Bud Selig's House of Gimmicks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Re: Bud Selig's House of Gimmicks

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

I would add the worst part of interleague play is two sets of rules DH/No DH. If there is going to interleague play everyday like we have now there needs to be one set rule on this. Its crazy that who can and can't play is based on where you are playing.

once again I don't see a big deal here

it's fair it's the  same for everyone

edit: everyone who doesn't have ortiz

As far as the Wild Card goes the LDS series should start the next day after the WC game so that the wild card team doesn't get to use their WC game pitcher as early as game 3. As it is setup now there is little penalty for not winning your division.

that would be better

but what a mess it would make

if there was a 3 way tie  or rain

Rain outs are rare and a 3 way tie is even rarer. if something like that happens then you just have to adjust, but most seasons you will get a better experience

The RedSox finished 6 games ahead of the Rays in the regular season, their reward should be more than one extra home game.

why don't you ask texas or clev if that was the only reward

The idea of the wildcard is that it is suppose to be a tougher road. Winning the wildcard game shouldn't put you on near equal footing with the division winner

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

I'd say if there is a tie between teams competing for a wild-card, that game should be played the day after the regular season ends. Then, the wild card game should be the day after, and the LDS series should begin the day after the wild card game.  This provides a proper reward for winning the division, and does not allow the wild card teams to "recover".

Regardless, RS would have a tough series with the Rays.  With their pitching, the Rays are capable of beating the Sox in a five-game series.  Our bats will need to come alive or we could have a very short playoff season.  Still, Sox in five.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Interleague play - overdone.

2. All-Star Game winner gets HFA in the World Series - ridiculous.

3. New Wild Card format - rinky-dink.

This new Wild Card format was supposed to put a higher premium on winning the division.  Maybe it does.  But what bothers me is that the teams that win the Wild Card games have some advantages of their own.  The way the Rays are set up for this series illustrates that.  They have been playing games while we have been sitting.  But they have also had enough off-days that they will be well rested.  Also, with the type of rotation they have, a 5-game series is more advantageous to them than a 7-game series would be.

Which brings me to my last complaint. 

With all the off-days they had to build in to accommodate the Wild Card games, they could have extended the LDS to 7-game series instead.

I know this might sound like sour grapes or whatever.  But I was critical of the new Wild Card format last year too.  I think it's a gimmick.  Sure it increases fan interest and increases profits.  But it's still a gimmick.

greetings bob

with all do respect

IMO

that the worst post you have ever made

have you check the attendance figures

last time I checked there were still definite increases

besides the way the leagues are set up now
    there' nothing they can do about it

2. All-Star Game winner gets HFA in the World Series - ridiculous.

I'm so amazed how many people are bothered by this

why is it any more ridiculous than taking turns

never heard anyone complain about that

which makes me wonder if it's no a anti bud thing

to each is own I love it as is

IMO there's no question it's still better to win the div

unfortunately the off days are needed in case of rain

[/QUOTE]

Zac, there is no no way in heck that was the worst post I've ever made.  You obviously haven't read 'em all.

I was expecting this response from you, my friend.  You are probably the biggest Bud fan I've encountered on these forums.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

[/QUOTE]

Your "friend" just completely mocked your post because you dared say anything about one of his MLB heroes-- probably one of the least liked people in MLB. Kinda made you sound like you were just having a bad day and made a mistake like you weren't in your right mind at the time. I just wonder how your "friend" would respond to your posts if you ever said anything negative about the Yankees.

Alas, you'll probably never know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Your "friend" just completely mocked your post because you dared say anything about one of his MLB heroes-- probably one of the least liked people in MLB. Kinda made you sound like you were just having a bad day and made a mistake like you weren't in your right mind at the time. I just wonder how your "friend" would respond to your posts if you ever said anything negative about the Yankees.

Alas, you'll probably never know.

Oh kim.  What makes me and zac 'friends' as baseball fans on this forum is that we can have diseagreements like this without getting bent out of shape.  He's a diehard Yankee fan, I'm a diehard Sox fan, but we're both diehard baseball fans.  He knows a lot about baseball and so do I, and we respect each other's opinions even when we totally disagree like this.  It keeps things interesting and fun.

I also know from experience that you have no idea why I feel like this and that I could try to explain it for days without changing your mind one iota.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we should balance the schedule a bit and play a 2 game series against every NL club (30 games a year total). Then, play 3 home and 3 away vs the other AL teams (60 games total). That leaves 72 games vs our own division (18 games vs each)

2.. All-Star Game winner gets HFA in the World Series - ridiculous.

Better than alternating it.

Agreed. It should be a best of 3 series starting the day after the season ends.

4. With all the off-days they had to build in to accommodate the Wild Card games, they could have extended the LDS to 7-game series instead.

Have the 3 game WC series, one day off, and then a 7 game div series.

Shorten the season if needed, even if by having more double headers and expanding the roster to 26 or 27 players and a 44 man roster as well.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think we should balance the schedule a bit and play a 2 game series against every NL club (30 games a year total). Then, play 3 home and 3 away vs the other AL teams (60 games total). That leaves 72 games vs our own division (18 games vs each)

2.. All-Star Game winner gets HFA in the World Series - ridiculous.

Better than alternating it.

Agreed. It should be a best of 3 series starting the day after the season ends.

4. With all the off-days they had to build in to accommodate the Wild Card games, they could have extended the LDS to 7-game series instead.

Have the 3 game WC series, one day off, and then a 7 game div series.

Shorten the season if needed, even if by having more double headers and expanding the roster to 26 or 27 players and a 44 man roster as well.

Sox4ever

Shorten the season? Im guessing you mean by days and not number of games. Dont see them doing it, although playing double headers or expanding the rosters is a good idea if you could pull it off. I remember the days of actual scheduled double headers, not sure it would go over now. IMO a three game series for the WC would punish the division winners by making them sit around and rust, and 7 is too long for a division series. I dont like what the NBA has done in expanding all series to 7 games. A money making venture only, adds nothing to the competition. The one game playoff should be the day after the season, and the divisional round should start the day after an opponent for the top seed has been determined. The way it is now, if anything, its worked to Tampa Bay's advantage. They lost nothing and may have gained by staying in action with well placed days off. MLB continues to get it wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shorten the season? Im guessing you mean by days and not number of games. Dont see them doing it, although playing double headers or expanding the rosters is a good idea if you could pull it off. I remember the days of actual scheduled double headers, not sure it would go over now. IMO a three game series for the WC would punish the division winners by making them sit around and rust, and 7 is too long for a division series.

Yes, shorten the season by days not games, although I'm not strongly against that.

We waited 4 days anyway. If they had started the 3 game series Monday and played 3 in 3 days, had one day off, then the rest is the same for us.

Baseball is not like Basketball. That is why we play 162 games not 82. You need a longer series to determine the true better team.

1 game play-in or playoffs in baseball is nearly a coin-toss.

I dont like what the NBA has done in expanding all series to 7 games. A money making venture only, adds nothing to the competition. The one game playoff should be the day after the season, and the divisional round should start the day after an opponent for the top seed has been determined. The way it is now, if anything, its worked to Tampa Bay's advantage. They lost nothing and may have gained by staying in action with well placed days off. MLB continues to get it wrong.

TB gained by having to use Price on the Monday play-in game and not the Wednesday 2nd round play-in game. Now, he is set up to face us twice instead of one.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

The way it is now, if anything, its worked to Tampa Bay's advantage.

They lost nothing and may have gained by staying in action with well placed days off.

I agree

but it only worked out because they won their win or done PO

do you really think your reds or clev lost nothing by doing it this way

MLB continues to get it wrong.

this guy  continues to get it wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I've got to agree with you Mr. HF Nut.

You are my favorite Blue Oyster Cult fan ( besides myself, sorry). We have disagreed about the pitch count thing and the way pitchers are used in the game 2013 vs. 1971. But I go along with you on all three ( and if you said Bud Selig was a jerk , I'd agree with that too).

I hate interleague play, it takes away from "inner league" play. I would rather play the Tigers and Cleveland more often and not bother with Colorado and San Diego (I mean who really cares about games vs. west coast NL teams who are out of contention around July 31???).

The All Star game is a snooze fest. doesn't really count for anything , because most of the stars in the game know they won't be in the World Series...do you seriously think a White Sox All Star is concerned about home advantage in a playoff series when he knows his team hasn't got a prayer of making postseason?

The one game Wild Card playoff is terrible. Teams celebrate "making" the playoffs , when in fact they don't really "make" the playoffs until they win this one game. A playoff series allows teams to display more of their depth ( more than one stud starting pitcher) , which is why Tampa had the advantage over Cleveland- they have better pitching and can throw any one of their top 3 , Moore, Price or Cobb at you and have the upper hand even though they have a pedestrian lineup of hitters. I even hate the best of 5 playoff because of this. Your team's depth is not as much of a factor and the small market teams have a better chance ( maybe this is Bud's plan...do you think ?...but I believe teams that excel in the reg. season are not getting any real advantage to finishing higher in the stndings and winning the division. Sure, a one game home advantage in a 5 game series, but slip up in one game and everything you worked for goes down the drain....I just don't like it.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

Sections
Shortcuts