Buchholz and the DL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

Buchholz and the DL

So.  What is the rule at this point for deactivating someone.  I know in earlier series, it would mean missing the rest of the series and the next one.  It also has to be pitcher for pitcher or position player for position player.

Well we know he is not going to pitch again and there is no more after this. 

While it would obvious what they would be doing, it is quite clear that he is too hurt to pitch again.  The fact is that the starter in game 4 (or even 5) is probably available for game 7 (or even 6).  For example, Lester will be in the bullpen for 7 and Lackey might also be there. 

By not deactivating him, they are leaving themselves shorthanded.  The fact is, that the only reason he won't go again is because he is injured and there is documenation of that, despite the fact that he pitched last night.  An legitimate argument could be made that he did not go any furhter because of the injury.

It will be interesting to see if they do anything during the day.

And what to do about Breslow.  He has been too good all season season to just forget about him now.  But last night really hurt.  They need to find a way to get him in there in a non stress situation (yeah, right, in the WS!!!).  I'm not sure how that happens in just three games.  Farrell already has Morales way down on th list and Dempster has not had too many chances to show what he can do.  In fact, I really thought he was going to have more impact.  Certainly more than Doubront.  How things change.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Buchholz and the DL

In response to natepioneer0350's comment:

So.  What is the rule at this point for deactivating someone.  I know in earlier series, it would mean missing the rest of the series and the next one.  It also has to be pitcher for pitcher or position player for position player.

While it would obvious what they would be doing, it is quite clear that he is too hurt to pitch again.  The fact is that the starter in game 4 (or even 5) is probably available for game 7 (or even 6).  For example, Lester will be in the bullpen for 7 and Lackey might also be there. 

By not deactivating him, they are leaving themselves shorthanded.  The fact is, that the only reason he won't go again is because he is injured and there is documenation of that, despite the fact that he pitched last night.  An legitimate argument could be made that he did not go any furhter because of the injury.

And what to do about Breslow.  He has been too good all season season to just forget about him now.  But last night really hurt.  They need to find a way to get him in there in a non stress situation (yeah, right, in the WS!!!).  I'm not sure how that happens in just three games.  Farrell already has Morales way down on th list and Dempster has not had too many chances to show what he can do.  In fact, I really thought he was going to have more impact.  Certainly more than Doubront.  How things change.

First of all for Breslow, it all started in game #2 where Salty couldnt throw the runner out at 3b when Cardinals attempted double steal.  Then after that, a short fly ball to left field, Gomes should have an easy chance to make a good throw at home to tag the runner out. But since after these plays, Breslow picked up the loose ball, and threw it to 3b where Breslow helped the team to lose that game.  Now after the loss, he is now paraniod.  But with a win last  nite may made him to feel better.  Remember Farrell put all the better defenders on the field from 7th to 9th innings instead Farrell had Salty at the plate, Bogaerts at SS, etc.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

That was a good point on Breslow.  I would not give up on the guy.  He had not a good year, but a great year.  If not for Uehara and his cartoonish year, we would be singing Breslow's praises.

I know Farrell wants to get him back on the horse.  He tried that last night and had to give up.  He needs a clean inning, but when do you do it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Buchholz only threw 66 pitches last night and it wasn't his injury that took him out after 4th inning.  If Buchholz is not injured, I think he can come out of bullpen for game 7 if there's one.  No need to replace him if he's not injured.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I fairly sure the Commssioner's Office would have to approve a DL move at this point.  I'm also pretty sure it would be denied.

I've said it elswhere on Breslow, he's had some tough luck on batted balls; the infield chopper on Saturday and last night's hit was not exactly a frozen rope.  I'm more concerned about the sudden lack of control leading and walks.  Those are what is hurting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

I fairly sure the Commssioner's Office would have to approve a DL move at this point.  I'm also pretty sure it would be denied.

I've said it elswhere on Breslow, he's had some tough luck on batted balls; the infield chopper on Saturday and last night's hit was not exactly a frozen rope.  I'm more concerned about the sudden lack of control leading and walks.  Those are what is hurting.

Nothing seems to be working for him.

I think he's appeared in every game of the series so far.

He's recorded one out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

I don't think they should bury Breslow.  He has been too good for them this season.  But can you see them trotting him out to face someone like Carpenter tonight with runners in scoring position.  I'm not even sure about Jay. Maybe Descalso.

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

He's recorded one out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He's recorded one out.

welcome to middle relief. I dont think hes scared, paranoid, or anything like that. I think that middle relievers just lose it and regain it. most are middle relievers because they arent as consistant as closers or even a reliable set-up man.

Remember, Breslow didnt take over the 8th inning role until recently. We have to hope Lester and lackey can go deep into their games. Koji even looks a little out of sorts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

He's recorded one out.

welcome to middle relief. I dont think hes scared, paranoid, or anything like that. I think that middle relievers just lose it and regain it. most are middle relievers because they arent as consistant as closers or even a reliable set-up man.

Remember, Breslow didnt take over the 8th inning role until recently. We have to hope Lester and lackey can go deep into their games. Koji even looks a little out of sorts.

Agreed.

I'm sure he's probably suffered a loss of confidence.

But, I doubt he's feeling anything more than frustration.

Farrell handled him well last night. He took him out as soon as he showed he still couldn't throw strikes.

I'm sure he'll be out there again, with a short leash.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

He's recorded one out.

Breslow hasn't pitched well but his problems have been with two guys, Carpenter and Beltran.  Carpenter is 2-2 with a sac fly, both hits were soft.  Beltran is 1-1 with a BB and a HBP.  Might just be bad matchups with those 2.

Answer might be as simple as don't use him against those hitters. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He's recorded one out.

Breslow hasn't pitched well but his problems have been with two guys, Carpenter and Beltran.  Carpenter is 2-2 with a sac fly, both hits were soft.  Beltran is 1-1 with a BB and a HBP.  Might just be bad matchups with those 2.

Answer might be as simple as don't use him against those hitters. 

agreed on that, but hes also starting to have some control issues as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

agreed on that, but hes also starting to have some control issues as well.

I know.  Don't know the history of him against those 2.  There probably isn't much of one with Carpenter, but Beltran's been around awhile, so who knows.

I agree on the control though, his command has not been good.

Sections
Shortcuts