Cafardo:Sox will probably trade a prospect for an established righthanded hitting outfielder-Who would you trade for?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Cafardo:Sox will probably trade a prospect for an established righthanded hitting outfielder-Who would you trade for?

By Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe

PHILADELPHIA — First of all, nobody’s been able to hit Cliff Lee lately. It shouldn’t be shocking that a subpar Red Sox lineup did nothing (two hits and two walks) against the lefthander in last night’s 5-0 loss to the Phillies. Secondly, the Sox are usually rewarded when they exercise patience with their players — David Ortiz, Jed Lowrie, etc.

But there are warning signs with Darnell McDonald and Mike Cameron that indicate the club’s patience might be running out.

Josh Reddick keeps sitting against lefties, but that may not continue.

Carl Crawford (hamstring) has been missed, even though he hasn’t had a great season. He’s eligible to come off the disabled list for the series finale in Houston Sunday and that could mean the end of McDonald’s tenure in Boston.

The Sox lineup has been so feeble lately they will likely go with Ortiz at first base and Adrian Gonzalez in right field tonight. They shouldn’t have to do something this drastic, but they will for at least one night.

Cameron, who has always been an athletic, youthful player, is starting to look like a 37-year-old. Cameron and McDonald have combined for 13 hits in 94 at-bats against lefthanded pitchers and general manager Theo Epstein, who is traveling with the team, won’t let that continue much longer. The $22 million J.D. Drew-Cameron platoon hasn’t worked very well.

Right field needs to be a productive position and as June comes to a close, it’s been far from it: .206, 7 homers, and 27 RBIs combined from Drew and Cameron.

The Sox will probably do what they never wanted to do — trade a prospect for an established righthanded hitter.

Here is a sample of the outfielders the Sox may be looking at:

1. Carlos Beltran, Mets — In a perfect world, this is their man. Beltran is a switch-hitter and the Sox could pick up the rest of his $18 million deal and make him a No. 6 or 7 hitter. The Sox did a lot of research on Beltran at the winter meetings before they signed Crawford. Beltran still has enough mobility to play right field at Fenway and in the American League’s bigger ballparks.

The problem is he might not yet be available. If the Mets feel they’re within striking distance in mid-July, they might hold on to him.

2. Jeff Francoeur, Royals — He could be the easiest to acquire. He’s a very good right fielder with one of the strongest and most accurate arms in baseball. The Sox have scouted Francoeur a lot and may have already made inquiries. Francoeur strikes out a lot and is not a typical Red Sox OBP hitter, but they’ll take his power. He’s hitting lefthanded pitching at a .329 clip with 5 homers and 17 RBIs. This former Brave used to carry a Red Sox Mastercard, so he loves the team. His dad lived in Massachusetts.

3. Josh Willingham, A’s — Willingham is on the disabled list with a strained Achilles’, but he’s one of the most sought-after righthanded hitters out there. He could even be a third catcher, but an issue would be his ability to cover ground in right and he’s hitting only .211 vs. lefthanders. He is considered a left fielder, but if the price were right, the Sox might consider this move.

4. Ryan Ludwick, Padres — Another deal between these franchises? Ludwick can play the outfield well and hits lefties at a .295 clip. Seven of his 10 homers have come off southpaws. Ludwick also earns $6.8 million, which the Padres would love to take off their books. Ludwick and Heath Bell will be the players Padres GM Jed Hoyer will entertain offers for. Hoyer and assistant GM Jason McLeod know the Sox’ system.

5. Michael Cuddyer, Twins — The free-agent-to-be would be a nice pick-up because he’s a dirt-dog type who could also protect the Sox at the corner infield positions. Might be a tougher deal because the Twins, as usual, have turned things around and with a hot second half they could force their way back into contention. Cuddyer is crushing lefthanded pitching (.380 with 6 home runs). He’s in the final year of a four-year, $33.5-million deal.

6. Coco Crisp, A’s — Crisp is an excellent outfielder with a weak arm but he knows Fenway and will be available. He’s struggled vs. lefties (.235).

7. Carlos Quentin, White Sox — The Braves are pursuing Quentin hard. Not sure the Red Sox could match up because the White Sox would be looking for a front-line starter in return for the slugging outfielder.

8. Magglio Ordonez, Detroit — Would the Tigers consider a Cameron-Ordonez swap? Both players have struggled and maybe a change of scenery would do them good.

9. Ty Wigginton, Rockies — The Red Sox would really love to have a Bill Hall-type player. Wigginton has played the corner outfield spots sparingly, staying mostly in the infield. But he’s a righthanded bat with pop. He’s hitting .270 with 12 homers and 32 RBIs. The 33-year-old is hitting lefties at a .289 clip in 45 at-bats.

10. Ryan Spilborghs, Colorado — Is he better than what they have? Spilborghs, 31, has been on Boston’s radar over the years. He’s hitting .255 vs. lefties.

11. Jonny Gomes, Reds — He hits lefties at a .385 clip but he’s a left fielder, and probably more of a DH.

There isn’t a perfect answer to the righthanded riddle. Devoting a small fortune to right fielders already, the Sox won’t break the bank for someone unless that someone gives you performance beyond this season. Perhaps when Crawford gets back, when Ortiz is playing more, and when Lowrie returns this situation won’t be an issue. But for now, with a good sample size, there’s a righthanded need.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Cafardo:Sox will probably trade a prospect for an established righthanded hitting outfielder-Who would you trade for?

I personally requested 1.5 months ago to acquire Carlos Beltran.  He will play RF, occasionally DH'ing, and of course bat 6th.  Of course Drew supporters were unhappy with my early warnings, and the need to make this move already.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Cafardo:Sox will probably trade a prospect for an established righthanded hitting outfielder-Who would you trade for?

LET'S DO IT, SOOOONER, RATHER THAN LATER !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Hunter Pence - Houston Astros.

2011: 9 HR, .315 BA  52 rbi

Bats/Throws:  R/R

28yrs old  FA:2012

6.9 mil for 2011

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

McDonald/Bowden for Cuddyer.   Beltran is a dream and the Mets believe they still have a shot for at least a wild card.  Francouer would be decent too--the rest are not worth trading chips for.  Cuddyer is Trot Nixon-like and would translate well in Fenway---and he loves to play there.  The Twins are done---can't dig out of that hole--not w/Morneau injured again and Mauer aching.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

From MLB Trade Rumors:
    Gammons: Red Sox can't add payroll

The Red Sox cannot add payroll this season, according to Peter Gammons of MLB Network (on Twitter).

Peter Gammons

Red Sox cannot add payroll, which means with RF washout and McDonald/Cameron 0 production, they can take no $. Dream Jeff Baker. period.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Jeff Francoeur

Has to be a RF and not a CF/LF.  Can't have a weak arm.

Go for a long term player.  Trade Reddick for a good young RF and toss in a draft pick.  Fix the RH hitter/Right fielder with a permanent solution, not a stop gap measure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Beltran is best option but probably the least likely. I will go with an unlisted option of Hunter Pence.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo:Sox will probably trade a prospect for an established righthanded hitting outfielder-Who would you trade for?:
    From MLB Trade Rumors: Gammons: Red Sox can't add payroll By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 28 at 8:29pm CST] The Red Sox cannot add payroll this season, according to Peter Gammons of MLB Network (on Twitter ). @pgammo Peter Gammons Red Sox cannot add payroll, which means with RF washout and McDonald/Cameron 0 production, they can take no $. Dream Jeff Baker. period.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

I'm afriad Gammon's is playing right into the smoke screen game...

Henry has stated in years past, that if he sees the team as a legit WS contender, he'd approve spending over the competitive balance tax if the right player/deal presents itself...It's incumbent upon Epstien/Luccino to sell Henry on the real need if indeed we have a real need and by adding said player better positions us to go deep without sacrificing long term assests...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm not against a deal, but think not making one is also an option.  Get rid of the platoon, and go with three lefty outfielders--Crawford, Ellsbury, and Reddick.  Keep a righty to pinch hit or fill in.  My choice would be McDonald.  That means dumping $22M worth of outfielders, but so be it.

Interesting that, despite the many threads urging the acquisition of the Dodgers Kemp, Cafardo doesn't think he's availalble.

More on why acquiring a righty rightfielder might not be the best move.  First and foremost, the Sox were doing fine despite Cameron/Drew being a black hole in the lineup.  This road trip has exacerbated their weak hitting because it is combined with not having Ortiz in the lineup, Crawford being on the DL, and the Sox having to bat their pitchers 9th.   Theo will not, I believe, over-react to what seems to me to be a short-term problem.   

In other words, once the interleague goes away and Crawford returns, the Sox should have a pretty good lineup.  The team is in a virtual tie with the Yankees for the best offense in MLB.  I say again, this team/lineup is not broken.  RF is a liability, but will I hope be less of one if Reddick continues to hit. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe. Show The--Babe's posts

I can't believe they will put agone in RF. I hope it's raining.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Do not believe that the Mets will not trade Beltran....they have no choice....yes....they make they could possibly contend but they will be realistic...Betrans contract ststaes that they cannot offer him arbitration which means if they keep him they will not even get a compesatory draft pick for him....they are a team trying to rebuild and they are not going to give up the opportunity to add some chips for an aging veteran who they have no intentions of signing as a free agent. I believe if you gave them a good pitching prospect or SS prospect(not iglesias, maybe Navarro)....they would take Cameron also, since they would still save alot of money for the remainder of the year (18.5m vs 8m prorated), and having a SS prospect allows them to make a better decison on Reyes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Let Reddick play RF. Do not trade this guy before giving him a legitimate shot as a starter before the trade deadline. He's configured to play RF, L/R. He's young and getting better offensively. What  outfielder do other teams want to talk about? DMac, Cam, JDD, Kalish ...doubtful. This kid has been solid since Spring Training this year. No reason to hold this kid back or send him to Pawtucket. He's a keeper and  on course to be the 2012 RF starter.JDD can be the back up.      If I had to trade, I'd look at the switch hitting Coco Crisp or Jeff Francoer at 27 with some power and because they have been playing regularly the first half. Coco's played here before and is familiar with FP and JF has NE roots and would fit in as well. I wouldn't give up Inglesias or Reddick though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Would love to get Cuddyer but suspect price will be too high.Francouer a decent choice as rental fill-in.Kalish's health probably impacts whether Reddick is available as a trade chip.
    Ryan Ludwick also an acceptable choice but since Jed Hoyer knows our minor league talent so well, that price probably unacceptable also.

In spring training I had hoped Cuban J.C. Linares might be possible Cameron/McDonald replacement but he hasn't developed sufficiently as of yet.
    We fans just LOVE to play what-if with John Henry's money, don't we ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

I think Linares is hurt.
    I'd like Cuddyer as well, but have no idea what the price would be. Don't think I'm ready to get rid of Reddick for a rental, I still think he could become a really good starter. I'd give up Bowden in a heartbeat . . .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Who would you be willing to give up?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Josh Reddick needs to be played everyday. I don't agree that we need another "Big Money" solution in RF and the Whole Fenway RF Mystic is a bit overdone, in my opinion. Josh has some growing up to do that is for sure but he does bring a little bit more life out there and seems to at least play with some enthusiasim. A little work on his carefree approach to catching fly balls will help. I don't know why Francona chooses to sit hot players, Jed Lowrie comes to mind, but I think that if  a guy is playing his way into the lineup while another player is playing is way out of it that should make the choice a lot easier and shouldn't take this long. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I agree we dont need a big money solution in RF, but Betran although he is big money would only be for the rest of the year...and then next year you have all the younger guys compete....Reddick...Kalish....Linares. As we all know we are ready to win this year, so if a piece can be added to mkae us better and Beltran as a switch hitter makes us better since we have no decnt right handed hitting outfielder....then I think the Sox should go for it. Due to what I posted earlier and the size of his contract.....the Mets cannot expect to get a A1 package for him...for what he would bring you will not get a better deal as long as you are willing to add the additional payroll.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'd love to get Cuddyer.

But as was stated earlier by a very astute poster, the price will likely be high.

The Twins always sell high.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Cafardo:Sox will probably trade a prospect for an established righthanded hitting outfielder-Who would you trade for?:
    By Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe PHILADELPHIA — First of all, nobody’s been able to hit Cliff Lee lately. It shouldn’t be shocking that a subpar Red Sox lineup did nothing (two hits and two walks) against the lefthander in last night’s 5-0 loss to the Phillies. Secondly, the Sox are usually rewarded when they exercise patience with their players — David Ortiz, Jed Lowrie, etc. But there are warning signs with Darnell McDonald and Mike Cameron that indicate the club’s patience might be running out. Josh Reddick keeps sitting against lefties, but that may not continue. Carl Crawford (hamstring) has been missed, even though he hasn’t had a great season. He’s eligible to come off the disabled list for the series finale in Houston Sunday and that could mean the end of McDonald’s tenure in Boston. The Sox lineup has been so feeble lately they will likely go with Ortiz at first base and Adrian Gonzalez in right field tonight. They shouldn’t have to do something this drastic, but they will for at least one night. Cameron, who has always been an athletic, youthful player, is starting to look like a 37-year-old. Cameron and McDonald have combined for 13 hits in 94 at-bats against lefthanded pitchers and general manager Theo Epstein, who is traveling with the team, won’t let that continue much longer. The $22 million J.D. Drew-Cameron platoon hasn’t worked very well. Right field needs to be a productive position and as June comes to a close, it’s been far from it: .206, 7 homers, and 27 RBIs combined from Drew and Cameron. The Sox will probably do what they never wanted to do — trade a prospect for an established righthanded hitter. Here is a sample of the outfielders the Sox may be looking at: 1. Carlos Beltran, Mets — In a perfect world, this is their man. Beltran is a switch-hitter and the Sox could pick up the rest of his $18 million deal and make him a No. 6 or 7 hitter. The Sox did a lot of research on Beltran at the winter meetings before they signed Crawford. Beltran still has enough mobility to play right field at Fenway and in the American League’s bigger ballparks. The problem is he might not yet be available. If the Mets feel they’re within striking distance in mid-July, they might hold on to him. 2. Jeff Francoeur, Royals — He could be the easiest to acquire. He’s a very good right fielder with one of the strongest and most accurate arms in baseball. The Sox have scouted Francoeur a lot and may have already made inquiries. Francoeur strikes out a lot and is not a typical Red Sox OBP hitter, but they’ll take his power. He’s hitting lefthanded pitching at a .329 clip with 5 homers and 17 RBIs. This former Brave used to carry a Red Sox Mastercard, so he loves the team. His dad lived in Massachusetts. 3. Josh Willingham, A’s — Willingham is on the disabled list with a strained Achilles’, but he’s one of the most sought-after righthanded hitters out there. He could even be a third catcher, but an issue would be his ability to cover ground in right and he’s hitting only .211 vs. lefthanders. He is considered a left fielder, but if the price were right, the Sox might consider this move. 4. Ryan Ludwick, Padres — Another deal between these franchises? Ludwick can play the outfield well and hits lefties at a .295 clip. Seven of his 10 homers have come off southpaws. Ludwick also earns $6.8 million, which the Padres would love to take off their books. Ludwick and Heath Bell will be the players Padres GM Jed Hoyer will entertain offers for. Hoyer and assistant GM Jason McLeod know the Sox’ system. 5. Michael Cuddyer, Twins — The free-agent-to-be would be a nice pick-up because he’s a dirt-dog type who could also protect the Sox at the corner infield positions. Might be a tougher deal because the Twins, as usual, have turned things around and with a hot second half they could force their way back into contention. Cuddyer is crushing lefthanded pitching (.380 with 6 home runs). He’s in the final year of a four-year, $33.5-million deal. 6. Coco Crisp, A’s — Crisp is an excellent outfielder with a weak arm but he knows Fenway and will be available. He’s struggled vs. lefties (.235). 7. Carlos Quentin, White Sox — The Braves are pursuing Quentin hard. Not sure the Red Sox could match up because the White Sox would be looking for a front-line starter in return for the slugging outfielder. 8. Magglio Ordonez, Detroit — Would the Tigers consider a Cameron-Ordonez swap? Both players have struggled and maybe a change of scenery would do them good. 9. Ty Wigginton, Rockies — The Red Sox would really love to have a Bill Hall-type player. Wigginton has played the corner outfield spots sparingly, staying mostly in the infield. But he’s a righthanded bat with pop. He’s hitting .270 with 12 homers and 32 RBIs. The 33-year-old is hitting lefties at a .289 clip in 45 at-bats. 10. Ryan Spilborghs, Colorado — Is he better than what they have? Spilborghs, 31, has been on Boston’s radar over the years. He’s hitting .255 vs. lefties. 11. Jonny Gomes, Reds — He hits lefties at a .385 clip but he’s a left fielder, and probably more of a DH. There isn’t a perfect answer to the righthanded riddle. Devoting a small fortune to right fielders already, the Sox won’t break the bank for someone unless that someone gives you performance beyond this season. Perhaps when Crawford gets back, when Ortiz is playing more, and when Lowrie returns this situation won’t be an issue. But for now, with a good sample size, there’s a righthanded need.
    Posted by fir.eballer58

What can you say?  This is our situation in a nutshell along with Jacoby struggling a bit at leadoff recently.  All we can hope for is a solid RF move by Theo to help the bottom of our lineup.  I really don't like Adrian playing RF so say a prayer our new franchise player doesn't get hurt.  We got a raw deal in the schedule but have the right team to recover from it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Do you do Dubrount and Bowden for 3 months of Cuddyer? Do the twins?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: Cafardo:Sox will probably trade a prospect for an established righthanded hitting outfielder-Who would you trade for?:
    Do you do Dubrount and Bowden for 3 months of Cuddyer? Do the twins?
    Posted by wherescreamingcomesfrom

Believe Theo would JUMP at it, even drive them to the airport.But Twins would probably laugh.

For Cuddyer I'm guessing it starts with Reddick or Kalish, plus maybe one of Ranaudo, Weiland, Britton; PLUS Lavernaway ?

I tend to fall in love with our prospects, so not a good judge of trades myself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Buchholz for Kemp

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Beltran is best option but probably the least likely. I will go with an unlisted option of Hunter Pence.
    Posted by Sully1965

What would you give for Astro Franchise Player?

Sections
Shortcuts