Buchholz feelings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Buchholz feelings

I am perfectly willing to agree Buchholz is not soft from the standpoint of wanting to pitch ASAP. 

However, given no one ran into him or hit him with a batted ball, he seems to me to be a little on the fragile side.  This is unfortunately endemic to MLB pitchers, but that doesn't mean we have to like.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

[QUOTE]

BOSTON -- Sidelined since early June by a strained bursa sac in his right shoulder, Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz said Thursday that he doesn't want anyone to think he's soft.

"People are saying I'm weak. I want to be out there. I was having the best year of my baseball career," he said.

Here is the complete article:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9529920/clay-buchholz-boston-red-sox-bristles-talk-weak

I just don't think Buchholz has the physical make up to ever go 200 innings.  We need him down the stretch to get through one of the toughest schedules in baseball, hopefully he can come through for us.  The question is whether he can come close to picking up where he left off being out so long.

[/QUOTE]

I think that's part of the reason they're working him back slowly.

If they just put him out therei in a week., like some fans seem to want, he'd probably get shelled.

[/QUOTE]

Working him back slowly... Thats Funny !!!! .. If it was up to team Buch would have slowly pitched about a month ago...The thumb sucking Buch refused to do anything other then say i'm not ready yet. Even when cleared by doctors. If sox could only say were not ready to pay you yet,you would see how fast that thumb sucking idiot would heal.... Say what you want.....Buch belongs in L.A with his overpaid idiot friends.....Stick up for him, i'm not buying into this hurt neck thing. As a matter of fact some of his team mates think  he's more of a pain in the azz then in the neck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

BOSTON -- Sidelined since early June by a strained bursa sac in his right shoulder, Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz said Thursday that he doesn't want anyone to think he's soft.

"People are saying I'm weak. I want to be out there. I was having the best year of my baseball career," he said.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9529920/clay-buchholz-boston-red-sox-bristles-talk-weak

I just don't think Buchholz has the physical make up to ever go 200 innings.  We need him down the stretch to get through one of the toughest schedules in baseball, hopefully he can come through for us.  The question is whether he can come close to picking up where he left off being out so long.

If they just put him out therei in a week., like some fans seem to want, he'd probably get shelled.

Working him back slowly... Thats Funny !!!! .. If it was up to team Buch would have slowly pitched about a month ago...The thumb sucking Buch refused to do anything other then say i'm not ready yet. Even when cleared by doctors. If sox could only say were not ready to pay you yet,you would see how fast that thumb sucking idiot would heal.... Say what you want.....Buch belongs in L.A with his overpaid idiot friends.....Stick up for him, i'm not buying into this hurt neck thing. As a matter of fact some of his team mates think  he's more of a pain in the azz then in the neck.

Its not reasonable to expect him to come back and pitch in pain. He will likely be ineffective anyway if he does that, and would return to the DL soon thereafter. I don't know how much pain he is really in. Do you? That said, his fragility is indisputable, and when he becomes a FA (I think in 2015) the contract he is offered should be for that of a part time player. If he doesn't care for that, he can leave.  As for your claim that "some of his teamate" think he is more of a pain in the azz than in the neck, can you produce a link about that? If not, I will assume you made it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Its not reasonable to expect him to come back and pitch in pain. He will likely be ineffective anyway if he does that, and would return to the DL soon thereafter. I don't know how much pain he is really in. Do you? That said, his fragility is indisputable, and when he becomes a FA (I think in 2015) the contract he is offered should be for that of a part time player. If he doesn't care for that, he can leave.  As for your claim that "some of his teamate" think he is more of a pain in the azz than in the neck, can you produce a link about that? If not, I will assume you made it up.

[/QUOTE]

its called 2011 - read about it - bob hohner

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

"its been almost 2 Months for me, so I dont think its ANY reason to try to rush you now".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Buchholz might not have pitched at least 30 games in the majors yet, but he did start 29 last year, missing a couple of starts because of the flu (as I recall) not because of an injury.

He pitched 28 starts in 2010 -- forget why he missed the other four starts -- which isn't 30-plus but close enough.

And in 2008 he pitched in 27 games combined in the minors and majors and pitched 32 games combined in 2009.

So it's not like every year he's pitching less than 20 games like he did in 2011 and likely will end up this year. In fact, the outliers are the year's he's not pitching at least 27 games.

I'd like him to pitch 32 games ever year like Lester, but if body make-up is such that he can't handle that, I'll take 28 starts if it means he's pitching like he did in 2010 or this year.

Of course, you wish he could gut it out a bit more and know the difference between soreness and a real injury. But I don't blame him for being on the cautious side. He saw first-hand what happened when Lackey tried to gut it out and pitch through an injury, so I can understand if he's a bit gun-shy because of it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Team is winning without him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think people are mixing apples and Oranges here.....1) I believe Buch is Injured, 2) I believe he would rather be pitching than sitting on the Bench, 3) I believe that Clay feels pain when he throws, 4 ) I believe Most major league starters have to fight though periods where they feel pain when pitching, after all pitching is a violent motion so 5) I think all of the above can be true and Clay can stil be considered soft, but that would be in comparison to other guys who would be out there despite the pain.....and in a Franchise who had a guy pitch while bleeding into his sock.....that is an easy thing to realize.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

You assume Buchs in pain? When was the last time he pitched? I asume he's on the DL... Not unable to pitch..... just a ( Dam Liar ! ) thats his DL......You can assume anything you want. That thumb sucking idiot might have a friend in you but i more then assume he lost a lot of friends in that dugout.... So assume anything if that makes you happy .

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm beginning to think more and more than listening to the Sox FO is like listening to Bill Belechik's injury report:  They both tell you what they want you to think.

Keeping in mind that since Buch is bought and paid for by the Sox, he says what he's told to say about injuries.   

"I picked up the baby wrong and did something to my neck.  It's nothing."

"I slept on it wrong.  It'll be fine."

"It still doesn't feel right, but it's not anything to worry about.  I'm only going to miss this one start."

"It just needs a little rest.  I'm only going to miss a couple of starts."

...and now it's been almost two months. 

But wait!

I understand that as Pedey said about his thumb, the Sox don't want the opposition knowing about every injury.  It's called "gamesmanship" and I'm fine with it, really I am. 

I'm just learning to not believe everything that comes out of the FO mouths, and if you don't believe everything you can't believe anything.  We need to understand that this is all a part of the game, sit back and enjoy the ride, and pay no attention to what the FO tells us. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Your right & I agree ..........   Buchholz is a "hard read", has anyone ben able to understand Buch since he has been here ?????   Frail, for sure, and one heck of a pitcher, "when right"  !!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Phew.  That was close!  When I first read Bill's first sentence I said, "Oh no.  Bill agrees with me.  There goes my credibility on the board".  But in reading the rest of what he had to say I can now see that Bill had no idea what the post was really about.  So all is well. 

[/QUOTE]

S5, you're too funny!!..LOL

Your take on the front office is absolutely correct.  I've alluded to this fact a few times in previous posts.  As a point, when management claims a ballplayer is 'maturing', they're actually saying that he's learning to speak the correct canned terminology during an interview.

What's funny is when a ballplayer, Schilling for example, decided to say how he really feels about baseball or politics(heaven forbid it's a different opinion than some), a lot of fans and writers called him a blowhard.

So, unless you're tremendously gifted athletically, you're best to follow the 'corporate line', or you're taking the chance of being castigated by both sides.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

You assume Buchs in pain? When was the last time he pitched? I asume he's on the DL... Not unable to pitch..... just a ( Dam Liar ! ) thats his DL......You can assume anything you want. That thumb sucking idiot might have a friend in you but i more then assume he lost a lot of friends in that dugout.... So assume anything if that makes you happy .

Guess I give people the benefit of the doubt. He may not currently be in pain; he might simply be rehabbing and trying to avoid exacerbating his injury. For you to call him a liar I would assume you have some proof of that....and some proof his teamate consider him a  PIA. Or did you just make that stuff up....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeScott. Show JoeScott's posts

Soft, Selfish or Fragile

Buchholz has been a favorite since the beginning for all of us, but he's lost me now.  He just doesn't get it if he doesn't see the need or urgency to return.  His injury history speaks for itself - he's either soft, selfish or fragile.  Hopefully, he comes back and contributes this year. Either way, ship him to one of the MLB outposts during the offseason like San Diego, Miami or Houston where winning doesn't seem to matter.  He doesn't fit here.

And yes his annual salary is reasonable for a top pitcher, but not his per innings salary.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your really are sounding more foolish with every post...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:

according the the idiots in Boston and on this site, Clay is not allowed to be happy that the sox won. People here are a joke  ( not all of you, just the Clay whiners)

Clay is happy and us "whiners" as you say are a joke. Opinions are what makes these boards what they are. Clay should be happy the team he watches is winning. Some people think he should be taking part in helping the team win even more. His toughness is in question. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

In response to TheMaskedAvenger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:

[QUOTE]

Another valid take on the "Bucholz" situation

according the the idiots in Boston and on this site, Clay is not allowed to be happy that the sox won. People here are a joke  ( not all of you, just the Clay whiners)

Clay is happy and us "whiners" as you say are a joke. Opinions are what makes these boards what they are. Clay should be happy the team he watches is winning. Some people think he should be taking part in helping the team win even more. His toughness is in question. 

[/QUOTE]

No it's not. Clay has no toughness. What's in question is whether or not he is a malingerer.

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Some people are LEADERS and some people are cheerleaders.  Clay is an excellent cheerleader from the dugout.  As Bill Parcells would say,"she will play when she feels better."  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I'm sure Buccholz got so excited that his team won that he forgot his own physical condition and started to celebrate with his teammates.

For some to say that Buccholz is soft is a bunch of monkey dung.  I'm sure most of us would not even be good enough to play in single-A let alone, deal with the Boston media.  So let's give Buchholz more support and wish him a fast and full recovery.   Laughing 

And please tell me from a physiology and anatomy position why it is dangerous for him to jog onto a field and celebrate.  And why that puts stress on him and does not differentiate from the max effort delivery that triggers his condition.  How is a celebration FUNCTIONAL to his condition?  

Anybody can answer this quesiton if they so feel inclined to have an actual conversation.

Still waiting for an answer on this one from all the haters???

Really no surprise I'm not getting one.  People who come in here and throw mud and insults never seem to want to have a real baseball conversation and answer relevant questions with logical answers.

Anyone? (tumbleweeds)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I'm sure Buccholz got so excited that his team won that he forgot his own physical condition and started to celebrate with his teammates.

For some to say that Buccholz is soft is a bunch of monkey dung.  I'm sure most of us would not even be good enough to play in single-A let alone, deal with the Boston media.  So let's give Buchholz more support and wish him a fast and full recovery.   Laughing 

And please tell me from a physiology and anatomy position why it is dangerous for him to jog onto a field and celebrate.  And why that puts stress on him and does not differentiate from the max effort delivery that triggers his condition.  How is a celebration FUNCTIONAL to his condition?  

Anybody can answer this quesiton if they so feel inclined to have an actual conversation.

Really no surprise I'm not getting one.  People who come in here and throw mud and insults never seem to want to have a real baseball conversation and answer relevant questions with logical answers.

Anyone? (tumbleweeds)

First of all I like Clay Buchholz as a player.  He has great talent.  I just question his desire.  He doesn't pass the eye test.  If Sox get playoff money he should  get half a share for half a season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

[QUOTE]

Anyone? (tumbleweeds)

First of all I like Clay Buchholz as a player.  He has great talent.  I just question his desire.  He doesn't pass the eye test.  If Sox get playoff money he should  get half a share for half a season.

[/QUOTE]

Lou Merloni made this point today.  Remember the players who question Ellsburys road to recovery??? Where is that doubt on this team towards Buchholz? You can't evaluate his MRI, XRay or whatever tests they've done on him so noone can say he is physically capable of effectively pitching without purely speculative subjective opinions.  There is no evidence that he "doesn't care"

He seems to have the support of the team, so he has my support.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Anyone? (tumbleweeds)

If his shoulder is too sore to pitch it should be too sore to be forcibly ripping off Drew's jersey.  That is what he was doing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

[QUOTE]

Anyone? (tumbleweeds)

If his shoulder is too sore to pitch it should be too sore to be forcibly ripping off Drew's jersey.  That is what he was doing.

[/QUOTE]

Go back and please answer my original question.  Throwing necessitates maximum effort, if he has an injury that prevents him from throwing that doesn't mean he can't jog on the field and grab shirt jumping up and down.  It's like pulling your hamstring and being unable to run; yet you could probably walk fast with no pain.  Maximum effort and low effort activitie engage the body and muscles differently and I can PROMISE you if there was any harm in Clay being there the team would have said something to him, he likely wouldn't even be there.

So how does what Clay did compare with throwing from a mound and exerting a maximum effort force in his delivery??? You will never find one person with a background in physiology, anatomy, or kinesiology making these statements towards clay, not one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to torgorocks's comment:

Here's the link: www.boston.com/buchholz,pain in the azz/players'poll/120/543278?

Not surprisingly, there is a "This page does not exist" message when I copy and paste it into a new window. Wanna try again?

Sections
Shortcuts