Bucj's Back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Buch's Back

That was no fluke, Suggest that the rotation order may change a bit what with the all-star break, Buchholz has to get up there to No. 2, eventually. As I said, that was no fluke, It was vintage Buchholz, early 2013.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Re: Bucj's Back

I would trade him in a package deal for more young talent. He is 30 and never stays healthy. Trade him while is value is high.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:

I would trade him in a package deal for more young talent. He is 30 and never stays healthy. Trade him while is value is high.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'd at least listen on everyone, but someone needs to break open their prospect piggy bank before I make a move.  And the issue of Lester is still open.  You can't trade Buch if Lester is unsigned.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

I would pay Lester. I would keep Pedroia, Ortiz, Betts, Xander and De La Rosa.
     And trade for another bat

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'd at least listen on everyone, but someone needs to break open their prospect piggy bank before I make a move.  And the issue of Lester is still open.  You can't trade Buch if Lester is unsigned.

are you suggesting the Buck could replace Lester in the rotation?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Probably not, but this is more along the lines of you need at least three regular SPs.  We probably need both of them, but if we trade Buch and let Lester walk, we will have Lackey and essentially 4 rookies, or Doubront and 3 rookies.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

That was no fluke, Suggest that the rotation order may change a bit what with the all-star break, Buchholz has to get up there to No. 2, eventually. As I said, that was no fluke, It was vintage Buchholz, early 2013.

Buc did very well. BUT? I hope it wasn't because he faced a minor league team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Clay looked very good. Can't get too excited just yet. Houston is an awful baseball team. But he did look good.

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

come on guys...red sox isnt going to trade the whole rotation!!!

maybe to trade peavy and doubront to get a bat...but for others, they are likely to stay

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Peavy and Doubront for a bat, now you need a player to swing it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, he did shut out the astounding Astros. Large sample size.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Peavy and Doubront for a bat, now you need a player to swing it.

If you just want a bat, all you need to trade is Doubront. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

No, of course not! I would slip him back in at the No. 2, with Lackey following. The way he pitched today was one of the most important things that have happened all year. Doesn't anybody remember what he was before the back issues?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

You must have a very short memory. Have you forgotten what he was before the back issue! The reason he has been on the DL can be traced to that problem. There is no reason he can't continue what he did today. Trade him? A guy who just threw a 3-hit shutout with 12 k's and no walks? He threw 4 diffrent pitches at 4 didderent speeds, and looked like he had something left. Sure, trade him because he was on the DL and might have to go back someday. Real clever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

Of our front three, Buchholz is the best choice to trade. A contender looking for that final push to the WS will like what he showed us today. Plus, he has three cost-controlled years left (one, plus two team options). He could get us quite a haul from a team like the Brewers or the Braves.

Assuming we can sign Lester, I'd be delighted to see Buchholz traded for a good return. However, if the FO really thinks they can't sign Lester, then better to trade him and hold on to Buchholz.

What is the trade value of an often-injured righthander with an ERA of 5.42 in 14 starts this season?

Clay Buchholz and righthand-hitting Atlanta outfielder BJ Upton match up perfectly in terms of age (born one week apart) and team control (through 2017 although the Sox have an option of a shorter commitment on Buchholz). Entering today's games, Buchholz had a 2014 WAR of 0.2 and Upton a 2014 WAR of 0.6.

I'm not suggesting the Red Sox trade Buchholz for Upton, but I provide those numbers to help compare trade values.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Of our front three, Buchholz is the best choice to trade. A contender looking for that final push to the WS will like what he showed us today. Plus, he has three cost-controlled years left (one, plus two team options). He could get us quite a haul from a team like the Brewers or the Braves.

Assuming we can sign Lester, I'd be delighted to see Buchholz traded for a good return. However, if the FO really thinks they can't sign Lester, then better to trade him and hold on to Buchholz.

What is the trade value of an often-injured righthander with an ERA of 5.42 in 14 starts this season?

Clay Buchholz and righthand-hitting Atlanta outfielder BJ Upton match up perfectly in terms of age (born one week apart) and team control (through 2017 although the Sox have an option of a shorter commitment on Buchholz). Entering today's games, Buchholz had a 2014 WAR of 0.2 and Upton a 2014 WAR of 0.6.

I'm not suggesting the Red Sox trade Buchholz for Upton, but I provide those numbers to compare trade values.

[object HTMLDivElement].  You lost me when you went to WAR.  Clay looked very sharp today. That figures to increase his WAR, whatever that is. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm not suggesting the Red Sox trade Buchholz for Upton, but I provide those numbers to compare trade values.

The thing about Buchholz, though, is his upside potential.  He's had flashes of being one of the best pitchers in the game.  He has a lot of proven physical ability...AKA stuff...he also has downside risks, obviously, but I think there are a few GM's out there who would love to pry him from the Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Lets see how he fairs against the Royals next. That team is no slouch. Personally, I think they have the best relievers in baseball. Some could argue Oakland.

Seattle, Cubs, White Sox, Astros. Since DL.Sorry, still wait and see for me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Wins Above Replacement Player. Individual player rating system

[object HTMLDivElement].  You lost me when you went to WAR.  Clay looked very sharp today. That figures to increase his WAR, whatever that is. 

scottwad24

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to scottwad's comment:

scottwad24

[object HTMLDivElement].  Yes, I get that. Imaginary wins above a fictional replacement. Whoever invented that should get the Nobel for sports analysis. All I know is that Clay looked very sharp today. That is all I know. Well, it is not all I know . I do know some other things. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Yes, I get that. Imaginary wins above a fictional replacement. Whoever invented that should get the Nobel for sports analysis. All I know is that Clay looked very sharp today. That is all I know. Well, it is not all I know . I do know some other things. 

With the spectacular performance today, Clay Buchholz's 2014 WAR should creep closer to that posted by BJ Upton, who went 0-for-5 today.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Yes, I get that. Imaginary wins above a fictional replacement. Whoever invented that should get the Nobel for sports analysis. All I know is that Clay looked very sharp today. That is all I know. Well, it is not all I know . I do know some other things. 

With the spectacular performance today, Clay Buchholz's 2014 WAR should creep closer to that posted by BJ Upton, who went 0-for-5 today.

[object HTMLDivElement].  That would be useful to know , if I gave two whits about WAR.  Which I don't. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The thing about Buchholz, though, is his upside potential.  He's had flashes of being one of the best pitchers in the game.  He has a lot of proven physical ability...AKA stuff...he also has downside risks, obviously, but I think there are a few GM's out there who would love to pry him from the Sox.

Any a smarter GM would say, "No Way, Jose".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

In response to scottwad's comment:

scottwad24

[object HTMLDivElement].  Yes, I get that. Imaginary wins above a fictional replacement. Whoever invented that should get the Nobel for sports analysis. All I know is that Clay looked very sharp today. That is all I know. Well, it is not all I know . I do know some other things. 

Bottom line is he was nasty!
    scottwad24

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Any a smarter GM would say, "No Way, Jose".

Exactly, one should not assume that all GM's are as challenged as Lucchino.

Sections
Shortcuts