Buchholz throwing from 90 feet-"Felt really good"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Buchholz throwing from 90 feet-"Felt really good"

From WEEI.com:

Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz said that he "felt really good" after throwing on flat ground up to 90 feet on Sunday. He had 20 throws from 60 feet, 20 more from 75 feet and then stretch out to 90 for the first time.

He will accompany the Sox on their upcoming seven-game roadtrip through Toronto and Tampa Bay. He hopes to work his way up to 120 feet during the roadtrip -- usually the distance that precedes a bullpen session -- and then "go from there.

"I can’t stay here. I’d be bored out of my mind. I’m going to continue my throwing program on the road," said Buchholz, who is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA this year, but who has been out since mid-June with a stress fracture in his lower back. "Right now I feel better playing catch than I did [the last time he tried to throw in late-July].

"I haven’t really tested it yet. I’m trying to build up to get to that point, don’t want to get there too quick," he added. "[But] I’m throwing it 65, 70 percent and not feeling anything, so that’s a good sign for me, I think."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

Re: Buchholz throwing from 90 feet-"Felt really good"

Looks like he's on schedule for the PS. Watch out Tigers, Rangers/Angels or Yankees.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BizzaroLaw. Show BizzaroLaw's posts

thanks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Buchholz throwing from 90 feet-"Felt really good":
    From WEEI.com: Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz said that he "felt really good" after throwing on flat ground up to 90 feet on Sunday. He had 20 throws from 60 feet, 20 more from 75 feet and then stretch out to 90 for the first time. He will accompany the Sox on their upcoming seven-game roadtrip through Toronto and Tampa Bay. He hopes to work his way up to 120 feet during the roadtrip -- usually the distance that precedes a bullpen session -- and then "go from there. "I can’t stay here. I’d be bored out of my mind. I’m going to continue my throwing program on the road," said Buchholz, who is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA this year, but who has been out since mid-June with a stress fracture in his lower back. "Right now I feel better playing catch than I did [the last time he tried to throw in late-July]. "I haven’t really tested it yet. I’m trying to build up to get to that point, don’t want to get there too quick," he added. "[But] I’m throwing it 65, 70 percent and not feeling anything, so that’s a good sign for me, I think."
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Even if we end up as Wild Card our team can beat anyone with three solid starters.  If Clay is ready "he gets the nod" because we have a much better chance to win a PS series without Lackey seeing action.

I just hope Clay is 100%, no need to risk his future otherwise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If Buchholz isn't ready to start,he'd be a valuable asset coming in from the bullpen this postseason in long relief.Depending on how his back holds up,I'd love to see him coming in to pitch a couple of innings when and/or if they need him. It would be less strenuous on his back if he's not ready to throw 100+ pitches.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Buch is still a longshot, but like a man leaking money in Vegas sometimes a longshot is all you've got.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"Against the Power that now arises (in the East) there is no victory." Denethor

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If you need long relief in a post season game , you are probably not going to win. Better to use Clay as a starter and let him go as long as he can.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Buchholz throwing from 90 feet-"Felt really good":
    If you need long relief in a post season game , you are probably not going to win. Better to use Clay as a starter and let him go as long as he can.
    Posted by dgalehouse

I don't necessarily disagree with the second part, but on the first part, a lot of Red Sox postseason games come to mind that involved a starter getting knocked out early and his team going on to win the game.  Such as 1999 ALDS Game 5, 2003 ALCS Game 7, 2004 ALCS Game 3, 2004 WS Game 1 etc.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Buchholz throwing from 90 feet-"Felt really good" : I don't necessarily disagree with the second part, but on the first part, a lot of Red Sox postseason games come to mind that involved a starter getting knocked out early and his team going on to win the game.  Such as 1999 ALDS Game 5, 2003 ALCS Game 7, 2004 ALCS Game 3, 2004 WS Game 1 etc.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

The Pedro, in my mind, is as about as clear as any game I remember.  The look of the CL dugout said it all.

"I will never forget the look on their faces. All eight of them. Their faces dropped. All their courage and strength was drained right from their bodies. They had reputation for breaking up bars, but they knew that instant, they'd made a fatal mistake. This time they walked into the wrong bar." 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Buch is still a longshot, but like a man leaking money in Vegas sometimes a longshot is all you've got.
    Posted by frankn

Not a bad analogy.  Money in poker is not generally won because you hit huge jackpots.  It's won by making 1000s of tiny moves.  This will be one more move.

I'd love for him to be able to start.  But Lackey and Bedard aren't showing signs of going deep, and Aceves can't fill in for both guys.  If Buchholz does nothing but throw 3 innings of one-run ball in relief of Lackey, that's a pretty big chip to throw in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Buchholz throwing from 90 feet-"Felt really good" : I don't necessarily disagree with the second part, but on the first part, a lot of Red Sox postseason games come to mind that involved a starter getting knocked out early and his team going on to win the game.  Such as 1999 ALDS Game 5, 2003 ALCS Game 7, 2004 ALCS Game 3, 2004 WS Game 1 etc.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Okay. There are always exceptions , and I did say " probably."  Still think it is better for him to start, if he can do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'll bet money right now that Clay Buchholz will start a playoff game. He might be limited to five innings -- 80 to 90 pitches -- but I really believe he'll start.

Sections
Shortcuts