Bullpen coach Gary Tuck resigns from Sox....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Bullpen coach Gary Tuck resigns from Sox....

Red Sox bullpen coach and catching instructor Gary Tuck resigned from his position Tuesday for personal reasons. Tuck had been working with Ryan Lavarnway in Fort Myers, Fla., the past week, but informed general manager Ben Cherington he would not be returning.

Cherington said the team is exploring internal options to fill the position.

Tuck, who was the lone holdover from fired manager Bobby Valentine’s staff, took a leave of absence last season because of personal matters. He was replaced then by minor league instructor Chad Epperson.

Tuck has a good reputation for his catching knowledge and instruction. He helped in the development of former Yankees star Jorge Posada and was instrumental in the improvements made by Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway.

Former catcher Jason Varitek, who is a special assistant to Cherington, could be a candidate to replace Tuck.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Bullpen coach Gary Tuck resigns from Sox....

this has V-tek written all over it..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

this has V-tek written all over it..

Not sure V-Tek wants to give up the goooood life to become a full time coach/baby sitter.........  Maybe part time as a rover ???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Red Sox bullpen coach and catching instructor Gary Tuck resigned from his position Tuesday for personal reasons. Tuck had been working with Ryan Lavarnway in Fort Myers, Fla., the past week, but informed general manager Ben Cherington he would not be returning.

Tuck, who was the lone holdover from fired manager Bobby Valentine’s staff, took a leave of absence last season because of personal matters. He was replaced then by minor league instructor Chad Epperson.

Tuck has a good reputation for his catching knowledge and instruction. He helped in the development of former Yankees star Jorge Posada and was instrumental in the improvements made by Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway.

Former catcher Jason Varitek, who is a special assistant to Cherington, could be a candidate to replace Tuck.

That bites.

Tuck has a reputation for being one of the best catcher/bullpen coaches in baseball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

That bites.

Tuck has a reputation for being one of the best catcher/bullpen coaches in baseball.

Calm down here......  "A DIME A DOZ"  !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Was this the big move BILL has been waiting for?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

That bites.

You'll pardon me, if I continue to believe you don't have a freakin' clue, Bill.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

The sox should wait for the first home game to replace Tuck....They could have Mirabelli arrive in a cab.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

That bites.

You'll pardon me, if I continue to believe you don't have a freakin' clue, Bill.

Clue ???  Not sure, but I sure as heck have an "OPINION"  !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Tuck also missed significant time last year. I would welcome Tek in a position to tutor Salty and Lavarnway, as well as sit in with the pitcher/catcher meetings. He has to know more about Lester, Buch, Bard, Aceves, LAckey than anyone else on the team. He could only be a plus I would assume.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Tuck also missed significant time last year. I would welcome Tek in a position to tutor Salty and Lavarnway, as well as sit in with the pitcher/catcher meetings. He has to know more about Lester, Buch, Bard, Aceves, LAckey than anyone else on the team. He could only be a plus I would assume.

Same here.

But, I think it's too much to ask, to offer Tek the bullpen coach.

Coaches put in an unbelievable amout of time in. I doubt he'd be interested, at this point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Varitek would seem the logical replacement, and would probably do a better job than Tuck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Varitek would seem the logical replacement, and would probably do a better job than Tuck.

A better job how, exactly?

You know something that Tuck didn't do well, specifically?

Or, are you just filling your weekly 'I've got say something negative"quota?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Alibites knows so much about baseball, he's forgotten more than than the collective universe or anyone of us will ever know, want to know or need to know. He's a veritable encyclopedia of baseball knowledge !! 

Did I just write that. 

Sarcastically, Hetch

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Alibites knows so much about baseball, he's forgotten more than than the collective universe or anyone of us will ever know, want to know or need to know. He's a veritable encyclopedia of baseball knowledge !! 

Did I just write that. 

Sarcastically, Hetch

Too bad he only provides vauge generalities, the majority of the time.

He really should do more to enlighten us poor slobs! lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

Boy.

You sure have no idea on Sox stuff.

It's been reported that Tuck has personal issues, and actually had to take time off for them. His head can't be in the game 100% with that going on. Plus there is not a generational gap with Tek and as the former captain of the team, would likely have a positive influence with the players.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Boy.

You sure have no idea on Sox stuff.

It's been reported that Tuck has personal issues, and actually had to take time off for them. His head can't be in the game 100% with that going on. Plus there is not a generational gap with Tek and as the former captain of the team, would likely have a positive influence with the players.

Tuck is the one who worked with and corrected Salty's faults, worked with all the kids...not inlcuding his work with the same job as the Yanks...

and as for Tek....yeah that postive influence really worked well during the chicken and beer fiasco...

seriously.....think before you type.

So, you would rather have a guy who has personal issues than the former Sox catcher for 15 years, working with the pitchers?

You are the one who needs to think before typing.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think Varitek wants to get a spot in the front office. Bullpen coach seems like a demotion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This is a tough blow.  Tuck had the best BPCERA in the majors over his tenure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

This is a tough blow.  Tuck had the best BPCERA in the majors over his tenure.

LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I think Varitek wants to get a spot in the front office. Bullpen coach seems like a demotion.

its step 1 of a number of jobs he most likely will have along the way. in his postion, along with Pedro, step 1 means helping the team any way the team needs them.

I would have to imagine having Tek in pitcher/catcher meetings would be a big help to the veteren pitchers that he knows well. has to help Salty and Lava as well with their game plan.

Tek wouldnt have to be "bull pen" coach per se...or he could be co bull pen coach and work home games....simply helping the team in any way he can

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

its step 1 of a number of jobs he most likely will have along the way. in his postion, along with Pedro, step 1 means helping the team any way the team needs them.

I would have to imagine having Tek in pitcher/catcher meetings would be a big help to the veteren pitchers that he knows well. has to help Salty and Lava as well with their game plan.

Tek wouldnt have to be "bull pen" coach per se...or he could be co bull pen coach and work home games....simply helping the team in any way he can

" Special Assistant" sounds much more impressive than " Bullpen coach."  

Sections
Shortcuts