Buch to the DL, Miller to fill in?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Buch to the DL, Miller to fill in?

Buch left the game with more back troubles.  Seems like a natural time to let him heal up while sliding Miller into the rotation.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Buch to the DL, Miller to fill in?

At the most they'd skip a start and then retro the DL trip. 15 days for the back not knowing what Miller will do pitching in front of 39,000 because he finally didn't walk a basketball team in a couple of starts in AAA is risky IMHO when a few days off might be all Clay needs.

For all the Miller mania these days, let's keep in mind that Miller always threw lightning, SOed his fair share but had control issues. A couple of starts without those troubles is far from overwhelming evidence he has turned the corner and frankly the RS wouldn't be considering anything but more starts in Pawtucket if it wasn't for his opt out contract and his high ceiling.

So I truly doubt that Epstein would quick to put Buchholz in the freezer for 15 days.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No, just bump him back and watch his innings. Give Miller 3 or 4 chances to start, and Wastefield to the DL. Doubrant should be ready if needed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It gets damn cold in Theo's freezer. Ask Wake.
    I wonder if Buch's back issues stem from erratic mechanics - or just the nature of his delivery.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Buch to the DL, Miller to fill in?:
    At the most they'd skip a start and then retro the DL trip. 15 days for the back not knowing what Miller will do pitching in front of 39,000 because he finally didn't walk a basketball team in a couple of starts in AAA is risky IMHO when a few days off might be all Clay needs. For all the Miller mania these days, let's keep in mind that Miller always threw lightning, SOed his fair share but had control issues. A couple of starts without those troubles is far from overwhelming evidence he has turned the corner and frankly the RS wouldn't be considering anything but more starts in Pawtucket if it wasn't for his opt out contract and his high ceiling. So I truly doubt that Epstein would quick to put Buchholz in the freezer for 15 days.
    Posted by fivekatz

I would agree with you 100% if this was a new issue, but it's been bothering him for over a month now.  Shut him down and let him get right.  Miller is coming up either way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Buch's fine, he's been taken out for precaution so his back stiffness/pain doesn't alter his mechanics and lead to serious injury. Wastefield isn't fine. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Buch's fine, he's been taken out for precaution so his back stiffness/pain doesn't alter his mechanics and lead to serious injury. Wastefield isn't fine. 
    Posted by betterredthandead

So then wouldn't it make sense to allow that recurring back stiffness to clear up so that it doesn't alter his mechanics and lead to a serious injury?

Wake is clearly struggling out there giving up 1 ER in 7 innings his last time out and covering 1B like a starter should.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

JB-3 what I am saying is that the RS might skip a start and if they think he needs more time retro him on the 15 day DL. I don't think they will want to commit to a 15 day up front. It probably would require a rehab start meaning they skip 3 starts  delay his 4th and they have no idea what they have in Miller. But the depends on what the extent of the back problem is. They can retro him if they have to so no need to pull the trigger by Monday. 

The RS tend to be very careful with guys they just signed to long term deals (Beckett 2010) so who knows?

We will see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

JB-3 what I am saying is that the RS might skip a start and if they think he needs more time retro him on the 15 day DL. I don't think they will want to commit to a 15 day up front. It probably would require a rehab start meaning they skip 3 starts  delay his 4th and they have no idea what they have in Miller. But the depends on what the extent of the back problem is. They can retro him if they have to so no need to pull the trigger by Monday.  The RS tend to be very careful with guys they just signed to long term deals (Beckett 2010) so who knows? We will see.
    Posted by fivekatz

Even if Miller implodes, the Sox still have Aceves who they could slot into the rotation.  Miller isn't the only solution, he's just the one that makes the most sense right now.  I agree that they will probably send someone down when they call up Miller (Bowden?), and only DL Buch once bullpen help is needed, or if it's clear that he needs more than a week of rest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

At the most they'd skip a start and then retro the DL trip. 15 days for the back not knowing what Miller will do pitching in front of 39,000 because he finally didn't walk a basketball team in a couple of starts in AAA is risky IMHO when a few days off might be all Clay needs. For all the Miller mania these days, let's keep in mind that Miller always threw lightning, SOed his fair share but had control issues. A couple of starts without those troubles is far from overwhelming evidence he has turned the corner and frankly the RS wouldn't be considering anything but more starts in Pawtucket if it wasn't for his opt out contract and his high ceiling. So I truly doubt that Epstein would quick to put Buchholz in the freezer for 15 days.
    Posted by fivekatz

Funny, katz!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No, Wastefield is struggling with his 5 plus ERA since 2nd half of 2009. A week or more of average down time between outings isn't going to work.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

No, Wastefield is struggling with his 5 plus ERA since 2nd half of 2009. A week or more of average down time between outings isn't going to work.

luckily Tim is currently pitching in the here and now. you do get that concept right?

so try his stats from this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Buch to the DL, Miller to fill in? : luckily Tim is currently pitching in the here and now. you do get that concept right? so try his stats from this year.
    Posted by sgtnull

No, he doesnt..he say whatever HE THINKS helps his useless and repeated beating of the "Wastefield" drum..

To the point...I agree with Katz on this one..Miller has been doing very well as of late, but lets not hand him the 5th starter job just yet. If they dont have to put Buch on the DL, they wont. If they do, I too think it will be retro a few days/week. I have confindence in Miller..he pitched well in college and was rushed to MLB before being properly prepared first.. JB, I think Buch started having some back issues last year too if my memory serves me correctly, so this may be something the team should be a little over cautious with..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

He felt it tighten and came out - the smart move.
    Miller is available  if  a spot opens up, so someone is  moving up or down, with Wake and Aceves and Miller rotation is fine to sit Buch  for 2 weeks and bring him back after interleague  period is over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He felt it tighten and came out - the smart move. Miller is available  if  a spot opens up, so someone is  moving up or down, with Wake and Aceves and Miller rotation is fine to sit Buch  for 2 weeks and bring him back after interleague  period is over.
    Posted by jackyldo

I think thats exactly what will happen..Remember Buch last year in SF?? He'll prob sit out a few starts until interleague is over..or its at home so he doesnt have to bat or run..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

I was worried until I started reading this posters contributions, as Softhead his predictions were always wrong so after reading what I have read here I am OKAY. Everything should work out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

Putting Clay on the 15 day DL means 2 maybe 3 starts for Miller.  Even if Miller implodes, I think this team can manage to survive, plus it gives Clay time to get 100%

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

It gets damn cold in Theo's freezer. Ask Wake. I wonder if Buch's back issues stem from erratic mechanics - or just the nature of his delivery.

Posted by harness

It's probably vmart's fault........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

I'm amazed at all the doctors in here who can diagnose the severity of his injury and come up with an expected recovery time just from watching him walk from the mound to the dugout.

I'm suprised you guys haven't cured cancer and AIDS already.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Buch to the DL, Miller to fill in? : I think thats exactly what will happen..Remember Buch last year in SF?? He'll prob sit out a few starts until interleague is over..or its at home so he doesnt have to bat or run..
    Posted by southpaw777

A very good point, which I hadn't even considered.  If the guy is having issues with his back and getting paid to pitch, why would you want him swinging a bat (which he isn't used to doing)?

PS: Love the new pic btw.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Buch to the DL, Miller to fill in? :JB , I think Buch started having some back issues last year too if my memory serves me correctly, so this may be something the team should be a little over cautious with..
    Posted by southpaw777

That's exactly my point, this isn't a sudden, minor thing.  This is either recurring or lingering and he should shut it down and get right.

Miller's most natural role is as a starter, he's already stretched out and even with his poor control through the first part of this season, he was still dominant in AAA.  Since he started walking fewer people, he's been allowing more hits in an admittedly small sample.  If he reverts to his form from earlier this season, I don't think it would be the end of the world for 2-3 starts.  For people who are concerned about his control problems, those would only be magnified coming out of the pen, so I'm not sure what you want to do with him, give him to the Yankees?  He would have opted out if he wasn't promised a major league job by Boston and New York is desperate for pitching.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I don't know the extent of it ... I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV.  That said, if Buch gets to the DL we will know it's SERIOUS.  They have enough pitching depth to rest him some and still keep him off the DL to preserve the team's options.
    Becket
    Lester
    Buch*
    Lackey*
    Aceves
    Wakefield
    Miller
    [insert other AAA guys]
    *will stay off the DL but probably pitch on long rest/short innings???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Buch to the DL, Miller to fill in? : A very good point, which I hadn't even considered.  If the guy is having issues with his back and getting paid to pitch, why would you want him swinging a bat (which he isn't used to doing)? PS: Love the new pic btw.
    Posted by JB-3

yeah JB..I am NOT a fan of interleague play..even more after last year...AL pitchers are not used to legging out a single/double or swinging a bat consistantly..
    Thanks on the avatar..Love my Bruins and Loochis a fav of mine..Love the lefties..And Spahn(old avatar) had that crazy kick..Another reason Im pulling for MIller, yet another southpaw..
    But another question arises..If Miller is better than good, do you make Doubront trade bait? Do you think they would have 3 lefties playing 81 games at fenway?
    Ok, so maybe a couple questions...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Buch to the DL, Miller to fill in? :But another question arises..If Miller is better than good, do you make Doubront trade bait? Do you think they would have 3 lefties playing 81 games at fenway? Ok, so maybe a couple questions...
    Posted by southpaw777

If Miller lights it up on the big stage, I think the FO needs to put serious thought into Doubront's future on this club.  That means deciding between trading him and preparing him for a BP role (long relief left hander?).  Doubront will be out of options heading into 2012, this is the time to make a decision on his future.

I can't see Doubront in the rotation long term if Miller is lighting it up, unless there is a run of injuries.  Right now the way I see the SP depth it's: Beckett, Lester, Buch (DL?), Lackey, Dice (DL 60), Wake, Miller, Aceves, Doubront, ....

Miller gets the nod over Aceves because of Aceves proven effectiveness out of the pen, and Miller's history of control problems do not lend themselves to a relief role.

So to answer your second question, only if they absolutely had to.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Yes, spike, Softlaw said that Tex and Santana weren't coming to the Red Sox, and AGon wasn't coming in 2010 but was coming this year. Softlaw said that Lowrie was a butcher SS who was weak v. RHP and a pretzel.

spike, go aghead and delude yourself and think Wastefield is doing "fine". Softlaw is the only poster who didn't repeat clueless beat reporters. You will be wrong.

Sections
Shortcuts