Buchholz Might be out for the series

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Buchholz Might be out for the series

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I say start Workman if Buch can't make it.  

Workman huh? Is he anywhere near stretched out? Wow

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, no way Buck is giving you more than 80 NP, you can take that to the bank.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Lou Merloni       

Just watched Buchholz throw about 10-15 uncomfortable throws on flat ground. That didn't look good

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Lou Merloni       

Just watched Buchholz throw about 10-15 uncomfortable throws on flat ground. That didn't look good

You mean "Day-to-Day" Clay isn't feeling good? 

Next thing mainstream America will finally determine that ObamaCare is nothing but a series of additional taxes......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to LagunaJose's comment:

That's why Felger and Mazz have high ratings. It's not because they are informative or professional journalists but it's because they are controversial and love to insult the character of players on Boston teams. Listeners eat that stuff up. They appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's mostly entertainment that is based on speculation and few facts. Why don't you walk up to Clay and tell him face-to-face that he is a mental and physical weakling.  It's amazing that fans act this way.

Sure, I would tell him I think he's wasting my and other fans money.  Nothing wrong with that.  I can't incite him because I could be at fault if he reacts physically.  I would have no problem telling him that he's not holding up his end of the deal directly to his face.  If he still reacts physically then I guess I'll have a nice pay day coming my way.........

Now I take it back AndrewMitch is the definition of cowardice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Time for some of you internet tough guys to start considering the possibility that Buchholz may actually have something seriously wrong with his shoulder.

Most of you were probably the same clowns who decided that Lackey was completely dogging it in 2011 when it turned out he was pitching with an elbow held together by spaghetti.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Time for some of you internet tough guys to start considering the possibility that Buchholz may actually have something seriously wrong with his shoulder.

Most of you were probably the same clowns who decided that Lackey was completely dogging it in 2011 when it turned out he was pitching with an elbow held together by spaghetti.

Day-to-Day Clay DOES actually have something seriously wrong with his shoulder.  He slept on it wrong 4 months ago.

RE:  Lackey.  I supported that signing.  It was the Beckett extension that drove me nuts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Don't bother with him, he still think Lester isn't the pitcher Burnett is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Day-to-Day Clay DOES actually have something seriously wrong with his shoulder.  He slept on it wrong 4 months ago.

RE:  Lackey.  I supported that signing.  It was the Beckett extension that drove me nuts.

Yes, I know the original story was he slept on it funny.  You seem to forget that he also fell on that shoulder trying to make a play right about that time as well. 

A pitcher of his caliber, and I think we can all agree that when he's on, he is very very good, doesn't go from throwing 100+ pitches (which he did in his last couple of September starts) to becoming ineffective after 80  (Tampa Bay) to ineffective after 60 (Detroit) AND losing 4-5 mph off his fast ball without something being physically wrong.  Loss of command is one thing, that big a drop in velocity is something else and a much bigger cause for concern.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Careful, he'll probably sue you for definition of character.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, I know the original story was he slept on it funny.  You seem to forget that he also fell on that shoulder trying to make a play right about that time as well. 

A pitcher of his caliber, and I think we can all agree that when he's on, he is very very good, doesn't go from throwing 100+ pitches (which he did in his last couple of September starts) to becoming ineffective after 80  (Tampa Bay) to ineffective after 60 (Detroit) AND losing 4-5 mph off his fast ball without something being physically wrong.  Loss of command is one thing, that big a drop in velocity is something else a much bigger cause for concern.

Yeah well, wake me up when "he's on"........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Careful, he'll probably sue you for definition of character.

So you don't think that people should be held accountable for their actions?  Interesting.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 5m

Farrell still expects Buchholz to start Sunday. #RedSox will get through tonight to determine potential replacement.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

If I remember correctly, the Cards batting average as a team is much worsel against left handers than  against righties. With that added to the equation Doubront may have a bit of an edge over a so, so Buchholz.

The Cards had a losing record this year vs LHP. Against RHP they were the best in baseball. The problem with starting Doubront is that he has trouble throwing strikes. Unfortunately he is the next best option vs the Man of Glass, whose antics are getting old. His newest injury makes tonight's game critical. Lackey is going to have to be on his game.

For good or for bad, Doubront would be the go-to guy.  He's a coin toss.  His pattern is either to screw it up in the 1st and then settle down.  Or putter along until he implodes in the 5th.  

If he gets out of the 1st unscathed, then we could get 4 inns out of him, put him on an early yank alert at the first sign of trouble, and then give it to the pen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

If I remember correctly, the Cards batting average as a team is much worsel against left handers than  against righties. With that added to the equation Doubront may have a bit of an edge over a so, so Buchholz.

The Cards had a losing record this year vs LHP. Against RHP they were the best in baseball. The problem with starting Doubront is that he has trouble throwing strikes. Unfortunately he is the next best option vs the Man of Glass, whose antics are getting old. His newest injury makes tonight's game critical. Lackey is going to have to be on his game.

For good or for bad, Doubront would be the go-to guy.  He's a coin toss.  His pattern is either to screw it up in the 1st and then settle down.  Or putter along until he implodes in the 5th.  

If he gets out of the 1st unscathed, then we could get 4 inns out of him, put him on an early yank alert at the first sign of trouble, and then give it to the pen.

Either way, you're only getting 80 NP in G3 and G4....Tonight is huge.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

As I am a Septuagenarian I was also a fan of this other Boston team, Red Sox first, however, so I call your attention to the battle cry of the 1948 Boston Braves “SPAHN AND SAIN AND PRAY FOR RAIN” !!! And maybe with some weather assistance, Lester can get an extra day's rest and pitch game #4 and he'll be available for # 7 too, if needed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I was very disappointed when the baseball gods dealt us Bobby Jenks, Hanrahan, Miller, and Bailey. What a terrible hand to be dealt. They all came here injured and it was not their fault or Ben Cherrington's fault. Just tough luck. Should they be held accountable? No, not according to the labor agreement. The Buchholz situation is similar but to a much lesser degree and he is only getting paid $6 mil. this year. Nothing was said about the character of Jenks, Hanrahan, Miller, or Bailey. Maybe a teammate could assess character but I can't from where I sit. Did Felger and Mazz ever question their character?

Miller?  Miller came a few years ago as a failed starter, moved to the penb and was a vital cog in the Sox bullpen for a year and a half before he got hurt ...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I was very disappointed when the baseball gods dealt us Bobby Jenks, Hanrahan, Miller, and Bailey. What a terrible hand to be dealt. They all came here injured and it was not their fault or Ben Cherrington's fault. Just tough luck. Should they be held accountable? No, not according to the labor agreement. The Buchholz situation is similar but to a much lesser degree and he is only getting paid $6 mil. this year. Nothing was said about the character of Jenks, Hanrahan, Miller, or Bailey. Maybe a teammate could assess character but I can't from where I sit. Did Felger and Mazz ever question their character?

Jenks was considered to be overpaid from the get go - Theo got criticized for this deal

Miller was a low risk guy making little money paid to be a middle reliever - completely irrelevant example

The Bailey trade was highly questioned considering he was/is/always will be injury prone - Ben gets highly criticized for this deal

Hanrahan was a tough break but it was a one year committment

Buck on the other hand is a starter.  Where are your examples of starters?  Hmmm?  Ok, well moving on....He was given a $30 million dollar and already had concerns about durability.  That was dumb but we move on.  But we had a few years since that we counted on him to be lead the staff.  How many more times do you want to get burned by that?  OK, fine.  I can live with that.  We have him next year and should be trade bait.  If we can't get anything good then fine, we keep him.  But (1) we never count on him for anything and (2) we shouldn't be dumb enough to exericse his options.......so yeah, terrible analogies.........Maybe try Beckett which uh, is yeah just as bad if not worse than Day to Day Clay.......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Why waste time with him now?   I cannot imagine much changing between today and 3 days from now so just tell Doubrant game 4 is his.   I would feel better anyways with the lefty facing St. Louis than the "Post Kilned" Fragile Clay.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Eddymon's comment:

Why waste time with him now?   I cannot imagine much changing between today and 3 days from now so just tell Doubrant game 4 is his.   I would feel better anyways with the lefty facing St. Louis than the "Post Kilned" Fragile Clay.

Yes, at the very least you stay away from Doubbie in G2 and G3 and tell him to prepare as if it's his.  You know, b/t June 1 and July 31th (give or take) he was perhaps our most dependable starter........I hope he just needed some rest.  All he has to do is create TILT and throw strikes and he'll be fine.......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Yes, at the very least you stay away from Doubbie in G2 and G3 and tell him to prepare as if it's his.  You know, b/t June 1 and July 31th (give or take) he was perhaps our most dependable starter........I hope he just needed some rest.  All he has to do is create TILT and throw strikes and he'll be fine.......

Not only that, you put Dumpster on notice to potentially be ready for long relief and use a guy like Workman to get through an inning if Doubrant has a bad one going on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I like Clay...  Some of the things he has said over the last year or two lead me to believe there is something more going on with him. We..as fans..are not privy to the players' private medical issues..nor should we be..but I've often speculated that Clay suffers from a form of autoimmune disease.

I don't question his toughness because no one knows what goes on in another person's body....but I think it's fair to question whether he should be in the starting rotation. That said...when he's there he's tough to beat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I like Clay...  Some of the things he has said over the last year or two lead me to believe there is something more going on with him. We..as fans..are not privy to the players' private medical issues..nor should we be..but I've often speculated that Clay suffers from a form of autoimmune disease.

I don't question his toughness because no one knows what goes on in another person's body....but I think it's fair to question whether he should be in the starting rotation. That said...when he's there he's tough to beat.

fair post

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Not only that, you put Dumpster on notice to potentially be ready for long relief and use a guy like Workman to get through an inning if Doubrant has a bad one going on.

Dempster?  Stay away from Dempster.  Even you refer to him as DUMPster!

I hope Clay can give us 80, get through 4 scoreless.......Then Doubrant to start a clean 5th with Workman lurking in the pen.........That would be my plan/my hope.......

Sections
Shortcuts