Calm down, please...... In Ben I trust .........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Calm down, please...... In Ben I trust .........

I think the Jays just got suckered into accepting huge payroll for a long period of time. That almost never works out. The Jays may finish ahead of us next year, but when the Sox are ready to contend in 2014 or 2015 the contracts the Jays just assimilated and the prospects it cost them will weigh on them like an albatross. That said, it would be nice to see some movement on the pitching front from our sluggish GM. So far he has done nothing to improve the main weakness of the team. Yes, there is still time, but some good news about progress in that direction would be welcome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Here is the problem in a nutshell. In Ben's first year as GM , the Sox had their worst team in years. 93 losses and a last place finish. His first moves were to let Papelbon go , and trade Reddick for Bailey.  That saved money , but hurt the ball club. As the season progressed, Ben did nothing but add a collection of mediocre ham and edgers, with predictable results. Then came the blockbuster deal with the Dodgers. Obviously done to free up money. The team collapsed. Now it is his second year as GM. He presumably has money to spend. So far , all he has done is sign a 35  year old backup catcher. Toronto has come out swinging. No wonder why many of us do not have faith in him. We have watched our team go from first to worst.  We would like to see some results.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

What facts are those, Dale?

Did you want to trade for Buerhle and his 48mil/3 year contract?

Or Reyes for his 96 mi/ 5 year contract?

Does that sound like a good plan to you?

I'm sure they'd be real diffrence-makkers, considering the Marlin's record last year.

I don't need to wait until the Sox are out of the playoffs next year.

If BC doesn't make some moves to try to improve the pitching staff, by the start of ST, I'll be pissed.

But, I'm also not 12.

I can understand that the Sox are going to have all their moves completed 3 WEEKS after the season ends.

If you've got more "facts" for me, let's hear them.

I live in Southern Ontario, always been a Red Sox fan first. The city of Toronto and their sports team needed to catch the fans eyes. I went to live Blue Jay games, and see a lot of empty seats. It is a gamble for the Jays organization, but is a good marketing plan at the moment to get fans back to the stadium. Sports is a business do what you need to do to make money by getting into the post season. It did not pan out for Miami now we just wait and see if will for the Jays.

I agree with you 4 b's that the Red Sox need to strengthen their pitching roster first.

It's a significant risk for Toronto.

But, as you said, they needed to make a splash to get fans back in the seats.

The Sox tried the same thing with the Crawford and Lackey signings and it backfired on them.

I hope they don't do the same thing again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ben does seem to be still in somewhat of a bind.  He's got lots of money to play with but not really a lot of great targets out there.  We don't want to trade our prospects, the only real trade piece we have is Ellsbury.  So that leaves overpriced free agents. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Ben does seem to be still in somewhat of a bind.  He's got lots of money to play with but not really a lot of great targets out there.  We don't want to trade our prospects, the only real trade piece we have is Ellsbury.  So that leaves overpriced free agents. 

Yup, it's nice to have payroll, but there's not much to spend it on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Here is the problem in a nutshell. In Ben's first year as GM , the Sox had their worst team in years. 93 losses and a last place finish. His first moves were to let Papelbon go , and trade Reddick for Bailey.  That saved money , but hurt the ball club. As the season progressed, Ben did nothing but add a collection of mediocre ham and edgers, with predictable results. Then came the blockbuster deal with the Dodgers. Obviously done to free up money. The team collapsed. Now it is his second year as GM. He presumably has money to spend. So far , all he has done is sign a 35  year old backup catcher. Toronto has come out swinging. No wonder why many of us do not have faith in him. We have watched our team go from first to worst.  We would like to see some results.

please dont confuse bootlickers with facts...just stick to bashing Valentine (forget about who actually hired him and then UNDERMINED him) and tow the company line...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Too much "PANIC" in the early going......  I have full trust in Ben C. doing the right things/moves...... Forget the Marlons & Jays, that was just a "dump" of overrated, overpaid player$ ....  How did that work out for th Dodgers ??.... All the Jays just did was to get $uckered !!!

Bill, I can see you have developed PESD. You are starting to sound like the other kool-aid drinkers on this forum.

Can you believe some of the pollyanna crap that has been posted on this thread.  Ike, let me tell you that Pollyannism is running rampant on this board.  My God, don't they know that we have perhaps the worst GM in the business running the show?  He has two speed, slower and slowest and from his miserable job last winter why anyone would have confidence in the guy is beyond me. We're still picking coaches while other teams are signing or trading players.  By the  time Bunglin' Benny gets moving every player we wanted will be gone.  You just watch

Is that why Sawxheads is so "civil", Fred?

No one is allowed to be a "pollyanna"?

4B's---We are very civil now over there; the agitators who were actually pollyannas were so intolerant of those of us who hammered away at the ineptitude of the Red Sox  that they decided to leave the board.  That's democracy.  Now you say that if Bunglin' Ben doesn't get the team  up to speed by the end of the Hot Stove League season you will be heard from.  Fine!  I hope that is true and I expect that we will hear no more defending that incompetent.  OTOH, if he does get his act together and makes the moves that give  us a chance next season, remind me of it and I will be most happy and willing to give my Mea Culpa.  I've seen over the years, however, that those fans who defend the front office through thick and thin continue to do so even when evidence is so heavily weighted against them.  It's a deal 4B!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Too much "PANIC" in the early going......  I have full trust in Ben C. doing the right things/moves...... Forget the Marlons & Jays, that was just a "dump" of overrated, overpaid player$ ....  How did that work out for th Dodgers ??.... All the Jays just did was to get $uckered !!!

Bill, I can see you have developed PESD. You are starting to sound like the other kool-aid drinkers on this forum.

Can you believe some of the pollyanna crap that has been posted on this thread.  Ike, let me tell you that Pollyannism is running rampant on this board.  My God, don't they know that we have perhaps the worst GM in the business running the show?  He has two speed, slower and slowest and from his miserable job last winter why anyone would have confidence in the guy is beyond me. We're still picking coaches while other teams are signing or trading players.  By the  time Bunglin' Benny gets moving every player we wanted will be gone.  You just watch

4B's---We are very civil now over there; the agitators who were actually pollyannas were so intolerant of those of us who hammered away at the ineptitude of the Red Sox  that they decided to leave the board.  That's democracy.  Now you say that if Bunglin' Ben doesn't get the team  up to speed by the end of the Hot Stove League season you will be heard from.  Fine!  I hope that is true and I expect that we will hear no more defending that incompetent.  OTOH, if he does get his act together and makes the moves that give  us a chance next season, remind me of it and I will be most happy and willing to give my Mea Culpa.  I've seen over the years, however, that those fans who defend the front office through thick and thin continue to do so even when evidence is so heavily weighted against them.  It's a deal 4B!!!!

Frankly, Fred, I'm not the least bit interested in what you will or will not say.

You simply repeat the same BS in every post anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Frankly, Fred, I'm not the least bit interested in what you will or will not say.

Then don't read my posts and put me on ignore.  The fact that you do read them tells me either you're more interested in them that you'd like to admit or you're a  glutten for punishment.  What I repeat is BS to you because if runs counter to your pollyanna beliefs.  I've also been warned that no matter how poorly Cherington does this off season you will still be singing his praises.  And that is totally pathetic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Then don't read my posts and put me on ignore.  The fact that you do read them tells me either you're more interested in them that you'd like to admit or you're a  glutten for punishment.  What I repeat is BS to you because if runs counter to your pollyanna beliefs.  I've also been warned that no matter how poorly Cherington does this off season you will still be singing his praises.  And that is totally pathetic.

Everyone is entitled to see and state things as they see fit, fred. Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes. No need for the forum otherwise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what has 4BS written that is even worth reading? Crawford and lackey were bad deals - lets not do it again....the free agent market is weak.....thanks for all the great insight you monosyllabic fool....seabeach actually has insight, not lame talking points...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

what has 4BS written that is even worth reading? Crawford and lackey were bad deals - lets not do it again....the free agent market is weak.....thanks for all the great insight you monosyllabic fool....seabeach actually has insight, not lame talking points...

Thanks Georom!!!!  The good thing about this board is that we have a number of posters who seem to know what they're talking about.  The others?  Well, like you, I suffer fools very badly

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Why, because fred agrees with you? To each his own, geo. FWIW, I enjoy 4B's posts. That's what this is all about, isn't it?? Agree, disagree or agree to disagree.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

One man's insight is another man's lame talking points.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Ireally don't think it's about panic....Iwould say it's more about not growing up ! The posters  on here seems like a bunch of inmature fans who act like twelve year olds. Things like lets trade our farm system for Tori Hunter. Iwould giveu up half our team for a # 4 starter.Instead of being stupid  on here why not go for a job in the media. Thats how they act.............

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Oh yeah Mike Cameron At 13 million and John Lackey at 82 million were great pickups insteahd of paying Jason Bay 60 million over 4 years. Bay was playoff tested and performed well as well as a bonafide homerun hitter who was right handed. If the Red Sox had signed him he would have had a better fate than what happened with the Mets. Our GM is in over his head thats why Larry Luchinno's contract was picked up by Henry again. Plus Larry engineered the The Dodger "Salary  Dump" that saved more money for John Henry to line his pockets with at the end of the season. he saved milliosn the last month of the season and put garbage on the field and charged top dollar for itvat Fenway.

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to AL34's comment:

Yeah, whats all the panic about, don't worry Young Ben is going to do something big like Larry Luchinno always says, this might mean we will get Jason Bay at a major league minimal salary, three years too late. We are always in on stuff preliminarily but could not meet in the middle. Tired of hearing this BS.

We have a puppet GM who is a "Babe in the woods" and Larry Luchinno who the game has passed by as the puppet master. What a joke this franchise has become, really, really sad, acting like paupers and a small market team.

Three years too late on Jason Bay? Really?

So you thought we should have beaten the Mets offer of 4x$16.5 three years ago, but you'd complain now if he was brought back for a minimal-risk roll of the dice? Explain that one to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Every player that is mentioned, someone will find a reason not to sign him.   Papelbon: Too much money for a closer.   Hamilton:  Drug issues.  Greinke: Anxiety , can't pitch in Boston.  Reyes: Hamstring problems. Johnson: Hot  and  cold. Hunter: Too old. Sanchez: Not that good for the price.  So forth and so on. Then they say it is not a good year for free agents. Asian pitcher: no good, we got burned with DiceK.  Even our own guys. Ortiz: Too old, breaking down. Ellsbury: Injury prone plus Boras. Ross: Wants too much.  The so called positive fans are actually the most negative. Always finding an excuse to do nothing.  God forbid we make another mistake. Let's be patient and wait for our " kids " to come up and save the day. Well , if that is the master plan, be prepared for a long drought. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Agee completely, and well said. I have been saying this over the last year that he was in way over his head. He should have been let go when Theo left for Chicago.

response to dgalehouse's comment:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

concerned about Sox lack of pitching though.......and lack of making a move to repair it.

I tend to agree with you and I would rather him take him time then rush to sign someone who does not fit.   But before he goes out and hires two hitting coaches, he needs to hire some hitters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

You gotta know when to hold em

(Ortiz)

Know when to fold em

(Agon/Crawford/Beckett)

Know when to walk away

(Hunter)

Know when to run

(Johnson/Reyes/Bheurle)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

(Ortiz)

Know when to fold em

(Agon/Crawford/Beckett)

Know when to walk away

(Hunter)

Know when to run

(Johnson/Reyes/Bheurle)

you got to know when your team won 69 games and all three of your managerial choices in 2012 are last place managers

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

(Ortiz)

Know when to fold em

(Agon/Crawford/Beckett)

Know when to walk away

(Hunter)

Know when to run

(Johnson/Reyes/Bheurle)

you got to know when your team won 69 games and all three of your managerial choices in 2012 are last place managers

Tell me about it.  Thats what happens when you run the best manager this town ever knew out of town.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

(Ortiz)

Know when to fold em

(Agon/Crawford/Beckett)

Know when to walk away

(Hunter)

Know when to run

(Johnson/Reyes/Bheurle)

Tell me about it.  Thats what happens when you run the best manager this town ever knew out of town.  

i wasnt a fan but valentine cetainly wasnt the solution so even though i cant believe farrell was actually chosen to right the ship, he is the closest thing to hiring him back....and space, the idiot players ended tito's run, not the management.... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Wake me when Ben makes a move to help the team instead of picking up a second string catcher to help the team break another part (Saltalamachia) and pick up a pice. Reminds me of the Dutch boy with his fingers in the dike.

Sections
Shortcuts