buchholz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: buchholz

I think the consensus on the Buchholz got lucky thread was that his ERA would climb a bit, but his peripherals would be consistent with 2010, or even improve.  Right now he has a 1.825 WHIP, compared to 1.203 last year.  That will correct itself over the course of the season, and the ERA and wins will follow suit.  Freddy Garcia's numbers, too, are due for a reality check.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to Re: buchholz:
    [QUOTE]It's early eyt, but where are all the posters that said Buch would repeat his 2010 numbers?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Oh we are here, last i knew, there was a long way to go before the season is over. And i believe part of the argument from the other side was that even if he pitched the same his ERA would rise. He sure has not been the same to this point. But then again in his first six games last year he was 3-3 with an 3.82 era. The season sure is still young. And if I am wrong, I will be here before anyone says where is he? Saying i was wrong! One last note in those six games last year the sox scored 37 runs,  so far this year they have scored 15 in five games. Im betting if they had averaged the same number of runs in his starts he might be 3-2 instead of 1-3.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think Clay needs to take a page out of Dice's new book and Speed the F**k Up.  I'm no pitching coach, but he is working sooooo slowly.  I imagine that affects his ability to get into a consistent mechanical groove (as he did to great results in 2010).  Just get the signal and throw the ball kid.  I think that is why he is leaing so many would-be nice pitches over the plate.  He obviously still has the nasty stuff.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

It didn't change the outcome one bit last night but I thought Francona stayed with him one inning too long. Someone mentioned that he didn't throw the change enough. What game were they watching? Every other pitch and at times several pitches in a row were that loopy change. Besides being able to keep his heater down he needs to mix in the curve ball---a pitch that he hardly threw at all last night. At the time of the Martinez deal I posted that Masterson should have been kept and Buchholz sent to Cleveland. I still feel that way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

A haircut would do wonders for his performance!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]A haircut would do wonders for his performance!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a bigger rope necklace.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]It's early eyt, but where are all the posters that said Buch would repeat his 2010 numbers?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Right here, Moon.
    In fact, I said Buch could even eclipse his 2010 numbers. And I stand by it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

clay has gained some pounds (has this affected his mechanics???) and is just starting off slowly - hes no worse however than Lester traditionally has been in april...i think he will put it into high gear in may as things heat up

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: buchholz : Name them, because in the “was buchholz lucky” thread started by our homegrown statistician 791 the overall consensus was you should expect an increase in ERA from last year.
    Posted by lvanDrago[/QUOTE]

It's impossible for anyone not named Pedro to repeat Buchholz' performance from 2010.  Still, I expect an ERA of under 4.00.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

No Joe, it's not impossible. You again underestimate Buch's skill-set and determination. He did it once - he can do it again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: buchholz : It's impossible for anyone not named Pedro to repeat Buchholz' performance from 2010.  Still, I expect an ERA of under 4.00.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Not impossible, but incredibly unlikely.  Point well taken though.

Second, me thinks we are freaking out a little bit regarding Buchholz. He's only thrown 27 innings.  That said, it's interesting to note that batters are only swinging at 40% of Buchholz's pitches this year so far (last year that number was at 45%).  I'm not sure if this is because they are falling behind, or if batters have made an adjustment to start swinging at less pitches (it's a "chicken or the egg" argument).  Either way, Buchholz has to get ahead in the count to succeed...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Ummm, I think it's because several of his pitches are balls - above the strike the zone.