Can Bobby Jenks turn it around?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Can Bobby Jenks turn it around?

Does anyone think Bobby Jenks can turn it around this year? I've heard ecouraging things out of Spring Training already, I hope it's a sign of good things to come from the guy!

Pete Abraham - "A much slimmer Bobby Jenks Showed up in Red Sox camp today"

Nick Cafardo  -" Bobby Jenks looks like he's lost a person"

Work(s) Cited

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Can Bobby Jenks turn it around?

Stod, kudos for starting this thread.  Even mentioning Jenk's name is grounds for endless mock and ridicule here it seems.  I, personally, am not holding out too much hope.  But I am certainly in Wait-and-See mode with Big Bobby.  If he can even get back to 75% of his former bad-azzness, Aceves/Jenks/Melancon/Bailey is a frightening back end ... in a good way.   And really, all that has been standing in his way of getting back there is a wall of hamburger.  If he has torn down that wall with a salad sledge, LOOK OUT.  Bring back the pink beard!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Can Bobby Jenks turn it around?:
    Does anyone think Bobby Jenks can turn it around this year? I've heard ecouraging things out of Spring Training already, I hope it's a sign of good things to come from the guy! Pete Abraham - "A much slimmer Bobby Jenks Showed up in Red Sox camp today" Nick Cafardo   -" Bobby Jenks looks like he's lost a person" Work(s) Cited https://twitter.com/#!/nickcafardo https://twitter.com/#!/PeteAbe
    Posted by stodknocker

I'd like to see how he pitches first, but anything is possible, I guess.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Seems like alot of this pitching staff is "throw it against the wall and see what sticks..."   Hopefully he sticks and is close to his old self.  I do agree though that there is a great deal of potential here...lets just keep our fingers crossed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Can Bobby Jenks turn it around?:
    Seems like alot of this pitching staff is "throw it against the wall and see what sticks..."   Hopefully he sticks and is close to his old self.  I do agree though that there is a great deal of potential here...lets just keep our fingers crossed.
    Posted by never1954

Most teams do this, particularly when the pickin's are slim in free agency, like this year.

I know it's an oft repeated example, but the Yankees got away with it last year with Garcia, Colon and Nova.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Nick Cafardo followed up with:

"Just to reiterate I was shocked at how thin Bobby Jenks was. He had two back surgeries. Somewhere around mid march should ready to throw."

http://twitter.com/#!/nickcafardo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I certainly hope he does, he would be a suprise, value added back end BP pitcher. If he does not, no real loss in that we have not included him in any plans for 2012 as far as I know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I certainly hope he does, he would be a suprise, value added back end BP pitcher. If he does not, no real loss in that we have not included him in any plans for 2012 as far as I know.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

If he doesn't have anything left in that big ol' tank, Valentine would be smart to station him in the clubhouse and take care of all the chicken and beer.  That way, Beer Boys problem solved and Jenks earns his guaranteed money.  Bobby V. thinks outside the (Popeye's) box.  He will surely see this opportunity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Can Bobby Jenks turn it around? : If he doesn't have anything left in that big ol' tank, Valentine would be smart to station him in the clubhouse and take care of all the chicken and beer.  That way, Beer Boys problem solved and Jenks earns his guaranteed money.  Bobby V. thinks outside the (Popeye's) box.  He will surely see this opportunity.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

LOL  They finally got to you, Space!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Can Bobby Jenks turn it around? : LOL  They finally got to you, Space!!
    Posted by ThefourBs

Jes sayin, is there anything better than fried chicken and beer?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Can Bobby Jenks turn it around? : Jes sayin, is there anything better than fried chicken and beer?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    BOBBY WHO ?????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

In Response to Re: Can Bobby Jenks turn it around? : If he doesn't have anything left in that big ol' tank, Valentine would be smart to station him in the clubhouse and take care of all the chicken and beer.  That way, Beer Boys problem solved and Jenks earns his guaranteed money.  Bobby V. thinks outside the (Popeye's) box.  He will surely see this opportunity.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Actually Jenks had that job last year until September and was good at it until Beckett and Lackey bribed him with an unlimited supply of Chicago Deep Dish pizzas. When Beckett and Lackey reneged on their side of the deal, Jenks went to Bob Hohler with what happened. The rest is history.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Losing a bunch of weight isn't necessarily a good thing. Think about it. His mechanics are molded to his fatness and he may need to learn to pitch all over again, if the loss is significant.
    It's a lot like the golf swing. It gets altered tremendously when there is significant weight loss or gain.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Bobby Junks won't be available until July at the earliest.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Losing a bunch of weight isn't necessarily a good thing. Think about it. His mechanics are molded to his fatness and he may need to learn to pitch all over again, if the loss is significant. It's a lot like the golf swing. It gets altered tremendously when there is significant weight loss or gain.
    Posted by Alibiike

However it might be the first time that he could look past his stomach and see the golfball on the tee.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Losing a bunch of weight isn't necessarily a good thing. Think about it. His mechanics are molded to his fatness and he may need to learn to pitch all over again, if the loss is significant. It's a lot like the golf swing. It gets altered tremendously when there is significant weight loss or gain.
    Posted by Alibiike

Good point Ike.  But, to my naked eye, Bobby doesn't exactly look llike he is Biggest Loser candidate.  he looks like he did in his nasty prime.  He definitely ballooned over the past couple/few years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Can Bobby Jenks turn it around? : Good point Ike.  But, to my naked eye, Bobby doesn't exactly look llike he is Biggest Loser candidate.  he looks like he did in his nasty prime.  He definitely ballooned over the past couple/few years.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Haven't seen a picture. If it's only 20 to 25 lbs, probably won't affect his delivery that much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would take my chances on the slimmer bobby jenks than the jenks of the last few years. hopefully he will be ready to start the season as we really need him at the back end of the pen especially since bard is likely going to be a starter. a back end built around bailey, melancon and jenks would be pretty solid. keep aceves in as the long man/6 or 7th inning and in morales cuz we need a lefty (at least one) albers will probably make it. so we have bailey,melancon,jenks,albers,morales, aceves and the then last spot is up for grabs. I would like to see the sox sign mike gonzalez to fill that last spot as i feel this pen lacks a reliable shut down lefty. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I have high hopes for Jenks, if he's healthy.  Despite the 4.44 ERA in 2010, his peripherals looked pretty good.  Glad to hear that he had shed some weight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The weight loss at least shows that he cares , if nothing else.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts