But, but .... I thought we wanted the kids. I also thought we loved our Dirt Dogs ....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: But, but .... I thought we wanted the kids. I also thought we loved our Dirt Dogs ....

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

let's get rid of them and let them learn elsewhere (or better yet - not even bother drafting good prospects).  then we can simply overpay $$$$ them when they hit FA.  oh wait....nevermind....that is another AL East teams business model.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That's right, we only want guaranteed, proven MLB talent!

And if that proven MLB talent has a bad year, we'll rip the FO for not knowing it would happen.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And we want them young, cheap, humble, clean cut unless they are making a point for the team, just a little wild but never to say anything offensive - or ever kick a can or throw anything at a fan ... and still never fail. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: But, but .... I thought we wanted the kids. I also thought we loved our Dirt Dogs ....

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

let's get rid of them and let them learn elsewhere (or better yet - not even bother drafting good prospects).  then we can simply overpay $$$$ them when they hit FA.  oh wait....nevermind....that is another AL East teams business model.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And if that proven MLB talent has a bad year, we'll rip the FO for not knowing it would happen.

[/QUOTE]

HAHA!!!!  Hit the nail right on the head!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]    It is their job to evaluate talent. They are being highly paid to do that. They can rightly be ripped when they fail. And praised when they succeed.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

this is at the crux of the difference of understanding.  Yes, the FO can make huge mistakes in evaluating talent and assigning value to it (Carl Crawford anyone?).  But, baseball is, of all the major sports, by far, the most fickle.  Guys who were monsters one year are meh the next (Chris Davis).  Sometimes guys that hit 30 HRs one year never approach that again (Ellsbury).  Guys that do it year in and year out are at a premium because it is a rare commodity.  Fluctuations in performance are a given.  Its not the NBA where Kevin Durant is going to average 30 until sometimes in the distant future when his knees go.  The gamble is much, much greater in baseball, and FOs have to assign value accordingly, especially with guaranteed contracts.  The Sox of the young Cherrington era have been less inclined to go long on that gamble, but that is partly because there havent been clear cut gambles worth the risk.  So, they have hedged bets.  It worked out beautifully last year.  And, by running the kids out this year, the future looks bright.  The present, of course, is troubling.  they could use a big $$$ bat in the line-up, no doubt.  But the talent evaluation always has to be taken in context.  And that context is often missing when people rip the FO.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Superbly put, Spaceman.  Superbly put.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

HAHA!!!!  Hit the nail right on the head!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]    It is their job to evaluate talent. They are being highly paid to do that. They can rightly be ripped when they fail. And praised when they succeed.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

But - they just SUCCEEDED IN THE BASEBALL ULTIMATE - and are only getting ripped by those who rip, come cellar or stellar.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let the kids play!!!! DON'T LET THE KIDS PLAY!!!! SELL LOW, bring up more rookies!!! if they can't play SELL LOW!!!! BUY HIGH!!! The only rookie is the one who succeeds right away.  There is NO learning curve, everyone adjust exactly the same, it is all linear, struggling youngsters are garbage who need to be moved now!!!! 

SELL SELL SELL SELL.  Then bring up some more rookies!!!!

WHo did we draft this year??? no need to stick them in the minors for 5 years lets see what they have RIGHT now.  If they can't cut it, why waste 6 years of development!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Do I sense a touch of frustration with some of our restless brothers and sisters, Hugh?  LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And we want them young, cheap, humble, clean cut unless they are making a point for the team, just a little wild but never to say anything offensive - or ever kick a can or throw anything at a fan ... and still never fail. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Exactly!

That's not asking for much, is it?

Hope you're doing well, SY.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Exactly!

That's not asking for much, is it?

Hope you're doing well, SY.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

LOL - no, not too much at all.

Thanks 4Bs, doing well.  Only complaint is too busy to watch as many Sox games as I want.  But I can tell you that is a good thing.  Even if I really miss my Sox. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

this is one of the best threads in awhile.  no politics, no trolling, no flaming.

@ SY - you need to DVR the games so you can watch them in a compacted amount of time.  i usually start watching the 7pm start @ 9:30 ish.  and with FF the commercials, pitching changes, meetings on the mound, etc i am usually thru the game in an hour and a half.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Uncomfortable season, no doubt.

But but .... They should at least be able to hit a baseball. ENOUGH SAID !!!

But what were so many of you calling for last season, over and over again ... LET THE KIDS PLAY.

And we are doing that.  

And we are planning to do more.  We let Salty go because we have several catching prospects that make  us think we have  a bright future behind the dish.  

The FO said we would do that ... We should be dancing in the streets.  Heck, we are the WS champs - allow me to add the full weight of of that WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.  Not almost.  Not come up short again.  Not even three seasons past or seven or ten.  We ARE the World Series Champions.

So back to dancing   ... with the kids.

We're punchless.  Papi is slow to warm up.  Bid deal.  He will hit his stride.  Nap has been out for a bit, Pedey hurt his hand. Clay is struggling.  Most of the pitching is good.  

The key players of that platooned so well are having tough times so far.

Hmm.

Workman was excellent.  Rubby was too, first time out.  But human the other two.  

Nothing really a plus here, but don't we owe the champs time to work through issues?  We recognized that everything fell into place last year.  Our posting doubters all last season had so many opportunites last season and yet lo and behold, we won!  Our posting doubters are having a great time now wallowing in misery.  

And we are  - 86 years since our last WS  crown.  So I understand.  Oh, wait.  It's been three seasons - or four -since we .... uh,

Hmmmm

I thought we loved wild eyed spark maker Gomes, MR OnBase Nava, Surprise Supersub Carp ...

I could go on. 

I have my doubts as to playoffs this year.  But we can't always have our luck fall into place.

We all knew Ells was leaving.

I had  a few minutes between work and class.

4 4 11    ....   figure it out.  

Hint, 3 4 10.

Go SOX!

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts