Can Lackey pitch 225+ innings and win 22+ for us this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Can Lackey pitch 225+ innings and win 22+ for us this year?

Yes! Lackey will be rejuvenated with his old battery mate Napoli.... look for these two to carry the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Can Lackey pitch 225+ innings and win 22+ for us this year?

No. Dempster might be good for 200 innings though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Napoli signing sure has given you a lot of posting material.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Yes! Lackey will be rejuvenated with his old battery mate Napoli.... look for these two to carry the team.

Considering that Napoli is here to play FIRST and not catch, I don't see him having much influence on how Lackey pitches.

The key impact for Lackey is having a pain-free pitching arm...and then getting back to some of the bulldog pitching he did prior to coming to Boston. I don't see the catcher having an influence on this, and I don't foresee his winning of 22+ games.

First year back after TJ and I would hope to get 15/180 from him...and I think that might be overstating things. I hope he removes the showing up of teammates on the field as well which also has nothing to do with the catcher.

I think expectations like yours in the headline can only lead to criticism of the player by the fans and, in my opinion, would be unreasonable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Enchilada is just making fun of the Napoli 40+ HR thread.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Considering that Napoli is here to play FIRST and not catch, I don't see him having much influence on how Lackey pitches.

The key impact for Lackey is having a pain-free pitching arm...and then getting back to some of the bulldog pitching he did prior to coming to Boston. I don't see the catcher having an influence on this, and I don't foresee his winning of 22+ games.

First year back after TJ and I would hope to get 15/180 from him...and I think that might be overstating things. I hope he removes the showing up of teammates on the field as well which also has nothing to do with the catcher.

I think expectations like yours in the headline can only lead to criticism of the player by the fans and, in my opinion, would be unreasonable.

I'm pretty sure B was being sarcastic in the OP. I seem to remember him saying at one point that Lackey was an Angels saboteur sent here to destroy the Red Sox from within.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Ya think?  :) 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

What makes you think that there's anything to make fun of my thread? Napoli has capability to hit 40+ HRs.  He just doesn't have health to do so.. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

me being the eternal optimist I'm really hoping that our new skipper and his coaching staff has a major positive affect on our pitchers. Lackey must be bursting at the seams to get started and see how well his arm healed. also, just my humble opinion but I think that JF is gonna get Mr. Bard back on track and get his old swagger back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Count me among those who think Lackey will be better than a lot of people think. Can't imagine him going through a whole season without gitting the DL at least once, even if its just to catch his breath. Since we're talking pitchers, I believe Buchholz ends up with the most wins, and RDLR is generally regarded as their best pitcher going into the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The only issue with Napoli achieving numbers like Sean suggested is whether Napoli can stay on the field.  His historic % figures are among the best in MLB.

Will the less-demanding position of first base enable that?  I hope so, and good bet IMO, esp. given the final contract agreed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

What makes you think that there's anything to make fun of my thread? Napoli has capability to hit 40+ HRs.  He just doesn't have health to do so.. 

It certainly is reminiscent of the hyperbole & lofty expectations over the A-Gon signing.

I agree, that given perfect health and a smooth assimilation to the high expectations of Boston fans, Naps COULD be "capable" of hitting 40???  These are HUGE ifs, & demand a tempering of such expectations! 

Having said that, even with a more realistic expectation of 125 games & 25+ hr, I'm happy that the Sox were able to restructure this deal & secure a ONE YEAR, limited risk contract with a guy who has a reasonable expectation of having a big up side! 

Guys who keep missing these points, in the "BARGAIN" discussion, either lack the inferential comprehension to see the big picture win - win aspect of this restructured limited risk comparative nature of this deal, or simply like seizing upon silly self-delusional gotcha moments?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A ridiculous thread; Lackey couldn't win 22+ in AAA. And you know how many won these # of games in MLB last year? NONE. Also, very few did this in the past decade. He also had a 6 and a half ERA last year. Go back to sleep.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

A ridiculous thread; Lackey couldn't win 22+ in AAA 

Wins, is subjective.

Lackey won 12 games in 2011 posting the worst numbers of any starting pitcher ever. This is why the W/L stat carrys absolutely no weight. he can win 25 games next year with similar numbers to 2011 if he has run support and the BP is lights out.

a pitchers W/L does not reflect his ability.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Wins, is subjective.

Lackey won 12 games in 2011 posting the worst numbers of any starting pitcher ever. This is why the W/L stat carrys absolutely no weight. he can win 25 games next year with similar numbers to 2011 if he has run support and the BP is lights out.

Disagree. Show me the last mediocre 22 game winner.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Not 225+ innings and 22+ wins, but I expect a solid year from John Lackey.

However, I've been wrong before.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Wins, is subjective.

Hey Enchilada!  You've got a big fish / dolphin on the line!  Give it some line & let it run....... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Jeez, nice work Burrito, a lot of people took you seriously.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Lackey will most definitely win the Cy Young!  No doubt about it!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'm looking forward to seeing how a healthy Lackey pitches this year.

I don't expect an ace-like performance, but he could give Buchholz a run for his money.

Should be interesting...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I'm looking forward to seeing how a healthy Lackey pitches this year.

I don't expect an ace-like performance, but he could give Buchholz a run for his money.

Should be interesting...

I wish I shared this optimism!!!!  I am expecting a complete disaster, so any production above & beyond that will be a big surprise to me!  I hope to hell he makes me look stupid, as it seems we have little prospect of dumping this peice of garbage!  Given the fact that he will most likely be our bumb, I will be rooting like crazy for him to make me look the fool!  What the hell else can we do?

You still have fish on Enchilada, start reeling!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Lackey will most definitely win the Cy Young!  No doubt about it!

plus with that option kicking in

he's a BARGAIN ;-)

hope U R feeling better

Thanks!  :)  Not quite yet.  This stomach flu is a killer!!  Still, I get bored as hell in between runs to the john.  Hence, my posting during the day....

I forgot about the option!  Thank god we will be able to secure this shoe in for the Cy Young at next to nothing.  Oooops!  That one pushed my stomach back over the ed...... g .........e

Sections
Shortcuts