Can Lester Handle the Pressure?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure?

Oh, and this year is his best ERA regular season in his career...this season...the one you are calling him out as not a big-game pitcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Bad-Scene doesn't think that it is a "bonehead" thread. He is very concerned about Lester being an ace in the clutch and he should know because he watches every Lester start on NESN in addition to the Yanks on YES. Now that is a baseball fan at its best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ""The*Babe"". Show ""The*Babe""'s posts

In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure? : Hey Danny, I think the more legit question is not whether he can handle the pressure but rather. Is Lester a big game pitcher in the Curt Schilling-Beckett mold...The type that steps up and puts up zero's and has a dominate post season stretch...to date I haven't seen that guy...certainly not in either post seasons of 2008 or 2009... Yesterday was a big game and he spit the bit...

Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

beckett hasn't been a "big game" pitcher in years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure? : beckett hasn't been a "big game" pitcher in years.
    Posted by "The*Babe"[/QUOTE]one post?...beat it, newbie...Tongue outWink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ""The*Babe"". Show ""The*Babe""'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure? : one post?...beat it, newbie...

Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

LOL...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]bean, let's give him the benefit of the doubt for 2011. Until he starts a playoff game this season, I can't answer your question, and really no one on this board can either. 2.57 ERA, 1.12 WHIP in 42 career playoff innings, I was at his 2009 playoff start, in fact I'm looking ironically at the ticket stub on my work wall...he threw 6 IP, 4 hits, and he gave up a 3-run homer to Tori Hunter...It was scoreless after 4 innings of work. His opponent pitcher threw 7-1/3 4 hits, and shutout the Sox offense---JOHN LACKEY....So how do you determine what a big game pitcher is. How many times has Lester thrown a great game in the regular season...countless times. He's been pretty good overall in the postseason, dominating v. the Angels in the 2008 ALDS--14 IP, 0 ER (1 run) 10 hits, 0.92 WHIP...pretty big game to me...you guys just are fishing for whatever you can find to make Lester look bad. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

once again we have someone looking at Lester's career PS AVERAGE

the 2.57 is largely driven by what he did prior to his more recent starts

If you look at the 2008 ALCS and the DLS of 2009, his ERA is closer to FIVE

Furthermore, in his last 3 PS Starts TWO of three were poor; especially the nightmare that was G3 of the 2008 ALCS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bad-Scene-. Show Bad-Scene-'s posts

[QUOTE]Bad-Scene doesn't think that it is a "bonehead" thread. He is very concerned about Lester being an ace in the clutch and he should know because he watches every Lester start on NESN in addition to the Yanks on YES. Now that is a baseball fan at its best.
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is a bonehead thread its valid, hes not a true ace but a very good #2.  I don't know why this thread bothers you so much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure? : I don't think it is a bonehead thread its valid, hes not a true ace but a very good #2.  I don't know why this thread bothers you so much.
    Posted by Bad-Scene-[/QUOTE]  If Jon Lester is not the "ace" of the Red Sox starting rotation, the team does not have one.  Yankee fans would more than welcome the Lester we know today if he was available to pursue free agency.  He and C.C. Sabathia would be an outstanding lefty combination in the rotation.  With respect to Beckett, most would likely say "no thanks."  Jon Lester would be the ace of the pitching staff of most of the franchises in the game today and his ability to handle pressure cannot be judged on the basis of a handful of starts.  He has come up big in those situations much more often than not.  A thread like this and it's rhetorical question is an in the moment reaction which tends to elicit emotional, subjective and shallow responses. Why many Sox fans and media do not embrace him for what he is, celebrate his success and give him credit for what he has accomplished is incomprehensible to outsiders.     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]bean, let's give him the benefit of the doubt for 2011. Until he starts a playoff game this season, I can't answer your question, and really no one on this board can either. 2.57 ERA, 1.12 WHIP in 42 career playoff innings, I was at his 2009 playoff start, in fact I'm looking ironically at the ticket stub on my work wall...he threw 6 IP, 4 hits, and he gave up a 3-run homer to Tori Hunter...It was scoreless after 4 innings of work. His opponent pitcher threw 7-1/3 4 hits, and shutout the Sox offense---JOHN LACKEY....So how do you determine what a big game pitcher is. How many times has Lester thrown a great game in the regular season...countless times.He's been pretty good overall in the postseason, dominating v. the Angels in the 2008 ALDS--14 IP, 0 ER (1 run) 10 hits, 0.92 WHIP...pretty big game to me...you guys just are fishing for whatever you can find to make Lester look bad. 

Good post.
    Many factors come into play with pitching, and it's not all about the pitcher himself.
    In the game in question, Lester was throwing 91-93 MPH. That's a far cry from 96-97 last year. The difference is either the result of injury or poor mechanics.

With decreased velocity, one has to be more pinpoint. Lester's strength is his stuff. He has never had pin-point command. So, was he trying to be too fine against the Rays in a huge game and ended up sacrificing even more velocity/depth of break?
    Was he trying to be something he's not?

To see many chastise him as a choke without knowing all the facts is ludicrous, but at the same time...board protocol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bad-Scene-. Show Bad-Scene-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Lester Handle the Pressure? :   If Jon Lester is not the "ace" of the Red Sox starting rotation, the team does not have one.  Yankee fans would more than welcome the Lester we know today if he was available to pursue free agency.  He and C.C. Sabathia would be an outstanding lefty combination in the rotation.  With respect to Beckett, most would likely say "no thanks."  Jon Lester would be the ace of the pitching staff of most of the franchises in the game today and his ability to handle pressure cannot be judged on the basis of a handful of starts.  He has come up big in those situations much more often than not.  A thread like this and it's rhetorical question is an in the moment reaction which tends to elicit emotional, subjective and shallow responses. Why many Sox fans and media do not embrace him for what he is, celebrate his success and give him credit for what he has accomplished is incomprehensible to outsiders.     
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE]

I agree he would be a nice #2 to CC the Yanks need a # 2 but Lester is not available.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]Bonehead thread.

AMEN.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bad-Scene-. Show Bad-Scene-'s posts

Good topic.