Buckner?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Buckner?

It's been 25 years.  Does Buckner really still bother Sox fans?

I don't want Buckner back in some token coach role as a symbol of forgiveness or the past or whatever.  I'll gladly take him back if he is the best candidate available for any coach position.

But forgive him?  I did that long before the 1987 season began...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Buckner?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Buckner? : I dunno, I'm still kind of p#ssed that Gorman traded Eck for Billy Bucks.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Should have held out for Leon Durham, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buckner? : Should have held out for Leon Durham, right?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]Well, Eck did turn out to be the greatest closer of all time... not to mention inventing the term cheese for hard heat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buckner? : Well, Eck did turn out to be the greatest closer of all time... not to mention inventing the term cheese for hard heat.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

True, but at the time he had never even tried closing.  He had the same amount of experience in the role as Buckner had...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buckner? : True, but at the time he had never even tried closing.  He had the same amount of experience in the role as Buckner had...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]Anyway, it was a joke notin, with your avatar and all I figured you'd get it. Wasn't it LaRussa who turned Eck into a closer?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

notin has a deceiving avatar, he is not funny nor does he find anyone else funny.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]notin  has a deceiving avatar, he is not funny nor does he find anyone else funny.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Yeah. We need more Yankee fans who have a vast collection of kid pics, talk in five lines or less of haiku, and google anything that's being talked about. That's money. I hear you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

How great would it be for the Sox to win it all with Buckner on the staff as a third base coach or something? Of course, knowing his luck he'd wave some guy home with the tying run in the ninth inning of game seven, and he'd get thrown out by twenty feet. Poor devil. Hope it works out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Space, I'm usually with you on most thoughts.

I'm stuck on the word "karmically" and feel it rhymes too closely with "comically"...nevertheless, isn't Bill Buckner retired from baseball somewhere in Idaho? Hitting coach? Whoa...that's a stretch; I think.

Billy Buckner almost never (max/season was 39) struck out though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Bill Buckner was a great hitter and I'll be bold enough to say, but for Bill's between his legs against the Mets in 1986, he had a very good chance of being elected to the Hall of Fame.  Bill was in Idaho, one of the reasons being cause his children were harrassed in school in Massachusetts after Bill retired.  Last Summer, Bill was the Manager of the Independent League Broctorn Rox.  Bill may or may not want to coach for his friend Bobby Valentine, but he will not be the hitting coach as Dave Magadan has been retained as the hitting coach.  I believe the Red Sox would be very strong at hitting coaching if the team had Magadan and Buckner on staff, even if Bill Buckner is the 1B Coach.  In Spring Training a lot of work could be accomplished with Red Sox ML and ml hitter, and of course another factor is that the PawSox hitting Coach Chilli Davis has left the Red Sox organization and is now the hitting Coach for the Angels.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]notin  has a deceiving avatar, he is not funny nor does he find anyone else funny.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Notin is one of the best posters on here, both for his baseball acumen and wit.  You, on the other hand, are a cantankerous, dimwitted douchbag. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If Buckner is up for the discipline part of it, I would love to see him as Bobby's bench coach.  Not many past players with his resume are coming in to fill that job anywhere in baseball.  And it would give Buckner great experience on his resume if he is interested in eventually becoming a manager himself.  This is not about giving a hard luck guy a token position, this is about getting a tough as nails ballplayer to help change the culture of a team that seems to have been doomed by softies.

I, like notin, forgave Buckner long before the 2004 and 2007 WS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buckner? : Notin is one of the best posters on here, both for his baseball acumen and wit.  You, on the other hand, are a cantankerous, dimwitted douchbag. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Don't hold back sheriff, speak your mind! LOL