Buchholz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Buchholz

It has been said that he may get one start before the season ends. Does anyone really think he can regain his form after such a long layoff? He won't even have an opportunity for a rehab start since the Pawsox season is done.

We have come this far without him. If he is available, I say he goes to the BP for long relief where I believe he would add more value. I really don't think he can be effective as a starter in the PS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: Buchholz

I have to think an 80% Buchholz is better than any one else we add to the 4th spot for the Sox except maybe a healthy Bedard if he comes back.  Too close to call right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Shut him down. This season is over. Find out what is really wrong with his back, fix it and hopefully he can come back next year. My fear is that his baseball career is over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Buchholz:
    [QUOTE]I have to think an 80% Buchholz is better than any one else we add to the 4th spot for the Sox except maybe a healthy Bedard if he comes back.  Too close to call right now.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

By your post, I guess you are assuming Lackey for the #3 spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Buchholz:
    [QUOTE]It has been said that he may get one start before the season ends. Does anyone really think he can regain his form after such a long layoff? He won't even have an opportunity for a rehab start since the Pawsox season is done. We have come this far without him. If he is available, I say he goes to the BP for long relief where I believe he would add more value. I really don't think he can be effective as a starter in the PS.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Should the Sox make the playoffs, I feel much better with a rusty-but-rested Buchholz than I do John Lackey at this point, especially with Aceves in the pen, should the issue be Clay not being stretched out enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

I'm not sure why you would think his career is over? That doesnt make much sense at all. I do agree that its better to leave him on the sideline this season and get him back healthy next year. And the season is not over, you make the playoffs and its a new ballgame. Does it look like they are WS bound, no....but you never know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If he's healthy why not? 

But given the state of the Sox right now even there is any risk of furthering the injury I say stop the workout program now and try again next year.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

Thats the problem, if a guy is still throwing off flat ground...he isnt healthy and its tough to get in game condition with so little time left in the season....like you said, it may not be worth the risk unless he's 100%. Its going to be tough to win a series unless Beckett and Lester go out there and throw lights out...cant trust Bedard, and dont want to have to trust Lackey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Buchholz : Should the Sox make the playoffs, I feel much better with a rusty-but-rested Buchholz than I do John Lackey at this point, especially with Aceves in the pen, should the issue be Clay not being stretched out enough.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I agree. A rusty Buchholz who might only be able to go five innings is better than Lackey, Wake, Miller, Weiland, etc. for the No. 3 spot in the playoffs. If Lackey can pitch like he did yesterday, I can live with that as a No. 4 starter. And yes, I'd rather go with Lackey in the fourth game than Lester or Beckett on short rest.

Of course, the Sox have to make the playoffs first. I think they will, but the injuries are a concern.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz : I agree. A rusty Buchholz who might only be able to go five innings is better than Lackey, Wake, Miller, Weiland, etc. for the No. 3 spot in the playoffs. If Lackey can pitch like he did yesterday, I can live with that as a No. 4 starter. And yes, I'd rather go with Lackey in the fourth game than Lester or Beckett on short rest. Of course, the Sox have to make the playoffs first. I think they will, but the injuries are a concern.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Whoops -- forgot about Bedard. I still would take a rusty Buchholz over Bedard in Game 3. If Bedard comes back and pitches like he has since the trade -- ERA under 4.00 -- I'm at the point where I'd take him over Lackey in a Game 4, although if Lackey pitches strong in his last two starts (guessing he has two more), he might be OK for a Game 4.

I posted a week or two ago that I'd bet money that Buchholz gets a start in the postseason if the Sox make it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Has he even thrown off a mound yet? I would imagine that IF he pitches at all this year it would be out of the pen, he most likely wouldn't have the stamina to start. Of course stranger things have happened.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-crawful. Show thee-crawful's posts

[QUOTE]Thats the problem, if a guy is still throwing off flat ground...he isnt healthy and its tough to get in game condition with so little time left in the season....like you said, it may not be worth the risk unless he's 100%. Its going to be tough to win a series unless Beckett and Lester go out there and throw lights out...cant trust Bedard, and dont want to have to trust Lackey.
    Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE]

at this point in the season, i wouldn't trust any of the starting staff;
    and the only one in the bullpen who deserves any trust is paps.

btw, did the SOX get a refund on jenks based on the lemon law? or will this be another theo signing that ownership will have to eat?
    i forgot, i don't trust theo, either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]Shut him down. This season is over. Find out what is really wrong with his back, fix it and hopefully he can come back next year. My fear is that his baseball career is over.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Are all of your worst fears based on 100% opinion. Do you expect the bridge to collapse tomorrow on your way to work?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

His back issues have essentially led to him missing the entire season. He has not even thrown from the mound yet. Oh, let's see, a pitcher with a chronic back problem that just won't go away, yes that is a perscription for a long career. With the quality of the Red Sox medical staff attending to his back, he will recover stronger than ever.Surprised

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Troll? Wow. And you have been on this forum for.....five days. I have been a loyal Red Sox fan since '65. This year's implosion has sent me over the edge. They are horrendous. Things need to change. Opinion is mine, my right and is all you are going to get. Their play on the field is what is boring me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Buchholz:
    [QUOTE]It has been said that he may get one start before the season ends. Does anyone really think he can regain his form after such a long layoff? He won't even have an opportunity for a rehab start since the Pawsox season is done. We have come this far without him. If he is available, I say he goes to the BP for long relief where I believe he would add more value. I really don't think he can be effective as a starter in the PS.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Yes, all Clay needs is good location, Tek and to build up his arm strength enough to go five innings.  If Clay can, we won't see guys like Miller, Bedard or Lackey unless its in relief.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-crawful. Show thee-crawful's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz : If you are, which I doubt, then stop pouting and having a tantrum. It is immature for someone in their 60s. We have Yankee trolls who act like you do.
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

hey beac,

i don't know what's more boring; reading your arrogant posts or watching a red sox game.
    however, because i dislike you and your holier than thou attitude, i'm hoping the SOX don't make the playoffs, just to ruin the rest of your year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz : hey beac, i don't know what's more boring; reading your arrogant posts or watching a red sox game. however, because i dislike you and your holier than thou attitude, i'm hoping the SOX don't make the playoffs, just to ruin the rest of your year.
    Posted by thee-crawful[/QUOTE]

at least you are being honest about the nature of your relationship with the Red Sox these days Yazzer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Too early to tell.  If Buchholz gets a start and does well, I would start him in the playoffs.  Reportedly, he has the best "stuff" on the team.  His problem has always been control. 

If not Buchholz, the third starter should probably be Bedard, but, again, let's see what happens in the remaining games.  Lackey was decent yesterday.  What if he has two more games like that?  What if Bedard doesn't recover well enough? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Start the dude--Buch at less than top form is better than all the others except maybe Lester and Beckett

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

[QUOTE]Start the dude--Buch at less than top form is better than all the others except maybe Lester and Beckett
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

Lester is pitching like Lackey lately.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

[QUOTE]Too early to tell.  If Buchholz gets a start and does well, I would start him in the playoffs.  Reportedly, he has the best "stuff" on the team.  His problem has always been control.  If not Buchholz, the third starter should probably be Bedard, but, again, let's see what happens in the remaining games.  Lackey was decent yesterday.  What if he has two more games like that?  What if Bedard doesn't recover well enough? 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Don`t know where you guys are getting your info from .Should Buchhs come back he is BP bound not in the ROTO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

I think it's critical that Buchholz be completely honest to himself and the RS with regards to his health. If he's feeling great and without pain, then roll the dice and see what he can contibute. If there is lingering symptoms, then it's not worth the risk of ruining his or the team's future.

If you recall last season, Ellsbury was trying to be honest with the ball club.  he knew he wasn't anywhere near 100%. He took a lot of "flack" for it, but look how it's payed-off one season later.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Shut him down. This season is over. Find out what is really wrong with his back, fix it and hopefully he can come back next year. My fear is that his baseball career is over.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

It ain't over until that fat b i t _ _ gets off his back!

He will return in 2 weeks.......  ??????   I pray!!!!

I'd take a rusty Buch over those 5 - 6 spot starters doing the job right now...

:)   His back will be fine long term...............

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Beckett
    Lester
    Bedard

In round one of the PO's, if healthy.
    Buch will not be on the PO roster in the first round.

If Boston makes it to round two, he may be starting game 4, depending...

Sections
Shortcuts