Cabrera & Fielder should feel guilty collecting their salaries.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Cabrera & Fielder should feel guilty collecting their salaries.

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

If the yankees had a single top prospect you would had seen him this past season. 

They need a 3B.  Do they call up a kid?  No they sign Youk.  Youk goes down.  Do they call up a kid?  No, they give the job to Adams.  He fails and they give to Nix.  He fails and they like their "SS of the future" over there.  Not once did they call up an Iglessias a Middlebrooks, or a Boeggarts.  Pathetic. 

Look at 1B.  They need one and they have no one to call up.  So they take Overbay who was a retread that was cut by the Red Sox. 

They needed a LF and they trade for Wells who no one wanted.  They didn't call up a Jackie Bradley or find a Daniel Nava.  And when Wells crapped out do they call up any young studs?  Nope.  They deal for another overpaid player that no one wanted in Soriano.

Their bull pen was horrible.  Who did they call up to help out there?  It goes on and on but if the yankees had any farm system at all, you would had seen at least one position player and one pitcher light it up and be in the ROY discussions.  You didn't.  They are toast.  Welcome back to the 80's yankee fans!!!

The Yankees farm is weak, but that doesn't mean they don't have anyone.  Just because someone is a top prospect doesn't mean they are able to contribute to the bigs right away.  

Everyone in here knows I'm an avid follower of the minor leagues.  a couple years ago the consensus in baseball was the Sox had a lot of talent, but that talent was far away and in the lower minors.  There is a good chance a lot of those guys go bust as proximity to the majors is something to weigh, but low and behold when that talent perculated to the top we became one of the best farms systems in about a year.

The Yankees farm system is a lot like that right now.  They have talent there, but the upper levels are barron.  But like I said Gary Sanchez could headline a trade for a top talent.

Look at the Roy Halladay trade as a precedent.  Halladay had a reputation of pitching well, and Scherzer is coming off of a career year so the argument should be made that a lesser haul should bring in sherzer.

The Philly's gave up Travis D arnuad (81) Kyle Drabek (25) and Brett Wallace (40) and Michael Taylor (27) and Got Back Halladay and the 93 ranked prospect who fell from #15 in phillippe aumont. + 3 other players.

Michael Pineada was at one point a #5 pitching prospect in all of baseball, and while he's missed a season due to injury that is in no way an indictment in the talent and years of cost control he holds.

So if you were to add him to Gary Sanchez (34) Raphael De Paula (45) and Mason Williams who was 32 but fell out of the mid season top 50 but will likely still be in the top 100, it probably wouldn't take much more to land that kind of talent.  Possibly adding a Jose Campos and David Phelps would be on par with the talent level to get it done.

I'm not saying that will happen, as a matter of fact I'd be willing to bet my life it WOULDN'T happen.  And that is in no way an indictment on that fact that NY has a weak farm system, because they do.

I also am aware that that package would not be on par with Detriots needs, but if the Yankees really wanted to unload the talent the do have in their farm system they could get someone of that caliber. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Red Sox still have Xander Bogaerts, Drake Britton, brandon Workman, JBJ, Will Middlebrooks, Garrin Cecchini, Matt barnes in their system a few years ago and they were in no condition to help the ball club.  

The Yankees system is weak, but they do have talent, and most of their talent is in the lower levels. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The Red Sox still have Xander Bogaerts, Drake Britton, brandon Workman, JBJ, Will Middlebrooks, Garrin Cecchini, Matt barnes in their system a few years ago and they were in no condition to help the ball club.  

The Yankees system is weak, but they do have talent, and most of their talent is in the lower levels. 

if i am the yankees GM, i punt on 2014, build up the farm in any way i can (sell sell sell) and regroup after 2014 with a reset luxury tax (aka money to spend), a rejuvinated farm system (additions from trades as well as the current prospects being 1 year closer to the bigs). the FA class 2 seasons from now is a good one.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/2015-mlb-free-agents.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

if i am the yankees GM, i punt on 2014, build up the farm in any way i can (sell sell sell) and regroup after 2014 with a reset luxury tax (aka money to spend), a rejuvinated farm system (additions from trades as well as the current prospects being 1 year closer to the bigs). the FA class 2 seasons from now is a good one.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/2015-mlb-free-agents.html

I agree, I think they would be dumb to trade away the farm.  Because even if they have the chips to bring in one guy, they'd still have way to many holes to fill with no one coming in to fill them. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yes, but Cashman will never do that and furthermore, he doesn't know HOW to do that

and again, if the yankees had any talent in the minors you would had seen at least one guy contribute this year and you did not

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

yes, but Cashman will never do that and furthermore, he doesn't know HOW to do that

and again, if the yankees had any talent in the minors you would had seen at least one guy contribute this year and you did not

I agree I don't think Cashman would do that.  And I disagree with your last statment.

The fact that the Yankees didn't have anyone to bring up doesn't mean that they didn't have anyone in their minor league system.

Bryon Buxton is the consensus #1 prospect in all of baseball, ahead of even Xander Bogaerts and you didn't see the Twins bring him up.  Miguel Sano was a consensus top 5, and probably on par with Bogaerts talent wise, you didn't see the twins bring him up, you didn't see them bring up Pinto or Meyer 

But yet the Twins arguabley have the most talented farm system in ALL of baseball.

Your talking about proximity to the majors and not ceiling, tools, and raw talent.

both are factors in evaluating a system and a prospect, but they are differing factors. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

the problem with the Yankees system is they need cheap major league ready talent right now (as they want to get under the $189MM threshhold).  not 4-5 years from now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I agree I don't think Cashman would do that.  And I disagree with your last statment.

The fact that the Yankees didn't have anyone to bring up doesn't mean that they didn't have anyone in their minor league system.

Bryon Buxton is the consensus #1 prospect in all of baseball, ahead of even Xander Bogaerts and you didn't see the Twins bring him up.  Miguel Sano was a consensus top 5, and probably on par with Bogaerts talent wise, you didn't see the twins bring him up, you didn't see them bring up Pinto or Meyer 

But yet the Twins arguabley have the most talented farm system in ALL of baseball.

Your talking about proximity to the majors and not ceiling, tools, and raw talent.

both are factors in evaluating a system and a prospect, but they are differing factors. 

The Twins?  How can you make that comparison.  Were the Twins trying to get to the playoffs?  Did the Twins have the # of injuries the yankees had?  All I am asking for is, based on their situation in 2013, that you would have seen ONE, just 1, the smallest possible integer, rookie step up and contibute.  You didn't.  They got nothing going on.

If you want, look at the Cards.  How many rookies have carried them to the big dance? 

Yankees will be worse in 2014 and I believe the Sox will be better. 

The best is yet to come.  First, we secure our place back as Baseball Royalty, and then we can kick sand in the faces of the big bullies in da bronx............meanwhile, these forums are down to a single yankee fan.........Thank you Mr Cashman!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The point is you don't evaluate a farm system just because a guy isn't ready to produce right away.  If the Twins were competing that doesn't mean Byron Buxton would be in the majors this year.

The Yankees have talent. they just don't have two things.  They don't have a lot of it, and they don't have a lot of older MLB ready talent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

And the Cards have a better player development program.  They have talent at all levels of the minors as well.  They don't draft guys and throw them right into the bigs.

There is a whole world of minor league ball.  From the domincan league leagues to the rookie leagues, to low A, High A, short season ball, double A, triple A. 

Just because you don't have someone able to come up and help your team right away doesn't mean you don't have any talent in the minors, it does mean you have no talent in the upper minors.

The Yankees had about 3-1 ranked prospects to the redsox below High A according to BA league rankings, they also were considered to have one of the best drafts in all of baseball.  And Gary Sanchez (while not Bogaerts status) is pretty close to a blue chipper.

Yes their system isn't very good, but they have talent in there.....you don't know what you're talking about here. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Twins comparison still stands, because if the Twins were competing this year I guarantee you wouldn't see Buxton in the big leagues....that was my point.

Buxton is the #1 prospect in all of baseball, and has been regarded as one of the better #1 from baseball America in over a decade after Harper....That doesn't mean the Twins would take a 18 year old and throw him into a playoff run....and that would in no way be an indictment on his prospect status.

I'm willing to bet you know very little to NOTHING on the Yankees prospects other than the fact that you probably read a couple articles on how weak their system is and got all giddy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

And I'm in no way shape or form saying they have a good system, I'm just saying they have some guys.  And if prospect rankings serve as any precedent they hypothetically could trade for a big piece. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Everybody has SOME guys.  All I wanted to see was ONE guy.  I didn't.  Their future looks bleak at best right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Everybody has SOME guys.  All I wanted to see was ONE guy.  I didn't.  Their future looks bleak at best right now.

yes, their near distant future looks bleak because they have half a roster to fill and all their good prospects are probably 2-3 years away.  Lets not forget that often when a guy is 2-3 years away they might actually be 4-5 years away from being meaningful every day players.

Where were all the Red Sox prospects last year? Workman was there, Britton was there, Bogaerts was there. But they weren't ready.

If you go back and read what Yankee fans thought of our system 2 years ago, they made fun of it calling it weak....only because they didn't see anyone coming out of it and completely discounted the high end talent in the lower levels working their way up.  Now they would kill for a Boagerts in their system. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Yankees lower minors are much better than the higher minors.

They alway do decent in the internation market where the new CBA rules are much weaker in the stateside draft.

They will alway spend at or above the luxury tax.

In several years Arod/Sabathia and Teixeiras contracts will be gone.

The Yankees may be in trouble for a few years, but after a few years they should be just fine. 

We've waited forever for them to stink so enjoy it while it lasts. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9845063/sources-say-new-york-yankees-go-offseason-shopping-spree

NEW YORK -- While all the talk to begin the offseason is about the New York Yankees' stated desire to cut the yearly payroll to $189 million, the front office is devising a plan that could have the team going on a $300 million shopping spree, sources have told ESPNNewYork.com.

The Yankees will begin their organization meetings Monday where they will settle on a strategy that they believe can cut payroll to $189 million while spending big on free agents.

The Yankees' initial main targets are expected to include their own Robinson Cano, Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka, Atlanta Braves catcher Brian McCann and St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, according to sources.

The possible outlay of $300 million or more in total salary is similar to the number commonly associated with the winter of 2008-09, when the Yankees spent $423 million on CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira and A.J. Burnett over the lives of their multiyear contracts.

The Yankees think they can add at least two top free agents this winter and remain under team owner Hal Steinbrenner's goal of reducing total salaries to less than $189 million. Steinbrenner has said he would like to reduce the team's luxury tax and revenue sharing numbers so that he can reinvest the money instead of paying out to smaller markets.

Here's how they can do it:

• A source said the Yankees are shedding around $85 million to $90 million in payroll from their 2013 numbers, which includes the salaries of retiring players Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte as well as Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Curtis Granderson becoming free agents. The Yankees have a strong interest in Kuroda returning and would be amenable to Granderson if he took the one-year qualifying offer.

Derek Jeter has a player option that he can pick up that will drop his salary from $17 million to $9.5 million.

• Outfielders Vernon Wells and Alfonso Soriano will be paid nearly $44 million next season but only a fraction of it will be paid by the Yankees because of trade agreements with the Los Angeles Angels and the Chicago Cubs, respectively.

• If Alex Rodriguez's suspension is upheld, the Yankees would not be charged with the up-to-$31 million that he's due next season. Rodriguez's contract calls for $25 million, but can add an extra $6 million if he hits six more homers and ties Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time list with 660. The bonus would count toward the luxury tax.

The offseason spending begins with Cano. The Yankees want to retain him and know the bidding could exceed $190 million. If it does and they keep Cano, they will be two-thirds of the way to the $300 million mark.

The estimated amount of Cano's salary for 2014 would be in the $20-25 million range, which the Yankees believe would fall within the $189 million in total of salaries for next season.

Tanaka, a 24-year-old right-hander, would then become a key component of the Yankees' offseason plan, sources said. The team is expected to make a "strong bid," according to one official with knowledge of the team's thinking.

Tanaka, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA in Japan last season, is expected to be posted this winter for major league teams to bid on. If the Yankees win the bidding -- which could be higher than Yu Darvish's $51.7 million -- the Yankees would then hope to sign Tanaka for close to the same deal that Darvish received from the Texas Rangers (six years, $10 million per season).

While it would almost definitely cost the Yankees more than $100 million in total money, the posting fee doesn't count against the Yankees' salaries. So, in effect, the Yankees could replace Pettitte's $12 million salary with Tanaka's estimated $10 million for the sake of luxury tax.

A source said the Yankees realize that Tanaka would also demonstrate Steinbrenner's stated goal to reinvest the savings from falling beneath the $189 million threshold.

While Cano and Tanaka appear to be the Yankees' top two targets, they also have interest in McCann and Beltran, among others. McCann is the top catcher on the market and could land a deal in the range of five years and $75 million. A general manager told ESPNNewYork.com that he could see McCann receiving a contract for six years and $100 million because of his ability to transition to first base at the end of the deal.

The left-handed hitting McCann could replace the offense behind the plate that the Yankees lost when Russell Martin signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates last winter.

Beltran, who will be 37 at the start of next season, is completing a two-year, $26 million contract with St. Louis. Before he signed his seven-year, $118 million contract with the New York Mets in 2005, Beltran offered to take less money to go to the Bronx. The Yankees declined. Now, depending on how the offseason unfolds, he will be on their radar.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If the Sox packaged up guys like Raunado/Owens/Britton + a few lower high ceiling guys like Mercedes and Margot we could land a Scherzer type talent and still have Webster, RDLR, Barnes and ball in our system.

The Yankees have the pieces to pull off a trade, they just don't have the depth to absorb it and still have guys ready to come up in a year or two. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yes, their near distant future looks bleak because they have half a roster to fill and all their good prospects are probably 2-3 years away.  Lets not forget that often when a guy is 2-3 years away they might actually be 4-5 years away from being meaningful every day players.

Where were all the Red Sox prospects last year? Workman was there, Britton was there, Bogaerts was there. But they weren't ready.

If you go back and read what Yankee fans thought of our system 2 years ago, they made fun of it calling it weak....only because they didn't see anyone coming out of it and completely discounted the high end talent in the lower levels working their way up.  Now they would kill for a Boagerts in their system. 

forget about the past.  i am talking about now. the yankees didn't have one rookie make an impact this season and they had a whole bunch of openings.......not one.  that's all i am asking for.  1.  Today.  Now. 1.  didn't happen.  and what is Cashman's plan for 2014?  to sign free agents!  like Carlos Beltran.  and re-up on Cano for a record setting deal.  if he had a farm he'd let the farm fill those slots.  they are pretty barren.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

forget about the past.  i am talking about now. the yankees didn't have one rookie make an impact this season and they had a whole bunch of openings.......not one.  that's all i am asking for.  1.  Today.  Now. 1.  didn't happen.  and what is Cashman's plan for 2014?  to sign free agents!  like Carlos Beltran.  and re-up on Cano for a record setting deal.  if he had a farm he'd let the farm fill those slots.  they are pretty barren.....

Like I said before Proximity to the majors and ceiling are two different things.  A system can have a lot of high ceiling, high end talent, but be very young and not ready to fill in.  That doesn't make the system weak.  I guess for argument purposes we can say it makes it weak on the top heavy side, which the Yankees system definitely is.

It sounded before like you were saying the Yankees didn't have any prospects and couldn't trade for a good player if they wanted too. That is just false.

You are right that there system is weak, barron at the top, and does not match up well for a team that needs to fill a lot of holes.

Trust me I'm as excited as anyone to see them stink next year, and hope the prospects they do have go bust.  And some may very well go bust.  an A-level prospect in the lower minors is not worth as much as an A-level prospect in the higher minors as they are more risky.

One reason why the Sox system has become so strong is more prospects than usuall seemed to have increased or held their value moving through the system.  If the same thing were to happen to the Yankees with all the toolsy guys they have in Low A and below their system will be very scary good in a few years and right around the time they will be looking to unload a BOATLOAD of money from their books as well.

The good news is that is rare, and a lot of those guys they have in their system now will likely go bust in a few years.  But that is in no way an indictment on their prospect status now and doesn't mean they don't have the chips to pull off a trade....because they do. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Like I said before Proximity to the majors and ceiling are two different things.  A system can have a lot of high ceiling, high end talent, but be very young and not ready to fill in.  That doesn't make the system weak.  I guess for argument purposes we can say it makes it weak on the top heavy side, which the Yankees system definitely is.

It sounded before like you were saying the Yankees didn't have any prospects and couldn't trade for a good player if they wanted too. That is just false.

You are right that there system is weak, barron at the top, and does not match up well for a team that needs to fill a lot of holes.

Trust me I'm as excited as anyone to see them stink next year, and hope the prospects they do have go bust.  And some may very well go bust.  an A-level prospect in the lower minors is not worth as much as an A-level prospect in the higher minors as they are more risky.

One reason why the Sox system has become so strong is more prospects than usuall seemed to have increased or held their value moving through the system.  If the same thing were to happen to the Yankees with all the toolsy guys they have in Low A and below their system will be very scary good in a few years and right around the time they will be looking to unload a BOATLOAD of money from their books as well.

The good news is that is rare, and a lot of those guys they have in their system now will likely go bust in a few years.  But that is in no way an indictment on their prospect status now and doesn't mean they don't have the chips to pull off a trade....because they do. 

Player Development and trades are not exactly Cashman's strong suit.  Now if you are talking about handing free agents blank checks, there is no one better in the game.  And we all know what a challenge it is to sign your name at the bottom of a piece of paper...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Cabrera has nothing to feel guilty about. He has a groin injury that might have shelved other lesser players, but he played the entire series and gave it his best effort. A consumate pro. As for Fielder, he slumped at the wrong time and over his last few years he's obviously not been a prime time player.

Hetch 

Amen. Though Fielder is deserving of criticism, Cabrera was clearly playing hurt. Don't know whether the Sox could have won this series if the Tigers had a healthy Cabrera. 

Definitely agree.  The Red Sox probably would have lost if Cabrera was healthy. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Cabrera has nothing to feel guilty about. He has a groin injury that might have shelved other lesser players, but he played the entire series and gave it his best effort. A consumate pro. As for Fielder, he slumped at the wrong time and over his last few years he's obviously not been a prime time player.

Hetch 

Amen. Though Fielder is deserving of criticism, Cabrera was clearly playing hurt. Don't know whether the Sox could have won this series if the Tigers had a healthy Cabrera. 

Definitely agree.  The Red Sox probably would have lost if Cabrera was healthy. 

Naw.......if Miggy was healthy, they would had pitched around him.  It would had been up to Fielder.  Fielder failed miserably.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

reality is nobody knows what truly could have happened if Miggy was healthy. 

Maybe he wouldn't have done anything.

Maybe he would have 2-3 more HR's and 5 more RBI's and the Tigers would have taken the series.

Maybe he would have that added production but it would have came in their two wins.

Perhaps he pushes the series to a game 7.

We just don't know.

What would have happened if Middlebrooks, Salty, Drew, or Napoli got really hot? or two of them got really hot?

What if Bailey and Hanarhan stayed healthy and pitched like the late inning all-stars they once were????

What if Drew went down in August and Bogaerts was a starter at this point and was playing at a premium level???

we just don't know.

It very well could have changed the series, or he may have put up some more numbers with little to no impact at all. 

You play em for a reason.  And you don't get this far by who losses, or how they lose.  It's all about winning at this point.  We could have hoped for the Dodgers or the Braves, or Maybe St. Louis is the team we want to play but you can't get this far without having a very tough team in front of you.

In some ways it felt like we got beat around in the ALCS but we still came out in 6 games, not 7.  If Detriot edged this series out they would probably feel the same way considering how the games were played.

This is playoff baseball people....lets enjoy it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Maybe he would have 2-3 more HR's and 5 more RBI's and the Tigers would have taken the series.

Maybe he would have that added production but it would have came in their two wins.

We just don't know.

What would have happened if Middlebrooks, Salty, Drew, or Napoli got really hot? or two of them got really hot?

What if Bailey and Hanarhan stayed healthy and pitched like the late inning all-stars they once were????

What if Drew went down in August and Bogaerts was a starter at this point and was playing at a premium level???

we just don't know.

It very well could have changed the series, or he may have put up some more numbers with little to no impact at all. 

You play em for a reason.  And you don't get this far by who losses, or how they lose.  It's all about winning at this point.  We could have hoped for the Dodgers or the Braves, or Maybe St. Louis is the team we want to play but you can't get this far without having a very tough team in front of you.

In some ways it felt like we got beat around in the ALCS but we still came out in 6 games, not 7.  If Detriot edged this series out they would probably feel the same way considering how the games were played.

sure we do.....If Cabrera was healthy no way the Sox pitchers attack him.  They walk him.  The next factor is how did the guy behind him look this series? Answer.  Terrible.  Therefore, we still most likely win.  Can I prove it?  Nope, impossible.  But basic logic supports the premise.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We just don't know.

we just don't know.

sure we do.....If Cabrera was healthy no way the Sox pitchers attack him.  They walk him.  The next factor is how did the guy behind him look this series? Answer.  Terrible.  Therefore, we still most likely win.  Can I prove it?  Nope, impossible.  But basic logic supports the premise.

Basic logic does not support the outcome, because with such a thin margin in this series and between every game to begin with you can't predict with 100% certainty when you change the variables.  

If one variable is changed, we don't know with 100% confidence that every card falls exactly the same.  The sequence of pitches change, everything changes. 

We just don't know.  I'd bet we'd still win the series.....but we can't say with absolute confidence that that would be the outcome. 

Sections
Shortcuts