BUD SELIG MUST GO.........

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: BUD SELIG MUST GO.........

HE HAS DONE NOTHING/ZERO ON HIS WATCH...

to disagree with what he has done is one thing

to say he has done nothing is _ _ _ nine

I can understand a narrow minded homer

having a problem with inter league

because you don't really have a natural rival

and your DH can't play waaaa waaaa waaaa

but surely you must appreciate the wild card

or at least you should

did you really call that doing nothing ?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Easy, Zac.  He wasn't attacking you.

I'm so freaking jaded about these boards that I've posted some pretty vitriolic posts lately, too. But damn, not like that one.

It's hard to tell if you honestly hate us because we're Sox fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Bud is a two faced liar in my book. He looked the other way on steroids when it was in his best interest, i.e. getting the attendance back after strike. Then coming on like the saving angel when it was congress that was forcing his hand.He makes the all-star game relevant with contrived home field advantage,and then let so many players walk that the leagues field inferior teams, if the game has that much significance then he should compel the players to be there. The DH or no DH in inter-league play is another example of his inability to make a decision. He caves in to TV on post-season schedule. He is also arbitrary in dealing with similiar issues both Dodgers and Mets have financial issues, but Bud only steps in with Dodgers. The reason for doing this I believe is because he basically hand picked the McCourts and wants his own man in charge for damage control against him personally.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: BUD SELIG MUST GO.........:
    Easy, Zac.  He wasn't attacking you. I'm so freaking jaded about these boards that I've posted some pretty vitriolic posts lately, too. But damn, not like that one. It's hard to tell if you honestly hate us because we're Sox fans.
    Posted by soups

Zac is actually a really nice guy who loves most Red Sox fans.  He's just been in a grumpy mood lately because his team doesn't have Theo as their GM.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Common he likely would have done more but the PLAYERS UNION wins every battle. Nobody can do anything significant with that obstacle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Easy, Zac.  He wasn't attacking you. I'm so freaking jaded about these boards that I've posted some pretty vitriolic posts lately, too. But damn, not like that one. It's hard to tell if you honestly hate us because we're Sox fans.
    Posted by soups

fair enough soups

but I wasn't attacking you

I had just read another poster take empty cheap shots

at my bud

and then this guy starts another one of his  silly threads

which is fine

but, why more unsupported dishonest cheap shots

from a nation that if nothing else  should be grateful to bud

besides I called him sir

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Bud is a two faced liar in my book. He looked the other way on steroids when it was in his best interest, i.e. getting the attendance back after strike. Then coming on like the saving angel when it was congress that was forcing his hand.He makes the all-star game relevant with contrived home field advantage,and then let so many players walk that the leagues field inferior teams, if the game has that much significance then he should compel the players to be there. The DH or no DH in inter-league play is another example of his inability to make a decision. ... He caves in to TV on post-season schedule. He is also arbitrary in dealing with similiar issues both Dodgers and Mets have financial issues, but Bud only steps in with Dodgers. The reason for doing this I believe is because he basically hand picked the McCourts and wants his own man in charge for damage control against him personally.
    Posted by attic-dan

He looked the other way on steroids.

What did you expect him to do. You do realize there is the Players Union. You do realize that the union balked for a long time on normal drug testing. You do realize that the Players Union wanted no part of drug testing, that on issues like this, the Players Union had all the power, which is why it took Congress to finally get the Union to move finally agree on a testing play. And the Union is the reason there is no HGH testing.

He makes the all-star game relevant with contrived home field advantage.

Agree this was stupid. In his defense, he felt like he had to do something because of all the shrill commentary over a tied All-Star (exhibition game), but it was an overreaction.

The DH or no DH in inter-league play is another example of his inability to make a decision.

You're reaching here. A decision has been made, and it what the owners agreed to -- the home team rules apply, which means DH in A.L. parks, no DH in N.L. parks.

He caves in to TV on post-season schedule.

Umm ... OK. How is he different that any other Commissioner. Have you not noticed the late starts for NBA or the sometimes long layoff between games.

similiar issues both Dodgers and Mets have financial issues, but Bud only steps in with Dodgers.

Different situations entirely. Yes the Mets have some issues, but so far, there hasn't been any question about the Mets meeting payroll or expenses. And the Mets solution to raise money is to sell part of the team. The reason Selig stepped in with the Dodgers is that there were questions about them meeting payroll and McCourt's solution to the financial crunch has been to take on more debt and to make a bad TV deal in which there were questions about whether all the money they got would even be used by the baseball team.

And one thing too many people fail to realize when they rip Selig is the the baseball commissioner is perhaps the weakest commissioner as an institute. He can't do much of anything substantial w/o the union or owners being on board. The union is the strongest of the major sports and the owners don't want a strong commissioner, which is why they fired Fay Vincent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

To Say Bud Selig has done nothing/Zero is ridiculous.

He's done plenty.

All of it bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

great post roy

actually

better than great

thanks

you save me a lot of typing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

To Say Bud Selig has done nothing/Zero is ridiculous. He's done plenty. All of it bad.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

All of it bad? Really?

How about the wildcard. The Sox would have made the playoffs just twice since the institution of the wildcard and 2004 never would have happened w/o the wildcard. To be fair, because of the wildcard, some late-season decisions might were made because the Sox clinched the wildcard. Had there been not wildcard, maybe different decisions (or at least sense of urgency) would have been made.

And what about interleague? I never really supported it but it has been popular. It was OK as a novelty early, and now I think it should go away, but again, based on attendance, there have been a lot of fans who do like it.

And I think he's doing a good job in handling the Dodgers' situation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Based on attendence alot of people like the Friday the 13th movies, too.

This does not make this compelling cinema.

Based on ratings and number of viewers, American Idol and Jersey Shore are top T.V. shows.

Need I say more?

We live in a time period where trash sells. Selig, T.V. networks, magazines, commisioner Bettman of NHL and Goodall of NFL understand this. They are aimimg for the bucks...they have targeted America's wallets. People eat it up, they love trash. Interleague play, the All Star jokegame, wildcard teams, colored jerseys,turning a blind eye to steroid use, multible caps with different colrs/logos, etc, this is all trash. Baseball is a shadow of it's former self. What right-thinking person would ever believe it is actually better now than what it was in the 50's, 60's or 70's? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Personally, I do not like Selig, but to say he has done nothing for baseball sems a bit much to me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Personally, I do not like Selig, but to say he has done nothing for baseball sems a bit much to me.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Would you believe , "next to nothing?"

How about , "very little?"

Would you believe, "his impact has reduced the great game to a freakshow?"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Based on attendence alot of people like the Friday the 13th movies, too. This does not make this compelling cinema. Based on ratings and number of viewers, American Idol and Jersey Shore are top T.V. shows. Need I say more? We live in a time period where trash sells. Selig, T.V. networks, magazines, commisioner Bettman of NHL and Goodall of NFL understand this. They are aimimg for the bucks...they have targeted America's wallets. People eat it up, they love trash. Interleague play, the All Star jokegame, wildcard teams, colored jerseys,turning a blind eye to steroid use, multible caps with different colrs/logos, etc, this is all trash. Baseball is a shadow of it's former self. What right-thinking person would ever believe it is actually better now than what it was in the 50's, 60's or 70's? 
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

interesting prospective zill

with some valid points

but I just can't agree with alot of it

as much as we might hate it

it is a business

and both ratings & attendance are in better shape

and you can't knock bud for that

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by jesseyeric

I've got mixed feelings about Selig. I don't like everything he's done or proposed, but I believe his heart is always in the right place because he loves the game and truly is interested in improving it.

His biggest problems in my opinion is that I think a lot of people don't like him because of the way he looks and talks, which is somewhat superficial, but often when people rip him, that's what they talk about.

His other problem is that he's a former owner, which makes him look like a puppet, but let's face it, that's what the owners want. They don't want an independent commissioner. They're not hiding the fact that the commissioner is basically the front man for ownership, which makes baseball less hypocritical than the other sports. At least they're honest about the arrangement.

Maybe a different person could make the position more than what it is, but it's highly unlikely that ownership will ever hire that type of person. Giamatti might have been that person. He had the sort of stature that might have allowed him to make the position a bit more independent w/o the owners taking him on, but he died before we could have seen if that would happened. When Vincent tried, they fired him.

So Selig becomes sort of the fall guy for what criticism that should be aimed at the owners and/or union.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: BUD SELIG MUST GO......... : He looked the other way on steroids. What did you expect him to do. You do realize there is the Players Union. You do realize that the union balked for a long time on normal drug testing. You do realize that the Players Union wanted no part of drug testing, that on issues like this, the Players Union had all the power, which is why it took Congress to finally get the Union to move finally agree on a testing play. And the Union is the reason there is no HGH testing. He makes the all-star game relevant with contrived home field advantage. Agree this was stupid. In his defense, he felt like he had to do something because of all the shrill commentary over a tied All-Star (exhibition game), but it was an overreaction. The DH or no DH in inter-league play is another example of his inability to make a decision. You're reaching here. A decision has been made, and it what the owners agreed to -- the home team rules apply, which means DH in A.L. parks, no DH in N.L. parks. He caves in to TV on post-season schedule. Umm ... OK. How is he different that any other Commissioner. Have you not noticed the late starts for NBA or the sometimes long layoff between games. similiar issues both Dodgers and Mets have financial issues, but Bud only steps in with Dodgers. Different situations entirely. Yes the Mets have some issues, but so far, there hasn't been any question about the Mets meeting payroll or expenses. And the Mets solution to raise money is to sell part of the team. The reason Selig stepped in with the Dodgers is that there were questions about them meeting payroll and McCourt's solution to the financial crunch has been to take on more debt and to make a bad TV deal in which there were questions about whether all the money they got would even be used by the baseball team. And one thing too many people fail to realize when they rip Selig is the the baseball commissioner is perhaps the weakest commissioner as an institute. He can't do much of anything substantial w/o the union or owners being on board. The union is the strongest of the major sports and the owners don't want a strong commissioner, which is why they fired Fay Vincent.
    Posted by royf19

If he had any balls he would have used ' the best interest in baseball clause ' to rid the game of steroids and then let the union take him to court, the public pressure would have then been on the union to justify the fact that they were the only major sport that didn't have some sort of drug testing in place. He is in fact the strongest commissioner, he has the hammer but is personally to weak to use it. I dis-agree about Dodgers, Mets granted how teams ended up in the mess they are in are different, but each team is financially handi-capped, and while the Mets are going to be allowed to essentially sell off their assests K-Rod, Beltran not signing Reyes, he is not going to allow the Dodgers the same option. You got me on the TV schedule I just wish one commish would stand up to the networks, a pipe dream I admit, and baseball is the obvious choice cause so many of their games are played in the day time

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: BUD SELIG MUST GO......... : WOW......  SO, WHAT HAS HE DONE TO BENEFIT THE GAME ???   TIME FOR SOME OF THAT "CHANGEY" STUFF TO TRANSFORM THE GAME !!
    Posted by Bill-806

May 2, 2011 - Good stuff from Will Leitch

about Commissioner-for-Life Allan H. Selig.

Leitch's big finish:

Bud Selig will always be a polarizing figure.

But when you clear out the public-­relations gaffes and the ugly ties, Goodell and Stern would love to be in Selig's position right now, with happy owners, happy players, and more fans than ever. Yep, ole Bud had a few tricks up his sleeve after all, even if that sleeve belongs to a ­twenty-year-old off-the-rack suit from Sears covered in taco sauce. He's a slob like a fox.

Does Bud Selig Lead The Commissioner Standings?

By Rob Neyer - National Baseball Editor

Five years ago, I might have argued that Selig's legacy was mixed, at best. It's still mixed -- everything is mixed -- but I believe he'll go down as perhaps the most influential and effective Commissioner in the game's history. Which isn't a bad legacy at all.
    http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/5/2/2150088/bud-selig-lead-the-commissioner-standings

so why does RSN have so little respect for my bud

sorry  soxmeister

so why do so many in  RSN have so little respect for my bud

jealously I say

jealously

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

It seems you have complaints about the game, but as a business with Bud as the CEO, his 30 partners are very happy with the business and the employees don't have much to complain about either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clappy. Show clappy's posts

Selig is an abomination. An owner should never be commissioner. He makes sleazy money-in-the-pocket decisions--and gets paid 22 mil a year to do it.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Selig is an abomination. An owner should never be commissioner. He makes sleazy money-in-the-pocket decisions--and gets paid 22 mil a year to do it.
    Posted by clappy
    GOOD POST, WELL SAID !!!

LMAO

thing is bill

bud hasn't been an owner for yrs

Sections
Shortcuts