Calling on the future ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Calling on the future ...

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice thread Yaz. We need something cheery these days.

I'm glad we kept our kids too, but only wish the moves we did make were geared towards helpingz us in 2014 and 2015 and not just being "bridge players".

[/QUOTE]

Keeping our "kids" is geared toward helping us in the future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm glad we kept our kids too, but only wish the moves we did make were geared towards helpingz us in 2014 and 2015 and not just being "bridge players".

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that doesn't mean all our signings had to be geared towards the here and now. They are not mutually exclusive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox have always had a problem producing and keeping young pitchers. Many of our greats have come from other organizations, Pedro, Schilling, Tiant , ( even Beckett , who was great it 2007).

I used to follow the Bruins ( back when hockey was worth it), and they had a similar problem with goalies. The few good ones they had always came from elsewhere, Cheevers, Gilbert, Peeters, Lemelin, Moog. When they did actuallt draft a talented goalie they would go on and have success elsewhere, Bernie Parent, Danny Bouchard , Bill Ranford.

The Red Sox need to draft , develope and keep some quality pitching. John Lester could easily have been given up on, but I give them credit for having faith that he will bounce back. Another lefthander that became a steady successful pitcher , John Tudor , was dealt away and became the ace for St. Louis Cardinals.

Oakland has a terrific track record for producing good young pitching. This team emphasizes pitching and they have a keen eye for talent in that area. Instead of throwing millions at has-been pitchers like Smoltz, Wells , Dumpster and similar useless pitchers, they would be better off hiring some decent scouts and coaches to imitate what Oakland does.

Unlike Oakland, the Red Sox have the money to keep these guys once they mature into MLB top tier pitchers. I would prefer this startegy to picking damaged goods off the scrap heap, which seems to be the logic used with our brilliant front office spin doctors.

[/QUOTE]Don Schwal  ???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That depends on what your definition of is is

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

John Valentin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That depends on what your definition of is is

[/QUOTE]
    Since the Sox aren't just going to "skip a year" in the real world and the free agent options were limited (there is no one who they "could" have signed that I wanted them to sign), I think Ben has done a solid job of putting together a competitive team so far without risking the future or getting caught up in "Feeding the Monster" like Lucchino and company did over the past few years.  I'm sure they would have liked to land a "shiny new star" to appease the fan base, but it's clearly been cost prohibitive to do so, as of yet.  Settle the first base situation, head to camp and see what happens.  If they are competitive near the deadline, they still have plenty of resources to go get what they need.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[/QUOTE]
    Since the Sox aren't just going to "skip a year" in the real world and the free agent options were limited (there is no one who they "could" have signed that I wanted them to sign), I think Ben has done a solid job of putting together a competitive team so far without risking the future or getting caught up in "Feeding the Monster" like Lucchino and company did over the past few years.  I'm sure they would have liked to land a "shiny new star" to appease the fan base, but it's clearly been cost prohibitive to do so, as of yet.  Settle the first base situation, head to camp and see what happens.  If they are competitive near the deadline, they still have plenty of resources to go get what they need.  

[/QUOTE]

Well put