BTW, looks like SALTY is not held in Ben's eyes as he was in Theo's.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BTW, looks like SALTY is not held in Ben's eyes as he was in Theo's.......

Just saying ......... What say you ?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Re: BTW, looks like SALTY is not held in Ben's eyes as he was in Theo's.......

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't get it. Salty and Ross seems like a good combo. Unless they pony up for McCann (which I doubt) Salty seems like the perfect bridge to Swihart on a 3 year $30 million contract. No thanks on AJ, Navarro and Hanigan. Saltalamaccia is the best option out there. Get it done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to tripleb2066's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't get it. Salty and Ross seems like a good combo. Unless they pony up for McCann (which I doubt) Salty seems like the perfect bridge to Swihart on a 3 year $30 million contract. No thanks on AJ, Navarro and Hanigan. Saltalamaccia is the best option out there. Get it done.

[/QUOTE]I like Ryan Lavarnway........   The next "CARLTON FISK"  !!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I would agree with your assessment in that Ben does not seem to be as big a fan of Saltalamacchia as Epstein was.

I have liked Saltalamacchia's progress over the last couple of years, but he is still not a really good defensive catcher.  I do like his offensive improvements.

He can still get better with his hitting and maybe his defense, but perhaps Ben thinks that he has hit his peak and does not want to pay him for longer than two years when he would likely start to start to decline.

Ben must have his reasons, and some day we may hear or read what they are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive mentioned this a few times before Bill. Ryan Lavarnway is certainly NOT the apple of Bens eye as far as future catcher goes either. Hes a terrible defender (much worse than Salty) and now that his offense has fallen off a cliff, hes basically worthless behind the dish in any more than a BU/emergency role. Ive said it before and Ill say it again...Give the kid a 1b mit for crying out loud. Make him more versitile.

If Salty doesnt take a 2 year deal (they might go 3) I can see a guy like Navarro coming in. Hes had great offensive numbers the last 2 years, throws out runners at a near 30% and also plays solid D. Hes a fiery competitor who can call a good game as well as switch hit. Teammates have talked good about him as far as the clubhouse thing goes too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe some people in the Sox Organization feel Vasquez could be ready as soon as the middle of next season, so they'd rather avoid any commitments to a catcher longer than 2 years. As you mentioned, they also have Swihart as well as another young kid named Jon Denney who is highly touted.  Lots of options, so I would imagine they'll let the market develop.  The guy they wanted, Ruiz, got a 3 year deal & that was not going to happen with Boston...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe some people in the Sox Organization feel Vasquez could be ready as soon as the middle of next season, so they'd rather avoid any commitments to a catcher longer than 2 years. As you mentioned, they also have Swihart as well as another young kid named Jon Denney who is highly touted.  Lots of options, so I would imagine they'll let the market develop.  The guy they wanted, Ruiz, got a 3 year deal & that was not going to happen with Boston...

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Vasquez will get a shot. Hes a defensive stud. MLB ready and better than a lot of guys already in the show in that regard. His offensive improvements were very noticable last year. The Sox told him to concentrate on offense and he really showed them something. BB% went up and K% went down. Good OBP and BA. Not much power to speak of right now, but can certainly get a hold of one. Perfect build for a catcher 5'9 200+LBS. Hes a baby bull. He works out with the Molinas every offseason, so Im sure hes learned a few things. Ben is very high on this kid. There are still some scouts that arent sure if Swihart will stick at catcher. Hes an offensive kid more than a defensive kid at this point. at 6'1 and 185LBS, he better fill out some more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't see it like that Bill.  Theo was hot on Salty as a developing prospect, no doubt.  But it is actually Cherrington who, in the face of pundits insisting a better option be brought in, stuck with Salty the last two years as Salty developed into a serviceable backstop and a solid (if flawed) bat (as far as catchers go).

The fact that Cherrington is not going all in to re-up Salty at this juncture of the off-season doesn't mean he has not valued Salty.  It just means that the guy's FA value is not yet established and also that there are some good catching options out there that would be a significant upgrade (read: McCann) and that the system has some good C prospects that play into what the Sox are willing to pony up for on Jarrod.

I guarantee if Theo were still here, he wouldn't be throwing  big numbers out for Salty on 11/22/13.  How you value someone 4 or 5 years ago as a prospect/rookie/super-rookie (seems like Salty had like 5 rookie seasons) and how you value you him as a free agent four years later are two very different things.  Apples and oranges Bill.  what say you?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Salty showed what he is when the pressure is on, and on top of that teams don't hesitate to challenge his arm.  They sent him to the bench because he was losing world series games.

Of all Sox players he's the one I'd least like to see return, but I believe they're going to sign him up for 2 more years as a bridge to the young catchers they like in the minors. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty showed what he is when the pressure is on, and on top of that teams don't hesitate to challenge his arm.  They sent him to the bench because he was losing world series games.

Of all Sox players he's the one I'd least like to see return, but I believe they're going to sign him up for 2 more years as a bridge to the young catchers they like in the minors. 

[/QUOTE]

Salty had a lot of clutch hits for the Sox in the past 2 years.  Other than Ortiz and Vic....most players weren't that 'clutch for them in the WS.  It's the nature of the beast....it's the ultimate in pressure so numbers are bound to go down.  I'd really like to see him back.  I think Ross and Salty did a GREAT job of handling the pitching staff. 

I agree with you though about the 2 year deal.  I really think though that he'll not take a 2 year as I'm sure he'll get a 4 year offer from somebody.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Salty was the guy that battled through the dog days when Ross went down and Lavarnway couldnt be trusted. He put up his best offensive numbers of his career and had a number of key hits throughout the year and in the playoffs. Give me a break about the cs%. McCann is 1% better than him. Salty was praised by the pitching/coaching staff, but Unfortunately by the end of October he looked worn out. Sorry mex, but IMHO you couldnt be further from the truth. He thrives in the Boston atmosphere. He was at about 140 games plyed when he was replaced. Ross was fresh. Nothing more.

You and other that dont like Salty will look at it this way. But you all would be wrong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see it like that Bill.  Theo was hot on Salty as a developing prospect, no doubt.  But it is actually Cherrington who, in the face of pundits insisting a better option be brought in, stuck with Salty the last two years as Salty developed into a serviceable backstop and a solid (if flawed) bat (as far as catchers go).

The fact that Cherrington is not going all in to re-up Salty at this juncture of the off-season doesn't mean he has not valued Salty.  It just means that the guy's FA value is not yet established and also that there are some good catching options out there that would be a significant upgrade (read: McCann) and that the system has some good C prospects that play into what the Sox are willing to pony up for on Jarrod.

I guarantee if Theo were still here, he wouldn't be throwing  big numbers out for Salty on 11/22/13.  How you value someone 4 or 5 years ago as a prospect/rookie/super-rookie (seems like Salty had like 5 rookie seasons) and how you value you him as a free agent four years later are two very different things.  Apples and oranges Bill.  what say you?

[/QUOTE]More like WINE & ROSES  !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

YOU GUYS DO REALIZE SALTY IS AS GOOD A CATCHER AS MCCANN AND YOUNGER AND A BETTER HITTER

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

YOU GUYS DO REALIZE SALTY IS AS GOOD A CATCHER AS MCCANN AND YOUNGER AND A BETTER HITTER

[/QUOTE]

I am not against signing Salty.  I think if you add the caveat 'dollar for dollar', your point is valid.  McCann is going to be costly.  But, from what I have seen, McCann is a significantly better catcher and probably even hitting, but less holes in his swing.  In a vacuum I would much rather have McCann, but if your point is that Salty is a still a very viable option, no question Jim.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Salty had a lot of clutch hits for the Sox in the past 2 years.  Other than Ortiz and Vic....most players weren't that 'clutch for them in the WS.  It's the nature of the beast....it's the ultimate in pressure so numbers are bound to go down.  I'd really like to see him back.  I think Ross and Salty did a GREAT job of handling the pitching staff. 

I agree with you though about the 2 year deal.  I really think though that he'll not take a 2 year as I'm sure he'll get a 4 year offer from somebody.

[/QUOTE]

Salty was a clutch hitter in 2012 on a last place team, how clutch is that?  Moon, who is a Salty backer, can show you the stats on the 2013 contending team and they show Salty as a poor clutch hitter during this season.  He ended on the bench in the world series, there's not much to add to the eloquence of that fact.  The argument that sp makes about his being tired just carries no water as far as I'm concerned; the guy's 28, there are off days all over the playoff schedule.  He was benched for his awful play when it counted most, plain and simple.  Hope you're right about someone giving him a 4 year deal Hail; he's a good guy and everyone likes him as a person, I just don't happen to be a fan of Salty's game and would prefer almost anyone behind the dish for the Sox.  I'll root for him to excel if he stays though!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Salty improved his clutch hitting Big time, especially after June. End of June he was hitting .232 with 2 outs and RISP. He finished the year at .283 with 2 outs and RISP. Means he hit .334 from July-Oct. with 2 outs and RISP. Biggest clutch stat there is.

His other clutch stats improved big time this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

but Unfortunately by the end of October he looked worn out.  He was at about 140 games plyed when he was replaced. Ross was fresh. Nothing more.

[/QUOTE]

Completely untrue. He was actually only at 131 games played and 129 games caught. He caught just 15 more games in the regular season then in his previous 2 seasons. Its pure false conjecture that this caused him to wear down.

Lets start with the fact that he was getting stronger as the season went on offensively. He put up a .823 OPS in August. A .945 OPS in September. And a 1.208 OPS after September 10th. Are these the numbers of a guy wearing down?

Secondly, he played extremely little between September 20th and October 27th, the day he was replaced. In those 37 days, he played a total of just 14 games, three of which were not full games and none that went extra innings. Yet somehow on the 28th, he was pooped out and needed to be replaced?

Salty was striking out in the playoffs against power pitching. Something he had a huge problem with in the regular season as well[.503 OPS and 31 K's in 76 PA's]. That and his horrible decision defensively at the end of game 3 is why he sat against that Cardinal pitching staff. Especially because Ross was getting it done. It had nothing to do with being tired and everything to do with defense and 94 mph fast balls.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

just a feeling..but i think we end up with aj pierzynski...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Theo likes Salty better than Ben does, then why does Ben pay Salty 10x as much?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Theo likes Salty better than Ben does, then why does Ben pay Salty 10x as much?

[/QUOTE]Not really ......  Salty is gone !!

Sections
Shortcuts