Can Lester Handle the Pressure?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Can Lester Handle the Pressure?

Unquestionably, today's game is a must win for the Sox.  With Shields pitching for the Rays (0.68 ERA in the last four games), Lester cannot have his usual 1st inning problems.  Do you think he is up to the task?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Myles-Standish. Show Myles-Standish's posts

Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure?

In Response to Can Lester Handle the Pressure?:
    [QUOTE]Unquestionably, today's game is a must win for the Sox.  With Shields pitching for the Rays (0.68 ERA in the last four games), Lester cannot have his usual 1st inning problems.  Do you think he is up to the task?
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan[/QUOTE]

My crystal ball in out for repair and I am not a medium or a psychic. All that I can do is to wait for the game and hope that Lester is up to the task.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Lester will probably get in early pitch count trouble.  Shields may throw another complete game shutout.  Sox are feeling the heat.  Who will step up ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Of course Lester is up to the task. 

Lester will be fine.  I expect Boston to win today, 3-2. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'm still waiting for Lester to mature emotionally as a pitcher

Where's Curt Schilling when you need him?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure?:
    [QUOTE]I'm still waiting for Lester to mature emotionally as a pitcher Where's Curt Schilling when you need him?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure what this even means. What would you change about Lester? He's a great pitcher, and seems to be very even-keeled guy. Lackey would be the one who consistently throws his hands up when a teammate makes an error and yells when Tito yanks him. Lester does none of this. I think he'll get the job done today and halt the skid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Lester gets very frustrated when things don't go his way, he just isn't obvious about it the way Lackey is.

I recall the game in Seatle last year when he was throwing a no no and the left field botched a play - DMac I think....He totally lost it from there......that's just one example....But he let's these things get the best of him instead of rising to the occasion.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not really sure what this even means. What would you change about Lester? He's a great pitcher, and seems to be very even-keeled guy.

I have no idea what he meant either.  Again, criticism without support is meaningless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure? : I'm not really sure what this even means. What would you change about Lester? He's a great pitcher, and seems to be very even-keeled guy. Lackey would be the one who consistently throws his hands up when a teammate makes an error and yells when Tito yanks him. Lester does none of this. I think he'll get the job done today and halt the skid.
    Posted by RonSwanson[/QUOTE]
    If you need a definition of what he meant, just watch the game. It speaks for itself. Shields has shown that he is a big game pitcher. Lester has not. Simple as that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]I'm still waiting for Lester to mature emotionally as a pitcher Where's Curt Schilling when you need him?
    There are not too many Schillings.  Some players respond well to pressure , and some don't. Which one is Lester?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yup - I like Lester and I love his stuff but it amazes me how so many Sox fans think he is a big game pitcher and could go head to head w/ the best of them.   He simply can not. 

They ask me to prove what I mean?  I say the burden is on them - show me some hard evidence that Lester is a big-game pitcher.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Yup - I like Lester and I love his stuff but it amazes me how so many Sox fans think he is a big game pitcher and could go head to head w/ the best of them.   He simply can not.  They ask me to prove what I mean?  I say the burden is on them - show me some hard evidence that Lester is a big-game pitcher.  

In 150 career starts he's 76-31 with a 3.43 ERA.  Only 31 losses in 150 starts.  Relatively speaking, he hardly ever loses a game.

His career record in September/October starts is 17-3 with a 2.78 ERA.

His career record against the Yankees is 8-2 with a 3.53 ERA.

His career postseason record is 2-3 with a 2.57 ERA.

There are very few pitchers in the game who have put up such consistently good numbers, including whatever you want to call big games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Did you miss Game 3 of the 2008 ALCS?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Forget his "career" numbers. His last few starts have been horrendous, right when we need him to excel. 40+ pitches in the first inning vs. the Yankees last time, 43 pitches in the first inning today. Clearly he is not right and not worthy of the moniker "Big Game Pitcher".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You seem to like averages by citing his 2.57 career PS era

Very misleading

What about his ERA of near 5 in the PS in 2008 AND in 2009 (the more recent sample)?

Wouldn't his ERA of about FIVE be a better reflection of Lester's PS abilities?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

the only problem i have with Lester is, he tends to throw way too many pitches in not enough innings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]You seem to like averages by citing his 2.57 career PS era Very misleading What about his ERA of near 5 in the PS in 2008 AND in 2009 (the more recent sample)? Wouldn't his ERA of about  FIVE  be a better reflection of Lester's PS abilities?

Career averages aren't really misleading.  He pitched very well in the 2008 ALDS.

I'm not trying to fudge numbers.  He has an ERA of 4.82 in his last 3 postseason starts and I'm very disappointed in his start today.  There are some negatives on his big-game tally sheet.

I hope he does better in the big games the rest of the way this year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Ah, NOOOOOOOOOO! Lester is NO ace!!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure? : Career averages aren't really misleading.  He pitched very well in the 2008 ALDS. I'm not trying to fudge numbers.  He has an ERA of 4.82 in his last 3 postseason starts and I'm very disappointed in his start today.  There are some negatives on his big-game tally sheet. I hope he does better in the big games the rest of the way this year. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Career averages ARE misleading....if you are building a FORECAST model you give a much greater WEIGHT to RECENCY

by the way, I take it that you missed Game 3 of the 2008 ALCS? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure? : Career averages ARE misleading....if you are building a FORECAST model you give a much greater WEIGHT to RECENCY by the way, I take it that you missed Game 3 of the 2008 ALCS? 

No, I didn't miss it, andrew, you can shelve the stupid sarcasm.  I did include it in the numbers for the last 3 postseason starts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to Can Lester Handle the Pressure?:
    [QUOTE]Unquestionably, today's game is a must win for the Sox.  With Shields pitching for the Rays (0.68 ERA in the last four games), Lester cannot have his usual 1st inning problems.  Do you think he is up to the task?
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan[/QUOTE]

Obiously not. He seems much more comfortable behind a real ace. Hes an excellent number 2. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Some of you seem to delight in making fellow Red Sox fans irritated. Why is that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Lester is simply one party to an inevitable team collapse...every Sox fan has to learn that regardless of how they start the season, the only phrase that counts for the sons of Tito is "see me in September". rIGHT NOW, sEPTEMBER HAS BEEN AN UNMITIGATED DISASTER, AND IF THEY AREN'T CAREFUL, THEY WON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS (OPPS, CAPS...SORRY). I see nothing about this team that screams "good" or "clutch". It's not just one thing, regardless of injuries, it's the entire feeling you get watching them play poorly. The whole team is in some kind of funk. They are just an awful thing to watch right now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure? : No, I didn't miss it, andrew, you can shelve the stupid sarcasm.  I did include it in the numbers for the last 3 postseason starts.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

hey you said he pitched great in the 08 PS

i disagreed and took G3 of the ALCS "off the shelf"

sorry if you think facts are sarcasism

but if you think he pitched great in the 08 PS then common sense would dictate that you may have missed G3

Sections
Shortcuts