Buehrle needs to be a priority

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

Buehrle needs to be a priority

We have some more money now that Paps signed with the Phils. Wilson is the only A-type free agent that is worth the pick and i dont want to invest that much money into a starter. Buehrle is a B-type free agent so he won't cost picks and his numbers are solid. He'll also only be 33 next year so a couple years on a contract will not hurt us. We have the money to do it and we definitely have the need for him. Also if Boston gets him that could mean Aceves stays in the pen which will help our depth out... especially now that Paps is gone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Buehrle needs to be a priority

I definitely prefer Buehrle to Wilson.

Buerhle throws so effortlessly and racks up 200 IP every season.  He does go through cold streak, but also has streaks where he is equally hot.

He is also one of only 6 pitchers in MLB history to throw a perfect game and another no hitter.

And he holds the Major League record for most consecutive batters retired, which he took from Bobby Jenks...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I like Buerhle also, as do the Yanks I bet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: Buehrle needs to be a priority:
    [QUOTE]I like Buerhle also, as do the Yanks I bet.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Yanks and Sox have been going at this for quite a few years now.  That said - Buehrle would be a real plus signing for the Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Buehrle's one of those get-the-ball-and-pitch-it guys too.  Having him would do a lot for speeding up those long games!

(That's not really a priority of mine.  This is just an aside.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like Buehrle but there are a couple of reasons for concern.  One is that he hasn't pitched well at Fenway (4.95 ERA and 1.60 WHIP in 6 starts).  Second is that his record against the Yankees is horrific (1-8, 6.38 ERA, 1.69 WHIP).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

His record against 2 teams...2 of the best offensive teams, can't be a large strike on the guy.  How does he do versus the other 28 teams.  Sort of like lackey unfortunately, the Sox need pitching, bad, and there are only a few viable choices, and alot of competition.  They are going to have to spend lackey $, maybe just shorter contract length for him or wilson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]His record against 2 teams...2 of the best offensive teams, can't be a large strike on the guy.  How does he do versus the other 28 teams.  Sort of like lackey unfortunately, the Sox need pitching, bad, and there are only a few viable choices, and alot of competition.  They are going to have to spend lackey $, maybe just shorter contract length for him or wilson.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

My thought exactly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I think Buehrle would be a good addition, at the right price.  Not sure if he can be had for that, the market for starters is so thin the prices may be way over-inflated.  Hopefully the episode with Paps is a sign that Cherington is not going to allow Sox owners to overpay any longer.  They have enough bad contracts on the books.  And Paps leaving, unfortunately, does NOT mean they have more money to spend.  His salary is going to AGon.  The Sox have Drew's salary to spend on fixing the pitching staff, which will and should include several relievers, especially now that Paps is gone.

If they sign Papi at a big discount, or (as I have recommended) let Papi walk and sign a cheaper DH alternative (Guerrero, anyone?), then they will have more money to maneuver with, but even that money will go to pay for the arbitration players who have earned big pay raises (Ellsbury anyone?).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I like Buehrle but there are a couple of reasons for concern.  One is that he hasn't pitched well at Fenway (4.95 ERA and 1.60 WHIP in 6 starts).  Second is that his record against the Yankees is horrific (1-8, 6.38 ERA, 1.69 WHIP).
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Whenever looking at free agents I tend to throwout a pitchers ERA in Fenway because if we were to sign them, they won't be facing our lineup. Buerhle is a proven vet and his 4.95 ERA at Fenway translates into 3.3 earned runs allowed per start. Which isn't horrible? I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown by game. Sometimes in a small sample (6 starts), one game can skew the numbers. That said, his numbers vs the Yanks do have merit and I'd also like to see his numbers vs the rest of the AL east (I'll look it up later) and though the sample is larger vs the Yanks it still pretty small and one or two bad starts could also be the reason for the inflated ERA?

That said, if we take away the names and and specificsand focus on the resume. Buerhle is the type of pitcher I see as addressing our greatest need. Which is a veteran who's healthy and has a track record for durability (30 start 200 Inning sub 4 ERA).

My top two free agent targets would be Wilson (unlikely $$$$) and Jackson (more likely). End of the day, Cherington IMHO has to add one guy that's fits the above qualifier and is under the teams control for at minimum 2 years to bridge the gap to Lackey and cover for the loss of Matsusaka. Then turn hios attention to bolstering the organizational depth and sign or trade for a couple of arms to compete for the 5th and 6th starter roles...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I think Buehrle would be a good addition, at the right price.  Not sure if he can be had for that, the market for starters is so thin the prices may be way over-inflated.  Hopefully the episode with Paps is a sign that Cherington is not going to allow Sox owners to overpay any longer.  They have enough bad contracts on the books.  And Paps leaving, unfortunately, does NOT mean they have more money to spend.  His salary is going to AGon.  The Sox have Drew's salary to spend on fixing the pitching staff, which will and should include several relievers, especially now that Paps is gone. If they sign Papi at a big discount, or (as I have recommended) let Papi walk and sign a cheaper DH alternative (Guerrero, anyone?), then they will have more money to maneuver with, but even that money will go to pay for the arbitration players who have earned big pay raises (Ellsbury anyone?).
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

In as much as we don't know what the top end of the payroll is yet. Hard to state emphatically that the Sox lack moneys to sign or add contracts through trades...Based on last years numbers and what the Sox have coming off the books. The Sox have in the neighborhood of 30M to 40M to spend in 2012 and stay below the 178M 2011 tax threshold. Which could balloon to 186M est for 2012 if the limit follows the same arc that is has since 2007...

The unknown is that MLB and the players association have yet to agree on a new CBA for 2012 and beyond. So today it's unclear if they'll maintain the same competitive balance tax format in the new CBA. My guess is that Selig will do everything in his power to keep the tax format as close to it current form due to the funds that teams pay goes directly to the growth of the game fund, moneys he uses to fund the World Games and all of the baseball academy's world wide...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Buehrle would be a nice fit as long as we don't have to sign him to a long term contract. Those contracts haven't worked out too well for the Sox lately.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Buerhle should not be offered more than 2 years and 15M, plus up to an additional 3M per year for 23 starts. Buerhle will set the much larger base and or years hook in some dimwit GM like InEpstein.

Papelbon should have received an early 2 years and 30M. It was correct not to go more than 2 years. Papelbon, from rural backwoods of southeast, was never popular with New England. Great run and a true trooper, Papelbon will be missed but the team can still be overall improved with a competent GM.

A much lower cost 1 or 2 year deal should be early offered to Bell or similar profile top end pen arm. Budget for pen should be 1 year and no more than 8M, or 2 years and no more than 12M.

There are no long term large base value worthy SP in FA market. Do not bid auction style for Wilson or Buehrle. Make early 2 year offers of no more than 2 years and 15M guaranteed plus 3M/yr in incentives. Budget Wastefield's 4M from 2011 and about 5M more and make about 3 or 4 MLB and ML potential MLB contract offers to 3 or 4 veteran FA pitchers. I provided the list, on earlier threads.  

Red Sox will need to utilize trade market (Ellsbury is #1 current trade value piece), stay away from Beltran and offer Ortiz 1 year 11M plus year 2 option at 7M and 2.75M buyout. Yankees will not offer more than 2 years and about 20M as bluffing tactic. If said offer sheet is provided, increase to final offer of 1 year and 13.25M plus 2.75M buyout. Ortiz will not leave brand with Red Sox for 4 to 6M more paid over 2 years with Yankees.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

All I know is what I read, and according to what I've read, Cherington has indicated he is not going for any big signings in FA.  And so far he has been reportedly straight forward and very candid in his interviews.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]All I know is what I read, and according to what I've read, Cherington has indicated he is not going for any big signings in FA.  And so far he has been reportedly straight forward and very candid in his interviews.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Par,
    I wouldn't read too much into his public statements...End of the day there's only two guys out there that IMHO fall under the big signings umbrella and that's Fielder and Puljos niether of whom are fits for us anyways. Language can be tricky and if used correctly, one can be vague and leave the door open by using terms like "probably not" or "unlikely"...Neither of which are emphatic "no's" and both imply possible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]I definitely prefer Buehrle to Wilson. Buerhle throws so effortlessly and racks up 200 IP every season.  He does go through cold streak, but also has streaks where he is equally hot. He is also one of only 6 pitchers in MLB history to throw a perfect game and another no hitter. And he holds the Major League record for most consecutive batters retired, which he took from Bobby Jenks...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Just what the Red Sox need.

A gold glove, .500 pitcher who has a personality EXACTLY matching Jon Lester's. You can't be serious. Mark Buehrle? He'll be good for one thing and one thing only, and that's sharing his parenting successes with Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez in the clubhouse before games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Buerhle should not be offered more than 2 years and 15M, plus up to an additional 3M per year for 23 starts. Buerhle will set the much larger base and or years hook in some dimwit GM like InEpstein. Papelbon should have received an early 2 years and 30M. It was correct not to go more than 2 years. Papelbon, from rural backwoods of southeast, was never popular with New England. Great run and a true trooper, Papelbon will be missed but the team can still be overall improved with a competent GM. A much lower cost 1 or 2 year deal should be early offered to Bell or similar profile top end pen arm. Budget for pen should be 1 year and no more than 8M, or 2 years and no more than 12M. There are no long term large base value worthy SP in FA market. Do not bid auction style for Wilson or Buehrle. Make early 2 year offers of no more than 2 years and 15M guaranteed plus 3M/yr in incentives. Budget Wastefield's 4M from 2011 and about 5M more and make about 3 or 4 MLB and ML potential MLB contract offers to 3 or 4 veteran FA pitchers. I provided the list, on earlier threads.   Red Sox will need to utilize trade market (Ellsbury is #1 current trade value piece), stay away from Beltran and offer Ortiz 1 year 11M plus year 2 option at 7M and 2.75M buyout. Yankees will not offer more than 2 years and about 20M as bluffing tactic. If said offer sheet is provided, increase to final offer of 1 year and 13.25M plus 2.75M buyout. Ortiz will not leave brand with Red Sox for 4 to 6M more paid over 2 years with Yankees.   
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

When you talk baseball, you are generally on the money. When you make subjective statements about Papelbon not being liked in New England, you are so far off base its not even funny. Papelbon is a Sox hero and legend and the vast majority of Sox fans overlooked his quirks because he was our own.  We snicker at his overly intense glare and kilt dancing because he was a gamer, a champion and the best closer in club history.  had absolutely nothing to do with his southern roots. That idea is as ridiculous as your notion of Ortiz being reviled in Boston. Your desire to paint New Englanders as a prejudiced, provincial lot, while rooted in a sort of overwash of historical half-truth, is so like, 1970s.  Give me a break. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

When you talk baseball, you are generally on the money. When you make subjective statements about Papelbon not being liked in New England, you are so far off base its not even funny. Papelbon is a Sox hero and legend and the vast majority of Sox fans overlooked his quirks because he was our own. We snicker at his overly intense glare and kilt dancing because he was a gamer, a champion and the best closer in club history. had absolutely nothing to do with his southern roots. That idea is as ridiculous as your notion of Ortiz being reviled in Boston. Your desire to paint New Englanders as a prejudiced, provincial lot, while rooted in a sort of overwash of historical half-truth, is so like, 1970s. Give me a break. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]Buerhle should not be offered more than 2 years and 15M, plus up to an additional 3M per year for 23 starts. Buerhle will set the much larger base and or years hook in some dimwit GM like InEpstein. Papelbon should have received an early 2 years and 30M. It was correct not to go more than 2 years. Papelbon, from rural backwoods of southeast, was never popular with New England. Great run and a true trooper, Papelbon will be missed but the team can still be overall improved with a competent GM. A much lower cost 1 or 2 year deal should be early offered to Bell or similar profile top end pen arm. Budget for pen should be 1 year and no more than 8M, or 2 years and no more than 12M. There are no long term large base value worthy SP in FA market. Do not bid auction style for Wilson or Buehrle. Make early 2 year offers of no more than 2 years and 15M guaranteed plus 3M/yr in incentives. Budget Wastefield's 4M from 2011 and about 5M more and make about 3 or 4 MLB and ML potential MLB contract offers to 3 or 4 veteran FA pitchers. I provided the list, on earlier threads.   Red Sox will need to utilize trade market (Ellsbury is #1 current trade value piece), stay away from Beltran and offer Ortiz 1 year 11M plus year 2 option at 7M and 2.75M buyout. Yankees will not offer more than 2 years and about 20M as bluffing tactic. If said offer sheet is provided, increase to final offer of 1 year and 13.25M plus 2.75M buyout. Ortiz will not leave brand with Red Sox for 4 to 6M more paid over 2 years with Yankees.   
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

I just realized it. You're Billy Beane aren't you?!?! I loved your movie!! Do you really stay away from the ballpark on gamedays?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I don't agree that it's a priority, although he a CJ appear to be the best FA's out there.
    The only thing with Buehrle is he gives up a lot of HRs, but so do Lester and Beckett so I suppose we could live with that. I wish his K/9 rate was better though.

Sections
Shortcuts