Bye Bye Iggy - Heading to Detroit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Bye Bye Iggy - Heading to Detroit

For BC to get Peavy and only give up Iggy and some low level kids is great. I didnt want Peavy if it involved top prospects, but BC selling high on Iggy detroit team that was desperate for a SS was good. Detroits lineup can handle his lack of offense. In volving a 3rd team was smart. Everyone gets what they want/need and the Sox dont give up anything that will affect the future for the team. Look for either Bogaerts or Middy back up tomorrow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to rickerd2's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Nick Cafardo @nickcafardo 3m

From what I've been able to piece together three other Red Sox minor leaguers and Iglesias are in the deal. Villareal, a Tiger RH to Boston.

He either K's or walks everyone he faces.  Maybe he can be straigtened out, like Miller was.

still fairly young and under  control. Not even arb eligible until 2015 I believe. Workman will be the RHP theyve needed in the pen now and Villareal will go to AAA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Alex Speier @alexspeier 43s

Believe athletic 2B Cleuluis Rondon of Lowell is in the deal.

Is that name pronounced clueless??? If so glad he's gone lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lou Merloni @LouMerloni 

Played with Peavy in SD in 03. He will thrive here. Wants to win. Great competitor. Health is an issue but Sox dealt bc of depth at position

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

For BC to get Peavy and only give up Iggy and some low level kids is great. I didnt want Peavy if it involved top prospects, but BC selling high on Iggy detroit team that was desperate for a SS was good. Detroits lineup can handle his lack of offense. In volving a 3rd team was smart. Everyone gets what they want/need and the Sox dont give up anything that will affect the future for the team. Look for either Bogaerts or Middy back up tomorrow.

Thanks for post on other Detroit pitcher. He was good last year, but awful this year. I'm guessing he goes to Pawtucket.  And I don't care about lower level prospects.

Also, Workman going to bullpen solidifies that. De La Torre gets sent down, Bogaerts comes up.

Bogaerts will be in Boston tomorrow at 3B. Exciting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

Sept. Starting Rotation.........Buch, Peavey, Lester, Lackey, Dempster ....... and you still have arms leftover. BC done good in my opinion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... the Sox dont give up anything that will affect the future for the team. Look for either Bogaerts or Middy back up tomorrow.

I think most of us had Iggy penciled in as out FT SS for many years to come, Boggy moving to 3B next year, and maybe Middy moving to 1B as well. I wouldn't say giving up Iggy will not affect the future of this team. Instead of having Iggy/Boggy next year, we will have Boggy and an open slot at 3B or SS for 2014 and beyond. A lot has been shuffled around and back around in the future Sox depth charts by this trade.

It would be great if Middlebrooks could regain form at 3B, at least until Cecchini is ML ready, but my guess is we will pick up a quality corner IF'er to play 3B (with Middy) and 1B (with Carp/Nava/Papi).

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ok, here are the other prospects going to CWS

Boston Red Sox @RedSox 35s

#RedSox send minor leaguers Wendelken, Montas & Rondon to White Sox; OF Avisail Garcia goes from Tigers to Red Sox to White Sox.

I really liked Montas, but we'll be good without him. CWS got a good young flamethrower in Montas, but both pitchers have a ceiling as a reliever and Rondon as a UI, so no biggie.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

... the Sox dont give up anything that will affect the future for the team. Look for either Bogaerts or Middy back up tomorrow.

I think most of us had Iggy penciled in as out FT SS for many years to come, Boggy moving to 3B next year, and maybe Middy moving to 1B as well. I wouldn't say giving up Iggy will not affect the future of this team. Instead of having Iggy/Boggy next year, we will have Boggy and an open slot at 3B or SS for 2014 and beyond. A lot has been shuffled around and back around in the future Sox depth charts by this trade.

It would be great if Middlebrooks could regain form at 3B, at least until Cecchini is ML ready, but my guess is we will pick up a quality corner IF'er to play 3B (with Middy) and 1B (with Carp/Nava/Papi).

Sox4ever

I got the feeling this year that they saw Bogey as their SS and not Iggy. I dont think it disrupts much with Middy and Cecchini, who will probably start in AAA next year. Hes very close to ready. If they have to fill a spot for a year, then they will. Like I said Moon, dont be surprised to see the Sox go over 189M next year and reset in 2015.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Thanks for post on other Detroit pitcher. He was good last year, but awful this year. I'm guessing he goes to Pawtucket.  And I don't care about lower level prospects.

Also, Workman going to bullpen solidifies that. De La Torre gets sent down, Bogaerts comes up.

Bogaerts will be in Boston tomorrow at 3B. Exciting.

Although Id like to see Bogey too, Im guessing it will be WMB that gets called back up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

i'm not surprised by the deal, but disappointed. 

I know it sounds like blasphemy, but I feel like we gave up ozzie smith.  Would have made ss position settled for years to come.  Offense comes and goes, but he would have been dependable solid d for 10+ years.  

Unfortunately, sox don't rate d at ss very high.  Big mistake, look at all the difficulties finding a ss lately.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from victoryismine. Show victoryismine's posts

To all the Iggy lovers on this board....you deal from strength to get stronger! 

If Iggy drives in 40 a year and saves 30 runs (im being generous) over X.B, X.B only needs to drive in 70 to make this a no brainer.

Now lets trade one of our lefties in the bullpen to get a RH bat

DEAL FROM STRENGTH TO GET STRONGER. Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to victoryismine's comment:

If Iggy drives in 40 a year and saves 30 runs (im being generous) over X.B, X.B only needs to drive in 70 to make this a no brainer.

I'm a bit drunk so I'm rambling tonight.  I see the logic.  They could have had a Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Iggy, Boeagarts infield for years to come.  I'd put even money that in 20 years Iggy will be inducted into the hall for winning GG 10 years in a row and hitting .250-.300 every year.  I'm a big Peavy fan too, maybe he makes the difference for 1 or 2 WS over the next few years.  If he does it's hard to argue it was worth it.  However, it would have been fun to watch Iggy on web gems for the next 10 years and see him go in to the hall as the next ozzie smith/guillen.  Offense is much less predictable than d, he is solid and that won't change

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

i'm not surprised by the deal, but disappointed. 

I know it sounds like blasphemy, but I feel like we gave up ozzie smith.  Would have made ss position settled for years to come.  Offense comes and goes, but he would have been dependable solid d for 10+ years.  

Unfortunately, sox don't rate d at ss very high.  Big mistake, look at all the difficulties finding a ss lately.

Bogey will lock up the SS spot starting next year for at least the next 6 years. Middy and cecchini will also be part of the next great Red Sox team too...Although i loved his D, Ill take Bogey all day over iggy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

I like the deal. Will miss Iggy, but his bat just wasn't there For a Fenway Park type of team.  Hope WMB comes back strong

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Brian MacPherson @brianmacp

Cherington deferred to Farrell about whose spot in the rotation Peavy will take, but he said Workman-to-bullpen is "most likely" scenario.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Jenny Dell @JennyDellNESN 

#RedSox will add an infielder from AAA to roster tomorrow, Cherington said. No word yet on who.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe

Cherington feels comfortable with in-house options at 3B. … Most likely Workman to bullpen

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

There is a very real possibility that until the Sox got Detroit to include Avasail Garcia in the deal that Jackie Bradley was considered a possible trade piece, rather than Iggy.  At least that is how I read the tea leaves.

I am not one who thinks Iggy will be missed, with all the SS depth on the Sox.  I have always thought the SS of the future was Bogaerts.  That said, I just don't see why the Sox needed to do this.  Workman has 3 quality starts in a row, and now he gets replaced by a pitcher who has not had a quality start since before his non-displaced rib fracture.  Workman becomes the RH relief pitcher they needed?  How about just bringing up Contreras, or Lyon (who had the save tonight), or Wilson when he proves healthy, if the other two do not pan out?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The three minor leaguers leaving are Wendelken, Montas and Rondon, Wendelken was pitching for Greenville as a reliever , Montas is a 20 year old guy playing at single A and C. Rondon is a SS playing at Lowell.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from victoryismine. Show victoryismine's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

In response to victoryismine's comment:

I'm a bit drunk so I'm rambling tonight.  I see the logic.  They could have had a Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Iggy, Boeagarts infield for years to come.  I'd put even money that in 20 years Iggy will be inducted into the hall for winning GG 10 years in a row and hitting .250-.300 every year.  I'm a big Peavy fan too, maybe he makes the difference for 1 or 2 WS over the next few years.  If he does it's hard to argue it was worth it.  However, it would have been fun to watch Iggy on web gems for the next 10 years and see him go in to the hall as the next ozzie smith/guillen.  Offense is much less predictable than d, he is solid and that won't change

Your thinking is understandable my friend...however, i would put .270 at the VERY TOP of Iggy's potential year-to-year BA. Yes, he is a GREAT defensive infielder BUT I see him as a career .250 hitter with your aformentioned multi gold glove count. However, Hall of Fame? Is Mark Belanger in the HOF? Thanks, brotha!

In fact, the chance of Iggy being a late inning defensive replacement for an NL team is a real possibility. Where does Iggy go when Petralta comes back from his suspension next year?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Oh, and giving up the 3 youngsters does nothing to alleviate the rule 5 draft dillema this winter, at all.  Better to have traded some excesses they are going to lose anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

The Sox decade long SS merry-go-round continues...

Sox4ever

The must like Bogey and/or Marrero better than Iggy...They certainly are determined to have a revolving door at SS though arent they?

Southpaw, 

How can you come to that conclusion considering they've great prospects in the minor almost ready to take over. If not Iggy would not be involved in the trade. This means if Iggy is a goner the Sox have a load of faith in thier young players. 

Hetch

It was more a tongue and cheek comment..They see Bogey as their SS of the future and sold high on Iggy.

That's exactly right. They got a good price for Iggy. I mentioned last week on my "time for a new left side" thread that Boggy and Midds would be coming up, boggy to play SS and Midds back to 3rd . With Iggy being a super sub or traded.( kind of got lambasted on that one, but wasn't far off )  Let's face it....he's a slick fielding 220/240 SS , but Boggys a game changer. I think they stick with Drew for now with Boggy spotting him ...should be interesting....would be REALLY interesting if they move Drew tomorrow and hand the keys to SS to Boggy for the stretch run....: ) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

There is a very real possibility that until the Sox got Detroit to include Avasail Garcia in the deal that Jackie Bradley was considered a possible trade piece, rather than Iggy.  At least that is how I read the tea leaves.

I am not one who thinks Iggy will be missed, with all the SS depth on the Sox.  I have always thought the SS of the future was Bogaerts.  That said, I just don't see why the Sox needed to do this.  Workman has 3 quality starts in a row, and now he gets replaced by a pitcher who has not had a quality start since before his non-displaced rib fracture.  Workman becomes the RH relief pitcher they needed?  How about just bringing up Contreras, or Lyon (who had the save tonight), or Wilson when he proves healthy, if the other two do not pan out?

Alex wilso almost blew the lead tonight. Not sure if he will be called up just yet. I like Contreras and hes looked good, but he left AAA to go deal with a family issue today I believe. Workman will be great out of the pen with Britton Breslow Taz Koji Thornton Beato and DeLaTorre.

Switch Peavy with Iggy on the 60-man.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

The Sox decade long SS merry-go-round continues...

Sox4ever

The must like Bogey and/or Marrero better than Iggy...They certainly are determined to have a revolving door at SS though arent they?

Southpaw, 

How can you come to that conclusion considering they've great prospects in the minor almost ready to take over. If not Iggy would not be involved in the trade. This means if Iggy is a goner the Sox have a load of faith in thier young players. 

Hetch

It was more a tongue and cheek comment..They see Bogey as their SS of the future and sold high on Iggy.

That's exactly right. They got a good price for Iggy. I mentioned last week on my "time for a new left side" thread that Boggy and Midds would be coming up, boggy to play SS and Midds back to 3rd . With Iggy being a super sub or traded.( kind of got lambasted on that one, but wasn't far off )  Let's face it....he's a slick fielding 220/240 SS , but Boggys a game changer. I think they stick with Drew for now with Boggy spotting him ...should be interesting....would be REALLY interesting if they move Drew tomorrow and hand the keys to SS to Boggy for the stretch run....: ) 

I believe I was with you on who the one to get traded would be. out of that group of left side IF'ers you mentioned, Iggy was the obvious choice to me. hes a solid defensive player with little offense and Bogey, like you said, is a game changer.

They will probably call Middy back up tomorrow. They wont move Drew to a position hes never played before. I also dont think they hand they keys to a 20yo for a pennant run.

Sections
Shortcuts