Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade.

In Response to Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade.:
    Nick Cafardo said Aviles and Punto don't have the range to be starting. The Sox will watch Iglesias during spring training. Cafardo doesn't buy the idea of those two sharing the shortstop position. Cafardo said on Red Sox Hot Stove Live on NESN that Don Orsillo had more range than Aviles and Punto.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Why not point out that Scutaro has worse range than Aviles/Punto?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade.

BOBBY V. KNOWS THE VALUE OF A GOOOOOD GLOVE & WHAT IT MEANS TO THE ERA OF THE STAFF...... HECK, TO GIVE TEAMS EXTRA OUTS IS JUST "DESPICABLE" !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox may also show improvement for holding runners and throwing out runners stealing with a new coaching regime. Francona had a few methods that stood the test of time through a few pitching coaches--we'll see if the change matters.

There may also be more use of stacking fielders against dead pull opposing hitters--always used against Ortiz, Drew and Salty in addition to others.

Having Iggy as SS will hopefully keep balls on the left side from getting through especially with runners on second and his arm strength on relays home may make 3 b coaches a little more cautious when waiving runners.

We all know defense and pitching wins games. Just a couple of games here and there can make a difference in the final standings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

mazz made comment that maybe RS are looking to expand a possible Gavin Floyd trade? He thought Gordon Beckham is guy RS might be interested not Alexi Rameriz, believing Beckham can get back to player he was rookie yr [was terrible last 2]. Still only 25 but Alexi seems to be safer pick though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Gonna hate seeing our starting SS hitting below .200, dont care how good his defense is. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

We have plenty of shortstop talent now. Punto and Aviles can fill in adequately until mid-May when Iglesias can be brought up without counting as a full ML year.
    Imo, the value of Iglesias's glove in run prevention, fewer outs wasted = fewer pitches = less bullpen work required = MORE wins.

If Iggy can hit .230 , perhaps by bunting a lot even, I believe we'll all be quite satisfied with the overall results. Pitchers will love him , pink hatted liberals will name children after him, the oceans will stop rising, and the planet will start to heal......OOPS, wrong speech , LOL !

As far as shortstop value , anyone recall embarrassment of Nick Green ? Or foolishly letting Alex Gonzo leave ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade.:
    Gonna hate seeing our starting SS hitting below .200, dont care how good his defense is. 
    Posted by poprox13

What makes you think he'll hit below .200? He is 2 for 6 at the big-league level!
    Besides, how many years did we endure our RF hitting around the Mendoza line because we needed his stellar (no GG) defense?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

It really doesn't matter who plays short, The RS are not a playoff team as it stands now. 

everything would have to come together at one time for the RS to compete with the yankees, rangers, angles, tigers or rays. by my count, thats four teams that are better and in some cases much better then the RS are now. 

Of course the RS could catch lighting in a bottle and all the RS pitches could have great years, and all the hitters could have great years, But frankly, I don't see it. 

I'm not trying to be a downer, but facts are facts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

There are no FA SS for 2013 to speak of - other than Stephen Drew or Jhonny Peralta...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Let the kid play - he can field great and his hitting can improve.

Everyone relax.

We've had ONE good hitting shortstop in the last 30 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade.:
    In Response to Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade. : Why not point out that Scutaro has worse range than Aviles/Punto?
    Posted by moonslav59

I can't speak to Punto but Aviles also has a stronger arm than Scutaro.  That being said, I don't think it is wise to pencil Aviles in as a full time SS and doubt that is the plan going into the season.  Right now it seems that Iglesias is the leading candidate but if he is hitting .150 in May, something is going to have to change. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Let the kid play - he can field great and his hitting can improve. Everyone relax. We've had ONE good hitting shortstop in the last 30 years.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

Good is a pretty relative term.  Renteria for all his disappointments had a pretty productive year at the plate.  And guys like Agon or Scutaro hitting .260-.270 is a lot different than Iglesias hitting at .150, which is entirely possible when you consider he was in the low 200's last year at AAA.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade. : So teams that win tend to have several players who have great years? Thanks for that break down
    Posted by thepeskypole6

Hi: thepeskypole6- I have the Bill Purdum 2004 Red Sox team "Keep the Faith"  lithograph in my office. Great artist.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade. : So teams that win tend to have several players who have great years? Thanks for that break down
    Posted by thepeskypole6

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

thepeskypole might think my post is an obveous comment, but he missed my point completely, My point was that the RS don't have a team that can compete with the top four or five teams in the american league! 

Some teams can have  a player or two have down year and still win it all, The RS don't have that kind of team, if everyone on this team doesn't have a good to great year the RS are going finnish 3rd or 4th in the east. 

and even if everyone has a good year, they still arn't good enough to go to the WS. 

get use to it,

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

There are no FA SS for 2013 to speak of - other than Stephen Drew or Jhonny Peralta...
    Posted by beavis

I know how people will probably take this, but I would love to see Stephen Drew come here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade. : What makes you think he'll hit below .200? He is 2 for 6 at the big-league level! Besides, how many years did we endure our RF hitting around the Mendoza line because we needed his stellar (no GG) defense?
    Posted by Alibiike

OK, remind me which RFer was hitting around .200 for "years?"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade. : OK, remind me which RFer was hitting around .200 for "years?"
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

The worst Drew hit was .222 last year in 286 PAs. His BA in Boston was .264, but his OBP was .370!  (OPS .824)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade. : What makes you think he'll hit below .200? He is 2 for 6 at the big-league level! Besides, how many years did we endure our RF hitting around the Mendoza line because we needed his stellar (no GG) defense?
    Posted by Alibiike

Good job Alibike.  Way to compare a guy who hit 240 career homers in the bigs to a guy who had 10 extra base hits in an entire season at AAA.  Hyperbole much?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I have a feeling Iggie is going to flash some leather that will make BobbyV articulate: " I dont care if Iglesias is Punch-and-Judy-hitter, he's my starting SS". "Did you see the double play he just turned?"

Sometimes seeing D is better than O...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have a feeling Iggie is going to flash some leather that will make BobbyV articulate: " I dont care if Iglesias is Punch-and-Judy-hitter, he's my starting SS". "Did you see the double play he just turned?" Sometimes seeing D is better than O...
    Posted by beavis

I think some of the fans cold on Iggy might start seeing "the light" as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo: Doesn't see Mike Aviles & Nick Punto at SS-Either Jose Iglesias or Trade. : I think some of the fans cold on Iggy might start seeing "the light" as well.
    Posted by moonslav59

I am not cold on him.  It just doesn't make sense to rush him.  And if anyone says him starting next year wouldn't be rushing him then they are fooling themselves.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we don't care if he hits .170 or not, we are not fooling ourselves about anything. We know he needs to improve his offense to be considered a great SS, but many of us think his great fieldling still makes him the best option to help us win right now. Play him everyday facing MLB pitching. Tell him not to worry about his BA. We'll win more. That's what it's all about.

Sections
Shortcuts