But, but .... I thought we wanted the kids. I also thought we loved our Dirt Dogs ....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

But, but .... I thought we wanted the kids. I also thought we loved our Dirt Dogs ....

Uncomfortable season, no doubt.

But what were so many of you calling for last season, over and over again ... LET THE KIDS PLAY.

And we are doing that.  

And we are planning to do more.  We let Salty go because we have several catching prospects that make  us think we have  a bright future behind the dish.  

The FO said we would do that ... We should be dancing in the streets.  Heck, we are the WS champs - allow me to add the full weight of of that WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.  Not almost.  Not come up short again.  Not even three seasons past or seven or ten.  We ARE the World Series Champions.

So back to dancing   ... with the kids.

We're punchless.  Papi is slow to warm up.  Bid deal.  He will hit his stride.  Nap has been out for a bit, Pedey hurt his hand. Clay is struggling.  Most of the pitching is good.  

The key players of that platooned so well are having tough times so far.

Hmm.

Workman was excellent.  Rubby was too, first time out.  But human the other two.  

Nothing really a plus here, but don't we owe the champs time to work through issues?  We recognized that everything fell into place last year.  Our posting doubters all last season had so many opportunites last season and yet lo and behold, we won!  Our posting doubters are having a great time now wallowing in misery.  

And we are  - 86 years since our last WS  crown.  So I understand.  Oh, wait.  It's been three seasons - or four -since we .... uh,

Hmmmm

I thought we loved wild eyed spark maker Gomes, MR OnBase Nava, Surprise Supersub Carp ...

I could go on. 

I have my doubts as to playoffs this year.  But we can't always have our luck fall into place.

We all knew Ells was leaving.

I had  a few minutes between work and class.

4 4 11    ....   figure it out.  

Hint, 3 4 10.

Go SOX!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Re: But, but .... I thought we wanted the kids. I also thought we loved our Dirt Dogs ....

Huh?

Papi is slow to get to first base, among other things. Pedey is trying to pull everything. Naps is Naps, which is OK. Gomes is past his sell date.

Yes. Play the kids. Enjoy their efforts. And don't give any more two-year contracts to Ortiz.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: But, but .... I thought we wanted the kids. I also thought we loved our Dirt Dogs ....

I had no high expectations for 2014. I wanted them to play all the kids that were ready and also give a number of other prospects a COC this year so we can evaluate what we have in the upper minors. Lots of $$$ coming off the books. 78m owed in 2015 and only 30m owed in 2016. 

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two or three forward. Last year the baseball gods were on our side. This year, not so much. Nobody likes losing, but sometimes Thats baseball kids.  Some Players arent performing up to expectations for whatever reason. Young players are having the expected struggles. It looked more and more like a "bridge" year from where I was sitting at the start of the season. It was time to evaluate all the talent we have in the upper minors this year, let a few contracts run out as well as maybe resign a player or two at years end.

I dont like this anymore than the next guy. But if they do end up out of the race, its going to be fun watching all the kids play at the MLB level and maybe even play spoiler to a couple contenders.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But if they do end up out of the race, its going to be fun watching all the kids play at the MLB level

P. T. Barnum Never Did Say
    "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"

but he never knew so many would so happy 2 pay the highest prices to watch ''all the kids''

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Why?

Is there something we can do about how lousy they're playing?

There's plenty of complaining here. But, doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If 2014 happened in Farrell's first year, there would be no surprises and we'd all be not expecting much. Many of us thought 2014 was going to happen after 2012. 2013 was an amazing, ridiculous anomaly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Love the post SY.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But if they do end up out of the race, its going to be fun watching all the kids play at the MLB level

P. T. Barnum Never Did Say
    "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"

but he never knew so many would so happy 2 pay the highest prices to watch ''all the kids''

[/QUOTE]

at least they didnt price some of the tix so high that there is a glaring empty ring of seats behind homeplate for a $200MM+ team.  know what i mean???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

We love the kids as long as they're new and exciting, and as long as they experience immediate success and we aren't required to watch them grow on the job or deal with any sort of adversity.

See the reactions to Bradley, Middlebrooks (who is almost completely written off despite 34 HR and 112 RBI in little more than a full season in the majors, broken up by injuries), and even Bogaerts at times (especially defensively)...and contrast that to the many calls for Mookie Betts to skip Triple-A entirely, and for everyone from Shaw to Marrero and just about anyone else in AA/AAA who is any good to be brought up to the major league roster.

Kind of amazing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The great thing is that we are the only team that has " kids ."   The other teams are completely devoid of prospects. And when we hear the names of our " kids " over and over again on here, we start to think that they must be really good.

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Let the kids play!!!! DON'T LET THE KIDS PLAY!!!! SELL LOW, bring up more rookies!!! if they can't play SELL LOW!!!! BUY HIGH!!! The only rookie is the one who succeeds right away.  There is NO learning curve, everyone adjust exactly the same, it is all linear, struggling youngsters are garbage who need to be moved now!!!! 

SELL SELL SELL SELL.  Then bring up some more rookies!!!!

WHo did we draft this year??? no need to stick them in the minors for 5 years lets see what they have RIGHT now.  If they can't cut it, why waste 6 years of development!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I fought everyone in here about having Mookie skip AAA.  First off, I'm probably the biggest prospect homer in here who thinks they will all be future MVPs, but I was one of the only dissenting voices calling for restraint. 

I do think he is on the fast track to the majors and will be a star, my only concern was that such a drastic jump would cause him to struggle right away.  In turn, it could start his arby clock, cause us to lose a player on the 40 man, and initially he would be of NO help to the team.

Well...after a few weeks Mookie is batting about .250 in Pawtucket.  Does anyone think it would be better instead of worse if he made the larger jump?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I fought everyone in here about having Mookie skip AAA.  First off, I'm probably the biggest prospect homer in here who thinks they will all be future MVPs, but I was one of the only dissenting voices calling for restraint. 

I do think he is on the fast track to the majors and will be a star, my only concern was that such a drastic jump would cause him to struggle right away.  In turn, it could start his arby clock, cause us to lose a player on the 40 man, and initially he would be of NO help to the team.

Well...after a few weeks Mookie is batting about .250 in Pawtucket.  Does anyone think it would be better instead of worse if he made the larger jump?

Worse, Hugh, the biggest jump in from AAA, to the BIGS. We've seen it over and over, again. They tear it up in AAA, then struggle when brought up, mostly from facing premuim pitching. Leave him there, for now

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Give him a peak in September.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

let's get rid of them and let them learn elsewhere (or better yet - not even bother drafting good prospects).  then we can simply overpay $$$$ them when they hit FA.  oh wait....nevermind....that is another AL East teams business model.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

let's get rid of them and let them learn elsewhere (or better yet - not even bother drafting good prospects).  then we can simply overpay $$$$ them when they hit FA.  oh wait....nevermind....that is another AL East teams business model.

[/QUOTE]

And a N.L. West now too. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That's right, we only want guaranteed, proven MLB talent!

And if that proven MLB talent has a bad year, we'll rip the FO for not knowing it would happen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And if that proven MLB talent has a bad year, we'll rip the FO for not knowing it would happen.

[/QUOTE]

HAHA!!!!  Hit the nail right on the head!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]    It is their job to evaluate talent. They are being highly paid to do that. They can rightly be ripped when they fail. And praised when they succeed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]    It is their job to evaluate talent. They are being highly paid to do that. They can rightly be ripped when they fail. And praised when they succeed.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

So, you think there's a way to guarantee a player performance from year to year?

You can pay the folk in charge twice what they are getting now and that's still not going to happen.

Based on their record, since the current ownership took over, they've done about as good a job as any FO in the league.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

this is at the crux of the difference of understanding.  Yes, the FO can make huge mistakes in evaluating talent and assigning value to it (Carl Crawford anyone?).  But, baseball is, of all the major sports, by far, the most fickle.  Guys who were monsters one year are meh the next (Chris Davis).  Sometimes guys that hit 30 HRs one year never approach that again (Ellsbury).  Guys that do it year in and year out are at a premium because it is a rare commodity.  Fluctuations in performance are a given.  Its not the NBA where Kevin Durant is going to average 30 until sometimes in the distant future when his knees go.  The gamble is much, much greater in baseball, and FOs have to assign value accordingly, especially with guaranteed contracts.  The Sox of the young Cherrington era have been less inclined to go long on that gamble, but that is partly because there havent been clear cut gambles worth the risk.  So, they have hedged bets.  It worked out beautifully last year.  And, by running the kids out this year, the future looks bright.  The present, of course, is troubling.  they could use a big $$$ bat in the line-up, no doubt.  But the talent evaluation always has to be taken in context.  And that context is often missing when people rip the FO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

this is at the crux of the difference of understanding.  Yes, the FO can make huge mistakes in evaluating talent and assigning value to it (Carl Crawford anyone?).  But, baseball is, of all the major sports, by far, the most fickle.  Guys who were monsters one year are meh the next (Chris Davis).  Sometimes guys that hit 30 HRs one year never approach that again (Ellsbury).  Guys that do it year in and year out are at a premium because it is a rare commodity.  Fluctuations in performance are a given.  Its not the NBA where Kevin Durant is going to average 30 until sometimes in the distant future when his knees go.  The gamble is much, much greater in baseball, and FOs have to assign value accordingly, especially with guaranteed contracts.  The Sox of the young Cherrington era have been less inclined to go long on that gamble, but that is partly because there havent been clear cut gambles worth the risk.  So, they have hedged bets.  It worked out beautifully last year.  And, by running the kids out this year, the future looks bright.  The present, of course, is troubling.  they could use a big $$$ bat in the line-up, no doubt.  But the talent evaluation always has to be taken in context.  And that context is often missing when people rip the FO.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  It worked last year, it isn't this year.  It will work again. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I had no high expectations for 2014. I wanted them to play all the kids that were ready and also give a number of other prospects a COC this year so we can evaluate what we have in the upper minors. Lots of $$$ coming off the books. 78m owed in 2015 and only 30m owed in 2016. 

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two or three forward. Last year the baseball gods were on our side. This year, not so much. Nobody likes losing, but sometimes Thats baseball kids.  Some Players arent performing up to expectations for whatever reason. Young players are having the expected struggles. It looked more and more like a "bridge" year from where I was sitting at the start of the season. It was time to evaluate all the talent we have in the upper minors this year, let a few contracts run out as well as maybe resign a player or two at years end.

I dont like this anymore than the next guy. But if they do end up out of the race, its going to be fun watching all the kids play at the MLB level and maybe even play spoiler to a couple contenders.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I still think - as I always do - that things can turn around.  But I have a sneaking suspicion that you are on the right track.  

I also think that playing the kids is a great option as an organization.  We stocked up on them - for what reason(s)?  One is surely that they will become members of the big club and perform well.  The other is to become valid trading chips.  I can't help but shudder when I say that, but I realize it's true.  (Once a thing is MINE I don't like giving it up, even if it doesn't appear useful.)

JBJ has hit on every level and he shows some flashes of that even now.  He set the table for himself. He pushed up so fast that all of us took great note.  Now, he has to grow into those shoes.

Nava has been responding much better since they sent him down.  I am so happy to see that. (I really hope he proves his detractors wrong AGAIN!)  Nap is back in the line up and that has helped.  If the other batters ease up, seeing some production elsewhere in the line up, I think they may play more like last season.  

Frail Clay is just that.  Capable of doing some great things but always on the edge of the DL.  I feel for him.  If someone could help him like someone helped the oft-injured Nolan Ryan .... I realize they are different issues altogether but still once they got Nolan's fingers to stop tearing up,  history was made.

We've missed Victorino.  

We're moving Mookie Betts up fast ... and Holt has been stellar.  

I think we (fans and team) should be allowed a huge sigh of relief recovering from 2012 with a WS crown.  Whew ... maybe not quite as hungry.  Maybe more happy just to be playing and not being seen as some scat to be discarded.  Well, this paragraph doesn't need to be said.  I prefer winning.  Obviously.  But I am glad we have these champs in our dug out.  

BTW, on break from classes and also on a short vacation - so some time available to post.  Still have the two jobs otherwise, but not having to study gives me a little time back. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

Love the post SY.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thanks Slash.

Love to win.  But love to see the chess match going on.  Players NOW for Big Bucks and/or our players already (some pretty big bucks) and the farm fresh hope of new guys.  Unlike chess, though, which had pieces that move the same no matter what ( a rook can't have a bad day and move diagonally...) human players have their ups and downs.  So, I love the team, no mattah.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We love the kids as long as they're new and exciting, and as long as they experience immediate success and we aren't required to watch them grow on the job or deal with any sort of adversity.

See the reactions to Bradley, Middlebrooks (who is almost completely written off despite 34 HR and 112 RBI in little more than a full season in the majors, broken up by injuries), and even Bogaerts at times (especially defensively)...and contrast that to the many calls for Mookie Betts to skip Triple-A entirely, and for everyone from Shaw to Marrero and just about anyone else in AA/AAA who is any good to be brought up to the major league roster.

Kind of amazing.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The sea is restless, my friend.  And so are some fans.  The tidal push always ebbs and flows, as does the patience and excitement of fan bases.  Give JBJ a Pedey style chance and we may have another top gun.  As a kid, I was always excited about the new model year cars.  It didn't take long for most of them to become forgettable.  Even the one I had.  But it still took me on dates, work, sports and school.  Heck, even to church.  Heh.  

You're right, pretty amazing.

And we are pretty fortunate.  I hear the talking heads speak about KC year after exciting year.  All their prospects, all the promise ... whew!!!

We have prospects AND the crown.