Bud Selig, worst commissioner in baseball history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Bud Selig, worst commissioner in baseball history?

making the all-star game count is and has been a total success - what is the alternative, a coin toss? The two teams play uneven schedules so awarding it to the team with the best record doesnt make any sense...I actually see players/managers trying to win the game now as opposed to horsing around and treating it like its an exhibition - it's not - it is for home field advantage in the world series and the best players from each league have to represent their teams and leagues well....why would anyone beef about this?

dumb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Bud Selig, worst commissioner in baseball history?:
    [QUOTE]making the all-star game count is and has been a total success - what is the alternative, a coin toss? The two teams play uneven schedules so awarding it to the team with the best record doesnt make any sense...I actually see players/managers trying to win the game now as opposed to horsing around and treating it like its an exhibition - it's not - it is for home field advantage in the world series and the best players from each league have to represent their teams and leagues well....why would anyone beef about this? dumb
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

What's dumb is not accepting the idea that people have differing opinions.

To me, the All-Star game is just an exhibition. I don't want my players going all out at the risk of injury just to win an exhibition. What if you're a small-market team that is out of the race already. Do you want your start running into the wall just and get hurt to make a game-saving catch, just so your rival gets the homefield advantage in the World Series. Meanwhile, your star is on on the DL and attendance drops in the second half.

No other sport looks at the All-Star game as anything but an exhibition and big party. 

If you like the All-Star game, fine. But to me, it should just be viewed as an exhibition. There's nothing wrong IMO to just switching home field to each league from year to year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

roy, if you get chosen to be on the all-star squad, you should run into a damnnn wall for your team, your league, and your own pride...

if i want to see ball players horsing around and not taking their jobs seriously, I can go to Ft Myers in March.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

One of baseball's charms is that its all-star game is a compelling game. Whether "it counts" or not the nature of the game insures that it will be a true contest. Unlike the NFL, NBA and NHL where the players do not play defense.

While baseball is a team sport, each player is isolated in his own performance and the defense has the ball. It makes the play during the course of a game very high. The only difference is that managers will use more players over the course of a game.

It was a silly reaction to some media heat for calling the game due to a lack of players to continue with to tie WS home field advantage to it, but not because it affected the historical way home field has been assigned in baseball. IMO nothing had to be done about that game being called. But it hasn't been all that bad and in fact it does add yet a little more spice to what already is the most compelling all star event in North American sports.

If this is on the short list of Bud's bad moves as commissioner it has been a pretty good stewardship.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]roy, if you get chosen to be on the all-star squad, you should run into a damnnn wall for your team, your league, and your own pride... if i want to see ball players horsing around and not taking their jobs seriously, I can go to Ft Myers in March.

For your team, yes. For the league? I don't think so.

You can play hard w/o but still take it down a notch. Again, I use the examples of the other leagues. They have fun because it is what it is -- an exhibition.

My player example wasn't even the best. I don't want the Red Sox losing a Youk, or A-Gon or Lester or whoever to an injury in an All-Star game. If you're a fan, do you.

If the Red Sox and Yankees are in a neck-and-neck playoff race where the winner makes the playoff and the loser stays home -- let's say the wildcard goes to another division.

I don't want Youk making a game-winning play where he injures himself, misses two months and costs the Sox a playoff spot just so -- as it turns out -- the Yankees get home field in the World Series.

I know a lot of these guys will play hard anyway and there is risk of injury. But in an exhibition game, players now how to play hard, play well but turn it down a notch to prevent injury.

Growing up, I enjoyed the All-Star game and I didn't need anything artificial added to the game. Players still played hard.

Everyone simply overreacted to one fluke game where it went too long and teams ran out of pitching.

What happens down the road should another game go into extra innings and despite managers saving a pitcher or two for extra innings, the game still runs long -- 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. Do the poor slobs who were unfortunate enough to be the last pitcher be forced to pitching their arms out in the All-Star game. Or does a team be forced to use a position player because there are no pitchers and there HAS to be a winner because of the Wold Series.

Simply -- it was an unnecessary rule.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

They dont call him "Uncle B/S" for nothing,  worthless. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]The teams turned a blind eye and allowed it. You drank and then got into a car and drove drunk. Those that turned a blind eye have no responsiblity. You need to go to jail, just like the doping members of the MLBPA who refused to allow testing. The MLBPA is 100% responsible for taking drugs. No one else took the drugs or has any obligation to commit them to detox units.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

In fact, the bartender, and bar, that allows the person to leave and get in their car CAN actually be held accountable as well. The driver is most responsible, obviously, but yoyr argument is hugely flawed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]making the all-star game count is and has been a total success - what is the alternative, a coin toss? The two teams play uneven schedules so awarding it to the team with the best record doesnt make any sense...I actually see players/managers trying to win the game now as opposed to horsing around and treating it like its an exhibition - it's not - it is for home field advantage in the world series and the best players from each league have to represent their teams and leagues well....why would anyone beef about this? dumb
    well said, completely agree.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bud Selig, worst commissioner in baseball history? : What's dumb is not accepting the idea that people have differing opinions. To me, the All-Star game is just an exhibition. I don't want my players going all out at the risk of injury just to win an exhibition. What if you're a small-market team that is out of the race already. Do you want your start running into the wall just and get hurt to make a game-saving catch, just so your rival gets the homefield advantage in the World Series. Meanwhile, your star is on on the DL and attendance drops in the second half. No other sport looks at the All-Star game as anything but an exhibition and big party.  If you like the All-Star game, fine. But to me, it should just be viewed as an exhibition. There's nothing wrong IMO to just switching home field to each league from year to year.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

You're certainly right that everyone is entitled to his opinion.  But don't forget that this new wrinkle for the ASG is being cited as a reason why Selig is the worst in history.  So like, yeah, it's debatable, but SINCE it's debatable, it's not really a good argument in favor of the thesis, is it?  Personally, I like it a lot, and think it counts in Selig's favor.

And hey, if you're out of the race, don't send your guys, or tell them not to dive into the wall or whatever.  Personally, I think most of them give 100% out there anyway - alwaya did - cause there's a pride thing going on. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bud Selig, worst commissioner in baseball history? : For your team, yes. For the league? I don't think so. You can play hard w/o but still take it down a notch. Again, I use the examples of the other leagues. They have fun because it is what it is -- an exhibition. My player example wasn't even the best. I don't want the Red Sox losing a Youk, or A-Gon or Lester or whoever to an injury in an All-Star game. If you're a fan, do you. If the Red Sox and Yankees are in a neck-and-neck playoff race where the winner makes the playoff and the loser stays home -- let's say the wildcard goes to another division. I don't want Youk making a game-winning play where he injures himself, misses two months and costs the Sox a playoff spot just so -- as it turns out -- the Yankees get home field in the World Series. I know a lot of these guys will play hard anyway and there is risk of injury. But in an exhibition game, players now how to play hard, play well but turn it down a notch to prevent injury. Growing up, I enjoyed the All-Star game and I didn't need anything artificial added to the game. Players still played hard. Everyone simply overreacted to one fluke game where it went too long and teams ran out of pitching. What happens down the road should another game go into extra innings and despite managers saving a pitcher or two for extra innings, the game still runs long -- 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. Do the poor slobs who were unfortunate enough to be the last pitcher be forced to pitching their arms out in the All-Star game. Or does a team be forced to use a position player because there are no pitchers and there HAS to be a winner because of the Wold Series. Simply -- it was an unnecessary rule.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Now it's just 'unnecessary.'  Well, whatever, doesn't make him the worst in history.  Why don't we just add another one saying if it's tied through 11 or somethjing then it's a tie, and we alternate HFA on tie-years.