Calm down. Did anyone watch the World Series this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Calm down. Did anyone watch the World Series this year?

Oh yeah, the Sox WON THE WORLD SERIES for the 3rd time in the last 10 years.

The farm system is loaded.

All of the pitchers are coming back (at this point) and pitching (and Papi) wins Championships.

$153,000,000 for 7 years?  WHAT? 

He is a very nice player, but I would have been FURIOUS if the Sox overpaid him like that.

It is December 3, about 4 MONTHS away from Opening Day.

Relax people and enjoy the holiday season!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Calm down. Did anyone watch the World Series this year?

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:

All of the pitchers are coming back (at this point) and pitching (and Papi) wins Championships.

He is a very nice player, but I would have been FURIOUS if the Sox overpaid him like that.

Agree + 1,000,000

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The thing is they need an Ofer now and the Yankees got better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Agreed, we just won the world series and our farm system is loaded. Pitching, Papi, and Pedroia help win champioships. Jacoby, when healthy, is going to play great in Yankee Stadium, whihs him well and move on.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

unfortunately you are right, but im glad the sox didnt give ells that kind of contract. he is a very good player, but that type of contract just isnt smart and rarely work. if they sign beltran or choo, they will be fine. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wow. A reasonable post with logic. You must be new here.

Completely agree with all of the above. I don't blame Ellsbury for taking the money, and I don't blame the Sox for not giving it to him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

losing jacoby is a big hit and it is a step in the right direction for the yankees.  Even though the farm system is loaded, it will be interesting to see if the sox go with jbj in center, or bring in someone.

Sorry to see him go

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

I'm sorry to see him go too. But, since he wasn't able to grow a beard the evil empire was his only logical choice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Despite all the crazy activity, we are still a week before the Winter Meetings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He funny thing is, know who is angrier than Sox fans about the contract he received?

Robinson Cano.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

That farm system offically added another first round pick today...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:

Agreed, we just won the world series and our farm system is loaded. Pitching, Papi, and Pedroia help win champioships. Jacoby, when healthy, is going to play great in Yankee Stadium, whihs him well and move on.    

Right. Wish him well as a Yankee. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I wish him a .185 BA and 4 stolen bases. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to notin's comment:

He funny thing is, know who is angrier than Sox fans about the contract he received?

Robinson Cano.

What they're guaranteeing Ellsbury (153) is only 15 less than their rumored offer to Cano (168). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Wow. A reasonable post with logic. You must be new here.

Completely agree with all of the above. I don't blame Ellsbury for taking the money, and I don't blame the Sox for not giving it to him.

Bigpapa has been warned, and any further transgressions of the 'no logic' rule will dealt with ruthlessly.

My view is that the NYY were going to spend.  Our best hope is that 20% extra in spending goes to waste.

Another way to look at it is that the NYY will spend more on Ellsbury at age 36, than we paid for his ages 24-29 combined.  

And they still need to sign Cano.  I like Ells as much as the next guy, but Cano is better.  So are the NYY going to tell Cano that an outsider, a good but not great player, is worth $22M * 7+1, but Cano is only worth $1M more per?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Robinson Cano.

What they're guaranteeing Ellsbury (153) is only 15 less than their rumored offer to Cano (168). 

Did not see your post, but same idea.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

So much for their staying below $189 M if they still do sign Cano.

Got to root for A-Rod to win his case and saddle them with his salary. I don't think he ever used steroids. Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I remember Damon jumping ship to the NYY was like a knife to the gut at the time. Jacoby? Well, it sucks, but most of us knew all along that he was gone. We were given plenty of notice that he was a stone-cold mercenary who would go where the most money was. The Red Sox made him several fair offers by all accounts, but he wanted the monster contract, and now he's got it. Not much of a shock here. You just move on.

We owe him many thanks for 2007 and 2013, but that won't save him from getting the Damon treatment at Fenway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't think of the Yankees as the evil empire but as a team that has made some bad deals over the past decade.  They're still turning a profit because they alone can afford those deals.

$153M for 7 years would have been a horrible deal for the Sox, and everyone on this board knows it.   On the other hand, even though Ellsbury's departure was preordained, it's still tough to lose him because he was a factor in two WS, 2007 and 2013.  And in 2011 he was only spectacular.  This year he was definitely one of the reasons why the Sox got to the playoffs and then went all the way.  

But the curse of the bambino, as much sense as it made when it was viable, is gone forever.  Johnny Damon did the same thing after 2004, but the Red Sox won the WS in 2007 without him.

Or put it this way.  Clearly, the Yankees need Ellsbury a whole lot more than the Sox do.  I think their thinking centered around making a splash given the likely departure of Cano and the possibilty that the RF porch will mean more dingers--a la 2011--for Ellsbury.  Plus he has important marquee value.  He is, as Willy Loman once said, known.  

We know Bradley can play CF and can hit AAA pitching.  As for the rest, we shall see.  If sabermetrics mean anything, not out bidding the Yankees makes all kinds of sense.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to proftom2's comment:

Right. Wish him well as a Yankee. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I wish him a .185 BA and 4 stolen bases. 

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

The Sox can't build their roster based on what the Yankees will do.

The Sox can refuse to overpay for a player, but they can't control who the Yankees sign.

Wake me when the Yankees rebuild their rotation.

That's when I'll consider worrying about them being "better".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The Sox winning the WS will also cause the Yanks to spend, spend, spend and trade like crazy this off season which is all you can do without a farm. 

I agree Ells was a good player but not 153mil worth of good at 7 years.  Choo would be much cheeper and bring us another high OBP with more pop. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Oh no!  The Yankees got better!  My holiday season is ruined!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

If they actually do get better mine still won't be ruined.  Ells/Grandy is a wash, McCann makes them better but losing Cano would make them much worse.  They need him back and some pitching before getting back in it to stay.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

If they actually do get better mine still won't be ruined.  Ells/Grandy is a wash, McCann makes them better but losing Cano would make them much worse.  They need him back and some pitching before getting back in it to stay.

Agreed completely.  If Ellsbury prevents them signing Cano, they get worse.  If they manage to sign Cano in addition to Ellsbury, they get better, but that will certainly prohibit signing a good starter.  So, upgraded line-up gets negated.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

can't pay Cano similar to Ells...........he won't like that at all.......I think his price just went up

Sections
Shortcuts