BurritoT's July forecast......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: BurritoT's July forecast......

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Cafardo said im his mailbag column about a month ago in response to a writer who wanted to trade some of our newly-signed free agents that it was extremely improbable, no teams ever do that. I doubt if Ben would do that.

This isn't poker or fantasy baseball.

To moonslav, when I mentioned Hanrahan's season ending injury and Ben's lack osf a crystal ball, I was referring to the simple fact that injuries can't be predicted and thus a GM can't be held reponsible. What that has to do with signing Shane is ridiculous.

I knew what you meant, but you missed my point all together.

BTW, teams trade recent FA signees at the deadline all the time.  One example off the top of my head is Erik Bedard. He was signed by the M's and traded to the Sox 7 months later.

Oh, another one: Eric Gagne signed by the Rangers and traded 7 months later.

I can now see why you avoid actual baseball posts.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

White Sox 2009 threw in the towel even though they were only 6 games out of first....

I see the Red Sox come July in the thick of the hunt but......

It is apparent to me that everything I said this Spring will come to fruition... and the team needs to commit to 2014-15 for contending.

If this team is not in first place come July 15th, or not within 5 games of the leader then they must, and without reservation, hit the "White Flag" button.

Things look great to me under this scenario as every single one of our elderly over-priced signings from the winter are playing at or above their best abilities.

Don't tell me that if Napoli or Dempster keep up their playing levels that they cannot net some mighty prospects in a package. Elles may not be all that good right now but if healthy just about any contender in need will over-pay for his services. Salty, Victorino, and Drew should all be moved, the better they play all the more reason to trade them. Trade from strength!

I do believe in keeping Lester though, a change for me. Pitching is pitching so the better he performs all the more reason to keep him.

We finally have a manager it appears.

All is well under this plan if only the front office would be bold enough to hit "the button".

**** side note, I hit Spell Check and "Dempster" came up as a misspelling with the only option given as "Dumpster"  HAHHA! Too funny. That aside he has been excellent.

I saw the Red Sox field a AAA team last September.  Correction.  I actually didn't really see much of them last September as I found them unbearable to watch.  

If you want to watch a AAA team, go watch the Pawtucket Red Sox.  I'm certainly not going to renew my monthy mlb.com to watch an occasional Iggy defensive gem in the midst of the team being routed by the Yankees.  I can catch the Iggy highlight later.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

If Drew is what draws you to your tv then you have more issues then you realize. Imagine actually wanting to invest dollars in watching the team because of Drew, Dempster, and Gomes. That is quite sad really.

Not as sad as watching Maoro Gomez and Ciriaco in the starting lineup with Iggy hitting .118 and Lavarnway hitting .157.  While I'm not exactly ga-ga over Dempster, I'll take him over Aaron Cook.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We all have opinions I see, but a team that fields Lester, Buch, Taz, Ortiz, Pedroia, Ross, Middlebrooks, Lackey, and has some exciting players like Iggy, and Bradley is hardly like watching a Triple A team

A-ha...well now what you're saying is we have a bunch of good players.  So why should we throw in the towel early and waste a precious year of those players?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Always find it amazing that arm chair GMs think they know exactly what needs to be done and without any actual information other than what they see on TV or on the internet.

Jr was here and does any one think that maybe the early bad stretch may have hurt him and his confidence? So sure let's bring up all the rookies mentioned and have them sink or swim. Of course then if they failed people would be all over BC for doing just that.

Just because you dislike the current team does not mean the signings were wrong. They were done with a purpose. IMHO that purpose was to keep all the kids. They also signed players with a certain history and they all are living up to that except Gomes. Han and Bailey are both out so I will still wait on them. Dempster, Napoli, Ross and Victorino have all been exactly as their careers have shown.

The other part of the purpose is if and when they are out of the running the guys they will let go should bring decent kids. Then you add them to the current group and you just might have a helluva young team come next year.

Just remember NOTHING is garunteed if it were the Angels, Dodgers and Toronto would be running away with their divisions and they all are in last place.

Well stated. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Pretty good thread started by burritoT.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If this team keeps having White Flag trades and giving up, it severely impacts their chances of retaining players like Pedroia and Lester, neither of whom is easily replaceable.

As it stands now, the only players on the 25 man roster under control beyond next season are Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront, Middlebrooks and Victorino.

Is THAT the foundation this team should be building around?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

If this team keeps having White Flag trades and giving up, it severely impacts their chances of retaining players like Pedroia and Lester, neither of whom is easily replaceable.

As it stands now, the only players on the 25 man roster under control beyond next season are Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront, Middlebrooks and Victorino.

Good point on Lester's desire to extend, if we keep rebooting every year, but some of these guys are gone after this year anyways, so is trading them 2 months early really making a big difference to Lester and others thinking of extending or signing with us?

Others on the 25 man roster still under team control to at least 2015:

Breslow

Tazawa

Carp

Nava

Mortensen

Ciriaco

As to the "core" we have to build around, I think that was the biggest failure of this off season: we really didn't add anyone to the longer term core of this team that is on the upside of their career. Nothing helped us for 2015 and beyond.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Good point on Lester's desire to extend, if we keep rebooting every year, but some of these guys are gone after this year anyways, so is trading them 2 months early really making a big difference to Lester and others thinking of extending or signing with us?

Breslow

Tazawa

Carp

Nava

Mortensen

Ciriaco

As to the "core" we have to build around, I think that was the biggest failure of this off season: we really didn't add anyone to the longer term core of this team that is on the upside of their career. Nothing helped us for 2015 and beyond.

They can still add to that core at the dealine and this offseason. Plus, maybe they wanted to see if we have internal options to build that "core" before we go waste tons of money on an outside option. That was part of what this year was for anyway. Thats why they went with more FA and kept the kids. Ben used a patient approach so he could see what he had instead of thinking he had to do it all in one offseason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Breslow

Tazawa

Carp

Nava

Mortensen

Ciriaco

While i left out sosme of the bench and bullpen mediocrity, the point remains.  Why do fans think we have a better chance in 2015?

Yes, we have some propsects.  So do the Rays, and they have better ones.  They added Wil Myers and Jake Odirizzi to an already-stacked farm system.   A farm system that will probably get better with the inevitable trade of David Price.

And they have actual starters tied up for 2015 and beyond as well.

Do fans really think the Sox can get farm pieces by jettisoning Lackey and Napoli to compete with that in 2 years?  Especially if Lester and Pedroia walk?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Breslow

Tazawa

Carp

Nava

Mortensen

Ciriaco

While i left out sosme of the bench and bullpen mediocrity, the point remains.  Why do fans think we have a better chance in 2015?

Yes, we have some propsects.  So do the Rays, and they have better ones.  They added Wil Myers and Jake Odirizzi to an already-stacked farm system.   A farm system that will probably get better with the inevitable trade of David Price.

And they have actual starters tied up for 2015 and beyond as well.

Do fans really think the Sox can get farm pieces by jettisoning Lackey and Napoli to compete with that in 2 years?  Especially if Lester and Pedroia walk?

I do think we have a better chance in 2015 than this year. We will have much more budget room, and hopefully 2-4 of our kids will be filling roles. We may not get anything for lackey and Naps, but maybe soemthing useful for Naps, Demp, Drew, and others.

I have been praising the Rays outlook for years and loved the Shields move. We should take some lessens from them.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Put the time into the farm talent...

Yes, if Ben just spent more time on the farm, these prospects would get so much better and faster.

Ellsbury (Call Theo & get at least decent prospect with at least on year good minors numbers)

Right now, the draft choice is worth more than the best prospect we can get for Jacoby.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Stooge, you aren't the same giddy mind that I called you when the Red Sox were 20-8.

I have never changed my attitude towards our chances this year.

I was happy when we won. Shoot me for it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The draft choice is not, right now, worth more than the good prospect with at least a year in the minors.

If draft choices could be traded, no GM would trade that draft pick for the low level prospect Ellsbury would net us. (I'm assuming we don't pay a cent of his contract.)

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts