Call at 2B should have been overturned

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Call at 2B should have been overturned

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Anyone here willing to take that job? I would bet they would have no problem filling that position at a moment's notice. What an amazing job to have, and I think a child could even do it.

I knew there was a possibilty that these calls could still be wrong when I found out they were ALL going to be based out of New York. The umpires are based out of New York, and we've all seen how that has worked out.

You can't get these calls wrong. You can't. CANNOT. If you get these calls wrong, you want the call wrong. And, again, you should be out of job.

There you go again with the usual histrionics.

My guess is if the MLB office and replay booth were based in Boston, you would still try to find a way to claim a conspiracy.

What's your interpretation of why they can get a call wrong with ALL the information that EVERYONE can clearly see in slow mo and at every angle? When the extent of their job is simply JUST TO GET A CALL RIGHT?

Even NESN took a while to come up with the stop action photo that showed his foot was off the bag; plus this process shall need refinement, sinc it's only been used for 2 weeks, and there's already been criticism it takes too long; the NFL, NBA, NHL, and NCAA after all ths time still doesn't get it right on occasion

It takes the viewing audience two seconds to see when the wrong call is made. Whatever your feeling is about that, it's the ONLY job they have. THEY should have the best technology to see what happened when it happened. It's very telling how many calls have been reversed.

And pointing out other sports who have bad calls made doesn't change this conversation. It shouldn't happen with instant replay. If you can see it when you're watching the game, you should be able to see it when your job is to analize all the data available to you and come to the same conclusion everyone else can see. If you can't do that, find another job.

It took two seconds for the viewing public to see it? That's news to me. And if you want perfection amongst the human species, technology tools or not, I'm afraid you're going to be terribly disappointed. The other sports are illustrative of that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Silly.  Who cares?  It's a stupid rule anyway.  The baserunner did not slide over, around, or past the base.  He was just getting up, but took his foot off the bag--bam, you're out.  Silly.

The best value of yesterday's missed call is we get to talk about it and expatiate upon its cosmic meaning--the great gods of MLB have made another boo-boo. 

Anyone who thinks the umpires are supposed to be perfect has no awareness of the human condition. 

How about that

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I guess John Farrell agrees

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   1m

Can’t say I’ve ever seen John Farrell quite that mad before. Fair to say he’s not a proponent of the replay system.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   5m

Farrell: “On the heels of [Saturday], it’s hard to have any faith in the system to be honest with you.”

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   4m

Farrell: “You would think that video replay would be conclusive. … Unfortunately we were on the wrong side of it both times.”

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Anyone here willing to take that job? I would bet they would have no problem filling that position at a moment's notice. What an amazing job to have, and I think a child could even do it.

I knew there was a possibilty that these calls could still be wrong when I found out they were ALL going to be based out of New York. The umpires are based out of New York, and we've all seen how that has worked out.

You can't get these calls wrong. You can't. CANNOT. If you get these calls wrong, you want the call wrong. And, again, you should be out of job.

My guess is if the MLB office and replay booth were based in Boston, you would still try to find a way to claim a conspiracy.

What's your interpretation of why they can get a call wrong with ALL the information that EVERYONE can clearly see in slow mo and at every angle? When the extent of their job is simply JUST TO GET A CALL RIGHT?

Even NESN took a while to come up with the stop action photo that showed his foot was off the bag; plus this process shall need refinement, sinc it's only been used for 2 weeks, and there's already been criticism it takes too long; the NFL, NBA, NHL, and NCAA after all ths time still doesn't get it right on occasion

It takes the viewing audience two seconds to see when the wrong call is made. Whatever your feeling is about that, it's the ONLY job they have. THEY should have the best technology to see what happened when it happened. It's very telling how many calls have been reversed.

And pointing out other sports who have bad calls made doesn't change this conversation. It shouldn't happen with instant replay. If you can see it when you're watching the game, you should be able to see it when your job is to analize all the data available to you and come to the same conclusion everyone else can see. If you can't do that, find another job.

It took two seconds for the viewing public to see it? That's news to me. And if you want perfection amongst the human species, technology tools or not, I'm afraid you're going to be terribly disappointed. The other sports are illustrative of that.

The point of replay was to get the call right. Viewers see the play in slow mo and different angles right after the play is made. They can see if the call was correct or not. That's what this process was supposed to be -- making the call that everyone sees.

The think tank that gets together to view the plays says they don't have the same video as the viewers. LOL How is that possible? If anything, they should have the same video and more. Apparently, that's going to be the new excuse to replace "bang-bang" play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

I guess John Farrell agrees

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   1m

Can’t say I’ve ever seen John Farrell quite that mad before. Fair to say he’s not a proponent of the replay system.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   5m

Farrell: “On the heels of [Saturday], it’s hard to have any faith in the system to be honest with you.”

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   4m

Farrell: “You would think that video replay would be conclusive. … Unfortunately we were on the wrong side of it both times.”

Of course we were. We were playing the Yankees. Btw, nice strike zone for the Yankees getting two inches off the plate on both sides. And I thought Mariano retired.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The point of replay was to get the call right. Viewers see the play in slow mo and different angles right after the play is made. They can see if the call was correct or not. That's what this process was supposed to be -- making the call that everyone sees.

The think tank that gets together to view the plays says they don't have the same video as the viewers. LOL How is that possible? If anything, they should have the same video and more. Apparently, that's going to be the new excuse to replace "bang-bang" play.

Agree here, and this I don't understand.

As far as supposed to get it right, that applied to umps in 1880 as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

And as far as this being some "new" technology and they are supposedly working out the kinks -- LOL. Unless their eyesight is new, and/or their knowledge of the game of baseball is new, there really shouldn't be a grace period for them to get the system right. The system is just looking at a screen and making the right call. Doesn't take a genius, and this being such a cushy job, there really should be no trouble getting someone who's eyesight is not new, and who's knowledge of baseball is not new.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

And as far as this being some "new" technology and they are supposedly working out the kinks -- LOL. Unless their eyesight is new, and/or their knowledge of the game of baseball is new, there really shouldn't be a grace period for them to get the system right. The system is just looking at a screen and making the right call. Doesn't take a genius, and this being such a cushy job, there really should be no trouble getting someone who's eyesight is not new, and who's knowledge of baseball is not new.

After the game, Major League Baseball said the conclusive angle was not immediately available and acknowledged that the call should have been made differently.

is that really so hard 2 understand

the problem was trying to get it done to fast

nothing close to your whine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

let me preface by saying, we all want them to get it right..but i think we can all agree that we knew it would be flawed from the outset..mainly because each and every play that gets looked at will start with human error. and some will still tend to trash the ump even when the play is overturned...i think sometimes we(the fans) overlook how tough a job it is...i totally agree with KST about the ALL teams aspect..

The whole point of review calls is to correct the human error aspect of the game. Its really not a tough job. These guys get tons of angles, speeds, etc. to get these calls right. The technology is there, there is no excuse to get these calls wrong. This call with just plain old replay was easy to make. Not in the least bit difficult. Whats going to happen when really tough calls have to be made if they cant even get the simple ones right. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I don't understand (and neither does ESPN) the comment that they weren't looking at the same video as everyone else watching the game. What video were they watching? Their own family video of the game?

What bothers me most about that comment is that no one asked them to elaborate on that. Everyone is just taking that as a normal response. That really HAS to be investigated more, since it makes no sense. Where is Joe Torre, and why doesn't he care about this since he was so concerned about the obstruction call and making it known that he thought it was the right call. Is this not about the right call?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

let me preface by saying, we all want them to get it right..but i think we can all agree that we knew it would be flawed from the outset..mainly because each and every play that gets looked at will start with human error. and some will still tend to trash the ump even when the play is overturned...i think sometimes we(the fans) overlook how tough a job it is...i totally agree with KST about the ALL teams aspect..

The whole point of review calls is to correct the human error aspect of the game. Its really not a tough job. These guys get tons of angles, speeds, etc. to get these calls right. The technology is there, there is no excuse to get these calls wrong. This call with just plain old replay was easy to make. Not in the least bit difficult. Whats going to happen when really tough calls have to be made if they cant even get the simple ones right. 

point taken, but it will still remain, also i apologize for not making it clear i was speaking on the field umps not the replay guys

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

but it was the yankees

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:

but it was the yankees

boy, that card never leaves the deckTongue Out Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

nice job this weekend by the unknown yankees relievers.  (and phelps). 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Sections
Shortcuts