Buster Olney: Allen Webster for ROY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Buster Olney: Allen Webster for ROY

ESPNs "experts" made a list of predictions for the season, and one of the lists were who wins Rookie of The Year, MVP and Cy Young. A few people chose Jackie Bradley Jr for ROY a lot of other people chose Wil Meyers and Jurickson Profar. The thing I was suprised at and thought was pretty cool was Buster Olneys prediction that Allen Webster wins ROY. Thoughts?

Heres the list: http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview13/story/_/page/13expertpicksawards/espn-expert-award-predictions-2013-baseball-season (insider maybe required I'm not sure)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Buster Olney: Allen Webster for ROY

He'd need to make the 40 man roster first.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

none of the above. ROY will be a semi-unknown prospect who bursts onto the scene. Like Trout last season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I read secondhand that ESPN expert Keith Law picked Seattle starter Brandon Maurer to be AL Rookie of the Year.

Earlier on this forum I noted the parallels between Allen Webster and Brandon Maurer: tall righthanders born in 1990, taken in the late rounds of the 2008 draft, with similar minor league stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=webste001car

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=maurer001bra

Maurer, the Double A Southern League's Most Outstanding Pitcher in 2012, surprised many by making the two-level jump to Mariner rotation this spring ahead of highly touted prospects Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen and James Paxton.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Watch for Aaron Hicks, centerfielder for the Twins. Saw a lot of him this ST and he is the real deal; five tools!

Also something bad has to happen to another starter for Webster to get his chance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I read secondhand that ESPN expert Keith Law picked Seattle starter Brandon Maurer to be AL Rookie of the Year.

Earlier on this forum I noted the parallels between Allen Webster and Brandon Maurer: tall righthanders born in 1990, taken in the late rounds of the 2008 draft, with similar minor league stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=webste001car

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=maurer001bra

Maurer, the Double A Southern League's Most Outstanding Pitcher in 2012, surprised many by making the two-level jump to Mariner rotation this spring ahead of highly touted prospects Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen and James Paxton.

Troll so hard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

ESPNs "experts" made a list of predictions for the season, and one of the lists were who wins Rookie of The Year, MVP and Cy Young. A few people chose Jackie Bradley Jr for ROY a lot of other people chose Wil Meyers and Jurickson Profar. The thing I was suprised at and thought was pretty cool was Buster Olneys prediction that Allen Webster wins ROY. Thoughts?

Heres the list: http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview13/story/_/page/13expertpicksawards/espn-expert-award-predictions-2013-baseball-season (insider maybe required I'm not sure)

2013 or 2014?  I'm not sure any of those guys will be in the pros this year.

Webster and Profar are definitely starting off in AAA.  Myers and Bradley will be on the roster due to injuries, with a likelihood of going down when papi and Joyce are healthy.

I'll go with Hicks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

2013 or 2014?  I'm not sure any of those guys will be in the pros this year.

Webster and Profar are definitely starting off in AAA.  Myers and Bradley will be on the roster due to injuries, with a likelihood of going down when papi and Joyce are healthy.

I'll go with Hicks.

Bradley will probably go down when Papi comes back, but his competition for the LF spot is Gomes, so if he kicks butt he's got a good opportunity.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

i think olney believes one of the starters will either get injured or pitch himself out of the rotation.

allen webster will probably get 1st shot at being brought up. 

i'm guessing doubront will pitch himself out of rotation.

Doubront's done well this spring.  ERA around 3 after 5 scoreless today.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Allen Webster will be in the starting rotation by Memorial day !!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I predicted on a thread that Doubront will pitch his way out of the rotation by May.  At that time, I thought Steven Wright would be the guy to take his place, and win 12 games.  That was early in ST.  now, if I had to guess, it would be Webster, not Wright, who replaces the starter who prives ineffective or gets injured.  And I still believe that will be Doubront.  His innings pitched in 2012 was such an increase over 2011 that he is an injury waiting to happen.  Olney went out on a limb, but it shows he follows baseball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

I predicted on a thread that Doubront will pitch his way out of the rotation by May.  At that time, I thought Steven Wright would be the guy to take his place, and win 12 games.  That was early in ST.  now, if I had to guess, it would be Webster, not Wright, who replaces the starter who prives ineffective or gets injured.  And I still believe that will be Doubront.  His innings pitched in 2012 was such an increase over 2011 that he is an injury waiting to happen.  Olney went out on a limb, but it shows he follows baseball.

Yeah, Webster will get the call which will completely set of Aceves causing him to be traded or his outright release.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ok

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Funny thing you bring up Hicks, since I live a couple of miles from where the Rockcats play. Good player hope he makes ROY.
    My predicition and will stand by it Profar will be the best SS in baseball by the time he hits 26 years old.

He still needs a starting gig.  Webster only neds one out of five to go down, Profar needs 1 of 2.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

i think olney believes one of the starters will either get injured or pitch himself out of the rotation.

allen webster will probably get 1st shot at being brought up. 

i'm guessing doubront will pitch himself out of rotation.

"doubront will pitch himself out of the rotation"

A lot of teams asked about him this past winter.

He has a bright future.

If anyone pitches himself out of the rotation look for either Dempster or Lackey.