BurritoT's July forecast......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re: BurritoT's July forecast......

Maybe you didn't look at the calendar, July 15th is the All Star break, when they come back to action they have games immediately with their division rivals, Yankees, Rays and Orioles. It's more logical to see where things stand on July 28th. Circle your calendar, we may be buyers and not sellers at the deadline.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

The Burrito plan is quite similar to the Pumpsie and Moonslav plans that we've been reading about since last October.

Conan, what is your plan? After you get tired of stalking Bill, of course.

Pike...what is your plan?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

I agree with how the FO filled in gaping holes in the lineup during the winter by overpaying for short term free agents and maintaining a decent enough product on the field to continue drawing 30,000 fans per game and keep TV and radio ratings decent. I agree with Ben on not trading any prospects or losing any draft picks.

Many on the forum finally admitted after a winter of discontent ( playing armchair GM) , including Moonslav, that they are surprised at how well Ben has done over the winter. Refer to the Notin thread titled "2013 Off Season Rebuttal" where many forum regular wiped the egg off of their faces, ate crow,  and admitted that what they had proposed via FA acquisitions and trades would not have worked out well.

Of course, 20-20 hindsight says that signing Hanrahan was a bad move but Ben doesn't have a crystal ball. That won't stop Schumpeter for calling signing him as totally inept. The Drew concussion and resulting slow start are not Ben's fault as well as the current rash of injuries.

Good job, TV GUY.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Always find it amazing that arm chair GMs think they know exactly what needs to be done and without any actual information other than what they see on TV or on the internet.

Jr was here and does any one think that maybe the early bad stretch may have hurt him and his confidence? So sure let's bring up all the rookies mentioned and have them sink or swim. Of course then if they failed people would be all over BC for doing just that.

Just because you dislike the current team does not mean the signings were wrong. They were done with a purpose. IMHO that purpose was to keep all the kids. They also signed players with a certain history and they all are living up to that except Gomes. Han and Bailey are both out so I will still wait on them. Dempster, Napoli, Ross and Victorino have all been exactly as their careers have shown.

The other part of the purpose is if and when they are out of the running the guys they will let go should bring decent kids. Then you add them to the current group and you just might have a helluva young team come next year.

Just remember NOTHING is garunteed if it were the Angels, Dodgers and Toronto would be running away with their divisions and they all are in last place.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree with how the FO filled in gaping holes in the lineup during the winter by overpaying for short term free agents and maintaining a decent enough product on the field to continue drawing 30,000 fans per game and keep TV and radio ratings decent. I agree with Ben on not trading any prospects or losing any draft picks.

Wow! You got this far talking only baseball. This is a huge step for you. Congrats!

Many on the forum finally admitted after a winter of discontent ( playing armchair GM) , including Moonslav, that they are surprised at how well Ben has done over the winter.

You misquoted me, again.

Refer to the Notin thread titled "2013 Off Season Rebuttal" where many forum regular wiped the egg off of their faces, ate crow,  and admitted that what they had proposed via FA acquisitions and trades would not have worked out well.

Yes, J Upton, and A Sanchez have been horrible.

Of course, 20-20 hindsight says that signing Hanrahan was a bad move but Ben doesn't have a crystal ball. That won't stop Schumpeter for calling signing him as totally inept. The Drew concussion and resulting slow start are not Ben's fault as well as the current rash of injuries.

So, Ben had a nice crystal ball with Shane, and others, but not with Hanrahan? Nice pick'n'choose.

As I have said before many times, I loved Ben's trade with the Dodgers. I have said he deserves a chance to prove his worth. Many of his players have done well as we near the 1 quarter turn to the season. My criticism of Ben's winter hinged totally on the fact that he did next to nothing to improve our team for 2015 and beyond. I said that so many times, it's hard for me to understand why so many posters don't understand my position. It's OK not to agree with it, but at least try to get it right.

Ben's report card so far:

The JBJ decision: I wanted JBJ to start in AAA until his extra year of team control was established. At that point, he could become our CF'er, unless our OF was doing well. (I wanted Ellsbury traded , but since we had him, I'd have put him in LF and used Nava/Gomes at DH until Papi was ready). The JBJ move was not a success for Ben, but it's hard to say it was a bad move.

Shane: despite the injury- looking good so far. The RF defense has been superb.

Dempster: has pitched well with limited success. Cost was high. Age is high. I'd still rather have signed a younger starter for 3-4 years at the same cost.

Papi: cost was too high, but he has done well so far, although slumping now.

Hanrahan: trading some future chips for 1 year of Hanrahan was a mistake. I said it then, so this is not Monday moring QB'ing or crystal balling.

Drew over Iggy: Jury still out, and Drew has fielded better than I expected, but Iggy was still better defensively, and our staff has looked worse since JBJ and Iggy went down to AAA.

D Ross: Good move so far. I liked this move from the start.

Gomes: much better move than overpaying C Ross. Gomes has a great OBP vs LHPs. This will help as the season progresses.

Nava on the big club. I gareed with this move and said a Nava/Gomes LF platoon may lead the team in OBP. Good move Ben.

Taz in the pen: I wanted Taz to start. We may never know on this one.

Doubront as the 5 man: I wanted him traded as his stock was high. Jury still out.

Our current winning % is higher than I expected it would be by season's end, but the cracks are showing now, and it will be interesting to see if this whole "clubhouse attitude" thing so many posters gushed about will make the difference when times are bad- like right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Correct, and, frankly, this team isn't a title contender and just being a bubble playoff team isn't worth hanging on for.

The following players should go on the summer trade market:

Ellsbury

Dempster (Better places to spend about 20 million)

Napoli (He's back on the market and older, regardless) 

Shane (Dump him on the first GM who will pay most of his freight)

S. Drew (Dump him on the first GM who will pay his remaining freight)

Salty

Gomes is just about worthless on the trade market (stuck with him on the bench)

Carp should be traded for a farm scrap, as Nava makes more sense than Carp

Ortiz should finish out his Red Sox career as a 100 to 110 game part-time player. He has no trade market, stand alone.

The Red Sox need to develop two OF'ers and two starting pitchers from the farm, by throwing them into the deep end that is MLB. That process should begin this summer. Lester and Buch are a solid duo. The Red Sox need to get better middle of the order slugging and better overall team defense by getting rid of Salty and S. Drew this summer.

Iglesias, Bradley, Brentz, Vazquez, and the top pitching prospects should all get experience this season.  

This is one of your less strident commentaries.  I would keep Napoli at 1B, despite reservations, because the Sox don't have anyone in the wings worth bringing up.  Right now I prefer Drew over Iglesias because he is steadier in the field and at the plate.  Plus Iglesias, whom the Sox are paying $2M a year to play in the minors, is starting to act like a prima donna.   I wouldn't mind seeing Bradley come back up if the Sox are struggling, but I don't think he would be a better value than Nava and don't think Victorino is tradeable in any reasonable way.  So it looks like Ellsbury goes on the block, but then the Sox lose that draft pick this winter.  I wouldn't mind seeing Salty traded if the Sox could get something, and I would like to give Lavarnway or that Vasquez guy a shot.  Disagree about giving Dempster away by paying some of his salary.  Foolish.  I don't agree about going after two starters or bringing up two, not after watching both Doubront and Webster getting clobbered.  Even after today, Dempster is better than either of them. 

Where I agree is there are some good players in the system right now, and a weak Sox team in July would justify given one or more of them a long look. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Jimbo nobody said they didn't like the team. Another twist. Imagine the reward for traiding these guys in July.... especially if they are playing well. 

Part of the reason these players were signed short-term is so they could be traded if necessary. 

That was the one silver lining I agreed with this winter.

I'm not counting us out, but we have to think of that option in July.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Plus Iglesias, whom the Sox are paying $2M a year to play in the minors, is starting to act like a prima donna.

No one paid 2M is a prima donna. Ellsbury is a prima donna, and so is S. Drew. Overrated, overpaid.

He said he was "acting like" one. Do you disagree with that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I ddin't say go outside, I said to invest the time on the players on the farm.

I love this one.

Total meaningless drivel.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Theres no reason to sell anything right now. If those players that could be traded are doing well, that probably means that the team is doing well. Only if were out of it after the ASB sould anything be considered.

Heres a scary thought for some Salty bashers. His offense has been much better this year and is still considered an average catcher by MLB standards, not of those armchair GM's on this board. He stays healthy and works hard. Guys like that will get contracts, especially being only 28yrs old. If he keeps up his pace, he might be offered a QO along with Ells and Drew. Not sure naps would be offered one. If he does well, whats the harm offering him a QO which is about what he could make this year, 13M (slightly higher). Though Im not so high on that idea. Thats 3 possible compensation picks to gain. You look at the teams in need, there position in the 2014 draft, and all the other variables to determine if a QO is a smart move. With Ells and Drew, I think its a pretty safe bet that 2 solid players will get at least a 3-4 years deal worth more than the QO. With Salty, the jury is out until we see his full body of work this year.

If were basically done and really dont have a clear shot at the PO, then Id look to deal all the FA and possibly a couple other guys along with certain prospects depending on the return.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

doing well isn't good enough come July! Firm control of first place is the only accpetable place for this team to retain the roster.

why? It hasnt mattered when we won both WS.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Teams that try to build a winner in, say, 2015, find themselves more often than not suddenly building for 2017.  And then 2019.   It’s not as simple as removing high priced older players and restocking the farm with hope and promises.

However, one would hope the Sox might shed some deals and look toward the future without surrendering 2013, especially if they are “witihin 5 games” of the post-season.   Five games can be made up less than 2 weeks.  Oakland won the AL West last year despite being 5 games out with 9 games to play.

The list of available players is probably best limited to those who can be immediately replaced and who do not have a future in Boston beyond 2014.  I would say Drew and Ellsbury top the list, as Iglesias and Bradley can step in.  It is unlikely takers sending awe-inspring return can be found for each of Drew and Ellsbury,  so chances are slim the Sox would try to contend with both Iglesias and Bradley in the lineup simultaneously, which helps a little since neither has much of an MLB track record for offensive success.  But one of the two probably won’t kill their chances, and they might get back a reasonable prospect who was otherwise unattainable. 

The Sox could probably also move a bullpen arm or two without significantly hurting their chances.  Maybe one of Miller or Breslow or Mortenson could be dealt away, as the Sox still have Aceves and Wilson to fill the spot, although questions remain as to whether or not Aceves has any future in Boston whatsoever.  It is unlikely any of these players brings back a franchise-altering talent, so maybe the Sox hope for a potential useful piece.  Bard is another piece of trade fodder, although the return will likely be minimal as he is a non-tender candidate if he does not turn it around quickly.

Dempster might be added if Webster can take over. Saltalamacchia  could be moved as well, assuming Lavarnway can take over.  Lavarnway is a longshot for actual MLB offense, but Saltalamacchia is not exactly Johnny Bench back there.

If the team has even the longest of longshots, they might as well ride out Napoli, as there is no one on the horizon to take over 1B.  The only other 1B on the 40-man is Mike Carp, and Pawtucket is using career minor league stopgap Brandon Snyder at 1B.  Snyder would represent a complete white flag of Loria-esque proportions.  Deadline deals just don’t get back the high-caliber prospects they used to for late season rental players.   The short deals are actually trade-value killers, as teams seem to value control.  One year of All Star caliber Shin Shoo Choo netted one top 100 prospect plus a lousy outfielder, yet 5 years of the far-inferior Ben Revere netted one top 100 pitching prospect(albeit a far lower ranked one) plus an actual MLB starting pitcher.

Sections
Shortcuts