Buccholz Looks Good in Outing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Buccholz Looks Good in Outing

Clay Buchholz tossed 32 pitches in a simulated game.

Buchholz, out since June 17 with a stress fracture in his back, faced a quartet of September call-ups in Joey Gathright, Jose Iglesias, Ryan Lavarnway and Lars Anderson. The simulated game went about as well as the Red Sox could have hoped. Buchholz reported no pain after throwing at what he estimated at 85 percent intensity.

“Location wasn’t what it should be, which is expected, but the ball’s coming out of my hand and no problem with the back. It felt good,” said Buchholz. “Everything was fine. Trying to not compensate for anything and finish my delivery like I normally would.”

Buchholz looked smooth, and he said he was able to throw all of his pitches. Two of the hitters who faced him saw a pitcher that didn’t look as if he hasn’t faced live batters in three months.

“The cutter into me, the two-seamer away, changeup to start, a couple of curveballs — everything was electric,” said Anderson.

“A few pitches got away, but that’s understandable; he’s just coming back. Velocity was there, command was there, movement with all his pitches,” Gathright said. “It was fun for him I’m guessing, not for us. Everything looked like it was there. He should be ready soon.”

One of the brighter spots for Buchholz had to be the command he displayed with his two-seamer and cutter — pitches he expected would take longer for him to control than his four-seamer and changeup. They certainly looked sharp, especially to the left-handed hitters.

“It looked good,” Gathright said of the cutter that drew multiple swings and misses during the brief simulated game. “He obviously needs to hone it down and get everything back to where he wants it. The movement that he needed today was there for somebody who hadn’t pitched in a while. From now, you take the positives and keep moving forward. Everything was moving and had some kind of depth to it.”

“[They] felt pretty good,” said Buchholz of the cutter and two-seamer. “Location is a big thing with those two pitches. If you start the cutter middle and it stays on the plate, it’s a pitch they can hit. It’s a pitch that you want to start off the plate and run it off or off the plate and run it on. It’s the same thing with the two-seamer. It’s tough getting that feel back for those two pitches. Hopefully with the time we’ve got I’ll be able to get that feel.”

Buchholz will throw another simulated game either Thursday or Friday, depending on the availability at Yankee Stadium.

The four hitters were far from the only Red Sox interested in the proceedings. Alongside pitching coach Curt Young, the bystanders included Josh Beckett, Dustin Pedroia, Mike Aviles and Jed Lowrie.

The intrigue surrounding Buchholz’s simulated game speaks to how crucial his recovery is to what Boston hopes to do if it reaches the postseason. Starting again appears unrealistic. When asked if he could pitch in the final series of the year, Buchholz inferred he meant as a starter, saying, “I don’t know if I’ll be able to build up to throw five innings.”

Of course, it isn’t as if Boston’s healthy starters can be counted on for five innings these days. That’s a mark they’ve reached only 11 times in 20 September games, including Tuesday night.

But even if he comes back only to help the Red Sox bullpen, Buchholz could provide a tremendous lift. The number of reliable relievers in the Boston pen has shrunk over the last two months.

Buchholz has the potential to be like Alfredo Aceves out of the pen: an innings-eater with starters’ stuff. If used as a reliever, he can help bridge the gap to Daniel Bard and Jonathan Papelbon — no small task in October.

Of course, Buchholz’s participation this year remains conditional — on his health and on Boston holding off the Rays over the final eight days of the season.

tbritton@providencejournal.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Buccholz Looks Good in Outing

I predict that the Sox will win a simulated World Series , with Clay as the simulated MVP.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gramercy-Park. Show Gramercy-Park's posts

In Response to Buccholz Looks Good in Outing:
      Clay Buchholz tossed 32 pitches in a simulated game. Buchholz, out since June 17 with a stress fracture in his back, faced a quartet of September call-ups in Joey Gathright , Jose Iglesias, Ryan Lavarnway and Lars Anderson. The simulated game went about as well as the Red Sox could have hoped. Buchholz reported no pain after throwing at what he estimated at 85 percent intensity. “Location wasn’t what it should be, which is expected, but the ball’s coming out of my hand and no problem with the back. It felt good,” said Buchholz. “Everything was fine. Trying to not compensate for anything and finish my delivery like I normally would.” Buchholz looked smooth, and he said he was able to throw all of his pitches. Two of the hitters who faced him saw a pitcher that didn’t look as if he hasn’t faced live batters in three months. “The cutter into me, the two-seamer away, changeup to start, a couple of curveballs — everything was electric,” said Anderson. “A few pitches got away, but that’s understandable; he’s just coming back. Velocity was there, command was there, movement with all his pitches,” Gathright said. “It was fun for him I’m guessing, not for us. Everything looked like it was there. He should be ready soon.” One of the brighter spots for Buchholz had to be the command he displayed with his two-seamer and cutter — pitches he expected would take longer for him to control than his four-seamer and changeup. They certainly looked sharp, especially to the left-handed hitters. “It looked good,” Gathright said of the cutter that drew multiple swings and misses during the brief simulated game. “He obviously needs to hone it down and get everything back to where he wants it. The movement that he needed today was there for somebody who hadn’t pitched in a while. From now, you take the positives and keep moving forward. Everything was moving and had some kind of depth to it.” “[They] felt pretty good,” said Buchholz of the cutter and two-seamer. “Location is a big thing with those two pitches. If you start the cutter middle and it stays on the plate, it’s a pitch they can hit. It’s a pitch that you want to start off the plate and run it off or off the plate and run it on. It’s the same thing with the two-seamer. It’s tough getting that feel back for those two pitches. Hopefully with the time we’ve got I’ll be able to get that feel.” Buchholz will throw another simulated game either Thursday or Friday, depending on the availability at Yankee Stadium. The four hitters were far from the only Red Sox interested in the proceedings. Alongside pitching coach Curt Young, the bystanders included Josh Beckett , Dustin Pedroia , Mike Aviles and Jed Lowrie . The intrigue surrounding Buchholz’s simulated game speaks to how crucial his recovery is to what Boston hopes to do if it reaches the postseason. Starting again appears unrealistic. When asked if he could pitch in the final series of the year, Buchholz inferred he meant as a starter, saying, “I don’t know if I’ll be able to build up to throw five innings.” Of course, it isn’t as if Boston’s healthy starters can be counted on for five innings these days. That’s a mark they’ve reached only 11 times in 20 September games, including Tuesday night. But even if he comes back only to help the Red Sox bullpen, Buchholz could provide a tremendous lift. The number of reliable relievers in the Boston pen has shrunk over the last two months. Buchholz has the potential to be like Alfredo Aceves out of the pen: an innings-eater with starters’ stuff. If used as a reliever, he can help bridge the gap to Daniel Bard and Jonathan Papelbon — no small task in October. Of course, Buchholz’s participation this year remains conditional — on his health and on Boston holding off the Rays over the final eight days of the season. tbritton@providencejournal.com
    Posted by BeaconHill19

He should be ready to go for next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Buccholz Looks Good in Outing:
    I predict that the Sox will win a simulated World Series , with Clay as the simulated MVP.
    Posted by dgalehouse

lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

How do you look good in a simulated outing with your own teamates in there and you aren't throwing 100%?  He hasn't thrown in a game since June and you are saying he looks good?

It's a darn simulated game where your own teammates take some cuts at a less than 100% pitch. Please.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Nice news, but too little, way too late.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

"The intrigue surrounding Buchholz’s simulated game speaks to how crucial his recovery is to what Boston hopes to do if it reaches the postseason. Starting again appears unrealistic. When asked if he could pitch in the final series of the year, Buchholz inferred he meant as a starter, saying, “I don’t know if I’ll be able to build up to throw five innings.”

Lackey can't throw 5, Wakefield can't throw 5, Weiland can't throw 5, Miller can't throw 5.

If he can throw without pain or discomfort then take what you can get from him it would be some shot in the arm just to see him try to come back and try to get this team a win - somehow!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gramercy-Park. Show Gramercy-Park's posts

How do you look good in a simulated outing with your own teamates in there and you aren't throwing 100%?  He hasn't thrown in a game since June and you are saying he looks good? It's a darn simulated game where your own teammates take some cuts at a less than 100% pitch. Please.
    Posted by ADG

Please don't doubt Beacon's objectivity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Don't blame me if your Red Sox have slumped terribly. It isn't my fault. There is nobody in this forum to blame. We are fans just like you are. Why come here to attack your own fans.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

His is the X-Factor...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Maybe the simulated hitters just weren't that good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Giving Red Sox fans some good news about Buccholz gets them mad. It's like offering a jelly bean to a toddler who doesn't want one but wants the whole bag.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Posted by dgalehouse

*smiling...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Don't blame me if your Red Sox have slumped terribly. It isn't my fault. There is nobody in this forum to blame. We are fans just like you are. Why come here to attack your own fans.
    Posted by BeaconHill19

Good question. Why do you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Giving Red Sox fans some good news about Buccholz gets them mad. It's like offering a jelly bean to a toddler who doesn't want one but wants the whole bag.
    Posted by BeaconHill19

We have die hard fans right down to the last second of every year.  If we make the playoffs and Clay can contribute long with Youk and JD, will win the WS because we will be out for blood. 

I'm sticking to my pre season prediction regardless.  Sox 2011 WC's 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Posted by BeaconHill19

LOL. Sure.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Buccholz Looks Good in Outing : We have die hard fans right down to the last second of every year.  If we make the playoffs and Clay can contribute long with Youk and JD, will win the WS because we will be out for blood.  I'm sticking to my pre season prediction regardless.  Sox 2011 WC's 
    Posted by craze4sox

I agree.

Sections
Shortcuts