Buchholz as the closer???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

Buchholz as the closer???

What do we all think about giving Buchholz a chance as the closer??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Buchholz as the closer???

Interesting.  I'd have to think about it.  Right now, he's just a terrible pitcher.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

terrible is a stretch, Andrew. Not as good as he once was, is more like it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Buchholz is a thrower, he hasn't learned to become a pitcher. He has three really good pitches but doesn't know how to use them. Either that, or Salty doesn't know how to call a game......I suspect both.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP is grasping at straws and espousing utter nonsense. 

Two key points:  1) Buchholz is a viable starter who started 28 games in 2010 with an ERA of 2.33 and 14 games last year with an ERA of 3.48; 2) if he needs to go to the bullpen, which is very unlikely, he absolutely cannot be the closer until he shows he can be an effective reliever.  Great closers have a certain swagger, and on his best days Buchholz never displayed that quality. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I suspect he may not have the mental makeup to be an ace...or an effective closer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Buchholz as the closer???:
    terrible is a stretch, Andrew. Not as good as he once was, is more like it.
    Posted by J-BAY

Really? Perhaps we need to define "terrible"

His ERA is 9, his WHIP is 2 and he has given up what?  6-7 HR's in 4 starts...that's my definition of terrible.   I wish I had you grading my papers in college!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Surely you realize stats can look ugly over a very short sample?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

of course, however, samples are projectable

otherwise the census would survey all 100,000,000 households

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Bucholtz throw more curve balls than fastballs, and you think he should be a closer!!   For your information, Most closers just like to throw fastball!!!!  That is why Aceves cant be a closer!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

No.  Just no.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Right, but being "on pace" for something rarely plays out that way. A player can hit 2 home runs in the 1st game of the season, but it's unlikely he will hit 324 home runs that year, even though after the 1st game he is "on pace" to do just that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Surely you realize stats can look ugly over a very short sample?
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

Especially in April and more so, coming back after not pitching for almost 12 months and a back injury.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OK guys, you're right.  Why don't you just tell me when it's OK for me to start judging his performance.  Whatever works for you.......

Man, if we could have "do-overs" in reality, how many more World Series would the Sox have won??????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I'm just saying it's unlikey his numbers will look that bad at the end of the season. It doesn't look good now but there are reasons for that, and his history indicates things will look better later in the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Buchholz as the closer??? : Really? Perhaps we need to define "terrible" His ERA is 9, his WHIP is 2 and he has given up what?  6-7 HR's in 4 starts...that's my definition of terrible.   I wish I had you grading my papers in college!!!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch

A guy that pitches terrible for four starts is not necessarily a terrible pitcher just as a guy that goes 3 for 15 is not necessarily a terrible hitter.  You don't need to define terrible. You need to define whether you change your mind on how good someone is every 4 starts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

OK guys, you're right.  Why don't you just tell me when it's OK for me to start judging his performance.  Whatever works for you....... Man, if we could have "do-overs" in reality, how many more World Series would the Sox have won??????
    Posted by andrewmitch

Not trying to be argumentative here but are things really this simplistic for you?

His performance has been terrible.  No argument there.  But do you really just judge baseball players by their last 4 games?  Is that how you figure things out?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Is Buch really healthy? If he is, there's still the effects of finding his mechanics after being out so long last season. I'm guessing that he has to do a lot of stretching and warm up before he takes the mound. As such, I don't believe he could handle the closers role.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

All I know is that the Sox don't have a closer at this point in time. Cook should have been in the rotation from the beginning.He won a job outright and as usual some jackwagon decided he needed some more time in Pawtucket. The Sox need to quit over thinking the roster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

All I know is that the Sox don't have a closer at this point in time. Cook should have been in the rotation from the beginning.He won a job outright and as usual some jackwagon decided he needed some more time in Pawtucket. The Sox need to quit over thinking the roster.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Cook did need more time in Pawtucket SB, he wasn't stretched out and wasnt an option coming out of ST. The fact that his club option runs out Tuesday and now is, he can either be added to the rotation or bullpen.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenway Frank. Show Fenway Frank's posts

I don't think Buchholz has exhibited any of the traits of a ML closer. But they do need to make room for Cook. I doubt he'll give them more than a couple of days extension on his exit deadline. So I would like to see Buchholz sent to Pawtucket where he can regain his touch and make sure all his pitches are working properly. Ideally, if Bard was inclined to close, then he'd do that and Buch would stay in the rotation, at least temporarily. But the team didn't use Bard to close the night he did pitch out of the pen this week, so I don't see both parties agreeing to such an about-face at this point. That leaves Doubront to the pen or Buch to the minors. I vote for the latter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Buchholz as the closer???:
    What do we all think about giving Buchholz a chance as the closer??
    Posted by inflamedcolon

Are you kidding me? He doesn't have the intensity of a closer. Nor does he have the pelotas.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Right, but being "on pace" for something rarely plays out that way. A player can hit 2 home runs in the 1st game of the season, but it's unlikely he will hit 324 home runs that year, even though after the 1st game he is "on pace" to do just that.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

Really? Buchholz has started 3 games already, which is at 10% of the season. Plus he's coming off back surgery and his track record has been up and down. What do you see that says he's going to have a good year and be counted on as a solid #3?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

4 starts

assuming he gets 30 that's 13-14%

aka a sample

Sections
Shortcuts