Cafardo is right

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Cafardo is right

There's a lot of discussion over what the Red Sox should do at the trading deadline. For me it’s simple – stick to the White Sox.

Try to work out a package for starter Jake Peavy and reliever Jesse Crain, solving both a rotation issue and a bullpen problem.

Have a 
    question?

100x150asknickmugshot.jpgSubmit your question here to be considered for the next edition of Ask Nick.

Obviously, you have to see if Crain is healthy. He could start pitching again as soon as this weekend and the Red Sox will have scouts watching both pitchers. Peavy is ideal because he’s got that bulldog mentality and can handle postseason.

The biggest positive is that both pitchers have worked with Red Sox pitching coach Juan Nieves, who speaks highly of both of them. Matt Thornton has already come over from the White Sox per Nieves’s recommendation. For a pitcher to be able to have familiarity with a pitching coach when you change teams, I think is huge.

Yes, you have to give up someone you don’t want to lose to make a deal like this happen, but you have to do it. This is Boston’s chance to win the AL East and really, to win it all. You don’t have this chance very often so when it’s there and you have the chips in your farm system to obtain veteran talent, I think you need to go for it.

This isn’t the time to hold back. The one advantage Boston has over Tampa Bay is the resources to make something big happen, to acquire players that can make an impact. If you have that advantage and don’t use it because of being afraid to trade prospects, that could backfire.

Here’s this week’s mailbag:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Cafardo is right

Concur ......   Send Drew & Middlebrooks !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When it comes to player trades, FA signings and the like, Cafardo is the last guy you want to litsen to for suggestions. He can report the sports fine, just not a good armchair GM. Cafardo wanted to sell the whole farm for Mauer and spend 25M per for 5yrs on Hamilton. He thinks the pricey vets are always the way to go. We wouldnt have much of a farm if he was in charge.

Although both are good pitchers, one just got off of what is a yearly landing spot for him, the DL and the other is still on it with shoulder issues.

Maybe Crain if the price isnt much (similar to the Thornton deal, which was a waste)

Peavy will cost 20M between this year and 2014. Just hope the 16M player option doesnt kick in with IP. (I doubt it).

Peavy reminds me of Buchholz in that they both have TOTR stuff but can never stay on the field. We could possibly be dealing with 2 pitchers racing to the DL next year and be in more trouble.

Id rather they take a chance on the Gonzalez kid (26) from Cuba. Thats just money.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I stated the same thing regarding Miguel Gonzalez, they have Jose Contrearas let him fill the open bullpen spot and bring in the kid under his tutelege.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Crain is hurt and has been out all month.

Bill - Why would the White Sox want Drew?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

When it comes to player trades, FA signings and the like, Cafardo is the last guy you want to litsen to for suggestions. He can report the sports fine, just not a good armchair GM. Cafardo wanted to sell the whole farm for Mauer and spend 25M per for 5yrs on Hamilton. He thinks the pricey vets are always the way to go. We wouldnt have much of a farm if he was in charge.

Although both are good pitchers, one just got off of what is a yearly landing spot for him, the DL and the other is still on it with shoulder issues.

Maybe Crain if the price isnt much (similar to the Thornton deal, which was a waste)

Peavy will cost 20M between this year and 2014. Just hope the 16M player option doesnt kick in with IP. (I doubt it).

Peavy reminds me of Buchholz in that they both have TOTR stuff but can never stay on the field. We could possibly be dealing with 2 pitchers racing to the DL next year and be in more trouble.

Id rather they take a chance on the Gonzalez kid (26) from Cuba. Thats just money.

good post. i've also been hearing about Mike Gonzalez a lot these past few days. they say he could be a #3 in the MLB right now at best and at worst a #6/long reliefman. I'd take a shot on him and hold onto the prospects.

If we get Gonzalez then it would fill 1role regardless. Since he projects to be a starter or a reliever no matter what he actually turns into we'll have a spot for him. Also with Morales on the verge of coming back he could also start or go to the pen. Which would fill the other hole. the 2 biggest holes on the team ATM filled without giving up a single prospect. pretty good deal IMO.

then pickup a bat at the deadline and make the run.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Is Peavy healthy?  I have not been following the White Sox because they stink.   LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Lets just assume for a second that we add a starter like Jake Peavy. This would remove a quality starter so far in Brandon Workman from the rotation and put him in the bull pen. When Buch comes back it removes another starter[Dempster?] and puts him in the bull pen. And when we play in the playoffs another starter would be moved to the bull pen[Doubront?]. My two points being that first, I don't personally see the need for a starter unless there is something we don't know. And the need for another reliever is questionable if we do add a starter.

With that being said, I like Jake Peavy. He is a quality number 2 starter. He just turned 32 so he isn't old. His contract is short but large. 14.5 for this season and next. A 3rd year player option for 15 million that he will not get to and if he does, we will want him to anyway. And 4 million of deffered money down the road. So basically 16.5 million a year, but pro rated this year. Not cheap, but still worth it.

This season, his one injury was a broken rib, which seemed to hurt his stats big time. Take his 2 starts at the time of the rib injury out and he would have an ERA around 3.00 this season. He has been very good returning from the injury in two starts. His K-BB rate this year is his best of his career. He is a 3.5-5.0 WAR pitcher per 200 innings pretty much every year of his career. He has just missed a lot of games. He pitches in the American league in a HR park. As a right handed fly ball pitcher, Fenway might actually be better for him.

On the negative side, although he does have playoff experience, he sucked in the playoffs. He is very injury prone although I think he is fairly healthy at this time. His velocity this year is down below 90 mph. He is a pitcher like Dempster, not a thrower. No upside to him.

From a value stand point, having him 2 years instead of 1 is a plus. He should be worth his 14.5 next year, plus he would likely be worth a QO of 14 million, giving you the 1st round draft pick compensation value. With him being arguably as good as Garza, while getting him for 2 years, plus the better then 50-50 odds of a compensation pick makes him a sligthly more valuable trade commodity IMO, although his high contract offsets those advantages somewhat. That doesn't mean I give up more then Texas did for Garza because Texas got ripped off.

If we trade for a pitcher, he might be the guy to trade for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Don't trade Middlebrooks.

Power hitters are hard to develop, so I wouldn't give up on him too soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I like Nick and his analysis, but don't agree on Peavy for these reasons:  1. the Sox need a one year guy, not a two year guy (see Peter Abraham commentary in extra bases); 2. His track record over the last 5 or 6 years is not good in terms of number of starts and innings pitched; 3. He just gave up 4 runs to the Tigers; 4. he's an old 32 years because this is his 12th season pitching in the majors; 5. the White Sox are going to want something good in return, like Bogaerts and/or Bradley.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

good post. i've also been hearing about Mike Gonzalez a lot these past few days. they say he could be a #3 in the MLB right now at best and at worst a #6/long reliefman. I'd take a shot on him and hold onto the prospects.

If we get Gonzalez then it would fill 1role regardless. Since he projects to be a starter or a reliever no matter what he actually turns into we'll have a spot for him. Also with Morales on the verge of coming back he could also start or go to the pen. Which would fill the other hole. the 2 biggest holes on the team ATM filled without giving up a single prospect. pretty good deal IMO.

then pickup a bat at the deadline and make the run.

Only thing with Gonzalez is...How much hes really worth? If your sure he will remain a starter, then you pay him the 8-12M for 5yrs. Even for a #3, thats a good deal until hes 31-32.
    Personally, I really like what Ive seen from Britton out of the pen. He should get the nod before Thornton right now, although Im sure that wont happen. I also like some internal options we might have. right now we have 39 guys on the 40-man roster and with bailey soon to be on the 60-day DL, that will open 2 spots up. So we can add another arm if need be to see if we can use an internal option instead of an expensive middle reliever on the market.

The idea of taking all of the white sox injured pitchers and giving up good young players does not get me all warm and fuzzy inside...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I like Nick and his analysis, but don't agree on Peavy for these reasons:  1. the Sox need a one year guy, not a two year guy (see Peter Abraham commentary in extra bases); 2. His track record over the last 5 or 6 years is not good in terms of number of starts and innings pitched; 3. He just gave up 4 runs to the Tigers; 4. he's an old 32 years because this is his 12th season pitching in the majors; 5. the White Sox are going to want something good in return, like Bogaerts and/or Bradley.   

Although I understand the 1 year vs 2 theory, getting the starter who ranks 23rd in WAR the last 3 seasons for next year is pretty good. When can always trade somebody including Peavy in the off season. Also, todays performance against the Tigers was a plus, not a negative. He had a WHIP under 1 and 7 K's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I think that the Sox are just preparing for Buch not pitching again this year and protecting against injury (easily could be Lester or Lackey)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Cafardo is not right because he didn't actually recommend anything.  The suggestion to 'not hold back' is meaningless.  It is as inane as 'go for it', or 'try to improve'.  LMK when Nicky says something specific.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We have long been looking for a right handed bat. We have two possibilities in the system. Middlebrooks and Bogaerts. It would be a panic move and a mistake if either of them were traded for pitching. Nothing against Peavy, but I would just as soon keep Middlebrooks and give a shot to DeLaRosa, Barnes and Ranaudo. Workman and Britton have not done too badly , and neither is rated as highly as the other three.  Do not trade young for old. Peavy could break down any time. Middlebrooks could still become a top power bat.

Stabbed by Foulke.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Who goes to the BP when Buchholz returns?

The worst ERA right now of the 6 possibles is Lester, and he ain't sitting.

The next worst ERA of the 6 possibles is Peavy.

So we'd presumably be trading WMB to have Peavy sit on the bench?

Sections
Shortcuts