Cafardo: Farrell Says Change Likely at Closer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Cafardo: Farrell Says Change Likely at Closer

Two days ago Farell states that Bailey is his closer and tonight after game, he said a change is coming. 

Thank you for finally removing this bum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Cafardo: Farrell Says Change Likely at Closer

ADG,

The worst you can say of Farrell is he waited one game too long.  Hanrahan was supposed to close and had surgery.  Bailey has closed before and was the natural choice.  The Sox were/are next to last in the AL in save opportunities, so a so-so closer hasn't hurt that much because he wasn't needed that much.  Better, I think, to give your closer extra opportunities to right himself in June than to have to do that in September.  This way even Bailey knows he should be replaced.  Funny thing is, the last two saves blown by Bailey resulted in wins by the Sox.  For all of these reasons your rhetoric is excessive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

ADG,

The worst you can say of Farrell is he waited one game too long.  Hanrahan was supposed to close and had surgery.  Bailey has closed before and was the natural choice.  The Sox were/are next to last in the AL in save opportunities, so a so-so closer hasn't hurt that much because he wasn't needed that much.  Better, I think, to give your closer extra opportunities to right himself in June than to have to do that in September.  This way even Bailey knows he should be replaced.  Funny thing is, the last two saves blown by Bailey resulted in wins by the Sox.  For all of these reasons your rhetoric is excessive.

this is about Bailey's performance as closer, not ADG's rhetoric...stop spinning - Bailey is a bum and should be relegated to mop up duty...he can fight it out with that other great Ben trade acquisition, Clay Mortenson, for that last scrub roster spot

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ADG,

this is about Bailey's performance as closer, not ADG's rhetoric...stop spinning - Bailey is a bum and should be relegated to mop up duty...he can fight it out with that other great Ben trade acquisition, Clay Mortenson, for that last scrub roster spot

still upset about the scutaro thing I see

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

ADG,

i could care less about Scoot - we have Iggy, but Im tired of these salamis taking up valuable roster space because they are entitled to a roster spot via trade...I love Middlebrooks but I would rather have DREW in there at this point and thats saying something

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

ADG,

i could care less about Scoot - we have Iggy, but Im tired of these salamis taking up valuable roster space because they are entitled to a roster spot via trade...I love Middlebrooks but I would rather have DREW in there at this point and thats saying something

Just having some fun with ya geo...I agree. At some point your going to have to send WMB down or make some sort of change if he cant turn things around and hit consistently. Iggy is doing great and at least we know he can cover 3b more than adiquately.

I dont think anyone would take Bailey at this point, so maybe a role with less pressure would suit him better here.

I like that Farrell gives his players enough time to sink or swim, but wastes no time once they do. I think he was going to let Bailey go as long as the Sox didnt lose. A couple hits here and there are ok, but giving up that bomb and losing a game like that had to have been it for farrell. Now, both of our closers are officially, not closing anymore.

What do you think about letting RDLR air it out for an inning in the closers role?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Just having some fun with ya geo...I agree. At some point your going to have to send WMB down or make some sort of change if he cant turn things around and hit consistently. Iggy is doing great and at least we know he can cover 3b more than adiquately.

I dont think anyone would take Bailey at this point, so maybe a role with less pressure would suit him better here.

I like that Farrell gives his players enough time to sink or swim, but wastes no time once they do. I think he was going to let Bailey go as long as the Sox didnt lose. A couple hits here and there are ok, but giving up that bomb and losing a game like that had to have been it for farrell. Now, both of our closers are officially, not closing anymore.

What do you think about letting RDLR air it out for an inning in the closers role?

[/QUOTE]

totally agree with you SPaw, JF is fair but not a pushover (i really like him a lot) i was one of the few who defended him last time bailey blew it and figured he would give him one more chance to redeem himself - he did and now its time to move on - i said a few days ago Miller would be my choice and it looks like that will happen...i hope he does Ok but who knows - its not JF's fault he has to play musical chairs with guys who cant pitch one inning with no one on base...but i have faith that Ben will address that sonner rather than later...it really is the only thing stopping the team from winning this division (and i cant believe im saying that in June)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

totally agree with you SPaw, JF is fair but not a pushover (i really like him a lot) i was one of the few who defended him last time bailey blew it and figured he would give him one more chance to redeem himself - he did and now its time to move on - i said a few days ago Miller would be my choice and it looks like that will happen...i hope he does Ok but who knows - its not JF's fault he has to play musical chairs with guys who cant pitch one inning with no one on base...but i have faith that Ben will address that sonner rather than later...it really is the only thing stopping the team from winning this division (and i cant believe im saying that in June)

[/QUOTE]

Miller is hot right now and would be my choice too. Eventually hes going to cool off like he usually does and another change will have to be made. But as long as hes on his game, he can do the job.

I think BC will be exploring every option available for a permanent replacement. Closer by committee is never a good idea.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Uehara should be named as our closer during the vacancy at least.  He pounds strike zone and has swing and miss breaking stuff.  And his passion and attitude well deserve a chance.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Don't be surprised to see Paps back in a RS Uni before deadline.  Not saying it's the best choice, but its one of the more likely ones.

He had his issues with blown saves too, so not really a for sure thing, but he already knows the city well and the fans.

If it does happen, hopefully we don't give up much (prospect wise) except taking on the salary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I think Uehara should be named as our closer during the vacancy at least.  He pounds strike zone and has swing and miss breaking stuff.  And his passion and attitude well deserve a chance.  

Problem is SB, is that Koji has been very ineffective when he pitches consecutive days. Sometimes you need your closer to throw 3 days in a row. Koji just cant do that and be effective. You need someone to know that he is the closer so he can get in a closers frame of mind and approach the 9th inning like a closer.

Taz was named the closer earlier, but approached it the same way as he did in the 7th inning and didnt work out very good. A closer has to attack the hitters and let it fly for 1 inning. Its an all or nothing kind of role IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Koolga's comment:

Don't be surprised to see Paps back in a RS Uni before deadline.  Not saying it's the best choice, but its one of the more likely ones.

He had his issues with blown saves too, so not really a for sure thing, but he already knows the city well and the fans.

If it does happen, hopefully we don't give up much (prospect wise) except taking on the salary.

I really dont think paps would cost that much unless theres a bidding war, which is likely with Detroit in desperate need of a closer as well.

A "B" prospect, Bailey, and taking on the full amount of his deal should get it done. But like I said, supply and demand. So you might have to add another prospects, but I dont think it would take a top tier prospect either way though.

Im also in favor of letting Miller close for now since hes pitching good and grooming RDLR for the job and give him a shot. RDLR still has control issues over 5-6IP, but might be ok in a closers role.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I agree with you seannybboi   Laughing

Bailey needs to be sent to single-A. 

Uehara (Japanese Red Bull LOL) should be our closer for now. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Two days ago Farell states that Bailey is his closer and tonight after game, he said a change is coming. 

Farrel says Bailey is "snake-bit". I guess he still doesn't get it. Bailey isn't "snake-bit", he's ineffective. Give hime som2 mop-up action when he gets his fastball back. Right now he's a fastball pitcher without a fastball. But, calling him names isn't going to get that fastball back!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

Farrel says Bailey is "snake-bit". I guess he still doesn't get it. Bailey isn't "snake-bit", he's ineffective. Give hime som2 mop-up action when he gets his fastball back. Right now he's a fastball pitcher without a fastball. But, calling him names isn't going to get that fastball back!

You do realize that managers use those terms because they arent going to come out and throw a player under the bus, right? Farrell knows a lot more than you or I about pitching and Im sure he gets it much more than we do, Including how to address the media concerning these situations.

What he says behind closed door is probably a bit different.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I like that Farrell gives his players enough time to sink or swim, but wastes no time once they do.

IMO, managing the clubhouse is more important than the in game managing.  Players have to know that their manager has their backs.  This is one of the areas in which BobbyV failed immensely. 

The way that Farrell deals with Bailey doesn't only affect Bailey's respect and trust for the manager, but it also affects how the other players respect and trust the manager.  No player wants to feel like he's not going to be given the chance to work through his problems if he is struggling.

As you said, Farrell handled this well.  He gave Bailey a fair chance to earn his stay in the closer's role, but was quick to make a decision once Bailey failed again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Baseball is a simple game, Closers cant do 2 things, walk batters, and give up HRS on a steady basis. 3 games in a row 3 HRS.
    Not too hard to make a change here. Bailey knew it was coming too. Just like a hitter he is in a slump, has to Pitch his way out of it, just cant do it in 9th inning, at this point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Off the top of my head, they have internal options to address this closer crisis, and I'd rank them in this order:

Miller

Aceves

RDLR

Tazawa

Uehara

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I'm going with the kid. Why not. Find out what he's got while it's still relative early in the season, you can still make the change, if it doesn't work.
    Miller you know pretty much what he's got.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Off the top of my head, they have internal options to address this closer crisis, and I'd rank them in this order:

Miller

Aceves

RDLR

Tazawa

Uehara

Miller does not have the control to close (IMO) his WHIP is too high.  Although he would likely do just as well of a job as Aceves did last year and better than Bailey now.  He's good enough to be a servicable closer perhaps.  Uehara can't close,  he could for a while but conventional wisdom teaches us that he likely won't be here at the end of the year if he does.

I like RDLR as an option, but he is very likley on an innings limit as he is recovering from surgery.  It's really hard to work all season to ramp a guy up to throw for endurance and then tell him he is going to get the ball every day so throw as hard as you can for 20 pitches.

Tazawa may be the best option in house.  If what he has done in the 7th 8th translates over to the 9th he would be an above average closer now.  Although I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the guys you listed closing games the next couple weeks.  But I really feel that all things considered Tazawa is our best option....and if he can do it then he is the best option down the stretch as well. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I like Miller 'cause his confidence is way up right now. Could his control regress? Sure. Or maybe he's finally turned the corner. I like Miller over RDLR because he's logged some MLB innings this year - on that alone, I think he's the better option. That & he just plain attacks hitters & thats what good closers do. Not sure i would put that kind of pressure on the kid right now. 

Whole bunch of reasons why I think Miller is the best option ( & yes, it's changable ). Not to mention his Entry music if he ever succeded: 

http://youtu.be/Adw772km7PQ 

Miller Highlife b$#%hes!    Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

Miller

Aceves

RDLR

Tazawa

Uehara

Miller does not have the control to close (IMO) his WHIP is too high.  Although he would likely do just as well of a job as Aceves did last year and better than Bailey now.  He's good enough to be a servicable closer perhaps.  Uehara can't close,  he could for a while but conventional wisdom teaches us that he likely won't be here at the end of the year if he does.

I like RDLR as an option, but he is very likley on an innings limit as he is recovering from surgery.  It's really hard to work all season to ramp a guy up to throw for endurance and then tell him he is going to get the ball every day so throw as hard as you can for 20 pitches.

Tazawa may be the best option in house.  If what he has done in the 7th 8th translates over to the 9th he would be an above average closer now.  Although I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the guys you listed closing games the next couple weeks.  But I really feel that all things considered Tazawa is our best option....and if he can do it then he is the best option down the stretch as well. 

They already tried that this year. W/ so-so results. Plus, I really think Taz gives us a great advantage right where he is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You really can't judge a guy out of the bullpen based on a few go arounds. If the tools are there you need a look at someone,  Tazawa deserves at least that shot.  Tazawa has the heater...and he has good control.  you really don't need much more than that to close.  Miller has the heat as well....but the control ehhhh.   He's that guy that once a week is going to close a game out by loading the bases and who knows what happens maybe you get lucky and get the win or you give up a bomb.   

I wouldn't be surprised to see a closer by committee until we see who kinda does better in that role and then let them take that role on the regular.   I'm sure in this scenario Miller gets a look as well....and who knows maybe he steps up and improves in that role.  We've seen him look better out of the bullpen so who knows. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I like RDLR as an option as well. Closing is a "make-up" issue. It's even more a "make-up" issue in Boston. It's been shown there are guys who just can not play in Boston. The pressure caves them. Sadly Bailey has proven to be that kind of player. 

Uehara is not an option. He's not durable enough.

Tazawa looked a bit suspect when he tried to close. 

I might be inclined to give Aceves another shot. 

It wouldn't hurt to roll RDLR out there. I never felt a player acquired a closers mentality, or the kind of mental make-up needed to perform under pressure. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I think Farrell did the right thing up until Bailey walked the lead-off man. I would have pulled him right there. 

Sections
Shortcuts