Buster Posey injured,agent wants rule change (updated)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Buster Posey injured,agent wants rule change (updated)

Last night San Francisco's catcher Buster Posey was hurt in a collision at the plate.His agent is asking MLB to change the rules to avoid these types of injuries.Do you agree with the agent or do you think the rules should remain the same?Here's the article from ESPN.com along with the video of the collision: 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6592212

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

Re: Buster Posey injured,agent wants rule change

I do feel for posey but I thought it was a clean play. 

Baseball has been doing this for over a century, his agent needs to quit his whining.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Babe,it's not often that I agree with you,but you hit the nail on the head.It was a good,hard clean play.If a catcher is going to block the plate,he puts himself at risk of being run into.Although like you,I feel badly for Posey and wish he didn't get injured,it's part of the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Pretty much, baseball is a sport, injuries are going to happen in sports, the agent can just deal with it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If catchers and their agents want to protect their poor little bodies and their contract value, then they can get off the plate and daintily move to the side and apply little sweep tags or whatever.  But as long as the catcher is gonna put his body in the baseline in front of the plate, runners are gonna plow 'em.  Thats the way it was, the way it is, and the way it should be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

agreed space. change the rule to what exactly? either you position yourself according and block the plate or step aside; hope the runner misses the plate and prance over and tag him. it's part of the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

That being said, I hope my fellow Seminole Buster P. gets well soon.

Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Baseball players are the biggest wusses in pro sports as it is, let's not make it even wussier.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Rose took a lot of heat for ending Ray Fosse;s career.
    I have mixed feeling on this. Certainly if the catcher has the ball before the runner reaches the plate a collision should be avoided and it's the runner's responsibility to avoid the tag, not try to cream the catcher.
    On the other hand, if the ball and runner arrive at the same time then anything goes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

All I can say is, it's another example of why catching is so hard on the body, and why there are so few good all-around players at the position.  You almost have to be a masochist to want to play there. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I hope the first pitch of the SF/FLA game today finds it way directly between 2 should blades.  Cousins, the guy who hit Posey, isn't a regular starter, but the next time he faces SF he should expect one in his ear.   

I thought Cousins went a little out of his way to make sure he really creamed Posey, but as far as a rule change, no way that is baseball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Buster Posey injured,agent wants rule change:
    [QUOTE]I hope the first pitch of the SF/FLA game today finds it way directly between 2 should blades.  Cousins, the guy who hit Posey, isn't a regular starter, but the next time he faces SF he should expect one in his ear.    I thought Cousins went a little out of his way to make sure he really creamed Posey, but as far as a rule change, no way that is baseball.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all counts.  Old Skool.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the--yazzer. Show the--yazzer's posts

maybe when a potential collision at the plate seems eminent, a stunt catcher is brought in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Buster Posey injured,agent wants rule change:
    [QUOTE]maybe when a potential collision at the plate seems eminent, a stunt catcher is brought in.
    Posted by the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

equipped with bionics.  That would turn the tables.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Buster Posey injured,agent wants rule change (updated)

From  ESPN.com:

San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey has a broken bone in his left ankle, a source close to the situation told CSNBayArea.com on Thursday.

Posey was injured in a 12th-inning collision at home plate with the Marlins' Scott Cousins, who was scored the winning run on the play in Florida's 7-6 win.

"It's way serious," the source told CSNBayArea.com, adding that S-rays taken after the play revealed the fracture, according to the report.

An MRI was scheduled for Thursday, at which time the Giants said they would discuss the results.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Interesting takes. Let me start by saying that Buster's agent sounds like whiner but let's but that to one side for now.

Baseball is a funny sport. While the NFL is constantly tweaking everything change in baseball is greeted with cries of "no way, it has been this way forever!"

For the most part modern players have self policed this very dangerous play and runners don't blow up defenseless catchers and catchers don't use full body blocks of the plate.

But when it happens the results can be just like they were last night. Turns out to be a pretty bad injury too. Broken leg and torn ligaments.

Personally I don't think it ruins the game if the runners right to proceed through home plate was the same as it is at any other base. It would still allow for more nuanced blocking of the plate  (foot placement) that defenders apply at 2nd and 3rd. It would protect the runner and the catcher and take the safety issue away from self policing and wouldn't alter the game adversely in a measurable way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from the--yazzer. Show the--yazzer's posts

gee, if they make baseball any "NANCIER" even DREW could play every day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's simple.

Catchers aren't supposed to be blocking the plate until they have the ball or are about to catch it.

If they have the ball (or are about to catch it) and they are in front of the plate -- especially if they're in front where even if the runner slides, he might not reach the plate -- then either way, he's going to get run over.

If the catcher doesn't want to get run over, stay out of the baseline.

If the catcher is straddling the plate like a fielder and isn't in front of it, then the player shouldn't be allowed to run over the catcher.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I've questioned this kind of play since the Rose, Fosse collision. Although that was a bit different, it was an allstar game and completely unnecessary. I took an immediate dislike for Pete Rose on that play.
    With the ball arriving from one direction and the runner coming from another direction, the catcher can be completely defenseless. If a catcher is in the baseline while waiting to catch the incoming throw, then I believe it should be called interference. If he has to move into the base path to field the throw, then it should be up to the umpires as to whether or not it's interference, and who was guilty of interference, the runner or the catcher. If the runner alters his approach to home plate in order to ram the catcher, then he should be ejected and fined and even suspended if it's deemed intentional.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Buster Posey injured,agent wants rule change (updated):
    [QUOTE]It's simple. Catchers aren't supposed to be blocking the plate until they have the ball or are about to catch it. If they have the ball (or are about to catch it) and they are in front of the plate -- especially if they're in front where even if the runner slides, he might not reach the plate -- then either way, he's going to get run over. If the catcher doesn't want to get run over, stay out of the baseline. If the catcher is straddling the plate like a fielder and isn't in front of it, then the player shouldn't be allowed to run over the catcher.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]Honestly it is just me probably but I have always questioned why the defender can block home but no other base. Yeah, I know it is because the runner can't advance beyond home but in that logic it would not be absurd to suggest that the force play would no longer be in effect either.

It doesn't happen often enough where guys get real hurt for MLB to address the issue but on the other hand it would not alter the game negatively if the catcher was not allowed to block the advancing runner with his body by taking away the entire path to the plate.

And once a generation it would avoid a career from being wipeout on a play of minor consequence. Just me, but I don't see that as a negative change. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buster Posey injured,agent wants rule change (updated) : Honestly it is just me probably but I have always questioned why the defender can block home but no other base. Yeah, I know it is because the runner can't advance beyond home but in that logic it would not be absurd to suggest that the force play would no longer be in effect either. It doesn't happen often enough where guys get real hurt for MLB to address the issue but on the other hand it would not alter the game negatively if the catcher was not allowed to block the advancing runner with his body by taking away the entire path to the plate. And once a generation it would avoid a career from being wipeout on a play of minor consequence. Just me, but I don't see that as a negative change. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they did make that change. I don't mind the rule the way it is, but if they changed it like you suggest, it wouldn't bother me.

If they allow the catcher to block the plate, the runner gets to try to run him over. If they want to prevent potential injuries, then the catcher needs to straddle the plate or stay out of the baseline. 

I'd like to know what catchers think.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buster Posey injured,agent wants rule change (updated) : Honestly, I wouldn't care if they did make that change. I don't mind the rule the way it is, but if they changed it like you suggest, it wouldn't bother me. If they allow the catcher to block the plate, the runner gets to try to run him over. If they want to prevent potential injuries, then the catcher needs to straddle the plate or stay out of the baseline.  I'd like to know what catchers think.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]No doubt the catcher makes himself fair game once he gives the runner no route the plate and that is what creates the danger.

I think Rose caught so much heat because it was an exhibition game but to Rose there was not any situation where he wasn't going all out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's the video clip of Rose/Fosse.IMHO,Rose was in the right.Fosse was way up the line and blocking the basepath.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13099647

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from the--yazzer. Show the--yazzer's posts

perhaps ROSE would have been in the right if it had happened during a meaningful game; however, being that it was a meaningless all-star game, ROSE was WRONG.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

Should they change the rule for guys going into 2nd to break up a double play, cause get hurt on that play too?