Bye Bye Iggy - Heading to Detroit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Bye Bye Iggy - Heading to Detroit

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to parhunter55's comment:

There is a very real possibility that until the Sox got Detroit to include Avasail Garcia in the deal that Jackie Bradley was considered a possible trade piece, rather than Iggy.  At least that is how I read the tea leaves.

I am not one who thinks Iggy will be missed, with all the SS depth on the Sox.  I have always thought the SS of the future was Bogaerts.  That said, I just don't see why the Sox needed to do this.  Workman has 3 quality starts in a row, and now he gets replaced by a pitcher who has not had a quality start since before his non-displaced rib fracture.  Workman becomes the RH relief pitcher they needed?  How about just bringing up Contreras, or Lyon (who had the save tonight), or Wilson when he proves healthy, if the other two do not pan out?

Alex wilso almost blew the lead tonight. Not sure if he will be called up just yet. I like Contreras and hes looked good, but he left AAA to go deal with a family issue today I believe. Workman will be great out of the pen with Britton Breslow Taz Koji Thornton Beato and DeLaTorre.

Switch Peavy with Iggy on the 60-man.

You're right, Wilson actually blew the save, and then got the win, according to the box score.  However, he is just coming off the disabled list.  I suspect that one of Thornton, Breslow or Britton is gone tomorrow.  Otherwise De La Torre or Beato has to go back down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There is a very real possibility that until the Sox got Detroit to include Avasail Garcia in the deal that Jackie Bradley was considered a possible trade piece, rather than Iggy.  At least that is how I read the tea leaves.

I am not one who thinks Iggy will be missed, with all the SS depth on the Sox.  I have always thought the SS of the future was Bogaerts.  That said, I just don't see why the Sox needed to do this.  Workman has 3 quality starts in a row, and now he gets replaced by a pitcher who has not had a quality start since before his non-displaced rib fracture.  Workman becomes the RH relief pitcher they needed?  How about just bringing up Contreras, or Lyon (who had the save tonight), or Wilson when he proves healthy, if the other two do not pan out?

Alex wilso almost blew the lead tonight. Not sure if he will be called up just yet. I like Contreras and hes looked good, but he left AAA to go deal with a family issue today I believe. Workman will be great out of the pen with Britton Breslow Taz Koji Thornton Beato and DeLaTorre.

Switch Peavy with Iggy on the 60-man.

You're right, Wilson actually blew the save, and then got the win, according to the box score.  However, he is just coming off the disabled list.  I suspect that one of Thornton, Breslow or Britton is gone tomorrow.  Otherwise De La Torre or Beato has to go back down.

I think I heard DLT name mentioned to go back to AAA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

Awful move. They gave away the best fielding shortstop in the league for a 32 year old middle of the rotation guy who has trouble staying healthy. Bogaerts is built to be a third baseman. Iglesias is and always will be a SS. It's tough to know what Marrero will be and Steven Drew is nothing more than an overpaid stopgap. This one will be felt for years to come. Thought the front office had finally gotten their act together, but this proves the win now at all costs philosophy continues. I get the idea of going for it when you have the chance, but not at the expense of the long term future of the club. Since 2007 Peavy has won 61 games and lost 52, meaning you're getting (approx.) an 10-8 guy who statistically is going to make about 25 starts at best for you and throw under 150 innings. Since 07 he's pitched over 200 innings exactly once and he's not going to do it this year either by a longshot. They have him through next year (14.5 mill). Hope they at least win it this year or next and Peavy is a big part of it, because I can't see it being close to worth it otherwise. Personally didn't care if Iglesias hit .225 or .230 (and .250 was all he really needed to hit not to kill them), but the fact that he has proved he can do better should have been enough. Obviously not. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from victoryismine. Show victoryismine's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

Awful move. They gave away the best fielding shortstop in the league for a 32 year old middle of the rotation guy who has trouble staying healthy. Bogaerts is built to be a third baseman. Iglesias is and always will be a SS. It's tough to know what Marrero will be and Steven Drew is nothing more than an overpaid stopgap. This one will be felt for years to come. Thought the front office had finally gotten their act together, but this proves the win now at all costs philosophy continues. I get the idea of going for it when you have the chance, but not at the expense of the long term future of the club. Since 2007 Peavy has won 61 games and lost 52, meaning you're getting (approx.) an 10-8 guy who statistically is going to make about 25 starts at best for you and throw under 150 innings. Since 07 he's pitched over 200 innings exactly once and he's not going to do it this year either by a longshot. They have him through next year (14.5 mill). Hope they at least win it this year or next and Peavy is a big part of it, because I can't see it being close to worth it otherwise. Personally didn't care if Iglesias hit .225 or .230 (and .250 was all he really needed to hit not to kill them), but the fact that he has proved he can do better should have been enough. Obviously not. 

So what would you have suggested the Sox do, friend? What your saying is, stand pat, finish 2nd or 3rd, and play (maybe) a one game play-in? Or are you ranking Iggy above X.B. and J.B, Jr? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I didn't see the need to get Peavy. I think Buchholz will be back and Workman has been fine. This was the year to give young players the chance when they're doing the job like Workman has been doing.

But I have no problem with what the Sox gave up. Iggy is great defensively, but I still have serious concerns about his long-term viability as a hitter. He's down to .330, which OK, we knew he'd come down to earth. But he's not falling back to earth, he's plumetting. And yes they count, but really, 24 of his hits are infield hits. He's had a bit of luck going for him. 

I would have been fine with just getting bullpen help, but the Sox didn't give up anyone I wanted them to keep.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

Bogey is just fine as a SS. In fact, most scouts have said they think he could stick at the position. Ill trust the scouts. When it comes to Bogey vs Iggy? Bogey will win every time. No disrespect, but I feel your post was a bit overly dramatic about feeling this for years to come. We are deep at SS and 3b. We sold high on Iggy to a desperate team. Iggy was very lucky with his hitting and he is free falling back to earth offensively.

Peavy was said to require top prospects. We gave nothing that will hurt this teams future. I loved Iggys D, but This was a great move by Ben. I didnt want Peavy if it was going to cost a lot, but this is fine with me. Good luck to Iggy and Ill be rooting for him, except when we play the Tigers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to victoryismine's comment:

Your thinking is understandable my friend...however, i would put .270 at the VERY TOP of Iggy's potential year-to-year BA. Yes, he is a GREAT defensive infielder BUT I see him as a career .250 hitter with your aformentioned multi gold glove count. However, Hall of Fame? Is Mark Belanger in the HOF? Thanks, brotha!

In fact, the chance of Iggy being a late inning defensive replacement for an NL team is a real possibility. Where does Iggy go when Petralta comes back from his suspension next year?

Veteran Jhonny Peralta will be a free agent at the end of this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I think we need a pitcher worse than they are letting on....Dempster, Doubrant and Lackey all look a little worn down to me. I loved Iglesias glove....might be the best fielding SS I have seen but I think the Sox think that Bogaerts is the future SS...not as good a glove but a very special bat. I mean really...who would you rather send to the Tiger's in order to get this deal done....I'm pretty sure we would regret sending Bogy a whole lot more than Iggy....and like Southpaw said I will root for Iggy to do well long as he isn't playing the Red Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Your thinking is understandable my friend...however, i would put .270 at the VERY TOP of Iggy's potential year-to-year BA. Yes, he is a GREAT defensive infielder BUT I see him as a career .250 hitter with your aformentioned multi gold glove count. However, Hall of Fame? Is Mark Belanger in the HOF? Thanks, brotha!

In fact, the chance of Iggy being a late inning defensive replacement for an NL team is a real possibility. Where does Iggy go when Petralta comes back from his suspension next year?

Iggy will fit in well with that line up. Great D with little bat. I think it was a good trade for Detroit and Boston, not so much for CWS unless that OF'er the Tigs sent over is any good. We basically sent over what amounts to 2 future relievers and a future UI from what scouts projections are as of right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Peavy is just another Dempster. I'd love to be proven wrong, but there is actually no doubt in my mind he will be a very mediocre pitcher at best, and there is a very good chance he will be a awful. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

BTW. I agree the Sox are deep at short.    I just don't think Peavy is worth much of anything. He's not even good enough to crack Boston's current rotation without Buchholtz. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsydla. Show jsydla's posts

Serious question,  because I can't think of one,  has Cherrington ever made a good deal?  My brain is fogged with awful closers..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Then he will be available for the Red Sox if Bogey doesn't work out.  

Just kidding.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

The idea of losing him makes me sick. He creates excitement just by walking onto the field. Under team control thru 2018!! Peavy only thru 2014.

This doesn't make sense to me. There have to be lots of details yet to come out.

I guess you could say that you're peeved, or in this case, Peavied.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Serious question,  because I can't think of one,  has Cherrington ever made a good deal?  My brain is fogged with awful closers..

The good: The Dodger dump.

The bad: Reddick and Lowrie for Bailey.

The defensible that turned out bad: Melancon for Hanrahan.

Cherington has done a better job with free agent acquisitions. Every single one of them worked out at least reasonably well except maybe Drew.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I hope Workman stays in the rotation for a few more starts as they can all use the extra rest.  

Bogaerts is obviously being viewed as the long term solution at SS but he is likely on his way to Boston now (or shortly) to play 3B.  Expect him to slide over next year.  What I think is interesting is they obviously haven't given up on Middlebrooks.  He can still hit his way back and push Boogy over this year and may get a second chance next year....and if he can't handle it ever then Cecchini will likely not very far behind him.  

I really liked Iglesias but I think they sold high on him, which I believe I predicted a few weeks ago.  They also gave up some prospects but NONE are top 20 with the best being Montas, who is likely a bullpen guy if he reaches the big leagues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

lowrie was traded to the astros for melancon, then melancon was traded for hanrahan, just thought i would point that out lol. I agree ben has not done so well with trades. I think the peavy trade will work out in the end. Once iggy started facing more breaking balls he could not get a hit to save his life and is now in a big slump. He is great defensively, but his bat will always be a question mark. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I share your concerns bro, but just don't think we had a better choice at the moment. You can thank that panty waisted manchild Bucholtz, who suffers from his multi year exposure to the toxically selfish Josh Beckett. Baby Buch will pitch again when he 100% feels like it, and there's just no way of knowing when that'll be. We had to make a move because we have a shot at a ring, and I applaud Ben for having the guts to make a tough call. I do wish it was Jackie Bradley and not Iggy because I too saw our SS search as having come to an end. But it is what it is man. Peavey can pitch in the American League and, if Buch ever decides to man up and play again, we'll have a pretty deep rotation for the post season. I do wish the 2015 option was a team option, but what are ya gonna do?   
    Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I wish Iggy well in Detroit. RS will miss his glove. I kinda think this trade was made BECAUSE of Middlebrooks and his struggles. We don't have a strong hitting 3B right now. Makes sense to have a strong hitting SS, which Iggy was not going to be. Who knows? Certainly by next year, it could be possible that Bogaerts has Papi's back in the lineup. Middlebrooks should have been that person, but he isn't there yet. We may see a second half resurgence of Napoli, as he has been a stronger second half player. 

In 2014, I'd look at WMB at 3rd, XB at SS, and Carp at 1st. 

I hate to sound like another poster, but RS are bankrolling a lot of pitching... Stanton trade in the off-season? 

I really would have liked to see a full season with Iggy at SS. Just not going to happen now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Iglesias was benched for disciplinary reasons in May, he slugged .292 in AAA, and he had a .377 BABIP.   

They sold high on a guy with a mentality problem.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

We have a lot of SS depth las. Thats why it makes sense. They must see Bogey as their SS.

Iggy's defensive plays alone sell tickets. Iggy's crazy off balance throws are the stuff of legend. I feel like someone I loved has died.

If Peavy's not extending then this deal is a 100% bust for me. Villarreal? Please!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

For BC to get Peavy and only give up Iggy and some low level kids is great. I didnt want Peavy if it involved top prospects, but BC selling high on Iggy detroit team that was desperate for a SS was good.

Why not just deal Drew for prospects plus cash considerations? End of the season Peralta's time is served and Drew is a free agent.

We traded the wrong shortstop for pitching we've been living without. I really don't want to sit Workman, but I guess they're going to put an innings limit on him ...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

If Buch was healthy, not sure this happens. Chalk it up to another injury plagued year.

Atleast they traded him for SP.

would've rather sent Drew for BP.

Im on the fence on this & probably will be until 2015 (?).

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sox probably got a better deal with Iglesias....Drew might not have been enough and at the end of the year he will be gone regardless.  The right side of the infield is about to get stronger and the pitching just did.  You have to give a team something they want, trades are two sided.

Sections
Shortcuts