Buchholz injury issues continue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Buchholz injury issues continue

In response to irish-sox-fan's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Clay has the worst luck with this crap.

Brilliant pitcher when hes fit enough to play. I dont think its luck. hes injury prone. doesnt matter how good you are if your body cant take playing the game. reminds me of Jed Lawrie, the guy was made of glass. seems like Clay misses about a 25% of each season. 

I think its a bit different than Lowrie because a starting MLB pitcher has a lot more stress put on his body. Thats why teams usually take bigger guys for starters. I dont think he has the kind of body that can handle that kind of stress for 34 games + playoffs every year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I agree that his body type is fragile, too bad, he was having a great season.  I like your call for civil discussion, we can disagree without the name calling.

Please try and refrain from childish name calling of the players on my thread. Even if you dont respect the team or player, at least respect me and the thread I created enough to not do that here.

You're asking for maturity from the immature? Good luck with that.

Yeah, seems like a tall order for some.

The kid doesnt have the body type to make it through a full season of MLB. That has always been the concern with him. Some guys can do it, but most cant who have that body type. He works his azz of to stay in shape and even put on some muscle last year. I just think name calling and that kind of stuff is done by fair weather fans.

When hes doing good its, hes great, love the guy! when he has issues some resort to name calling as if they are funny or cute. Its neither, IMHO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Please try and refrain from childish name calling of the players on my thread. Even if you dont respect the team or player, at least respect me and the thread I created enough to not do that here.

Look guys, I like you and SP, but this is not "his thread". Once he puts it out there it becomes a public thread. No one can limit the content of a thread here besides the moderators. However, out of respect to you and SP I will not use nicknames here. I reserve my right to use them elsewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Clay was my most effective fantasy league pitcher, so this news is not good. Along with my #1 pitcher David Price and his prilliant 1 win, it's not workin' out.

I think Clay is taking over from Ellsbury for the "Athlete Least likely to Be Compared To Patrice Bergeron Award."

Oops, immature.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

They are now saying if he's back, it won't be until after the all star break. The Sox need to go get a top of the rotation starter. They don' t have one now.

I have to agree, a front line starter is definitely at the top of the wish list.

A TOTR SP is going to be expensive. Most people know that its going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to make the playoffs without Buchholtz being healthy most of the time. I guess my estimate of just 30 days out sick was too conservative; he is likely to miss more. I am NOT in favor of paying for a TOTR SP in what amounts to a rebuilding year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Buch needs a daily yoga regimen; makes ya way more flexible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

It's concerning, but at the same time, I'm glad neither Buchholz, nor the Sox are trying to rush him back, before he's 100%.

I'd rather have Buchholz be out now, get 100% healthy, and be strong for the last couple of months of the season (and hopefully the playoffs) rather than trying to pitch now before he's completely healthy and risk losing him for the remainder of the season.

Gotta love the way that in the absence of Buchholz, and with Lester struggling, Lackey has really stepped it up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

It's concerning, but at the same time, I'm glad neither Buchholz, nor the Sox are trying to rush him back, before he's 100%.

I'd rather have Buchholz be out now, get 100% healthy, and be strong for the last couple of months of the season (and hopefully the playoffs) rather than trying to pitch now before he's completely healthy and risk losing him for the remainder of the season.

Gotta love the way that in the absence of Buchholz, and with Lester struggling, Lackey has really stepped it up.

There is no guarantee that an absence now will decrease the odds of another absence later in the year. In fact, given his history, I would expect another one.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

They are now saying if he's back, it won't be until after the all star break. The Sox need to go get a top of the rotation starter. They don' t have one now.

I have to agree, a front line starter is definitely at the top of the wish list.

A TOTR SP is going to be expensive. Most people know that its going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to make the playoffs without Buchholtz being healthy most of the time. I guess my estimate of just 30 days out sick was too conservative; he is likely to miss more. I am NOT in favor of paying for a TOTR SP in what amounts to a rebuilding year.

Im almost willing to bet that BC will not part with certain prospects, even if it means losing out on a certain pitcher they might be talking about. I dont think he will mortgage the future to win this year. Lackey has been very solid, but ill wait a few more games before I really consider him a TOTR starter. He certainly has been pitching like one though. Everyone has been doing better since Buch went down, so as long as they can keep us in games, the offense can do the rest until Buch returns. Whenever that may be.

Ive been worried about Buch for the last year or two because of being so slim and not having the kind of body type the sox usually draft/acquire for a starting pitcher. The kid has worked hard, never complained when he went back to AA, and pretty much has done everything they could ask for. Unfortunately, I just think hes always going to have some issue every year.

Oh, and thank you for respecting my wishes on "my thread". I appreciate it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Look guys, I like you and SP, but this is not "his thread". Once he puts it out there it becomes a public thread. No one can limit the content of a thread here besides the moderators. However, out of respect to you and SP I will not use nicknames here. I reserve my right to use them elsewhere.

An odd position for you to take, considering you've been know to delete threads you started, that turned out to be totally wrong.

You asserted that you had every right to dodge criticism, by deleting "your" threads.

Now, that the shoe is on the other foot, they are "public" threads...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think redsoxkimmi is about right.  Sox are doing OK without Buchholz.  If he can return with full vigor and stay that way, the Sox will have a pretty decent rotation for August and September and maybe some of July.   Doubront, Dempster, and Lester are not world beaters, but are all capable of good games.  Lackey may not be top of the line, but right now is looking very confident out there.  Good fastball, but also a good mix of pitches, and he usually hits his spots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I think redsoxkimmi is about right.  Sox are doing OK without Buchholz.  If he can return with full vigor and stay that way, the Sox will have a pretty decent rotation for August and September and maybe some of July.   Doubront, Dempster, and Lester are not world beaters, but are all capable of good games.  Lackey may not be top of the line, but right now is looking very confident out there.  Good fastball, but also a good mix of pitches, and he usually hits his spots.

I guessed that lackey would have a slow couple months out of the gate and really pick things up come July. hes a 2nd half pitcher and it looks like hes getting better with every start. Im sure there will be a couple not so good performances, but I could see him with 14-15 wins this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

An odd position for you to take, considering you've been know to delete threads you started, that turned out to be totally wrong.

You asserted that you had every right to dodge criticism, by deleting "your" threads.

I am trying to be respectful to a couple of posters I enjoy bantering with here and it figures that you would find something to criticize about that. Guess a zebra never loses his stripes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I am trying to be respectful to a couple of posters I enjoy bantering with here and it figures that you would find something to criticize about that. Guess a zebra never loses his stripes.

Hey, we agree!

At least you didn't try to deny it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Hey, we agree!

My unwillingness to debate you about this should not be taken as an admission that you are correct. That would be characteristically presumptuous of you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Great post. This is what I love about this team. It's always someone different stepping up to help win a game. This can lead to a lot of wins. It hurts to have Clay out, but it doesn't doom the team to failure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Hey, we agree!

My unwillingness to debate you about this should not be taken as an admission that you are correct. That would be characteristically presumptuous of you.

There is no debate.

It happened.

I just thought that speech about "public threads" was a bit odd.

Perhaps folks should take into account that your forum principals can change with the wind, depending on who's ox is being gored, the next time you are giving a lecture.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Hey, we agree!

There is no debate.

It happened.

Perhaps folks should take into account that your forum principals can change with the wind, depending on who's ox is being gored, the next time you are giving a lecture.

[/QUOTE]

Nope. No debate at all. Here are the facts: on THIS forum only the mods can delete thread once they are posted. Hence, they are PUBLIC threads. On other boards the individual who began a thread has the right to delete them; they are NOT public threads as they can be deleted at the whim of the owner and for whatever reason he or she decides to do so. Would you like to deny these facts? Now you may not like the rules of any particular forum, but the fact of the matter is that they ARE the rules. When you post on a forum its implicit that you agree to play by those rules. On Sawxheads its perfectly acceptable according to the rules of the forum for someone who started a thread to delete it if it gets degraded by posters seeking to get off topic-or for any other reason. You left that forum, which is great! Those who remain do not miss you.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Hey, we agree!

There is no debate.

It happened.

Nope. No debate at all. Here are the facts: on THIS forum only the mods can delete thread once they are posted. Hence, they are PUBLIC threads. On other boards the individual who began a thread has the right to delete them; they are NOT public threads as they can be deleted at the whim of the owner and for whatever reason he or she decides to do so. Would you like to deny these facts?

Nope. That pretty much says it all.

Thanks.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Maine1971. Show Maine1971's posts

omg  Just NOW doing scans?  Red Sox medical team strikes again.  I swear they are on the Yankees payroll.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They arent going to get MRI's right off the bat for every sore muscle. When its starts to become more of an issue than first thought, they will make the next move like they did. This is how every team does things.

Its looking like Buch will return after the ASB. Hopefully he can stay healthy the rest of the year. But I would certainly not be counting on him to pitch 34 games, ever again. Maybe 26-28 in a good year. Too bad because the kid has some of the best "stuff" Ive ever seen.

Just goes to show you why teams mostly look for kids 6'2-6'6 and around 220-260 LBS for starters, or who project to get that big. Lots of wear and tear being an MLB pitcher and the bigger bodies can withstand it.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Clay was my most effective fantasy league pitcher, so this news is not good. Along with my #1 pitcher David Price and his prilliant 1 win, it's not workin' out.

I think Clay is taking over from Ellsbury for the "Athlete Least likely to Be Compared To Patrice Bergeron Award."

Oops, immature.

Not immature, just not well informed. There is no comparison between injuries sustained between each player. Buch's injuries are because he is most likely a bit frail for MLB, or maybe as some folks say made of glass. Ells injuries were sustained when he was run over or into by a teammate and when a 250lb relief pitcher landed on his shoulder in a collision on the base paths. Ells is far from injury prone. 

In three of Ells first five seasons he's played in 147, 153 and 158 games and 76 of 82 games this season or probably 150+ games this year. That's not injury prone, just unlucky. He probably isn't a fast healer but every injury is different and when folks on BDC got after Ells during the season he lost to rib injuries the comments by many were inane and laughable comparing Ells to football players and others who have played with injured ribs. Every athlete is different and some might be able to play through the pain while others might not but that isn't neccesarily a mark against that player.

Hetch 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If the price is right get a #1 guy.  Problem is there are only so many of them....it's not like you can go down to ACE and pick up an ace (pun completely intended)

The reality is the cost might too high, it's going to be high but how high?  I'd be willing to give up a couple top prospects but would you want to give up half of our top ten +++

Who knows what the asking price is.  I don't mind giving up more talent to get top notch talent and win now but there has to be a cut off point and if it's too high then we might be better off going after bullpen help.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

• Sections
    Shortcuts