Can Beckett do what Pedro did?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Can Beckett do what Pedro did?

Beckett seems to be at a point in his career that Pedro also hit.  Beckett no longer ramps his fastball into the mid 90s - staying consistently 90-92.  There are times it seems he gets too stubborn with his fastball.  But, as he has shown this year, he has flashes of being very effective when he mixes in the sinker and curve (occasional change) with his fastball - locating all of them. 

Pedro seemed to hit this same spot in his career, and many thought he was done.  He did a decent job learning how to "pitch" rather than relying on being more of a power pitcher.  I think Beckett has the same ability to "pitch" if he doesn't get too stubborn.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Can Beckett do what Pedro did?

Same question needs to be presented to one Jon Tyler Lester

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Tonight's 4th inning was a prime example.  Beckett was solid the first 1-2 times through the order, but he is not very good about adjusting throughout the game.  I think this is his major problem - not location.  Beckett has rarely left the ball over the plate tonight, at least through 4 innings.

However, if you watch Lester he will leave a ton of balls over the middle of the plate.  I think the two are suffering from two different issues.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

another quality start for JB...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Can Beckett do what Pedro did?:
    [QUOTE]Tonight's 4th inning was a prime example.  Beckett was solid the first 1-2 times through the order, but he is not very good about adjusting throughout the game.  I think this is his major problem - not location.  Beckett has rarely left the ball over the plate tonight, at least through 4 innings. However, if you watch Lester he will leave a ton of balls over the middle of the plate.  I think the two are suffering from two different issues.
    Posted by IowaSoxFan[/QUOTE]

they lost their stuff and now they need to learn how to pitch

but IMO they cutter, unless it is properly executed, is the most hittable pitch on the planet........

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Beckett is an odd year guy. He pitches much better in odd years than he does in even years. Last he had an era under 3. In 2010, his era was in high 5s. The year before that, an era in the 3s. In 08, era over 4. In 07, low 3s. In 06, back up to 5. His whole career has literally been good/bad/good. He's never shown improvement 2 years in a row nor had 2 bad years in a row.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Do you mean burn out at 34?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]another quality start for JB...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I believe 6 inning with 3 or less ER does classify as a quality start.  So, yes he did put up a quality start.  Beckett is not that far away, and I have to give him credit for bouncing back tonight and pitching well against a good offense.  I have been as tough on him as anyone, but he deserves his due tonight.

Hopefully he can finish strong or BV uses him correctly and the Sox can win this one.  If Beckett can continue to put up quality starts like this, coupled with Bucholtz continuing to pitch as he has for the past 8 starts, this team is certainly a contender.  A move for a Josh Johnson would make this a good staff.  A 1-2-3 of Bucholtz, Johnson and Beckett is solid.  Felix will be a consistent #4.  If Lester finds any sort of comeback the pitching is there.

I wouldn't have said that a week ago.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Wow.  Vintage 2012 Beckett.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Can Beckett do what Pedro did?:
    [QUOTE]Beckett seems to be at a point in his career that Pedro also hit.  Beckett no longer ramps his fastball into the mid 90s - staying consistently 90-92.  There are times it seems he gets too stubborn with his fastball.  But, as he has shown this year, he has flashes of being very effective when he mixes in the sinker and curve (occasional change) with his fastball - locating all of them.  Pedro seemed to hit this same spot in his career, and many thought he was done.  He did a decent job learning how to "pitch" rather than relying on being more of a power pitcher.  I think Beckett has the same ability to "pitch" if he doesn't get too stubborn.
    Posted by IowaSoxFan[/QUOTE]

No because he doesn't have the heart like Pedro did. Next question.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While Quality Starts don´t tell the whole picture, it is interesting to note...

QS%
    1) Cook 67% (4/6)
    2) Beck 60% (10/16 not counting tonight)
    3) Doub 53% (10/19)
    4) Lest   50% (10/20) League avg is 50%
    5) Buch  41% (7/17)
    6) Bard   30% (3/10)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Can Beckett do what Pedro did? : No because he doesn't have the heart like Pedro did. Next question.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  I think Beckett right now expects bad things to happen in Boston, and they are.  He pitched a solid game, but the ending said it all.  In my opinion he was competing and trying too hard.

Hopefully a start like this will open some eyes of teams looking for pitching.  If I am BC I am on the phone with Atlanta right now, among others. 

There were times when Pedro was not exactly known for being a warrior - especially later in his career.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox have 4 hits. That won't beat AAA teams. The problem isn't the pitching staff. With Ortiz, the offense had a massive hole in the middle. Without Ortiz, the offense is pitifully incapable of sustaining the game to game percentage production that a team what plays in Fenway and the AL EAst must have to be contenders.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.  That's why Beckett, Ross, Aviles, whoever has value should be shopped.  All the parts just aren't there.  When this team pitches, they don't hit.  When they hit, they don't pitch. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]While Quality Starts don´t tell the whole picture, it is interesting to note... QS% 1) Cook 67% (4/6) 2) Beck 60% (10/16 not counting tonight) 3) Doub 53% (10/19) 4) Lest   50% (10/20) League avg is 50% 5) Buch  41% (7/17) 6) Bard   30% (3/10)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon - So Beckett is now 10/17. Put on your stats hat (because you are good at it) and come up with a quick analysis comparing pitchers making, let's say $13M+ this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to "Can Beckett do what Pedro did?": [QUOTE]Beckett seems to be at a point in his career that Pedro also hit.  Beckett no longer ramps his fastball into the mid 90s - staying consistently 90-92.  There are times it seems he gets too stubborn with his fastball.  But, as he has shown this year, he has flashes of being very effective when he mixes in the sinker and curve (occasional change) with his fastball - locating all of them.  Pedro seemed to hit this same spot in his career, and many thought he was done.  He did a decent job learning how to "pitch" rather than relying on being more of a power pitcher.  I think Beckett has the same ability to "pitch" if he doesn't get too stubborn. Posted by IowaSoxFan[/QUOTE] I agree

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

If you mean "Can Beckett go to the Mets?"

My answer is:  I sure hope so.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Josh Beckett, and Pedro Martinez should not even be mentioned in the same sentence, sorry.

Pedro was a competitor, a gamer, Josh Beckett is a bum, and a loser.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Was Josh really solid the first two innings or was it that the Texas bats had not warmed up yet? Seems anytime a pitcher has a 1-2-3 inning the posters rave about how solid he was if we could only take away that one bad inning.

Reminds me of Crawford, he goes 3-4 and the "he has turned a corner" crowd that comes roaring out in droves.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the sox can get a lot for Beckett right now. He may not be motivated, but is anyone on this team? On a winning team, he'll be just fine. You're a GM. You need pitching help for the stretch run. Beckett's salary isn't all that high (he's not making Crawford money). you're going to have to give up prospects to get a good pitcher. Would you prefer giving up those prospects for pitcher in the final year of his contract or for a good pitcher that's going to stick around for a while? Here's a nasty thought. No matter what you do, you still got Lackey coming back next year. How's this for a rotation - Beckett, Lackey, and Lester. That should make for an exciting opening series next year.