Can Craig Breslow Get Some Love?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Can Craig Breslow Get Some Love?

Speaks to the strange power Softy holds over this board I suppose, but how can there be no thread today about Breslow the Beast and the pen at large.

Breslow last night, actually all year and especially down the stretch, has been an absolute beast.  And to come out throwing nasty strike after nasty strike and shutting the Rays down in a 1 run ballgame in crucial tense game like last night?  I just don't have enough ways to praise his work.  Totally awesome.  The unsung hero of many heros on this club.

The pen, Koji excluded, was pretty gassed in September.  But, perhaps it was wishful thinking, I figured this was just a matter of needing a few days off.  Farrell managed the pen well this year; I didn't think they were really burned out.  Looks like the rest/recoup was in fact all that was needed.  Breslow was super sharp last night.

And, Breslow-Tazawa-Uehara.  Mmmmm.  That makes me feel pretty good in the latter half of ballgames.

Oh, and while we are at it, lets give it up again for Uehara, shaking off the walk-off and coming back with a lights-completely-out 4 out save.  YIKES!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Re: Can Craig Breslow Get Some Love?

Hey Space,

Check out the 'who was game 4 mvp' thread if you haven't already.  Lots of love for Breslow there.  He was huge.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

craig + koji-san = awesomesauce.

well done boys, well done!

nice they get 3 days off to recharge and reload.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

and here I am clapping for the spaceman. great post bro as usual. Breslow totally rocked last night. Poor John was standing there scratching his head sayin how can I take this kid out after striking out 4 guys in a row???? Hey Space, how funny was that to watch Jenny Dell get totally soaked in the clubhouse celebration!!! I was rolling man. last nite was fkn epic. I loved it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Boston's pen last night,between Koji,Tazawa and Breslow- 11 batters faced ,7 Strike outs.

If they keep that up,the Sox are going to be hard to beat. 

"Another day closer to the parade"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Breslow is the kind of guy that somehow seems to fly under the radar. He was terrific last night and has done a very good job all season. He is now starting to get more recognition.

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

and here I am clapping for the spaceman. great post bro as usual. Breslow totally rocked last night. Poor John was standing there scratching his head sayin how can I take this kid out after striking out 4 guys in a row???? Hey Space, how funny was that to watch Jenny Dell get totally soaked in the clubhouse celebration!!! I was rolling man. last nite was fkn epic. I loved it.

Hammah, I havent had this feeling for a long time.  But, man, I was sleepless last night with pure PSYCHED UP ENERGY!!  I love these guys.  Big bats not workin?  No problem, leave it to the grizzled vet starting pitching, the magic bullpen, and the Jitterbug Posse.  So many ways to get it done.  So much fun.  Fkn epic indeed ... hahaha, you see these clowns b*^hing about champagne popping?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

Hammah, I havent had this feeling for a long time.  But, man, I was sleepless last night with pure PSYCHED UP ENERGY!!  I love these guys.  Big bats not workin?  No problem, leave it to the grizzled vet starting pitching, the magic bullpen, and the Jitterbug Posse.  So many ways to get it done.  So much fun.  Fkn epic indeed ... hahaha, you see these clowns b*^hing about champagne popping?

yeah I have and it is rediculiously laughable man. space, you and I both know who the real true die hard red sox fans are in this forum. I had to call in sick this morning at 5 am cause I just was so worn out from screaming my head off not only when we tied it but when we went up 2-1 with just plain balz to the wall HUSTLE. course when pedie did his pedie thing which is to somehow manufacture an insurance run I was completely wrecked. 9 fkn pitchers maddon rolled out. the fkn tbs guys were talking about if this does get to 5 games and I'm yelling at the tv for them to shut the fk up.........I go on record man. I totally blame John Farrell for this victory. the rookie showed incredible poise to get that walk man. and how bout the flyin hawaian just smokin down the first baseline? in all my years loving my red sox this has to be the fastest team evah!please god let them sign jacoby.....him and victorino are fkn incredible in the leadoff and 2 hole. this team is like a beautiful happy go lucky puzzle. you can take out a piece and put another one in. such depth I have not seen in years. and for that I totally blame Ben Charrington the executive of the fkn year. I'm gonna just sit back, crack open a cold one, enjoy the ride and just relish and look forward to the next game. criky space? can you believe this? what a fkn turnaround man. send me a message with your private e-mail and we can chat off line. messages are private now.

lastly, I loved seeing my manager sitting at the podium totally soaked last nite. didn't you!

whoooooooooooooooooooooooouh!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

How about the whole Pitching staff last night didn't allow any walks. That was big too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I started a thread about how Uehara and Breslow had the best second half in MLB history, but sadly, it was hijacked by softy.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

How about the whole Pitching staff last night didn't allow any walks. That was big too.

Yup. on a night when runs were tough to come by and Maddon was putting in a fresh arm every three minutes, the Sox pitching staff came up huge!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Breslow has been awesome all year. Mrs. Dobler, a fellow Eli, is elated. Though she admits she didn't double major in molecular biophysics and biochemistry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

You know when I first saw Breslow brought in to face right handed batters it was a mystery to me. Then I saw how his pitches broke away from right handed hitters the way that leftie Mike Cuellar used to pitch for the Orioles. Cuellar shared the Cy Young in 69, was a 4 time 20 game winner, and was lethal on right handed batters. What he threw mainly was what was then called a screwball that darted down and away from righties. What a great pitch to have so that you can get hitters out from both sides of the plate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I "liked" him on Facebook the other day. Does that count as getting him some love?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The concensus on this board going into the ALDS was that the Sox had a very good two man bullpen, Uehara and Breslow.   That seems to me to be more than enough love.  He is, after all, the set up man.  Was he crucial last night?  No question.  But so was Uehara.  And the starter Peavy went 5.2 innings while giving up 1 run, not too shabby. 

As for the spurious MVP of the game thread, I was stunned at how many wanted to give it to Bogaerts, which is absolutely insane.  The Sox won on pitching last night, pure and simple.  The lineup scratched out 3 runs on 6 lousy singles, 8 walks, and assorted HBP's and WP's.  No hitter last night deserves even the smallest mention in dispatches. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

The concensus on this board going into the ALDS was that the Sox had a very good two man bullpen, Uehara and Breslow.   That seems to me to be more than enough love.  He is, after all, the set up man.  Was he crucial last night?  No question.  But so was Uehara.  And the starter Peavy went 5.2 innings while giving up 1 run, not too shabby. 

As for the spurious MVP of the game thread, I was stunned at how many wanted to give it to Bogaerts, which is absolutely insane.  The Sox won on pitching last night, pure and simple.  The lineup scratched out 3 runs on 6 lousy singles, 8 walks, and assorted HBP's and WP's.  No hitter last night deserves even the smallest mention in dispatches. 

Totally agree with you on the great pitching but have to disagree with you that no hitter deserves mention. If Ellsbury doesn't drive Bogaerts to 3rd off a 97mph heater from a tough leftie, we might have lost 1-0. That was a terrific at bat and a game changer. Just my opinion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Kiss

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

Totally agree with you on the great pitching but have to disagree with you that no hitter deserves mention. If Ellsbury doesn't drive Bogaerts to 3rd off a 97mph heater from a tough leftie, we might have lost 1-0. That was a terrific at bat and a game changer. Just my opinion.

Also, I give it up to Victorino on the offensive side.  First, it was such a subtle thing, but it looked like his bunt attempt shielded the catchers view on the WP with Ells running.  He is so good at that.  The little things that dont show up in the box.  And then legging out the infield hit driving in the winning run.  He has been doing that stuff all year.  A master of small ball.  And it mattered last night.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to trouts' comment:

Also, I give it up to Victorino on the offensive side.  First, it was such a subtle thing, but it looked like his bunt attempt shielded the catchers view on the WP with Ells running.  He is so good at that.  The little things that dont show up in the box.  And then legging out the infield hit driving in the winning run.  He has been doing that stuff all year.  A master of small ball.  And it mattered last night.

Totally agree with you, though it used to drive me nuts when Jeter would lean over the plate and take one of Wake's floaters on the shoulder. In the post steroid era I'm a big fan of "small ball", especially in low-scoring playoff games where the little things can determine the outcome of a game. Another thing that bothers me is that players don't seem to have a clue about what a "productive out" is. It's like a ground ball to the right side when you need to get a runner to third. Oh well, hpoefully the next series will be full of tense moments like the last.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I applauded his acquisition deal. He and Koji are the best value and fit pickups that are playing critical pitching roles on this team. Wakefield, the old innings eater, isn't what I'm talking about.

And Wakefield has what to do with this season?

Sections
Shortcuts