Buchholz injury issues continue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Re: Buchholz injury issues continue

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Clay was my most effective fantasy league pitcher, so this news is not good. Along with my #1 pitcher David Price and his prilliant 1 win, it's not workin' out.

I think Clay is taking over from Ellsbury for the "Athlete Least likely to Be Compared To Patrice Bergeron Award."

Oops, immature.

Not immature, just not well informed. There is no comparison between injuries sustained between each player. Buch's injuries are because he is most likely a bit frail for MLB, or maybe as some folks say made of glass. Ells injuries were sustained when he was run over or into by a teammate and when a 250lb relief pitcher landed on his shoulder in a collision on the base paths. Ells is far from injury prone. 

In three of Ells first five seasons he's played in 147, 153 and 158 games and 76 of 82 games this season or probably 150+ games this year. That's not injury prone, just unlucky. He probably isn't a fast healer but every injury is different and when folks on BDC got after Ells during the season he lost to rib injuries the comments by many were inane and laughable comparing Ells to football players and others who have played with injured ribs. Every athlete is different and some might be able to play through the pain while others might not but that isn't neccesarily a mark against that player.

Hetch 

LOL...250  lb relief pitcher....it was either Sean Rogriguez or Reid Brigniac if I remember right...the play happened with Ellsbury breaking up a DP at second base.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It was Brignac when he was breaking up the DP. Tommy Hunter did collided with Ells after he tried to return from the Beltre collision and ended up cracking a couple more ribs from that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

It was Brignac when he was breaking up the DP. Tommy Hunter did collided with Ells after he tried to return from the Beltre collision and ended up cracking a couple more ribs from that.

I had forgotten about that...didn't Ellsbury bounce off of Hunter on a play at first base....that must have been when Hunter was with Texas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Hey, we agree!

At least you didn't try to deny it.

My unwillingness to debate you about this should not be taken as an admission that you are correct. That would be characteristically presumptuous of you.

There is no debate.

It happened.

I just thought that speech about "public threads" was a bit odd.

Perhaps folks should take into account that your forum principals can change with the wind, depending on who's ox is being gored, the next time you are giving a lecture.

Nope. No debate at all. Here are the facts: on THIS forum only the mods can delete thread once they are posted. Hence, they are PUBLIC threads. On other boards the individual who began a thread has the right to delete them; they are NOT public threads as they can be deleted at the whim of the owner and for whatever reason he or she decides to do so. Would you like to deny these facts? Now you may not like the rules of any particular forum, but the fact of the matter is that they ARE the rules. When you post on a forum its implicit that you agree to play by those rules. On Sawxheads its perfectly acceptable according to the rules of the forum for someone who started a thread to delete it if it gets degraded by posters seeking to get off topic-or for any other reason. You left that forum, which is great! Those who remain do not miss you.

[/QUOTE]

Pumpsuie, just for my enlightenment what was Four B's handle on Sawheads.  We lost the whole pollyanna bunch but I didn't know of any FourB's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

It's concerning, but at the same time, I'm glad neither Buchholz, nor the Sox are trying to rush him back, before he's 100%.

I'd rather have Buchholz be out now, get 100% healthy, and be strong for the last couple of months of the season (and hopefully the playoffs) rather than trying to pitch now before he's completely healthy and risk losing him for the remainder of the season.

Gotta love the way that in the absence of Buchholz, and with Lester struggling, Lackey has really stepped it up.

There is no guarantee that an absence now will decrease the odds of another absence later in the year. In fact, given his history, I would expect another one.

In my medical experience, it is the injury that determines the chance of a reoccurrence, and not the person.  I do expect periodic knee pain, but I'd be rather surprised if I fractured my collar bone coming in from CF to help with a rundown.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Nope. No debate at all. Here are the facts: on THIS forum only the mods can delete thread once they are posted. Hence, they are PUBLIC threads. On other boards the individual who began a thread has the right to delete them; they are NOT public threads as they can be deleted at the whim of the owner and for whatever reason he or she decides to do so.

It is still weak to erase an entire thread because your predictions turned out to be a bit silly.  I am willing to discuss every prediction I ever made.  I understand that 55% correct on tpough decisions would be extremely good, so why would I be embarrassed if I had to admit to 45% failures?  Refusal to admit mistakes is a failure of self-esteem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

Hey, we agree!

At least you didn't try to deny it.

My unwillingness to debate you about this should not be taken as an admission that you are correct. That would be characteristically presumptuous of you.

There is no debate.

It happened.

I just thought that speech about "public threads" was a bit odd.

Perhaps folks should take into account that your forum principals can change with the wind, depending on who's ox is being gored, the next time you are giving a lecture.

Nope. No debate at all. Here are the facts: on THIS forum only the mods can delete thread once they are posted. Hence, they are PUBLIC threads. On other boards the individual who began a thread has the right to delete them; they are NOT public threads as they can be deleted at the whim of the owner and for whatever reason he or she decides to do so. Would you like to deny these facts? Now you may not like the rules of any particular forum, but the fact of the matter is that they ARE the rules. When you post on a forum its implicit that you agree to play by those rules. On Sawxheads its perfectly acceptable according to the rules of the forum for someone who started a thread to delete it if it gets degraded by posters seeking to get off topic-or for any other reason. You left that forum, which is great! Those who remain do not miss you.

Pumpsuie, just for my enlightenment what was Four B's handle on Sawheads.  We lost the whole pollyanna bunch but I didn't know of any FourB's.

Not sure Fred. There was a guy there with NH in his username and it could be him. Why not ask him if you are interested? I am not really so interested because he continues to carry a chip on his shoulder.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

It's concerning, but at the same time, I'm glad neither Buchholz, nor the Sox are trying to rush him back, before he's 100%.

I'd rather have Buchholz be out now, get 100% healthy, and be strong for the last couple of months of the season (and hopefully the playoffs) rather than trying to pitch now before he's completely healthy and risk losing him for the remainder of the season.

Gotta love the way that in the absence of Buchholz, and with Lester struggling, Lackey has really stepped it up.

There is no guarantee that an absence now will decrease the odds of another absence later in the year. In fact, given his history, I would expect another one.

In my medical experience, it is the injury that determines the chance of a reoccurrence, and not the person.  I do expect periodic knee pain, but I'd be rather surprised if I fractured my collar bone coming in from CF to help with a rundown.

Thats true for specific injuries. If you had a knee issue the chances of reinjuring that knee could be higher. That said, some guys do seem to be injury prone and miss more time than others. Perhaps, as Southpaw conjectured, it has to do with body type. Buchholtz has a thin frame and may not be built for the kind of wear and tear a more solidly built pitcher is. Whatever the reason, his history is well known. He tends to miss a lot of time and it has become a pattern with him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Nope. No debate at all. Here are the facts: on THIS forum only the mods can delete thread once they are posted. Hence, they are PUBLIC threads. On other boards the individual who began a thread has the right to delete them; they are NOT public threads as they can be deleted at the whim of the owner and for whatever reason he or she decides to do so.

It is still weak to erase an entire thread because your predictions turned out to be a bit silly.  I am willing to discuss every prediction I ever made.  I understand that 55% correct on tpough decisions would be extremely good, so why would I be embarrassed if I had to admit to 45% failures?  Refusal to admit mistakes is a failure of self-esteem.

I make mistake all the time here and I own up to them. I have no problem discussing them. However, when I have the right and ability to remove a thread that is off track and that has turned nasty and personal, I will do it every time.

PS: my self esteem is just fine, thank you.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Whatever the reason, his history is well known. He tends to miss a lot of time and it has become a pattern with him.

Where's the pattern here?

Games started in minors and majors combined:

2007: 26 (22 year old with 3 GS'd in MLB)

2008: 26 (at 23 years old)

2009: 32

2010: 29

2011: 14

2012: 30

2013: 12 (halfway point)

Sox4ever

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Whatever the reason, his history is well known. He tends to miss a lot of time and it has become a pattern with him.

Where's the pattern here?

Games started in minors and majors combined:

2007: 26 (22 year old with 3 GS'd in MLB)

2008: 26 (at 23 years old)

2009: 32

2010: 29

2011: 14

2012: 30

2013: 12 (halfway point)

Sox4ever

Clay Buccholtz IP compared to other Sox pitchers after his rookie year:

2008: 76

2009: 92

2010: 173

2011: 82.2

2012: 189.1

2013 Projected: 162.1

Average IP: 129.2

Jon Lester IP:

2008: 210.1

2009: 203.1

2010: 208

2011: 191.2

2012: 205.1

2013 Projected: 206.6

Average: 204

Ryan Dempster:

2008: 206.2

2009: 200

2010: 215.1

2011: 173.1

2012: 182.6

2013  Projected: 182.6

Average: 197

Jon Lackey:

2008: 163.1

2009: 176.1

2010: 215

2011: 160

2013 projected: 150

Average, not counting the year missed for TJS: 173

As you can clearly see, among the veteran starting pitchers on the team, Buchholtz has the lowest IP per year and the lowest maximum number of IP in a year. Even Doubront is projected to pitch more innings this year than Breakholtz. There is no cogent arguement that, to date, he has not been injury prone for whatever reason as compared to other starting pitchers on the staff. By comparison CC has averaged 206 IP per year over 13 years and Price has averaged 175 IP since his rookie year. Happy to provide you with more pitchers who a far more durable than the fragile guy we have. Buchholtz is indeed a man of glass. He simply cannot handle the workload of a full time SP in baseball. Maybe this will change, but for now, this is his pattern. I fully expect it will continue.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

With Buchholz fragile body would he be better suited closing for the Sox sometime in the future?  I know other experiments (Bard) have not worked out switching pitchers rolls.  I would think there is less stress on the body in the relief roll.  There are certainly less innings but thay can be more high intensity innings.  Just throwing it out there.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I believe that they would rather have 24 starts a year from Buch than no starts. If he continues to have injuries like this next year, It very well could be considered.

• Sections
    Shortcuts