Bud Selig's House of Gimmicks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bud Selig's House of Gimmicks

1. Interleague play - overdone.

2. All-Star Game winner gets HFA in the World Series - ridiculous.

3. New Wild Card format - rinky-dink.

This new Wild Card format was supposed to put a higher premium on winning the division.  Maybe it does.  But what bothers me is that the teams that win the Wild Card games have some advantages of their own.  The way the Rays are set up for this series illustrates that.  They have been playing games while we have been sitting.  But they have also had enough off-days that they will be well rested.  Also, with the type of rotation they have, a 5-game series is more advantageous to them than a 7-game series would be.

Which brings me to my last complaint. 

With all the off-days they had to build in to accommodate the Wild Card games, they could have extended the LDS to 7-game series instead.

I know this might sound like sour grapes or whatever.  But I was critical of the new Wild Card format last year too.  I think it's a gimmick.  Sure it increases fan interest and increases profits.  But it's still a gimmick.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Bud Selig's House of Gimmicks

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

This new Wild Card format was supposed to put a higher premium on winning the division.  Maybe it does.  But what bothers me is that the teams that win the Wild Card games have some advantages of their own.  The way the Rays are set up for this series illustrates that.  They have been playing games while we have been sitting.  But they have also had enough off-days that they will be well rested.  Also, with the type of rotation they have, a 5-game series is more advantageous to them than a 7-game series would be.

With all the off-days they had to build in to accommodate the Wild Card games, they could have extended the LDS to 7-game series instead.

I know this might sound like sour grapes or whatever.  But I was critical of the new Wild Card format last year too.  I think it's a gimmick.  Sure it increases fan interest and increases profits.  But it's still a gimmick.

greetings bob

with all do respect

IMO

that the worst post you have ever made

have you check the attendance figures

last time I checked there were still definite increases

besides the way the leagues are set up now
    there' nothing they can do about it

I'm so amazed how many people are bothered by this

why is it any more ridiculous than taking turns

never heard anyone complain about that

which makes me wonder if it's no a anti bud thing

to each is own I love it as is

IMO there's no question it's still better to win the div

unfortunately the off days are needed in case of rain

I know this might sound like sour grapes or whatever

no problem

I'm guessing you didn't sleep that great last night

I'm thinking a lot of you had that same nightmare ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hmmm, not sure how funny that is Zac, considering he was killed by a sting ray. Kind of lets the air out of your joke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'm betting the Yankees would rather have nightmares, than tee times.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

The only joy they have left is hoping we lose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

The only joy they have left is hoping we lose.

Understandable...

Watching them get smoked by the Tigers last year didn't hurt my feelings any.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The Rays should not have had ANY off days and I'd rather face them in a 7 games set than a 5 game set.

I think what we are missing in 2013 vs 04 and 07 is:

Manny Rameriz - he could easily change the way Price and Moore go after us more so than Nap or Gomes

And a bona fide set up man - Timlin/Okie

Therefore:

The entire season will hinge on Lester's ability to pitch a gem in Game 1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Hmmm, not sure how funny that is Zac, considering he was killed by a sting ray. Kind of lets the air out of your joke.

no doubt some will agree with you

sadly the group of PC people in this country that wake up in the morning

looking to be offended grows daily

then there are others who will just look at it as a joke as it was intended

I'm thinking maybe you didn't think it was funny

cause you had the same nightmare and missed some sleep

BTW what's your pet name for maddon

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

no doubt some will agree with you

sadly the group of PC people in this country that wake up in the morning

looking to be offended grows daily

then there are others who will just look at it as a joke as it was intended

I'm thinking maybe you didn't think it was funny

cause you had the same nightmare and missed some sleep

BTW what's your pet name for maddon

Haha, first you'd have to go a long way to find someone LESS pc than me, so scratch that one. Second, I never said it offended me. Third, in spite of that, I dont think its cute to make fun of someone's death, that has nothing to do with pc. Fourth, I slept fine last night. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

greetings bob

with all do respect

IMO

Zac, there is no no way in heck that was the worst post I've ever made.  You obviously haven't read 'em all.

I was expecting this response from you, my friend.  You are probably the biggest Bud fan I've encountered on these forums.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

greetings bob

with all do respect

IMO

I know this might sound like sour grapes or whatever

no problem

I'm guessing you didn't sleep that great last night

I'm thinking a lot of you had that same nightmare ;-)

Agree with you on all points Zac.  It makes zero sense to me why people keep talking about how the winner of the ASG gets homefield advantage!!  WHO CARES!!!???

I actually think the added WC team and 1 game playoff has been the best decision in a LONG time!  There were some GREAT races near the end of the year and some of those were small market teams which is great for the game.

As for the crocodile hunter thing.....that one was bad my friend.  The guy died......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nothing they can do about it?  C'mon Zac, that's an incredibly weak argument.  What they could have done was left things exactly as they were - no interleague play, 16 teams in one league and 14 in the other.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Interleague play is definitely a plus and contributes to surging popularity of MLB.

MLB all-star game, unique of the three big ones--MLB, NFL, and NBA--actually has players trying their best, so why shouldn't the winning league get a bonus of home field advantage?  NFL and NBA all-star games are jokes, exhibitions, but not MLB.  Let's not forget that the two managers brought this about by declaring a tie to end an All-Star game.  As it turned out, it was good for MLB. 

One wild card team in each League was a great idea--balanced the division series with 4 teams each, plus it gave all 30 teams more hope to get into the playoffs.

Two wild card teams is fine with me.  Yes, absolutely, Tampa is now in great shape to whip the Sox, but to get here they had to go through Texas and Cleveland, no mean feat.  They earned where they are.  I almost never agree with redsoxfireman, but I agree on this point:  time for the Sox to show their mettle. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Agree with you on all points Zac.  It makes zero sense to me why people keep talking about how the winner of the ASG gets homefield advantage!!  WHO CARES!!!???

The ASG is an exhibition game.  It's not a real game.  The fans vote for the All Stars.  The game is not played like a regular game - pitchers go 1 or 2 innings etc.  Basing HFA on this is a joke.  The old alternating system was fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I like best record to determine HFA for the WS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Interleague play is definitely a plus and contributes to surging popularity of MLB.

How do you know this? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

"This was the first year of the Astros moving into the AL, and with it, interleague play was sprinkled from the start to end of the season. In years past, the league liked to tout how popular interleague was compared to intraleague, but that was misleading as the games were played in two small pockets in the summer, thus skewing the results. Over 295 games, interleague drew an average of 31,102 per game compared to 30,406, a difference of 696 per game."

From

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of MLB's 2013 Attendance

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Use the results of interleague play to determine home field advantage for the World Series.  That gives you a base of 280 games.  If there's a tie, maybe you use the records of the team involved in the playoffs.  Or if the 2 World Series teams met during the year, the results of that matchup.  Anything is better than 1 exhibition data point. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I agree with you.

I would add the worst part of interleague play is two sets of rules DH/No DH. If there is going to interleague play everyday like we have now there needs to be one set rule on this. Its crazy that who can and can't play is based on where you are playing.

As far as the Wild Card goes the LDS series should start the next day after the WC game so that the wild card team doesn't get to use their WC game pitcher as early as game 3. As it is setup now there is little penalty for not winning your division. The RedSox finished 6 games ahead of the Rays in the regular season, their reward should be more than one extra home game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Use the results of interleague play to determine home field advantage for the World Series.  That gives you a base of 280 games.  If there's a tie, maybe you use the records of the team involved in the playoffs.  Or if the 2 World Series teams met during the year, the results of that matchup.  Anything is better than 1 exhibition data point. 

+1000
    That make so much more sense that basing it on just one game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

I agree with you.

I would add the worst part of interleague play is two sets of rules DH/No DH. If there is going to interleague play everyday like we have now there needs to be one set rule on this. Its crazy that who can and can't play is based on where you are playing.

As far as the Wild Card goes the LDS series should start the next day after the WC game so that the wild card team doesn't get to use their WC game pitcher as early as game 3. As it is setup now there is little penalty for not winning your division. The RedSox finished 6 games ahead of the Rays in the regular season, their reward should be more than one extra home game.

that's why winning G1 is so important

Sox can take G1, G3, and either G4 or G5 (At home) - so hopefully that finally game, at home, will end up being the difference maker..........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

point taken kingface

but unlike exam said

I wasn't making fun of the death of anyone

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nothing they can do about it?  C'mon Zac, that's an incredibly weak argument.  What they could have done was left things exactly as they were - no interleague play, 16 teams in one league and 14 in the other.

that's all true Hfx

but I was under the impression the players didn't think the uneven divisons were fair

I think they have a point

the good news is I'm pretty sure most teams have a couple of less intl games this way

You obviously haven't read 'em all.

LOL

I do defend when I can
    while others seem to doubt it

I have no doubt he loves the game as much as we do

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

once again I don't see a big deal here

it's fair it's the  same for everyone

edit: everyone who doesn't have ortiz

As far as the Wild Card goes the LDS series should start the next day after the WC game so that the wild card team doesn't get to use their WC game pitcher as early as game 3. As it is setup now there is little penalty for not winning your division.

that would be better

but what a mess it would make

if there was a 3 way tie  or rain

The RedSox finished 6 games ahead of the Rays in the regular season, their reward should be more than one extra home game.

why don't you ask texas or clev if that was the only reward

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Zac is the one having nightmares, seeing as the Yankees bent over and grabbed their ankles for the Rays last month. Seeing as none of us have ever reported having a nightmare about being chased by a stingray, and seeing as he is the one that created and posted the image, we can only assume its a nightmare HE had last month, and is trying to shovel it off onto us to exorcise himself. Even so, I do admit playing the Rays will be tougher than playing a bunch of patsies like the Twins the ALDS round (See 2009 playoff brackets). They are more than capable of beating us, but that Twins team? LOL, youve got to be kidding......

Sections
Shortcuts