Calm down, please...... In Ben I trust .........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Calm down, please...... In Ben I trust .........

Its a great trade for the Jays if Josh Johnson and Reyes stay healthy.  Its not if they dont.  Its that simple.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Toronto had to make a splash.

In 1991, 1992 and 1993, the Blue Jays led the majors in attendence (over 4 million fans). 

Now, the stadium is empty. 

This is a great move for the Blue Jays organization and its fans. 

If healthy, this team will make a run at a wild card berth. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Anyone think the Jays go all out and make a run for Hamilton?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good question.   :)

I doubt Toronto will go after Hamilton (especially after taking around $150 million in contracts from the Marlins).  My guess is Baltimore will sign Hamilton. 

The AL East has now become an even more competitive division. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Softlawes. Show Softlawes's posts

Bill, what ruined the Malins won't save the Jays. You are correct on that.

You are wrong on Cherry, he's incompetent and already paid nearly double for a player he could have had for nearly half that cost.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, whats all the panic about, don't worry Young Ben is going to do something big like Larry Luchinno always says, this might mean we will get Jason Bay at a major league minimal salary, three years too late. We are always in on stuff preliminarily but could not meet in the middle. Tired of hearing this BS.

We have a puppet GM who is a "Babe in the woods" and Larry Luchinno who the game has passed by as the puppet master. What a joke this franchise has become, really, really sad, acting like paupers and a small market team.

[/QUOTE]

Three years too late on Jason Bay? Really?

So you thought we should have beaten the Mets offer of 4x$16.5 three years ago, but you'd complain now if he was brought back for a minimal-risk roll of the dice? Explain that one to me.

[/QUOTE]

Fred is a firm believer in all things quick.

If he was the GM, the entire roster would be in place before December.  And the team would be elinimated from the playoffs before June.

But it would all be quick...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah, whats all the panic about, don't worry Young Ben is going to do something big like Larry Luchinno always says, this might mean we will get Jason Bay at a major league minimal salary, three years too late. We are always in on stuff preliminarily but could not meet in the middle. Tired of hearing this BS.

We have a puppet GM who is a "Babe in the woods" and Larry Luchinno who the game has passed by as the puppet master. What a joke this franchise has become, really, really sad, acting like paupers and a small market team.

[/QUOTE]

So you thought we should have beaten the Mets offer of 4x$16.5 three years ago, but you'd complain now if he was brought back for a minimal-risk roll of the dice? Explain that one to me.

[/QUOTE]

Fred is a firme ha believer in all things quick.

ameron

If he was the GM, the entire roster would be in place before December.  And the team would be elinimated from the playoffs before June.

[/QUOTE]

He was a good player for us in 2008 and 2009 and would have had a much better fate than he hadvwith the Mets. If he had been signed we  would not have needed Mike "No Hit" Cameron or Carl Crawford at 160 million dollars 60 million is a lot cheaper than 160 million on Crawford the last time I looked.

BTW Torri Hunter is gone as well to Detroit today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fred is a firme ha believer in all things quick.

ameron

[/QUOTE]

He was a good player for us in 2008 and 2009 and would have had a much better fate than he hadvwith the Mets. If he had been signed we  would not have needed Mike "No Hit" Cameron or Carl Crawford at 160 million dollars 60 million is a lot cheaper than 160 million on Crawford the last time I looked.

BTW Torri Hunter is gone as well to Detroit today.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox are still trying to play the moneyball game. Instead of just going out and getting the players they need to win a championship, they are acting on the cheap and putting OBP ahead of production.

[/QUOTE]

Huh?  Did I miss them acquiring some high-OBP guys recently?

[/QUOTE]

the "sky is falling" ones on here are funny. The are reacting to their own predictions and opinions.

If the Sox have done little come ST, then I will be the first one to say so and voice my displeasure. But until then, theres absolutely no reason to. Im not going to over react to every move made by another team.

The ones currently complaining should relax and please dont suggest they know what my reaction will be if nothing is done, because apparently they have no idea. Just cause I dont complain about everything like they are, doesnt mean I wont if Ben dosnt improve this team for 2013.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Every player that is mentioned, someone will find a reason not to sign him.   Papelbon: Too much money for a closer.   Hamilton:  Drug issues.  Greinke: Anxiety , can't pitch in Boston.  Reyes: Hamstring problems. Johnson: Hot  and  cold. Hunter: Too old. Sanchez: Not that good for the price.  So forth and so on. Then they say it is not a good year for free agents. Asian pitcher: no good, we got burned with DiceK.  Even our own guys. Ortiz: Too old, breaking down. Ellsbury: Injury prone plus Boras. Ross: Wants too much.  The so called positive fans are actually the most negative. Always finding an excuse to do nothing.  God forbid we make another mistake. Let's be patient and wait for our " kids " to come up and save the day. Well , if that is the master plan, be prepared for a long drought. 

[/QUOTE]

I thought they would and should resign paps. Id take Hamilton at no more than 4 years at a higher annual salary, for obvious reasons. Grienke, No. I wanted Hunter, Sanchez would be nice too. I was all for signing Papi, never called Ells injury prone. Ross DOES want too much, but still willing to give him a 3/18 deal.

So apparently you shouldnt throw a blanket over some of us that are just being level-headed.

Oh, and I cant wait to see how some of our prospects handle the big time in Boston. I think most of us are. Im certainly not relying on them to take us to the promise land though. thats not realistic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Every player that is mentioned, someone will find a reason not to sign him.   Papelbon: Too much money for a closer.   Hamilton:  Drug issues.  Greinke: Anxiety , can't pitch in Boston.  Reyes: Hamstring problems. Johnson: Hot  and  cold. Hunter: Too old. Sanchez: Not that good for the price.  So forth and so on. Then they say it is not a good year for free agents. Asian pitcher: no good, we got burned with DiceK.  Even our own guys. Ortiz: Too old, breaking down. Ellsbury: Injury prone plus Boras. Ross: Wants too much.  The so called positive fans are actually the most negative. Always finding an excuse to do nothing.  God forbid we make another mistake. Let's be patient and wait for our " kids " to come up and save the day. Well , if that is the master plan, be prepared for a long drought. 

[/QUOTE]

I thought they would and should resign paps. Id take Hamilton at no more than 4 years at a higher annual salary, for obvious reasons. Grienke, No. I wanted Hunter, Sanchez would be nice too. I was all for signing Papi, never called Ells injury prone. Ross DOES want too much, but still willing to give him a 3/18 deal.

So apparently you shouldnt throw a blanket over some of us that are just being level-headed.

Oh, and I cant wait to see how some of our prospects handle the big time in Boston. I think most of us are. Im certainly not relying on them to take us to the promise land though. thats not realistic.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Softlawes's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bill, what ruined the Malins won't save the Jays. You are correct on that.

You are wrong on Cherry, he's incompetent and already paid nearly double for a player he could have had for nearly half that cost.

[/QUOTE]Softy, Time will tell....  However, Our board friends should/will note that you & I don't always agree !!!! 95% is gooood !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to iamme17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too much "PANIC" in the early going......  I have full trust in Ben C. doing the right things/moves...... Forget the Marlons & Jays, that was just a "dump" of overrated, overpaid player$ ....  How did that work out for th Dodgers ??.... All the Jays just did was to get $uckered !!!

[/QUOTE] A couple of days ago the jays were 35-1 in las vegas future books for the 2013 WS....now they joined the big boys,Rangers,Yanks,Angels.Reds,Giants, and just behind the fav's the tigers and nationals without actually depleting their very good farm system.Suckered?????

[/QUOTE]

Weren't the Red Sox favorites to win it all in 2011 after Agon trade and Crawford signing? How did that work out? Splashy moves are great for selling tickets. But taking on 160 mil in Salaries for 2 guys w/ injury history [Reyes & Johnson]; 1 guy at end of career [Buerle]; another catcher we don't need, and Bonificio who would help thin outfield really doesn't make alot of sense, considering they were asking for Middlebrooks, Boegarts, +...If Matt Cain or Cole Hammels had made it to FA, I would be all in for spending the $. But that deal comes w/ too much risk & money and think Ben did right thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup, I'd be thrilled if the Sox signed Hamilton for 25 mil/3 years.

He's not going to be productive for all of a 5 year deal.

I wouldn't trust Greinke for more than 2 years.

Unfortunately, there will be other teams willing to give them both longer contracts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good question.   :)

I doubt Toronto will go after Hamilton (especially after taking around $150 million in contracts from the Marlins).  My guess is Baltimore will sign Hamilton. 

The AL East has now become an even more competitive division. 

[/QUOTE]

I have the same gut feeling that Balt. will get Josh Hamilton also. Hamilton is a power hitter so there other teams that may get him ie Wsh., Chi Sox, Philly, San Diego. Nothing against Josh but I will not want to see him in a Red Sox uniform.

Toronto best martketing move would be to sign Jason Bay, Just because he is Canadian born and Toronto fans do like him. Playing as a back up OF'er to start and see how he revovers from that point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I agree with you boborielly224  :)

I think a change of scenary will help Jason Bay (especially playing in front of his fellow countrymen).  

Players such as Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, John Olerud, Dave Winfield, David Cone, Roger Clemens all said that they were comfortable and relaxed playing in Toronto.  

Rumors are, Toronto is trying to have Bobby Cox as their manager.  

Cox guided the Blue Jays to the playoffs in 1985 and guided the Braves to success too.  

Like I said, the AL East is now a very competitive division.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with you boborielly224  :)

I think a change of scenary will help Jason Bay (especially playing in front of his fellow countrymen).  

Players such as Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, John Olerud, Dave Winfield, David Cone, Roger Clemens all said that they were comfortable and relaxed playing in Toronto.  

Rumors are, Toronto is trying to have Bobby Cox as their manager.  

Cox guided the Blue Jays to the playoffs in 1985 and guided the Braves to success too.  

Like I said, the AL East is now a very competitive division.

[/QUOTE]

Bobby Cox said no, but Toronto wants a veteran manager.  Mike Hargrove has been mentioned....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup, I'd be thrilled if the Sox signed Hamilton for 25 mil/3 years.

He's not going to be productive for all of a 5 year deal.

I wouldn't trust Greinke for more than 2 years.

Unfortunately, there will be other teams willing to give them both longer contracts.

[/QUOTE]

One of the big mistakes the Red Sox have made over the past few years has  been signings players ill suited by either character or temperment to playing in Boston.  I haven't heard a single Boston sport writer who thinks either Greinke or Hamilton have the character or temperment to paly in Boston.  Most if not all have written against such a signing.  If i am wrong then someone pleasae entighten me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Red Sox are still trying to play the moneyball game. Instead of just going out and getting the players they need to win a championship, they are acting on the cheap and putting OBP ahead of production.

[/QUOTE]

Huh?  Did I miss them acquiring some high-OBP guys recently?

[/QUOTE]

David Ross? His OBP for most of his career has been well above his BA. out of 11 years, only 3 or 4 had it been below .350.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

Ben does seem to be still in somewhat of a bind.  He's got lots of money to play with but not really a lot of great targets out there.  We don't want to trade our prospects, the only real trade piece we have is Ellsbury.  So that leaves overpriced free agents. 

[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of pitchers available via FA. That's where he needs to go first. Trades can pretty much be done any time, but the FAs won't be there long.

With jackson, Sanchez, Greinke, McCarthy, Villanueva, Lohse, and others there for the taking, why hasn't he moved on any of them. these are all solid pitchers, most still young.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ben does seem to be still in somewhat of a bind.  He's got lots of money to play with but not really a lot of great targets out there.  We don't want to trade our prospects, the only real trade piece we have is Ellsbury.  So that leaves overpriced free agents. 

[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of pitchers available via FA. That's where he needs to go first. Trades can pretty much be done any time, but the FAs won't be there long.

With jackson, Sanchez, Greinke, McCarthy, Villanueva, Lohse, and others there for the taking, why hasn't he moved on any of them. these are all solid pitchers, most still young.

[/QUOTE]

We certainly need pitching.  But the issue is, do we want to sign a Greinke for $100 million plus or a Sanchez for $70 million or whatever he's going to get?  Free agent pitching is extremely expensive and risky.  We have gotten burned on several free agents recently.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We certainly need pitching.  But the issue is, do we want to sign a Greinke for $100 million plus or a Sanchez for $70 million or whatever he's going to get?  Free agent pitching is extremely expensive and risky.  We have gotten burned on several free agents recently.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we should ignore all FA SP just because they are expensive. Some, like Greinke who does not have the temperment to pitch in Boston, should be avoided IMO. Its the job of the GM to competently identify those FA SP who can perform and separate them from those who cannot. I could see signing maybe one FA SP, but the emphasis should be on stockpiling great SP prospects who will be ML ready in a couple of years as well as making sure that the flow from our minor leagues will continue for as long as possible. We do have some trading chips in Ellsbury, Saltalamacchia, and some of the minor league position players. I am not saying we trade everyone for pitching, but a look at how steep a fall the team's pitching has taken since 2007 should tell you that that has to be reversed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts