Buchholz as the closer???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Re: Buchholz as the closer???

No No No   You don't take a #3 starter (regardless of whether or not he's struggling) and put him closing.  For that matter, Lester is off to a rough start, we should put him in the setup role...

Nothing drastic has to be done.  Just find a way to hold down the fort till the injured guys get back.  But don't mess with Beckett, Lester, Buch or Doubront.  Only Bard should be mentioned as going back to the pen, because, at least he's done it before and had success.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Buchholz as the closer???:
    [QUOTE]4 starts assuming he gets 30 that's 13-14% aka a sample
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

So Kemp is gonna hit 80 HR's? (10 HR's in 19 games)
    AND
    Hamilton is gonna hit 64 HR's? (8 HR's in 19 games)
    WHILE 
    Pujols doesn't hit any!? (0 HR's in 19 games)

I bet you also stop watching baseball games in the 2nd inning, since you have a big enough sample size (13-14%)?

Sufficient sample sizes can't be measured in relative numbers, only in absolute terms (i.e. number of games).  There's a reason that starting pitchers stats are more volatile than hitters stats and it's the same reason that relievers stats are more volatile than starting pitchers stats, a smaller sample makes up a season, but that doesn't mean that an even smaller sample can be used to judge how they will perform.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Buch as closer has to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard, and that's really saying something on this board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz as the closer??? : So Kemp is gonna hit 80 HR's? (10 HR's in 19 games) AND Hamilton is gonna hit 64 HR's? (8 HR's in 19 games) WHILE  Pujols doesn't hit any!? (0 HR's in 19 games) I bet you also stop watching baseball games in the 2nd inning, since you have a big enough sample size (13-14%)? Sufficient sample sizes can't be measured in relative numbers, only in absolute terms (i.e. number of games).  There's a reason that starting pitchers stats are more volatile than hitters stats and it's the same reason that relievers stats are more volatile than starting pitchers stats, a smaller sample makes up a season, but that doesn't mean that an even smaller sample can be used to judge how they will perform.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

i watched 4 COMPLETE starts not random innings

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

ADG,

I said it's unlikely his numbers will look as bad as they do now for a full season.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Buchholz is a thrower, he hasn't learned to become a pitcher. He has three really good pitches but doesn't know how to use them. Either that, or Salty doesn't know how to call a game......I suspect both.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]\

Salty called a great game last night both for Doubront and for Tazawa. He mixed pitches and spots, and helped Doubront get through six innings without his best stuff. He made the right calls when Tazawa started to look a little shaky.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz as the closer??? : i watched 4 COMPLETE starts not random innings

I don't believe anyone said you were watching random innings.  It's still too small of a sample to disregard his career numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Buchholz has been terrible so far. Please go look at MLB qualifiers for ERA and you will find Buchholz dead last in ERA at 8.87, ranked 112th.  He's also dead last in WHIP at 1.93.

He's been nothing short of terrible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Buch will be fine.  He has hitch in his mechanics.  Once he works it out, he'll be dominant again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]4 starts assuming he gets 30 that's 13-14% aka a sample

Here's what you're ignoring.  He did struggle early in his career and went back to Pawtucket.  Finally, he got better.  In 2010 he started 28 games in the bigs and had an ERA of 2.33.  That is huge.  Last year with the back injury he still started 14 games with an ERA of 3.48.  Given those significantly larger and fairly recent samples, you are wrong to assume the current four game bad stretch--and it is bad--is definitive.  If his back is OK, I think it is a good bet he will improve. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

4 terrible, consecutive starts to begin the season?  not on his way to a bounce back year.......look at my original response...I believe I used the phrase "RIGHT NOW"........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

PS - I am a huge Buck fan but no one is letting the team down more than he is right now

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Nah, Buch is awful and should be cut.  

Youk will never hit again.  What's that? He did what last night ...?  Never mind.

Ortiz is toast.  His bat speed is gone.  That happens to older, overweight sluggers ...

This was fun, let's do it again sometime. :P

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sure - start with Drew this time and be sure you pepper in Bobby Jenks.......

16. This post has been removed.