But they put on a suicide squeeze

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

But they put on a suicide squeeze

How could the Sox lose last night?  They put on a suicide squeeze.  Not just a bunt, not just a squeeze, but a suicide squeeze.

As the Tito haters would have us believe, a suicide squeeze automatically works.  Everytime.  All Tito had to do was call it.  Just stop sitting and spitting and call the suicide squeeze.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that with a man on third and less than 2 outs, they don't automatically count the run and just call the batter out (sort of like the infield fly rule).

I'm shocked that the suicide squeeze didn't work.  And the guy that was supposed to lay it down didn't come up through the Red Sox Farm System, so that aspect of the excuse is taken away.

Nice defensive play by Scutoro in the first.  Without his diving stop, KC scores a run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: But they put on a suicide squeeze

Exactly.  Of course, the criticism is that Francona failed to call time out and personally brief both Scutaro and Reddick about what he wanted to do.  That he would also have telegraphed the squeeze to the Royals is irrelevant. 

Georom, bosox1941, and a few others have two simple rules.  1.  Every failure or mistake is the manager's fault and his alone.  2. When in doubt about what happened, refer to rule #1. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

They so rarely play any "little ball" that it shouldn't come as a surprise that they botched this one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Little ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.  This team wins--best record in the AL and second best in MLB--because of the hitting, and the hitting works because, most days, Francona eschews "small ball."  He used it this time because of the score and the inning and the guy at bat and the man on third with one out.  Funny thing that the rookie Reddick got the sign but the veteran Scutaro did not.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: But they put on a suicide squeeze:
    Little ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.  This team wins--best record in the AL and second best in MLB--because of the hitting, and the hitting works because, most days, Francona eschews "small ball."  He used it this time because of the score and the inning and the guy at bat and the man on third with one out.  Funny thing that the rookie Reddick got the sign but the veteran Scutaro did not.   
    Posted by maxbialystock

Max, hope you don't mind.  This is my BDC quote of the year thus far and I have made it my signature.  No disrespect intended.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Scutaro wasn't getting his bat on that ball for the squeeze anyays.  Sure he missed the sign, but the pitch was inside tight and low.  After that Francona probably shied away from using it again.

The game was lost in many ways besides that.  The supposed best offense in the MLB should have been able to put the game away without the small ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to But they put on a suicide squeeze:
    How could the Sox lose last night?  They put on a suicide squeeze.  Not just a bunt, not just a squeeze, but a suicide squeeze. As the Tito haters would have us believe, a suicide squeeze automatically works.  Everytime.  All Tito had to do was call it.  Just stop sitting and spitting and call the suicide squeeze. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that with a man on third and less than 2 outs, they don't automatically count the run and just call the batter out (sort of like the infield fly rule). I'm shocked that the suicide squeeze didn't work.  And the guy that was supposed to lay it down didn't come up through the Red Sox Farm System, so that aspect of the excuse is taken away. Nice defensive play by Scutoro in the first.  Without his diving stop, KC scores a run.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

LOL... He had 3 different opportunities last night surely one of them would have worked better then what he usually does!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

then = than

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Scutaro wasn't getting his bat on that ball for the squeeze anyays.  Sure he missed the sign, but the pitch was inside tight and low.  After that Francona probably shied away from using it again. The game was lost in many ways besides that.  The supposed best offense in the MLB should have been able to put the game away without the small ball.
    Posted by chuchos

WRONG !! He should have done it in the 9th with Crawford and there would never had been a "Botched" Squeeze attempt by Scutaro. A "Suicide" Squeeze wasn't Needed then and wasn't needed later when a "Safety" Squeeze would have worked just fine... Especially when Ellsbury was on third later in the game !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

then = than
    Posted by Your-Echo

Thank You for the correction !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

They so rarely play any "little ball" that it shouldn't come as a surprise that they botched this one.
    Posted by trouts

There is an old baseball saying 'that the team that tries to score one run, that is usually all they get'. I'm going to go really old-time, but back in my youth Gene Mauch was considered to be a great manager who would bunt a man over in the first inning, which never made any sense then, and doesn't make any sense now. I read somewhere that many times the team that wins the game will score more runs in an inning than the losing team will score in the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

In Response to Re: But they put on a suicide squeeze : WRONG !! He should have done it in the 9th with Crawford and there would never had been a "Botched" Squeeze attempt by Scutaro. A "Suicide" Squeeze wasn't Needed then and wasn't needed later when a "Safety" Squeeze would have worked just fine... Especially when Ellsbury was on third later in the game !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

...and if Crawford had hit the cutoff man....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: But they put on a suicide squeeze :  Max, hope you don't mind.  This is my BDC quote of the year thus far and I have made it my signature.  No disrespect intended.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

It's a steal from a Bostonian (and leader of the transcendental movement), Ralph Waldo Emerson, who actually said, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."  You are welcome to it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

How could the Sox lose last night?  They put on a suicide squeeze.  Not just a bunt, not just a squeeze, but a suicide squeeze. As the Tito haters would have us believe, a suicide squeeze automatically works.  Everytime.  All Tito had to do was call it.  Just stop sitting and spitting and call the suicide squeeze. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that with a man on third and less than 2 outs, they don't automatically count the run and just call the batter out (sort of like the infield fly rule). I'm shocked that the suicide squeeze didn't work.  And the guy that was supposed to lay it down didn't come up through the Red Sox Farm System, so that aspect of the excuse is taken away. Nice defensive play by Scutoro in the first.  Without his diving stop, KC scores a run.
    POOR EXECUTION FOR SURE..... ALOT LIKE THE "BIG O" AND HIS ILLFATED MOVES !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

16-4 in July.  not too shabby.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

LOL...  and Yet it worked out for KC and it didn't have to be a "Suicide" Squeeze when a "Safety" Squeeze was all that was needed. That is Exactly the reason why Tito gets bashed because, Apparently, he don't even know the difference between the two !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

What worked for KC, the bunt sac. that Gonzo rushed in on that was popped up over his head? Wasn't that just pure luck? Were you watching the same game that I was?
    How do you know that a safety squeeze would have worked? Does your crystal ball say that Scutaro would have made contact?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

What worked for KC, the bunt sac. that Gonzo rushed in on that was popped up over his head? Wasn't that just pure luck? Were you watching the same game that I was? How do you know that a safety squeeze would have worked? Does your crystal ball say that Scutaro would have made contact?
    Posted by Your-Echo

Like I said earlier, It Worked for KC didn't it ?? Echo... It's called a "Safety" Squeeze EXACTLY for that reason !! If Scutaro misses the sign, there is a pitch out, a pick off attempt, a fly ball, or any of a dozen other things that may go wrong THE RUNNER AT THIRD HAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSESS THE SITUATION. So Knowing this do you think KC was just lucky ?? One last thing I will admit to, Yes Maybe I did give Scutaro to much credit for actually being able to bunt but, I am an optimist !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I think the point about a safety squeeze is that the runner doesn't take off until the ball is put into play.  If it doesn't work, it's usually because the bunt is unsuccessful and the runner holds or the bunt is simply not a good bunt (bunted too hard to the pitcher, e.g.).  So generally, no harm done.  There have been many times when I would have liked to have seen a safety squeeze attempted by our guys, especially when you have a speedster on third.  If you have a guy who can handle the bat, it seems like an easy way to get a run across, but I'm sure I'm probably missing something here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to But they put on a suicide squeeze :  LOL...  and Yet it worked out for KC and it didn't have to be a "Suicide" Squeeze when a "Safety" Squeeze was all that was needed. That is Exactly the reason why Tito gets bashed because, Apparently, he don't even know the difference between the two !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

What exactly worked out for KC? Are you talking about the Scutaro play ( not getting the sign) or are you speaking of what the KC offense did in the last inning with a runner on third? It isn't clear what you are talking about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

i was so surprised to see Reddick running to home plate, i didn't see the pitch, but Remy said it was not a good pitch to bunt. It may have worked, it may not have. regardless, 12th inning, long night after the rain delay and running thin of relievers. was glad Francona tried it. He's criticized so much here for not thinking outside the box, not playing small ball.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i was so surprised to see Reddick running to home plate, i didn't see the pitch, but Remy said it was not a good pitch to bunt. It may have worked, it may not have. regardless, 12th inning, long night after the rain delay and running thin of relievers. was glad Francona tried it. He's criticized so much here for not thinking outside the box, not playing small ball.
    Posted by J-BAY
    Hey J, Francona said it was just a case of Reddick getting the sign, while Scutaro missed it, Reddick did what he was supposed to, obviously Remy has a better view than me, but at that point when you know the guys coming, by hook or crook you'll have to put that pitch in play if humanly possible, maybe it wasn't a good pitch, but Remy shouldn't expect the batter to leave it to chance...  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I guess that I am misinformed , but it was always my understanding that the player is supposed to have a signal to the coach that he did receive the sign on a critical play like that.  I guess I was wrong , but I do feel that there should be a system in place to avoid that sort of goof up.  Probably cost us the game. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Hi Jete.  It was a missed sign by Scut, which he apologized to Francona for, when he got to the dugout. Remy point was, it wasn't a good pitch to bunt, so it may not have worked out as planned anyway. was too late at that point for scut to do anything. regardless, it was a chance worth taking and a good call. unfortunately, scutaro hit a single after Reddick was tagged out, but again, no telling if that would have happened even if he wasn't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I guess that I am misinformed , but it was always my understanding that the player is supposed to have a signal to the coach that he did receive the sign on a critical play like that.  I guess I was wrong , but I do feel that there should be a system in place to avoid that sort of goof up.  Probably cost us the game. 
    Posted by dgalehouse

Bobby Valentine referenced that on Sunday night baseball. He said when he was managing he would have the batter signal that he had recieved the call.

Sections
Shortcuts