckett, was a brilliant move, that deal alone gave BC another year as GM. But if they don't contend next year , or at least develope a young star, on the Big League roster, he's gone. They should have backed the Brinks truck up years ago to sign Billy Beane. Yera after year the A's come up with new exciting pitchers. The demise of Lester and Buchholtz , keeping head cases like Aceves, Bard . The future looks questionable at best.

Hope they come up with some bats, and get a young starter who throws 95 plus. That would be a start, back to respectability.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to aussiewill2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The biggest disappointed for me was that, when they were going bad in September, and after the trade, why didn't Cherry bring up some of these prospects, who showed they can hit? Like Brentz, bogarts, bradley. Great opportunity missed IMHO. You look at all the rookies that helped Oakland get into the play offs. Who do we get Podsednik , an passed by use date 37 yo. Yes I know Iggy was there, good idea, but it's pretty clear he will make it on his defense.  He however needs to be in a lineup with hitters.

Once Middlebrooks and Ortiz went down, the party, if there ever was one was over. They should have used the opportunity to give these future players a cup of coffee. IMO not only was the season abbysmal , but the poor roster managemnet when all was lost , bodes very ominous for the future. BC is clearly out of his depth, he waited to long to sign a manager last year, I hope he signs a new manager before Christmas. 

Unloading Gonzo, Crawford, and Beckett, was a brilliant move, that deal alone gave BC another year as GM. But if they don't contend next year , or at least develope a young star, on the Big League roster, he's gone. They should have backed the Brinks truck up years ago to sign Billy Beane. Yera after year the A's come up with new exciting pitchers. The demise of Lester and Buchholtz , keeping head cases like Aceves, Bard . The future looks questionable at best.

Hope they come up with some bats, and get a young starter who throws 95 plus. That would be a start, back to respectability.

[/QUOTE]

They werent on the 40 man roster. The only ones that were, because they were being protected from the rule 5 draft, were Drake Britton and Stolmy Pimentel. Im sure there will certainly be some new names on the 40-man for next season.

I agree that they couldve put WMB and papi on the 60-day DL to make to new spots, but Im sure they had their reasons why they didnt.

From what I understand they offered Beane a very lucrative contract that he turned down, which is when LL mentioned Theo who like Beane, is a sabermetrics guy...

Rubby DeLaRosa could be that guy you describe who throws 95 plus. Hes got a devastating change-up and 2 other plus pitches. Hes had some control issues and only 13 months off TJS so he'll start the year in AAA. Barnes is another guy who can dial it up over 95mph and is looking very good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox outfield prospect Bryce Brentz went 2-for-4 with a homerun on Friday in Surprise's loss to Mesa in the Arizona Fall League:

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2012_10_12_surwin_msswin_1&t=g_box&sid=l119

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It sure would be nice if Brentz pulled a WMB next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It sure would be nice if Brentz pulled a WMB next year.

[/QUOTE]

Ive been high on this kid since I saw him at Middle Tenn. Just looked like a ballplayer, if that makes any sense.

I think he could have solid numbers, similar to what I thought/think WMB will have...280avg 350obp 500slg with a bunch of K's 2b and Hr's...

Now, Im not saying those numbers will happen in his 1st year, but he has that kind of potential.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Southpaw--Re: Bradley--he had some injury at the end of the AA reg. season. In addition he went back to South Carolina to work on his degree. Perhaps if he hadn't been injured he may have moved to the PawSox for the playoffs. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox prospect Bryce Brentz went 2-for-4 with an RBI Saturday in Surprise's 10-2 win over Salt River:

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2012_10_13_srrwin_surwin_1&t=g_box&sid=l119

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Brentz did very well for the Surprise Saguraos. I think we will see him sometime in 2013 playing OF in Fenway. Regardless of what some think of him, I believe he will be a solid player in MLB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Southpaw--Re: Bradley--he had some injury at the end of the AA reg. season. In addition he went back to South Carolina to work on his degree. Perhaps if he hadn't been injured he may have moved to the PawSox for the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

I think he wouldve finished the year in AA. He will probably start the year out there, but will be quickly moved up to AAA if his numbers continue. Like Brentz, I see him as a solid future OF in Fenway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I think he wouldve finished the year in AA. He will probably start the year out there, but will be quickly moved up to AAA if his numbers continue. Like Brentz, I see him as a solid future OF in Fenway.

He sure looked like just about the ideal leadoff guy for much of last year. His plate discipline is excellent. He has a very good arm too, which you can't say about Ellsbury. I really like Ellsbury, but I think his arm is made out of spaghetti. Bradley hit the wall a little bit after his promotion to Portland, but I think that had a lot to do with his first professional season being a lot longer than any baseball season he's ever played in. The other thing I like about JBJ is if you've ever seen any interviews with him, he seems like just the kind of young man you want on your baseball team. Selfishly I'm hoping he doesn't get moved up to Pawtucket too quickly, as I'd like to get to see him play in Portland a bit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

He sure looked like just about the ideal leadoff guy for much of last year. His plate discipline is excellent. He has a very good arm too, which you can't say about Ellsbury. I really like Ellsbury, but I think his arm is made out of spaghetti. Bradley hit the wall a little bit after his promotion to Portland, but I think that had a lot to do with his first professional season being a lot longer than any baseball season he's ever played in. The other thing I like about JBJ is if you've ever seen any interviews with him, he seems like just the kind of young man you want on your baseball team. Selfishly I'm hoping he doesn't get moved up to Pawtucket too quickly, as I'd like to get to see him play in Portland a bit.

[/QUOTE]

Ells cant even reach the cut off man with that arm. And I though Damon was bad. JBJ IS the perfect leadoff hitter. Solid OBP and pitch recognition. I have seen him in interviews and he seems to have an excellent baseball mind. I look forward to watching him and Brentz playing in Boston.

I also hope he starts the year in AA for the same selfish reasons :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I've got to say that Ellsbury's arm is a quantum leap better than Damon's. C'mon.

Sections
Shortcuts