Bye Bye Iggy - Heading to Detroit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Re: Bye Bye Iggy - Heading to Detroit

In response to victoryismine's comment:

So what would you have suggested the Sox do, friend? What your saying is, stand pat, finish 2nd or 3rd, and play (maybe) a one game play-in?

Yes and yes.

There's no guarantee that this trade gets us a ring this year, which was supposed to be a bridge year at best.

Iggy could have been our club icon at SS for life, like Peedy 2nd or Ortiz as DH.

I would have kept XB and JBJ. Workman is hitting his groove. I'd even prefer to see Webster/Wright pitch more if they wanted to protect Workman.

Unless they announce Peavy extending or another shoe drops, this is a bad deal for me.

Maybe they do something even more bizarre like send Peavy to the Phils for Lee in another wierd trade ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianbosox. Show brianbosox's posts

Once again, they prove no idea what they are doing. They trade a potential GG winner for a long time. Iggy is special and you build up the middle.  Can you say Ozzie who took a few years to hit consisitently as I think defensively he is that good.  Drew and Salty both stink.

They get Peavy who if he had a 4.28 in Boston would have been tortured in the media.  He was good 6 years ago.  Is he breaking down due to long time "Supplement" use that a lot of the players break down.  He is only going to get worse as he did for the ChiSox.  This is not San Diego 6 years  ago it is going to Dempster like. Keep Workman starting until he falters and put either Dempster in the pen.  Who is better Dempster or Peavy?  IMO, both are the same

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Looks like Middlebrooks will get the recall to play 3B.

Iglesias - good ball player, but they do have Boagerts ready to play SS too.  Think it is an overall positive trade.

Wish they would call up Boagerts immediately.  But no - we will be forced to watch Drew who is an awful player.

Defense.  It is still important.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Has anyone checked in on Bill to make sure he hasnt jumped off a bridge?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't have a good feeling about this at all.  This is the one thing I DID NOT want them to do - trade Iggy for an aging, somewhat fragile starting pitcher and in the process compromise the future of the team.

This was supposed to have been a building year, a "bridge" to 2014 and beyond, and I completely bought into that.  I was looking at a left side of the IF next year of two very young - and  cost controlled players players - and I was good with it.  I saw a slick fielding SS (Iggy) and a 3B who had the ability to play SS (Bogarts) and could hit like a corner IF, and I liked what I was seeing.  I was more than willing to see this season go down the toilet in September rather than trade that away. 

So now we have Drew at SS for the remainder of this year and...who?.... at 3B?  To get a guy who's pitched 80 innings this year?? 

I posted something a couple of weeks ago about how when you're up to your *ss in alligators it's hard to remember that you're main objective was to drain the swamp.  This team's objective this year was to build for the future and because this year's team is better than expected they forgot that. 

I'm a Sox fan and always have been, but I hope this turns out better than I'm afraid it's going to.  I see a very real possibility that we're going to look back on this in five years and put it into the category of, "Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson".     

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

For all those "in love" with iggy. Theres no doubt hes a great defender, but the Sox had to give something of value up to get a pitcher. And no, Drew wasnt going to do it. There is some doubt as to if Buch will come back healthy or at all, so BC had to make a move. We traded from an area of depth. Iggy, Bogey, Marerro, Vinicio and more...We have a bunch of middle IF'er in the system. Detroit gave up one of their prized OF prospects.

Yes the Sox are in a "bridge' year, but due to unexpected circumstances they are one of the best teams this year and have an obligation to the team and the fanbase to compete. I do think a few are being overly dramatic about an all glove no bat player leaving. No disrespect. Could Iggy develop into a 250+ hitter? Sure. But then again you could have Bogey, who is a good defensive SS, and also brings a big bat with him. Hes certainly no Iggy on D, not many are. But hes a very balanced player which I would choose everytime at SS over Iggy.

I respect most of the opinions on here and will say this. I think it comes down to personal preference. I like a SS more like Nomar. Solid D, but will make a few errors, with a lot of offense. A very balanced player. Some dont care if their SS hits a lick, as long as his glove is stellar. Either way is ok really. Unfortunately for the all D no bat crowd, it didnt go that way. Trust me, you will forget about Iggy after a seeing Bogey for a full year at SS in Fenway...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i am 100% behind this trade.  love that Ben C. is going for it this year.  Peavy can be a difference maker.  Ben sold high on iggy and increased our odds of having a deep run into PO's this season.  obviously RS FO see XB as the ss for years to come. 

Love Peavy's late season numbers.

Peavy splits:

august: 24-18 / 3.02

sept/oct:  23-12 / 2.98

not much history vs AL east but in very small sample size:

great vs baltimore

good vs rays & jays

terrible vs yanks (0-4 but sub 4 era)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

For all those "in love" with iggy. Theres no doubt hes a great defender, but the Sox had to give something of value up to get a pitcher. And no, Drew wasnt going to do it. There is some doubt as to if Buch will come back healthy or at all, so BC had to make a move. We traded from an area of depth. Iggy, Bogey, Marerro, Vinicio and more...We have a bunch of middle IF'er in the system. Detroit gave up one of their prized OF prospects.

Yes the Sox are in a "bridge' year, but due to unexpected circumstances they are one of the best teams this year and have an obligation to the team and the fanbase to compete. I do think a few are being overly dramatic about an all glove no bat player leaving. No disrespect. Could Iggy develop into a 250+ hitter? Sure. But then again you could have Bogey, who is a good defensive SS, and also brings a big bat with him. Hes certainly no Iggy on D, not many are. But hes a very balanced player which I would choose everytime at SS over Iggy.

I respect most of the opinions on here and will say this. I think it comes down to personal preference. I like a SS more like Nomar. Solid D, but will make a few errors, with a lot of offense. A very balanced player. Some dont care if their SS hits a lick, as long as his glove is stellar. Either way is ok really. Unfortunately for the all D no bat crowd, it didnt go that way. Trust me, you will forget about Iggy after a seeing Bogey for a full year at SS in Fenway...

Very well said South.  When pretty much every scout and GM says that the Sox ripped off the White Sox...I think I'll trust their opinions over a bunch of armchair GM's.  Peavey has been a great teamate and a fighter on the mound.  We need that BAD and now we have it.  Iggy has come crashing down to earth with his AVG dropping 100 points and his ENTIRE body of work shows that he is simply not a good hitter.  We are deep at SS and have one of the best prospects in all of MLB ready to step in full time next year!!  I liked Iggy's D as much as anybody but as a GM is on record as saying "The Sox parlayed 2 lucky months by Iggy into a number 2 starter"......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Looks like Middlebrooks will get the recall to play 3B.

Iglesias - good ball player, but they do have Boagerts ready to play SS too.  Think it is an overall positive trade.

Wish they would call up Boagerts immediately.  But no - we will be forced to watch Drew who is an awful player.

Defense.  It is still important.

Saying Drew has been awful is just silly.  He's been an above-average shortstop on both offense and defence.  He only has 3 errors.  He just won a game for us with 5 RBI, then had a clutch double that should have tied the Rays game.

You can say he's mediocre, that's reasonable, but when you say awful it sounds like you think MLB is awful in general.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I don't have a good feeling about this at all.  This is the one thing I DID NOT want them to do - trade Iggy for an aging, somewhat fragile starting pitcher and in the process compromise the future of the team.

This was supposed to have been a building year, a "bridge" to 2014 and beyond, and I completely bought into that.  I was looking at a left side of the IF next year of two very young - and  cost controlled players players - and I was good with it.  I saw a slick fielding SS (Iggy) and a 3B who had the ability to play SS (Bogarts) and could hit like a corner IF, and I liked what I was seeing.  I was more than willing to see this season go down the toilet in September rather than trade that away. 

So now we have Drew at SS for the remainder of this year and...who?.... at 3B?  To get a guy who's pitched 80 innings this year?? 

I posted something a couple of weeks ago about how when you're up to your *ss in alligators it's hard to remember that you're main objective was to drain the swamp.  This team's objective this year was to build for the future and because this year's team is better than expected they forgot that. 

I'm a Sox fan and always have been, but I hope this turns out better than I'm afraid it's going to.  I see a very real possibility that we're going to look back on this in five years and put it into the category of, "Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson".     

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm all for adding an arm but not at the expense of a potential fixture at shortstop, a position that has been a revolving door for us since Nomar left.  Peavy's best years are behind him. He hasn't won more than 11 games since 2007. Iggy has been outstanding this  year, a big reason why the Sox are  where they are.

I'm hoping Peavy comes in and knocks my socks off. But as for now, I don't like this  deal. Can't believe Ben didn't call to ask my opinion.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

What happens next year? Resign Drew? Bogaerts as a starter? Intresting.
    Almost same situation as this year, with Iggy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

i am 100% behind this trade.  love that Ben C. is going for it this year.  Peavy can be a difference maker.  Ben sold high on iggy and increased our odds of having a deep run into PO's this season.  obviously RS FO see XB as the ss for years to come. 

Love Peavy's late season numbers.

Peavy splits:

august: 24-18 / 3.02

sept/oct:  23-12 / 2.98

not much history vs AL east but in very small sample size:

great vs baltimore

good vs rays & jays

terrible vs yanks (0-4 but sub 4 era)

He certainly seems like the kind of pitcher who hits another level when the competition is high. My 1 and only worry with Peavy is obviously staying healthy. But I think it was a smart move considering our very surprising year. Ben has ab obligation to the fans and the team and has made a move to improve this team for a PS run. That alone, has to be applauded.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

[QUOTE]

Very well said South.  When pretty much every scout and GM says that the Sox ripped off the White Sox...I think I'll trust their opinions over a bunch of armchair GM's.  Peavey has been a great teamate and a fighter on the mound.  We need that BAD and now we have it.  Iggy has come crashing down to earth with his AVG dropping 100 points and his ENTIRE body of work shows that he is simply not a good hitter.  We are deep at SS and have one of the best prospects in all of MLB ready to step in full time next year!!  I liked Iggy's D as much as anybody but as a GM is on record as saying "The Sox parlayed 2 lucky months by Iggy into a number 2 starter"......

[/QUOTE]

CWS got basically nothing unless what Detroit gave them works out...From us? We gave CWS what amounts to 2 future relief pitchers and a future utility infielder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Bogey and Middy, with Cecchini just about ready is my guess.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Very bad deal. Peavy is a decent starting pitcher.

The Red Sox do seem to have a lot of depth at shortstop, I just don't see Peavy as anything special. 

I agree 100%. It looks like they finally have have SS after years of the revolving door but they just threw it away over some washed up # 4 pitcher.

Beautiful. The curse of Theo continues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to djbosox2004's comment:

I agree 100%. It looks like they finally have have SS after years of the revolving door but they just threw it away over some washed up # 4 pitcher.

Uh ... Theo?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I like it. If this is the case, Sox should not lolligag, they should bring up Bogaerts now, and put him in the same situation as Iggy was this year. Get him ready, start getting that mental toughness. Pennant drive best time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to djbosox2004's comment:

[QUOTE]

Uh ... Theo?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I scratched my head on that one too...Kinda takes away from the validity of the comment. Not that it had any to begin with seeing that they have a top #3 prospect in all of baseball ready to step in the SS position FT starting next year...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I like it. If this is the case, Sox should not lolligag, they should bring up Bogaerts now, and put him in the same situation as Iggy was this year. Get him ready, start getting that mental toughness. Pennant drive best time.

[/QUOTE]

They have been playing Bogey 5-6 games at SS then 1 at 3b, so in case something like this happened he would be somewhat prepared. He will be here at some point. For now Brock Holt will play 3b until after the dealine and they work out all the roster spots. then we will either see Middy or Bogey at 3b if they dont go get a Michael Young or someone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Oh no don`t trade my Bogie or Iggy, wah wah wah. Peavy is here, get over it you babies

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

...From us? We gave CWS what amounts to 2 future relief pitchers and a future utility infielder.

+ salary relief...FWIW

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Sox decade long SS merry-go-round continues...

Sox4ever

The must like Bogey and/or Marrero better than Iggy...They certainly are determined to have a revolving door at SS though arent they?

[/QUOTE]

It appears that way, but I am not too high On Boggy's fielding at SS and liked the idea of him at 3B. That may have ended up logjamming 3rd if Cecchini continues to rocket to the top.

After sleeping on this trade, it makes more sense than I originally felt, but I can't help but lament for what I had wished for over so many years is now gone: a great fielding full time SS for several years.

I'm glad we didn't have to part with Boggy, Cecchini, Owens, JBJ or Ranaudo. We didn't even have to lose Workman, Webster, DLR, Barnes or Swihart. We got 1.3 years instead of 0.3 years. 

It all comes down to health and years of team control on how this trade will be judged years from now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

...From us? We gave CWS what amounts to 2 future relief pitchers and a future utility infielder.

+ salary relief...FWIW

[/QUOTE]

Yup, that too. Im thinking the Sox could very well go over the 189M next year, which is fine because they will reset again in 2015.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I liked the way Holt played here on last call up. On West Coast trip got key Clutch hits. I have no problems with him up here. I doubt we go after Young now, at least it would surprise me. If anything see if good value at relievers.

Conteras and Lyons still in Pawtucket too, those were good depth signings, with Veteran leadership. I'm betting one or both will have an impact before season is over.

Sections
Shortcuts