By trading Ells what do you think you'll get back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

By trading Ells what do you think you'll get back?

By trading Ells you need to get back whatever a two year rental will buy. If both Prince and Albert sign you now have two teams with money that might feel Ells could make up for the production lost and might feel like they could sign him long term. You now have the Mets that will need a marquis draw with the loss of Reyes. What could they offer?

In return are we getting Prospects?

A Front line pitcher and a CF --Ex. to Detroit for Jackson and Fister or Pauley.

Just what would you expect...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: By trading Ells what do you think you'll get back?

Regrets

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Hanley or McCutchen and a bottom tier pitcher, to name a few.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Ellsbury is not getting traded, at least not until 2013, and then only if the Sox cannot resign him. But then again by letting him walk, the Sox would receive two draft choices, unless that has changed with the new labor agreement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This is an outsider's opinion and is not meant to be disrespectful in anyway to the Boston franchise or RSN.

Why would anyone want to trade Els unless he has come out and said that he does not wish to play for Boston when his F.A. comes around? It is beyond me.

Assuming Varitek retires with Boston, I think that will be the first Sox player in years who came out of their system ad retired from the same org. I cannot remember the last time a Sox player came out of the Boston Minor League system  and retired a Sox. As of today, Boston has Pedey, Youk, Lester and Els who have all been All-stars and came out of the Boston system. I have read some off-season talk that Boston should look to trade Youk this year if possible. Will RSN look for that to happen as well when Pedey's talent begins to downturn.

RSN is always crying about Yankee money, but a large part of that money over the last 17 years has been to retain their own (Mo, Jeter, Posada, Petitte and Williams back a few years ago), even though they were on the downside of their career. Yeah - the Yanks spend aggressively in the F.A. market, but they don't look to abandon their homegrown stars unless special need calls for it or clubhouse issues warrant the move. This has even held true for players who were F.A. or trade pick-ups (CC and A-Rod). Overpaid in $ and years for sure, but they will retire as Yankees. And I am sure they will do the same with Cano.

Perhaps this is the difference in the legacy between the two franchises as we move forward in this new century.

My personal feelings is that Pedey, Lester and Els, if possible should be locked up for the remainder of their career even if it costs a couple of extra bucks. They are the players who will truly help keep Boston's Franchise an ever growing and forever a beloved baseball team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Varitek was drafted by the Mariners, but point taken.  Also, it seems pretty apparent that the Sox overspent on Crawford and it may ultimately preclude them from re-signing Ellsbury.  He will hit FA, and the Sox may have to let him walk or they will have a significant % of their payroll tied up in two outfielders. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Ellsbury is not getting traded, at least not until 2013, and then only if the Sox cannot resign him.

Crawford and 142M has Ellsbury's parking space. Ellsbury will not be resigned and needs to be traded this winter as trade value will never be higher and Red Sox need young RH star OF slugger, not more left feet to the mid 30's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

mutiny??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It would be nice if your ideal of players starting and ending their careers with the same teams actually happened. Unfortunately a lot depends on the greed of the player's agent. I would love nothing more than to see Jacoby finish perhaps a HofF career with the Sox. The Sox would love to lock him up long term but his agent has been encouraging him to go to arb instead until he hits FA and goes for Pujols  money. I think the Sox recognize his talent and would negotiate very fairly.

Look at the Mets--they lost Reyes and because the Marlins signed Heath Bell they will get no better than the Marlins #2 draft pick next year.

A few years back the Sox offered Nomar $48 M and he turned it down--his career was on the downturn , at that time, in my opinion, and he gave up a great deal of security and was traded away.

The Celts offered Perkins a $22 M. contract-he refused and was traded.

Ells is a valuable player and I can see waiting until 2013 to move him but if you can get good quality in return now--take it--that same offer may not be good in 12 to 15 months. In addition if he is that valuable at FA the Sox can bid on him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why is everyone so high on Armis Rameriz?  Did you know that he missed alot of games during his career.  If you look at the last five years between him and Youkilis, they are pretty close on number of games played.

Also Rameriz is going to be asking for at least 13 to 15 million dollars a year.  He isnt going to take a discount.  He got alot of teams that wanted him.  So therefore, he is going to take the best offer that he can find.  If that is the case, he will be making the same amount of money per year or maybe bit less or more than Youkilis.  That isnt going to be much different if we want Youkilis to be moved.

Stay away from Rameriz.  

I just think Youkilis will stay for one more year, and let him walk after the 2012 season.  Middlebrook can be call up as an utility player and play 3B occassionally.  If Middlebrook still struggles just like Iggy did last year, then Boston can alway go after the free agency after the 2012 season or via trade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Reyes getting 106 million from the Marlins and Kemp getting 120 million for eight years with Dodgers tells you if Ellsbury has another big season he will be right in there and rightly so look what Crawford got.  Still we should sign him if 2012 is another good year for him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Is it not the point to keep quality talented players, young players at that, on your team? And just because his trade value is high(many think), does not equate to trading him now. The Sox need Ells. They need his hustle, his speed, his effort, his homers, and his quality center field play.

And if you are going to trade Ells then why not get rid of Pedroia as well. I am sure he will command some value. Its asburd to trade away proven talent for speculated talent.

NO TRADE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Antique

If you think about it, Pedey is under contract for 3 more years with a 4th year option and minimal money. I think his final year tops at about 11 million per year. If you want to get a serious return for a player, then maybe Pedey is the one you trade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Ellsbury has had one year of outstanding production.
    Is it more likely that he repeats it or that Granderson hits 40+ HR's again for example?
    One year ago the consensus on this board was to let him go at almost any cost.  Now some have him rated as one of the premier players in the game.  let's see him do it again before we go crazy.  You cannot trade him now becasue you will never get his value back if 2011 was his real value of future performance. I do not think that any other teams think that 2011 was his new average year and will not overvalue him as most sox fans are doing. Using pedroia as an example, one great MVP year has never been duplicated, but that does not take away his value as an excellent, but not premier player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Call Epstein and ask him if he is interested in Ellsbury at 2011 price.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Re: By trading Ells what do you think you'll get back?:
    Antique If you think about it, Pedey is under contract for 3 more years with a 4th year option and minimal money. I think his final year tops at about 11 million per year. If you want to get a serious return for a player, then maybe Pedey is the one you trade.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Hey jessey. I was actually trying to make a joke. I don't want to trade Pedey. I don't wish to trade either. Fans get crazy wanting to trade players, good quality young players away. It makes no sense sometimes. How can you build a team when all you ever do is trade away talent to get supposed talent in return. Crazy. The Sox answers don't lie in trading away Ells. They lie in getting production this season from Crawford and finding another quality starting pitcher. A right fielder who bats rightie would be helpful too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

hank, I'm not sure Theo would make a deal for Ells unless he signs Albert or Prince and if they went all in on CJ and Buerhle to try to make a pennant run.

For  contending teams like the Angels, Rangers, Cards, Marlins, Braves, Phils, Nationals--they might figure I will trade for Ells tell us what you want and we'll see if it works for us for  two years.

Some would say on this thread, we're a contending team we'll keep him. We have an Ellsbury in CC and he potentially could be better, in addition Ells is a more favorable commodity contract wise with 2 years of arb eligibility.

Who knows what's the right thing to do. If he stays great--if he's traded I don't see it as a big loss.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I'd trade him for a top pitching prospect and a couple of lower rated pitching prospects.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Assuming Varitek retires with Boston, I think that will be the first Sox player in years who came out of their system ad retired from the same org. I cannot remember the last time a Sox player came out of the Boston Minor League system  and retired a Sox.

As already noted, Varitek came up through the Mariners' system, although the Red Sox are the only major league team he's played for to date. Excluding players who made the proverbial cup of coffee type appearances, does anyone know the last player to be drafted by Boston, come up through the Boston system alone, and only play for the Red Sox his entire major league career? I'm curious. Has there been anyone since Yazstrezmski who fits that profile?

Mike Greenwell comes close, but didn't he play minor league baseball in the Cincinnati system after leaving Boston? I think Tim Naehring also played minor league ball in another organization at some point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from saintJ. Show saintJ's posts

A ssuming V a ritek retires with Boston, I think th a t will be the first Sox pl a yer in ye a rs who c a me out of their system a d retired from the s a me org. I c a nnot remember the l a st time a Sox pl a yer c a me out of the Boston Minor Le a gue system  a nd retired a Sox. As already noted, Varitek came up through the Mariners' system, although the Red Sox are the only major league team he's played for to date. Excluding players who made the proverbial cup of coffee type appearances, does anyone know the last player to be drafted by Boston, come up through the Boston system alone, and only play for the Red Sox his entire major league career? I'm curious. Has there been anyone since Yazstrezmski who fits that profile? Mike Greenwell comes close, but didn't he play minor league baseball in the Cincinnati system after leaving Boston? I think Tim Naehring also played minor league ball in another organization at some point.
    Posted by davidap

Come on man, how about Greenwell and Naehring? 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

You dont trade Ellsbury-- PERIOD!  All you fools on this board that keep suggesting it-- please go apply for the Yankees GM job-- we would love to have you in that position.  You guys would then trade Cano (since he is at his highest Value) with the same reasoning you use for Ellsbury.

Maybe this helps explain how idiotic the trade Ellsbury posts are!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Not sure the point which saintj expressed, except I thought there was a reference to Jason Varitek, if he retires, will be the first player who came through the organization, to do so since Carl Yaz.  As I recall Jason did not sign with his first ML team when drafted and was drafted again, that time by the Seattle Mariners and was then acquired by the Red Sox along with Derek Lowe in exchange for relief pitcher Heathcliff Slocumb.  Perhap there is some misunderstanding that Jason Varitek was originally drafted by the Red Sox, but former General Manager Dan Duquette who is the new Orioles' GM can speak to that. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

A ssuming V a ritek retires with Boston, I think th a t will be the first Sox pl a yer in ye a rs who c a me out of their system a d retired from the s a me org. I c a nnot remember the l a st time a Sox pl a yer c a me out of the Boston Minor Le a gue system  a nd retired a Sox. As already noted, Varitek came up through the Mariners' system, although the Red Sox are the only major league team he's played for to date. Excluding players who made the proverbial cup of coffee type appearances, does anyone know the last player to be drafted by Boston, come up through the Boston system alone, and only play for the Red Sox his entire major league career? I'm curious. Has there been anyone since Yazstrezmski who fits that profile? Mike Greenwell comes close, but didn't he play minor league baseball in the Cincinnati system after leaving Boston? I think Tim Naehring also played minor league ball in another organization at some point.
    Posted by davidap

I can think of one....Jim Rice.

Sections
Shortcuts