Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling."

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling."

This goes directly to what I have always speculated was the biggest clubhouse problem, JD Drew.  Going into this year the guy had collected 56 million dollars from this team and it was clear by May that he had very little interest in being on the field.  A series of vague injuries and he basically collects 14 million for being on the DL.  Other guys clearly take notice of this.

Drew is a top paid guy and a veteran player, for him to coast like he has for 2 years now is horrible for the culture of that clubhouse. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Lack of intensity from the vets definitley rubs off on the younger players. I've already noticed it from guys like Lowrie, Reddick, and to some extent, even Ells.
    The veterans need to set the example and it's not happening.
    There is absolutely no leadership on this team, and that's why they did not make the PS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think we all, or at least some of us, saw long in advanced that Drew's final year of contract being nothing more than a pre-retirement year for him.  Whoever referred to him as the next Mickey Mantle should be shunned from the game forever........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"LET ME BE CLEAR".......  WE ARE 5 DAYS AWAY FROM "TRANSFORMING THE BOSTON RED SOX ROSTER"  !!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling.":
    [QUOTE]   "LET ME BE CLEAR".......  WE ARE 5 DAYS AWAY FROM "TRANSFORMING THE BOSTON RED SOX ROSTER"  !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Bill. I don't believe that many roster changes are necessary. As much as you like Theo, I think a change of GM is paramount. Then the weeding out of instigators (Youk, Papi, Pap, perhaps).
    When there is strife anywhere, it makes it difficult for there to be comraderie, and you saw drop-offs in performance from some very good players.

Is Francona to blame? As the manager, yes he is. He is responsible for not only getting the team ready to play, but also for motivating them and keeping the clubhouse harmonious.
    He failed, IMO, in all three areas.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling." : Bill. I don't believe that many roster changes are necessary. As much as you like Theo, I think a change of GM is paramount. Then the weeding out of instigators (Youk, Papi, Pap, perhaps). When there is strife anywhere, it makes it difficult for there to be comraderie, and you saw drop-offs in performance from some very good players. Is Francona to blame? As the manager, yes he is. He is responsible for not only getting the team ready to play, but also for motivating them and keeping the clubhouse harmonious. He failed, IMO, in all three areas.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

The problem with Francona was he allowed the players to be responsible for themselves and it was usually the players who policed themselves...the team was stripped of all it's leaders in the clubhouse one by one...Varitek as captain was a figurehead that did not take on the role as he should have.

I believe guys like Schilling, Lowell, Damon, VMart were key guys to keep the others in line...seems that Theo washed his hands of all his leaders and expected guys like Pedroia, Gonzalez and Ortiz, along with Lester to take over...needless to say they didn't step up for whatever reasons.

Hopefully the next Sox manager will still be a players manager, but with strict rules about how his players condition themselves and play the game...he'll cover their backs when they slip up but they'll know they screwed up. They'll be no more drinking during games and players will have pre-game requirements for conditioning.

Who is that magical manager?? Tony Pena, Ryne Sandberg? I think an ex-player might get the best player response.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

Lack of professionalism.
    Can anyone here deny that those words describe Theo Epstein to a T?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling." : The problem with Francona was he allowed the players to be responsible for themselves and it was usually the players who policed themselves...the team was stripped of all it's leaders in the clubhouse one by one...Varitek as captain was a figurehead that did not take on the role as he should have. I believe guys like Schilling, Lowell, Damon, VMart were key guys to keep the others in line...seems that Theo washed his hands of all his leaders and expected guys like Pedroia, Gonzalez and Ortiz, along with Lester to take over...needless to say they didn't step up for whatever reasons. Hopefully the next Sox manager will still be a players manager, but with strict rules about how his players condition themselves and play the game...he'll cover their backs when they slip up but they'll know they screwed up. They'll be no more drinking during games and players will have pre-game requirements for conditioning. Who is that magical manager?? Tony Pena, Ryne Sandberg? I think an ex-player might get the best player response.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

I still thinK TE had way too much control, and if he's allowed to remain, and choose the new manager, we may dee much of the same.
    I think Francona's frustration stemmed from a GM who micro-manages and is too involved in day-to-day operations. Tito was just finally fed up with it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling.":
    [QUOTE]by Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe Here’s the mailbag: You said in last week's column that the "lack of professionalism was startling." Beyond the alleged beer drinking by the Sox pitchers and lack of conditioning, what specifics prompted you to make that statement? Thanks. Thomas, Grafton, Mass. Things like not getting back on the field unless you’re 100 percent physically. That happens way too much with this team. You’ve got to get out there at 70 percent or 80 percent. Show that you want to play. Show some passion in what you do for a living. So many guys take their God-given talent for granted. You’ve been given a gift – use it. Guys who don’t run out ground balls drive me crazy. Say what you want about A-Rod. Do you see how hard he runs down the line on every ground ball? Derek Jeter? Jorge Posada? Johnny Damon? Have a pulse and at least give the fans and the team everything you’ve got.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

I also read an article suggesting there didn't seem to be any chemistry all year between Pede and Adrian.  It stated, they may just have different personalities because Adrian is so laid back compared to the little guy, or they may not like eachother.

I found that pretty interesting!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling." : I still thinK TE had way too much control, and if he's allowed to remain, and choose the new manager, we may dee much of the same. I think Francona's frustration stemmed from a GM who micro-manages and is too involved in day-to-day operations. Tito was just finally fed up with it.

Ding Ding Ding!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]Lack of intensity from the vets definitley rubs off on the younger players. I've already noticed it from guys like Lowrie, Reddick, and to some extent, even Ells. The veterans need to set the example and it's not happening. There is absolutely no leadership on this team, and that's why they did not make the PS.

where did you see that from Ellsbury????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling." : I still thinK TE had way too much control, and if he's allowed to remain, and choose the new manager, we may dee much of the same. I think Francona's frustration stemmed from a GM who micro-manages and is too involved in day-to-day operations. Tito was just finally fed up with it.

I tend to agree with this sentiment.  It feels like Francona was managing within the philosophy that Epstein outlines, meaning Tito's role is in many way carrying out the bigger picture plan from the dugout.  The problem of course is it seems Theo et al, have lost the bigger picture plan.

I wish Francona hadn't been so player and management friendly this year and simply ran JD Drew out there everyday and let him go 11-100 for the month and when he was asked about it in post game press conferences he should have said "this guy gets paid 14 million to be our RF".  Instead of always protecting Drew when asked Drew injury status questions, Tito should have said, "if it were up to me he'd be in the line-up tonight."

Same with Lackey, when it was the third inning and Lackey had given up 6 runs, Tito should have left him in till the 6th inning and maybe 11 runs and when asked about it he should have said "this guy gets 15 million, I think he should be able to pitch us into the 6th inning." 

Instead Tito is left literallly managing around the high priced talent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]This goes directly to what I have always speculated was the biggest clubhouse problem, JD Drew.  Going into this year the guy had collected 56 million dollars from this team and it was clear by May that he had very little interest in being on the field.  A series of vague injuries and he basically collects 14 million for being on the DL.  Other guys clearly take notice of this. Drew is a top paid guy and a veteran player, for him to coast like he has for 2 years now is horrible for the culture of that clubhouse. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with the J.D. Drew comments!  His COMPLETE LACK OF RESPECT FOR HIS TEAM & MOREOVER THE SPORT, will be the epitaph on his RS burial headstone.

As happy as I was with the way Beckett came to pitch for most of this year, I fear that he was another who simply gave up & went with the malcontents??? 

The complete lack of focus & dedication seemed evident from the outset of this season.  As far back as Spring Training!  Many, especially the starting pitchers, seemed completely unprepared?  I AM PROFOUNDLY CURIOUS AS TO WHY!!!!!  The complete collapse of this much vaunted pitching staff IS CRYSTAL CLEAR, & has been harped on ad nosium!  WE NEED TO FIND OUT WHY THIS HAPPENED?????  WHY THE LACK OF PREPARATION????  Did Tito & HIS pitching coaches try to get this under control???

No doubt there were a number of position players who lacked focus also.  Theirs however seemed to be born more out of benign neglect, as opposed to the conscious "s c r e w it" attitude I think existed with the pitchers????  The position players seemed to fall asleep on an inning by inning basis!  Running the base paths was a black comedy of errors!  It seemed to be every inning of every game, where a different runner would make a bone headed decision.  It also seemed to be contagious!  Some guys were obviously trying to do too much, but others really didn't seem to care???

Perhaps the specific PLAYERS who were at the core of this apathy is less important than why it clearly developed?????  There is NO DOUBT that Tito lost control!  Why doesn't really matter?  OR does it!  what culture developed where apathy became so endemic to the entire club?  Were some indigenous RS players, who had come up through the farm, bitter with the big money / zero production of a Crawford?  Did some feel, "hey!  We brought you the WS in 07, & you thank us by giving some FA bust the big $$$$????  Perhaps Craw felt this more than any other player???? WHO KNOWS?? Whatever the real story, Tito lost control, & the TEAM tanked! Love him, but he had to go! Something went terribly wrong with this team, & I think injuries were simply a by product of whatever went wrong in the clubhouse! Apathy------ lack of focus-------- lack of serious training & preparation------- injuries-------- a complete collapse of the entire pitching staff ----------- a lack of focus by everyone on the field --------- a complete & utter collapse of the entire TEAM!

Is "professionalism" a big part of that?  YES!  Was "professionalism" the ROOT of the PROBLEM?????   Of course not!!!!!

The RS owners & FO must get to the ROOT of the PROBLEM! To focus on "professionalism" or a lack thereof, is to completely miss the REAL PROBLEM!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling." : I tend to agree with this sentiment.  It feels like Francona was managing within the philosophy that Epstein outlines, meaning Tito's role is in many way carrying out the bigger picture plan from the dugout.  The problem of course is it seems Theo et al, have lost the bigger picture plan. I wish Francona hadn't been so player and management friendly this year and simply ran JD Drew out there everyday and let him go 11-100 for the month and when he was asked about it in post game press conferences he should have said "this guy gets paid 14 million to be our RF".  Instead of always protecting Drew when asked Drew injury status questions, Tito should have said, "if it were up to me he'd be in the line-up tonight."  Same with Lackey, when it was the third inning and Lackey had given up 6 runs, Tito should have left him in till the 6th inning and maybe 11 runs and when asked about it he should have said "this guy gets 15 million, I think he should be able to pitch us into the 6th inning."  Instead Tito is left literallly managing around the high priced talent.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Ding Ding Ding!

Army Strong

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling." : where did you see that from Ellsbury????
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

All of 2010.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Don't get lost in the weeds!!!  This is not about "professionalism!"

The lack of professionalism is but a symptom!  NOT the underlying cause of this CRASH!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling." : I also read an article suggesting there didn't seem to be any chemistry all year between Pede and Adrian.  It stated, they may just have different personalities because Adrian is so laid back compared to the little guy, or they may not like eachother. I found that pretty interesting!
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I read this too.  My question is: Who Cares?

Honestly. 2 players.  Who cares if the quiet first baseman might "like" the scrappy second baseman?  In what universe does the "chemistry" between the first and second baseman make the slightest bit of difference?

The roster is 25 players, right?  And people are asking about the "chemistry" between the first and second baseman??  Remember 2004? Schilling, the 20 game winner and Damon, the stud CF, HATED each other.  Chemistry bewteen 2 players?

Puh-leeeze.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

What about the so-called leader David Ortiz who only runs when he sniffs a hit? How is that for leadership. Manny Ramirez was raked over the coals for that yet Ortiz has been getting away with it for years. Sends the wrong message to the rest of the team & does not seem to be the type of leadership this organization needs.

Lets not even get into the calling out your manager in the last month of the season regarding the rotation or publically throwing a tantrum because the official scorer took away an RBI from you.

You want to start calling out the "malcontents" in that clubhouse you can pretty well start with "Big Papi."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling." : All of 2010.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Yes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Ellsbury was the likely number one clubhouse problem. What he did in 2010 and returned as a lower SB swing for pull power and play balls off the wall and almost never dive is consitent with the detached year to year contract seeker.

Bottom line, the General Manager assembled a team that was primarly bought and paid from FA busts like Lackey and Crawford and Jenks and there was no team unity and leadership by example.

The good news is that the entertainment boy blue may be heade dout the door, which gets rid of the #1 problem.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury was the likely number one clubhouse problem. What he did in 2010 and returned as a lower SB swing for pull power and play balls off the wall and almost never dive is consitent with the detached year to year contract seeker. Bottom line, the General Manager assembled a team that was primarly bought and paid from FA busts like Lackey and Crawford and Jenks and there was no team unity and leadership by example. The good news is that the entertainment boy blue may be heade dout the door, which gets rid of the #1 problem.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Bye Bye Boy Blunder (Epstein)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Softlaw continues to play his assignment from the backroom of the Globe"

Devil's Advocate
    Contrarian
    Controversial
    Full of it.
    Troll

All in an effort to bring traffic into the forum.
    Ignore him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cafardo:"lack of professionalism was startling." : All of 2010.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

No doubt that 2010 was a lost season for Ells. He sure made up for it this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Damon and Schilling hated each other! Where is the proof?